Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be the GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I dunno. Hagelin is a good, versatile player who can be a top-six guy in a pinch. The problem is we rely on him consistently be a top-six forward. I think it would behoove us to hold onto him unless packaging him with Del Zotto is the difference between a mediocre return and a stellar one.

For some reason I just have a good feeling about him and Lindberg as 2/3 of do-it-all 3rd line. If we had the pieces so that Cally could play his ES time on the RW with those two, that would be fantastic.

That is probably just me being pessimistically predisposed to the thinking that Hagelin will always be placed into roles above his head with this team. If they can package MDZ and Hagelin for a player that can actually fill that offensive role, I think they should go for it.

The only reason I added Hagelin is because I think he has far more value than guys like Boyle and Zuccarello, and could actually get a deal like that done.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
My original post was simply that the Rangers don't have enough finishers or high end talent. I thought bringing in Nash + Gabby would have balanced out this team ... but obviously we let too much of the grit and character of this team walk to bring in Nash thus resulting in trading away Gabby ... which now looks like a great trade moving forward with what we got back ... HOWEVER we still do need someone else on this roster who is a threat to score consistently.

Now there are some teams like Boston and LA that roll 4 deep lines ... and there are some like Pittsburgh that overwhelm you with talent in the top 2 lines ... but either way you slice it they have more threats than we do. Now I'm not sure if our lack of offensive punch is a result of poor coaching or not (some still want Torts out) but I do not think having more offensive forwards would hurt this team.

But there is a tremendous diffrence between getting Vanek, or having Gabby, and adding a playmaker/someone that can take the puck up ice.

Brassard helped.

Gabby did not. Neither would Vanek nor B Ryan really. Not Marian Hossa.

In short, wingers like that gives an extra edge to a team like Chicago. Boston. But they do not make a team. I'd love to get an improved Brassard, but if we pay what it cost to get a Vanek/Ryan, we must get a forward that can take the puck up ice and make people around him better. That is not Gabby, Ryan or Vanek.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yeah. Err.. misread that. I thought you said we only have one LW.

But even so, replacing Gaborik doesn't solve that issue.

It'd be nice to replace Gaborik's offense, but I agree that depth has been and is a bigger issue.

I think its really, really troublesome that the Rangers havent been able to fill bottom 6 forward and 3rd pairing defensemen positions from within the organization. Its a big problem.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think Dylan can make the jump next year.

I'm pretty confident he can too, but that's not the same thing as making sure that we'll be okay if he doesn't.

Look it what happened to our forward corps when Kreider wasn't ready for a big role? Relying on rookies isn't a way to be a successful hockey team. Allowing them the opportunity to earn their place on the team, regardless of the names above them on the depth chart, is.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Stepan is going to be a 4th year NHLer. Brassard is going to be a 6th year NHLer. These aren't kids anymore. They are young vets.

We are supposed to contend. Are they ready to carry the load offensively and dig our PP out of the hole? No. They need help.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
But there is a tremendous diffrence between getting Vanek, or having Gabby, and adding a playmaker/someone that can take the puck up ice.

Brassard helped.

Gabby did not. Neither would Vanek nor B Ryan really. Not Marian Hossa.

In short, wingers like that gives an extra edge to a team like Chicago. Boston. But they do not make a team. I'd love to get an improved Brassard, but if we pay what it cost to get a Vanek/Ryan, we must get a forward that can take the puck up ice and make people around him better. That is not Gabby, Ryan or Vanek.

Disagree.

That is what Stepan and Brassard are for. They need finishers, players like Ryan/Vanek/Hossa, and a new system. Nash is a very good player, but if anything, finishing plays is one of the aspects of his game that leaves you wanting more. He's best for puck possession and cycling, creating chances with his size/hands. He's honestly pretty similar to Hossa offensively, but not quite as good of a defensive player. Hagelin is a great puck possession/pursuit player, but he lacks finish as well. Great complimentary player, but he can't be the finisher on his line. He's a better fit on the 3rd line, although he's a solid 2nd line player. Getting a top-6 finisher moves Hagelin down and gives the Rangers forward depth.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Disagree.

That is what Stepan and Brassard are for. They need finishers, players like Ryan/Vanek/Hossa, and a new system. Nash is a very good player, but if anything, finishing plays is one of the aspects of his game that leaves you wanting more. He's best for puck possession and cycling, creating chances with his size/hands. He's honestly pretty similar to Hossa offensively, but not quite as good of a defensive player. Hagelin is a great puck possession/pursuit player, but he lacks finish as well. Great complimentary player, but he can't be the finisher on his line. He's a better fit on the 3rd line, although he's a solid 2nd line player. Getting a top-6 finisher moves Hagelin down and gives the Rangers forward depth.

I've been saying this all morning.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I've been saying this all morning.

OK, I need to clarify my feelings about this.

We need another skill-type player.

We do not need a Gaborik-caliber player.

Guys that strike me are Horton, Ryder, MacArthur, R. Jones, Stalberg, Bickell.

But, aside from Horton, all of these guys are 2nd/3rd line tweeners or just simply 3rd liners. We need to upgrade the talent level, but we don't need to do something drastic.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not in love with Ryan. He scores 30 goals and other than those 30 moments does absolutely nothing. It's like Gaborik but it's 30 goals instead of 40 goals.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Ryan, Andersen and a 2nd for Staal.

I would take that and run. Huge fan of Andersen, would be a great kid to have learn behind Henrik.

Anaheim is going to have to offload some goaltenders. They have 4 great ones.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I think Ryan + a pick is fair ... I'm trying not to be a homer.

I like Ryan, but his production has declined in the last two seasons, and he's a fairly one-dimensional player. Very, very talented goal scorer and player, who still has upside, but he's, as Machinehead said, sort of similar to Gaborik. Has the potential to be better, though, imo.

Andersen is a very good goalie prospect, and Anaheim has a ton of goalie depth.

Straight up is probably fair. Depends on if Anaheim thinks Staal will be ready to start the season.

I think I'd rather keep Staal, though, and move DZ.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I know I've said this before, and should say it again...

We have some great blueliners. And a great goaltender. A great goaltender makes a bigger difference when you've got a run and gun type team. The system we have set up right now is bad for Hank. Half the goals are deflections off of his own guys.

The Rangers need to be willing to move one of their good Dmen for a scoring forward. I think we'd all rather move MDZ than Staal, but it depends on the return. Another question is would a team be willing to trade Ryan for Staal with the knowledge that he might be signing for Carolina in 2 years?

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I like Ryan, but his production has declined in the last two seasons, and he's a fairly one-dimensional player. Very, very talented goal scorer and player, who still has upside, but he's, as Machinehead said, sort of similar to Gaborik. Has the potential to be better, though, imo.

Andersen is a very good goalie prospect, and Anaheim has a ton of goalie depth.

Straight up is probably fair. Depends on if Anaheim thinks Staal will be ready to start the season.

I think I'd rather keep Staal, though, and move DZ.

I agree but with the question marks on Staal I think straight up is more than fair. It would answer concerns on both teams especially if Moore can step up big next year (which I think he can) ... I think it comes down to dealing MDZ or Staal for a forward and as much as I would prefer to keep Staal ... I don't think MDZ for Ryan would be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad