GDT: 2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Grant wouldn't go with this if he wouldn't know for sure....let's move on....Daniel Cleary?
Cleary isn't a bad option. Could play with Desharnais or Eller in a shutdown role until Gionta gets back. Would be solid on the 4th line until Gionta gets back, then you have an option between him and Moen.

Also lets us use Prust in the Top-9 for awhile.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
What "Montreal-Philadelphia deal" are you referring to?

The one that was rumored all day yesterday by the French media.

Involving Coburn and Plekanec/Gionta.

It was all day and MAG had it on his twitter, Louis Jean and another who was the main delivery of the rumor.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Horton JUST turned 28 like a month ago.
Okay my mistake. He's 28 not 30...

My point still stands. There's a lot of mileage on him and he's never going to be better than he is now. I get that Columbus has just had a great draft but the Bruins are contenders right now. They just came off their 2nd cup appearance in three years. Why leave?
If MaxPac is MaxPac, there are no reasons to trade him based on what I said earlier. Represents a minority of his type of player in our organization. And unless you get back a Kane, a Neal or something like that, you don't trade him. Yet, even if you get a Kane, would be neat for this team to have actually have more than 1 powerforward.
Would hate to lose Max and it would kind of defeat the purpose of getting the power forward if we didn't still have him here as well.
If anything we let Koivu go too soon. The organization thought he was past it, granted Koivu wanted something new himself, but either way he was "upgraded" at last...with Scott Gomez. This is the problem with Habs fans and fans in general, the grass is always greener on the other side...it's easier to cherry pick a players faults when you watch them carefully. It happened with Koivu, it happened with Plekanec, even guys who are far more popular like Pacioretty and Subban get judged unfairly to their comparatives based on watching too carefully.

I also struggle to understand the argument that Briere makes Plekanec expendable. Briere can't play a lick of defense. Signing Briere has no bearing on whether Plekanec is expendible or not. Before he was signed, he wasn't untouchable but we shouldn't be actively looking to move him beyond seeing what demand there is. After signing Briere...same thing.

Also...Pominville, really? You know he's the same age as Plekanec, right?
Koivu leaving was fine. Him leaving for nothing was terrible. And us replacing him with Gomez made absoltutely no sense whatsoever.
How many people would trade Patches for Kane?
Hmmm.... I would hate to lose Max and would do everything I could to not include him. But if it came down to it, yes I'd have to deal for Kane. That guy has very high upside.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
From what I'm reading on Twitter, sound like the Habs and Jagr are close to a one year deal. I guess with Pleks he might provide some offence. I'm on the fence with this, he's pretty much over the hill for a hockey player but he didn't look too bad in the SC finals.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Would hate to lose Max and it would kind of defeat the purpose of getting the power forward if we didn't still have him here as well.

Like I said, he becomes tradeable only if we feel that he wants to stop playing that game and becomes a finesse perimeter player. Still, I doubt it would happen but his last year's comment about a welcome change in his game, makes me wonder. We'll see how he starts the year.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I wouldn't mind Jagr at sub $3MM for depth. He's really old and lost his step. Don't care how much he works out. A LOT of miles on that body.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Like I said, he becomes tradeable only if we feel that he wants to stop playing that game and becomes a finesse perimeter player. Still, I doubt it would happen but his last year's comment about a welcome change in his game, makes me wonder. We'll see how he starts the year.

I don't recall this comment?

Can you refresh my memory

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Okay my mistake. He's 28 not 30...

My point still stands. There's a lot of mileage on him and he's never going to be better than he is now. I get that Columbus has just had a great draft but the Bruins are contenders right now. They just came off their 2nd cup appearance in three years. Why leave?
2 years is a big difference, but okay...

You don't know Horton. He's won a cup, maybe he wants something new? Maybe Boston wanted Iginla? This contract might look bad in year 6 and 7 - MIGHT. Up to that point, it's a good contract. After that you'll have to wait and see.

He was healthy most of the year until the end too.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I think the deal was Coburn, Simmonds, and Talbot

for

Plekanec, Beaulieu, and Moen.

And 24 hours later, that deal still makes little to no sense. Flyers have absolutely no use for Plekanec unless they are trading Couturier, which makes no sense as he's cheaper than Pleks.

Giroux, Lecavalier, Couturier. Not to mention Schenn. The last thing they need is a center.

I heard it was really close but Philly was asking more then what MB was willing to do.

That's always the response you give when your fake trade gets exposed.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
From what I'm reading on Twitter, sound like the Habs and Jagr are close to a one year deal. I guess with Pleks he might provide some offence. I'm on the fence with this, he's pretty much over the hill for a hockey player but he didn't look too bad in the SC finals.

Wanted Jagr 2 years ago. Anyways not much left on UFA and unless Bergevin makes a trade he's the best forward left. Worked well with Briere for the Flyers

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't recall this comment?

Can you refresh my memory

Something along the likes of the fact that he didn't have to be as physical as he was. Don't have the exact quote, but it was something like he was changing his game and it didn't really mean becoming more physical, on the contrary.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I have to think that signing Jagr is contingent on shipping out another forward, probably a winger. And you don't acquire Jagr to trade away Pleks... Interesting.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
And 24 hours later, that deal still makes little to no sense. Flyers have absolutely no use for Plekanec unless they are trading Couturier, which makes no sense as he's cheaper than Pleks.

Giroux, Lecavalier, Couturier. Not to mention Schenn. The last thing they need is a center.

I mean at least the value is somewhat close unlike most of these rumours. The team needs just don't makes sense for Philly though as you said.

I"d be happy with it. Not too concerned about his age because he seems to be willing to sign 1 year deals and worst case scenario we can flip him at the deadline for a 2nd rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad