GDT: 2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It would leave a bad mark in our long term prospect pipeline in exchange for a short term boost.

Don't get me wrong; Vanek is awesome. But doesn't he fall UFA next year? We would trade some of our best pieces just to gamble on the possibility that Vanek renew?

That's a stupid gamble to make.

Awesome, yes, no. Not a gamble, 100% stupid.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I never understood it. I don't blame someone for wanting privacy and all that. I'll just never understand how some avoid big markets their entire careers. They refuse to even attempt to be in a hockey market for even a year. Vermette was in Ottawa so that's fair enough but some guys...it boggles the mind.

Just like there are plenty of people who are happy working the same middle-level job their entire lives.

I can't stay in the same position for more than 2 years...I get bored and want a better challenge.

But there are some people who are content to work the same job forever...Some who want purely administrative jobs where they sit in an office all day long, just do their work and aren't bothered by anyone, and get paid an average salary. To them work is just a paycheque and they are happy to do something easy.

This exists in hockey too...They are the guys who don't much care of pressure of performing, they just want to play and get paid. It doesn't mean they don't like playing hockey...It just means they prefer to do it in peace.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I would not like that trade, but I would like for Vanek to be a top priority next summer. Incredible instincts and hands in front of the net. The Habs would also be unstoppable in the shootout with him and Chuck.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Is it safe to say MB is done ? At this time of the year they'll just wait until the beginning of the season to make adjusment

I would be very surprised if MB was content. I think he is targeting us being a contender in 2 years with the aim of having a window of several years and that hes open to anything that will bring us closer to that. Seems clear MB was trying to add a quality D man around the time of the Draft and I figure he is still looking at making such a trade.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Sure MB was sick of getting pushed around in the playoffs

Bringing the toughness to the Habs 2013

0019.jpg

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't think he's done. A lot of players out there not signed and teams that will need to make a trade before the season starts.

I can't imagine Bergy not getting some depth and size up front and on defense. Probably nothing crazy but we need more bodies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I don't think he's done. A lot of players out there not signed and teams that will need to make a trade before the season starts.

I can't imagine Bergy not getting some depth and size up front and on defense. Probably nothing crazy but we need more bodies.

Its those teams with Cap issues that I hope MB tries to take advantage of and hopefully it can be a significant move.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Of course the Habs are done. You didn't really think that Bergevin had other "balls in the air" did you?

This is classic, vintage Montreal Canadiens circa 2007.

We got our Samsonov, the rest is in god's hands - Marc Bergevin

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
Of course the Habs are done. You didn't really think that Bergevin had other "balls in the air" did you?

This is classic, vintage Montreal Canadiens circa 2007.

We got our Samsonov, the rest is in god's hands - Marc Bergevin

:shakehead:shakehead and refused to overpay for Vinny Lecavalier and then signed Brière while NJ signed Ryder for the same term and for cheaper.

All Bergevin did was hire his buddies so they can get nice jobs in the org. The guy will prolly turn out worst than Gainey.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
:shakehead:shakehead and refused to overpay for Vinny Lecavalier and then signed Brière while NJ signed Ryder for the same term and for cheaper.

All Bergevin did was hire his buddies so they can get nice jobs in the org. The guy will prolly turn out worst than Gainey.

That's what I don't get - yes I personally would've loved Lecavalier here and remain convicted that 5x5 would've gotten it done - but why does a busted up Briere with awful stats end up signing for much MORE than Ryder and Desharnais?

So far Bergevin has done very little to impress me but I will say that I'm very bitter about Gainey's tenure and will project a lot of that onto Bergevin until he proves otherwise. Hearing about "prices were too high" (but signing Briere) and "we build from within" (but not trading for better picks or acquiring more) doesn't reassure me - it reminds me.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009

Oh come on now. This hate that Bergevin gets is because people wanted him to spend money foolishly and become cap restrained in the upcoming years.

I don't know if these posters haven't payed any attention to what Bergevin has been publically stating or not but maybe they should start paying attention instead of getting mad because things didn't turn out like how they want the team.

Bergevin is building this team through the draft and doesn't feel that free agency is the route to build our core. It's meant for depth player acquisitions. However with the price range this year, Bergevin was not oer paying for services.

He is sticking to his guns and is seeing and going forward with his future plans. An annual contender, which most teams these days are from drafting their core talent and not spending money foolishly in FA.

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
Oh come on now. This hate that Bergevin gets is because people wanted him to spend money foolishly and become cap restrained in the upcoming years.

I don't know if these posters haven't payed any attention to what Bergevin has been publically stating or not but maybe they should start paying attention instead of getting mad because things didn't turn out like how they want the team.

Bergevin is building this team through the draft and doesn't feel that free agency is the route to build our core. It's meant for depth player acquisitions. However with the price range this year, Bergevin was not oer paying for services.

He is sticking to his guns and is seeing and going forward with his future plans. An annual contender, which most teams these days are from drafting their core talent and not spending money foolishly in FA.

hold up amigo

You can't signed Desharnais to a 14 milllions/ 4 years contract before the end of the season and expect people to respect you as a GM. The signing was so bizarre and made no sense. That is a lack of vision my friend.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Our core is not a player or two away from being good enough. We got to give our team some time to develop by itself, we are not only an "iginla" away.

Look at those top 4 seeds in this year playoffs.

We are not in the same boat at all right now, we got to let our core progress and then when the timing is good we can make some trades or pick up a great UFA..

Some of our draft picks are going to end up being servicable players and you do win with the core that you develop.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

This would make a ton of sense had it not been for the fact that a) we're just under the cap limit and have glaring holes in our defense and b) he just signed an expensive UFA to a NMC contract.

So, yes, in the imaginary world you live in - Bergevin's moves make sense.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Our core is not a player or two away from being good enough. We got to give our team some time to develop by itself, we are not only an "iginla" away.

Look at those top 4 seeds in this year playoffs.

We are not in the same boat at all right now, we got to let our core progress and then when the timing is good we can make some trades or pick up a great UFA..

Some of our draft picks are going to end up being servicable players and you do win with the core that you develop.

Defense, defense, defense.

We upgrade our defense and we become playoff contenders.

We've got the offensive firepower now. We have a weak defense that does not help Price.

That is the biggest issue facing the Habs next season. Markov playing worse as he ages, Gorges who has heart but not the size to be effective. Emelin with a banged up knee and we dont know how long for him to get back to being himself.......if that ever happens. Diaz who cannot play D and is one hit away from being out again with a concussion. Boullion who is a warrior but a small warrior. Tinordi who is big but is not yet a warrior. Drewiske........Drewiske???????

And then Subban.

And, Bergevin, a former DMan cannot recognize the need to overhaul our blueliners.

Briere will not hurt the team too much. Our D as it is now will definitely hurt our chances next season.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Defense, defense, defense.

We upgrade our defense and we become playoff contenders.

I agree, and upgraded properly he could solve a couple of issues with team toughness as well.

We've got the offensive firepower now. We have a weak defense that does not help Price.

Agree again... this is odd....

That is the biggest issue facing the Habs next season. Markov playing worse as he ages, Gorges who has heart but not the size to be effective. Emelin with a banged up knee and we dont know how long for him to get back to being himself.......if that ever happens. Diaz who cannot play D and is one hit away from being out again with a concussion. Boullion who is a warrior but a small warrior. Tinordi who is big but is not yet a warrior. Drewiske........Drewiske???????

And then Subban.

And, Bergevin, a former DMan cannot recognize the need to overhaul our blueliners.

Briere will not hurt the team too much. Our D as it is now will definitely hurt our chances next season.

Whoa, 3/3 .. you and I agree on this 100%. So if two knucklehead fans can spot the problems, why can't all the ex players in management? Its as if nobody ever wants to address the issue on the blueliene for some reason.

I think where you and I may disagree is Tinordi. I am very worried he will become a Patrick Traverse ....

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I agree, and upgraded properly he could solve a couple of issues with team toughness as well.

Agree again... this is odd....

Whoa, 3/3 .. you and I agree on this 100%. So if two knucklehead fans can spot the problems, why can't all the ex players in management? Its as if nobody ever wants to address the issue on the blueliene for some reason.

I think where you and I may disagree is Tinordi. I am very worried he will become a Patrick Traverse ....

Tinordi will be a very good DMan in the near future. He's not there yet. But we will be depending on him heavily.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
drewiske is really underrated, hes gonna surprise alot of ppl next year (if he gets the opportunity). dude is a solid all around 5/6 d-man

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
hold up amigo

You can't signed Desharnais to a 14 milllions/ 4 years contract before the end of the season and expect people to respect you as a GM. The signing was so bizarre and made no sense. That is a lack of vision my friend.

that's the thing, no sane Habs GM should expect respect from "people" (IE Habs fans and medias). Mission impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad