GDT: 2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
lol i went to shower and got trolled... had a missed text saying pleks to philly for symmonds and talbot

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Continue here :laugh:

full.jpg

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Ottawa's d are fairly solid but the still don't have any second line wingers unless you count Colin Greening and Clarke Macarthur second line winger. Not only that, Silverberg this past year was a borderline 2nd line player who will become a surefire 2nd line player and they also gave up a 1st and top prospect so they can't become good players for the Sens and they can't use those assets to get better players through trade. And they lost their captain and heart and soul of the organiation. Even if you put Michalek or Ryan on the 2nd line with Turris then you have one of the above mentioned on the first line. Toronto is pretty much the same team though they added a guy who has 1 30+ goal season, will have the spotlight on him for the amount of money he's making, and is more likely to be a Martin Lapointe 2.0 than anything else. They added Bolland for an insanely cheap price and I do like that deal though.

Detroit did add a couple of solid pieces and Alfy fits in with their east/west possession style but let's be honest, I don't see them any more or less scary than than they already were since they were pretty damn scary. Boston just lost two of their top 6, 3rd line center, #4 defenseman, and Jagr and replaced them so far with Eriksson who is phenomenal but I don't see being much more (if any) better than Horton. Florida has done nothing, and Tampa used the room they used on the Vinny buyout on Hudler/Leino 2.0.

We replaced a one dimensional player who didn't show up in the playoffs and who hated Montreal with a slightly more useful one dimensional player since he can actually pass for the same amount of money. And a goon which helps.

Not saying this gives MB a pass because he still has a ton of work to do but let's look at the big picture here guys. The other teams in our division got marginally better AT BEST and to do it came at a heavy price. And we're only on the first day.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
OT but what's going on in Buffalo? I don't recalled hearing them even once today on tv. I don't even think I can name more than 5 of their forwards.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
hell some people still think Kostitsyn and Guimauve have some fuel left in their tank

but to be honest I think Galchenyuk is better than all of those and Gallagher as some potential, you're about right on everything else though
Of course Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Subban and Patches are a better young-core than the previously mentioned core. We all know this. It's just that the arguments,and Bergevin's excuses sound identical to Gainey's and that bothers me.

MB is way more up front about always being active, etc. Gainey was always revealing stuff long after it was too late. Not to mention MB understands the modern NHL way better and I believe we are much better off having him develop our pro scouting and front office than Gainey.

I will admit I hate the DD extension, but what I'm saying is he's been GM for one year, and he's already made mass improvements (with a long way to go). We're trying to guess his next move, but we just need to be a bit more patient before throwing him to the wolves.
Bergevin was as secretive as Gauthier today. I don't know where you get the notion that he's upfront... unless revealing his character fetish is something that took you by surprise.

People keep telling me he's been GM for one year and I shouldn't comment but that doesn't make sense - you assess a player, a coach, a gm as time goes on, in a continuous ever-evolving manner. As OneSharpMarble said, Bergevin looked like a genius with the Subban extension but then when he gave DD the extension and then Bouillon, the Subban deal looked reckless and unfair and arrogant. He didn't trust PK (Norris - 2013) but trusted Desharnais (who proceeded to suck, in case you don't recall).

So far he's been arrogant and full of excuses. Prices are too high? Too bad, make our team better or get bent, we're into winning, we're not in the excuses business.

Comparing the likes of Galchenyuk to Chipchura now. :laugh:
Because that's exactly what I was arguing. Sorry kid, you lost this one.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
52 deals signed today for a total of $360M.. Thank god we lost half a season to control those rising player salaries.. :sarcasm:

Naoned

Right, the Ducks want ANOTHER offensive D and no NHL ready RW to replace their 1st line RW.

Silfverberg was on pace for 17g/32pts in his rookie year and has good enough D to not be a liability+size. Noesen is another big scoring RW that was 21st overall pick 2 years ago.

Face it, Habs don't have young forward depth the Sens have. They only JUST started to stock up with McCaron/DLR/Collberg last 2 drafts after years of throwing away picks and young forwards for nothing.

Exactly. We might have that kind of depth in a 2 to 3 years if our prospects develop well. We're not there yet. That's what you get for trading your picks year after year (Tanguay, Moore, the Wiz...).

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
How is this contract going to be a burden exactly? Only 2 years. It's a really low risk move.

Agreed. Assuming his production is solid (doesn't have to be incredible):

-Replace Gio until Gio is healthy
-Bolster the PP
-Clutch scoring
-Mentoring our youngsters about the PP and big game scenarios
-Fully takes Gio's spot when Gio's contract is up.

Not the most ideal signing, but it's actually quite bearable.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
lol a few days back Kristo was worth a late 1st, now that hes traded hes unproven and not worth a thing, funny hf

anyway Ill take back what I said IF Bergevin makes a good trade to fix the problems but I dont think he will

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
OT but what's going on in Buffalo? I don't recalled hearing them even once today on tv. I don't even think I can name more than 5 of their forwards.
Massive rebuilding effort post-Hurricane Ruff. They're probably waiting for the dust to settle and will then look to deal some of their stars.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Glad we didn't get involved in the ****** contracts handed out today.

Good job Bergevin! :handclap:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Stephane Laporte
@laportestephane

J'écris et je réalise.

Montreal · blogues.cyberpresse.ca/laporte/

Stephane Laporte ‏@laportestephane 1h

Rumeur. Échange Montréal-Philadelphie. Coburn, Simmonds et Talbot pour Plekanec, Beaulieu et Moen.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
You guys are talking about our top 6 but it's our defense that worries me, specially with Emelin out until January.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
you want to bring Patrick Kane in Montreal? "best nightlife in Canada" Montreal?! he's going to die from alcohol poisonning within the first 2 years

Evander lol
(almost the same could be said about him tho :laugh:)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
You guys are talking about our top 6 but it's our defense that worries me, specially with Emelin out until January.

yea i really cant believe MB didnt sign a depth D like fistric
i guess theres still time tho, we still need a 4th line C.. unless we plan on using white for the entire season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad