GDT: 2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
You realize we have pretty much the same roster that finished 1st in the division, right?

I think he realizes that we have a couple of teams in our division that did get better and could knock us out.

We have skilled players no doubt, but we need to make some trades to make it more balanced. I saw some people here say we can put Briere on the wing. I really hope we don't he only plays good on center, just like Eller.

We have too many centers, we need right wingers.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
You seem to forget Gainey's ultimately fruitless and toxic reign prior to the Great Purge of '09. Patience patience patience. "We were in the running but the price was too high", yada yada yada

And then Gainey ran out of patience and SCREWED US OVER.

But this time is different. We can actually be patient because we have young players who will improve the team by themselves, simply by progressing.

Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Thomas will all elevate us organically. Bergevin can actually literally do nothing and our team will most likely improve.

I honestly would not have signed a single one of the deals that were signed today. All terrible. UFA is a disaster especially for us where we always have to overpay.

Habs4thewin

Jul 4, 2007
You seem to forget Gainey's ultimately fruitless and toxic reign prior to the Great Purge of '09. Patience patience patience. "We were in the running but the price was too high", yada yada yada

The difference is now, we are keeping our draft picks and prospects...Eventually, we will be in the running AND, will have the assets to close a deal...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Yeah, I was starting to wonder if I was the only to remember that. 'Standing Pat' could have become a gainey meme.
Standin' Pat Gainey and the Troublesome Few sounds like a rocking blues-rock band. Maybe next Jazz Fest.

MB has been way more proactive and communicative than Gainey. Like a draft class, a GM can't be judged so quickly. Let's give MB some time to find the right deal before we lump him in with Gainey.
How so? I literally cannot see the difference between Gainey and Bergevin. Except, of course, with regards to the god-awful contract extension to scrub players.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
Am i the only one having faith in Bergevin? This is not Houle or Gainey/Gauthier here. Marc got Briere for offensive depth purpose and now Parros. 2 missing pieces. Yes there are some more things to get but he can't get all these things in one day.

We got bigger in the future with Mccarron, Crisp and co. and maybe the summer shopping's not done yet. Everybody's freaking out cause they took the day off to see a blockbuster...but nobody is seeing that we ARE a better team than last may.

Briere still has gas in the tank and is good on the PP and in the playoffs. He's a great mentor for guys like Chuckie,Gally and Lars. The youngsters that compose more than 50% of this team will all be better (Chuckie,Gally,Eller,Tinordi,Beaulieu etc.) and Parros will be there to help Prust avoiding injuries and let him play his REAL role on this team.

Yeah we need a crease clearing defenseman and another powerforward I know it. But there's no confirmation Marc is not aware of it and will not take care of this before october.

Have faith guys. Our future is brighter than most people think. Just be excited at our blue chips being a lot better. Compare them with 1 year ago and imagine the same growing for this upcoming year. We will be good. And Price can rebound in a big way with Waite as a mentor.

I seem to be the only one excited and proud to be a canadiens fan here.

Bergevin is the sh@#, i love him. I have total faith in his vision, and agree with pretty much every move he has made so far. People on here are just so used to dumping on GM's that they can't wait to do the same to Bergevin.

Max et Guillaume

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
Wow I did not know he did that. That is downright terrible. The team reeks of desperation and no direction at the moment, shame because MB was given every chance to really start building.

every single credible source says we offered something similar to Philly. VL's agent confirmed this.

Also, there is a big difference between a 2 and 5 year term... Completely different.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Now that's...... Interesting.

I'm not saying in a skills competition has better, but he's big, hard to play against and will fight ( since Moen won't) and is what we need. No one entered the fa season saying we need a soft one dimensional midget at the tail end of his career. We need forwards with jam to protect our already prodigious number of small soft forwards. Every team in the league knows we are Charmin soft. Address that or all the clutch playoff performances by shrimpy briefs will be for naught.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Okay..

Look for yourself.. sort PP TOI
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....ort=avgPowerPlayTOIPerGame&viewName=timeOnIce

Look where Eller and Galchenyuk sit compared to the rest of the garbage on the team (DD, Gionta and Bouillon).

Briere is gonna take Ryder's spot, we're gonna see the same stupid lines.

I never said Galch and Eller played tons. But going into this year, Both will be playing a bigger role. I'm sorry but where does Moen come in? Even without Eller or Galch it's gonna be

Bourque-Plek-Briere
Pac-DD-Gally

Which is much better than what you posted. And frankly, I just can't see Galch and Eller not having an upgrade on their minutes, especially Galch.

Your numbers have nothing to do with the fabrications you're presenting as fact. All I'm asking is for you (and other posters) to complain about actual things, not exaggerating problems that likely won't arise.

For example, the PP Defence situation needs to be addressed 100% agree.

There's so much to talk about both good and bad right now, why do you need to make stuff up?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
And then Gainey ran out of patience and SCREWED US OVER.

But this time is different. We can actually be patient because we have young players who will improve the team by themselves, simply by progressing.

Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Thomas will all elevate us organically. Bergevin can actually literally do nothing and our team will most likely improve.

I honestly would not have signed a single one of the deals that were signed today. All terrible. UFA is a disaster especially for us where we always have to overpay.

You do realize people (possibly even yourself) said the exact same things about Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Latendresse, Grabovski, SKostitsyn and so on?

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
TSN 690 guys were trying to argue that Bergevin might have offered more than the Flyers.

Bergevin is on cheap guy :shakehead

You know I argued in favour of MB low-balling Subban because I thought he was going to be very intelligent, cautious and forward thinking with contracts but with these moves it just makes a guy say WTF?

- Low Ball Subban
- Give DD the moon
- Low Ball Vinny thus losing him
- Give Briere the moon

WTF is going on?

Naoned

How is Bergevin like Gainey 2.0? Gainey signed a bunch of overpriced FAs for a gazillion years and traded a top prospect for Gomez.

Bergevin is doing the opposite which is remaining patient. Briere is nothing compared to what Gainey did.

Agreed. Like it or not, the fact that Bergevin did not commit long term to Brière is a good thing. We needed scoring depth. And two years from now, youngsters will be much improved, and we'll have some cap space to pursue good free agents. Now was not the time to overpay. Sure, Clarkson would have been nice. But 7 years? That's insane.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
You do realize people (possibly even yourself) said the exact same things about Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Latendresse, Grabovski, SKostitsyn and so on?

hell some people still think Kostitsyn and Guimauve have some fuel left in their tank

but to be honest I think Galchenyuk is better than all of those and Gallagher as some potential, you're about right on everything else though

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Playing with Spezza, 1st PP minutes and 20+ minutes per game, there's little doubt that Ryan should far surpass Eller's totals this year.

I'm not attempting to compare the two...I'm simply illustrating the flawed logic that Eller is not more than a 3rd line player and won't be for another 3-5 years... You know, that dumb statement you made a few posts back.
Then why did you bring points in the discussion? You never watched him play but compared Eller to him based on a short season your comparison was dumb not my statement
So will Eller be a 1st line or 2nd line center this season? No
Next season? No
The season when Plekanec is gone? Oh so in a few years he will be more than a 3rd liner meanwhile Ryan will give the sens a real shot at the cup

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC

How so? I literally cannot see the difference between Gainey and Bergevin. Except, of course, with regards to the god-awful contract extension to scrub players.

MB is way more up front about always being active, etc. Gainey was always revealing stuff long after it was too late. Not to mention MB understands the modern NHL way better and I believe we are much better off having him develop our pro scouting and front office than Gainey.

I will admit I hate the DD extension, but what I'm saying is he's been GM for one year, and he's already made mass improvements (with a long way to go). We're trying to guess his next move, but we just need to be a bit more patient before throwing him to the wolves.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
i honestly dont really care if we get smashed this year, gives us a better shot at nylander/ekblad :). too bad this isnt 2015 tho t.t

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
every single credible source says we offered something similar to Philly. VL's agent confirmed this.

Also, there is a big difference between a 2 and 5 year term... Completely different.
[citation needed] And the quote from Vinny's agent saying that "term and money wasn't really the issue" doesn't count because that's not indicative of anything regarding the Habs' offer.

Agreed. Like it or not, the fact that Bergevin did not commit long term to Brière is a good thing. We needed scoring depth. And two years from now, youngsters will be much improved, and we'll have some cap space to pursue good free agents. Now was not the time to overpay. Sure, Clarkson would have been nice. But 7 years? That's insane.
Maybe don't commit to Briere at all?

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007

I don't think anybody forgets it. Gainey did a complete 180 in 2009 and prior to that he was super-conservative about making any moves. The problem with equating the two right now is that Gainey stood pat for several years making minor trades and mostly minor signings. Remaining patient, is not, in and of itself a bad thing. It's frustrating because Gainey's latter moves eventually put us back to square one. Bergevin has been here one year. He doesn't have to make waves yet. We are all sick of being patient because of the Gainey years. But we kind of went back to sqaure one, and while being to conservative is not going to help, we can't rush it either.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
i honestly dont really care if we get smashed this year, gives us a better shot at nylander/ekblad :). too bad this isnt 2015 tho t.t

we wont get smashed during reg season dont worry our draft pick will be in the 20s
We will probably get smashed during the playoffs :)

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

We wont get smashed, with a decent coach and Price we will hit around 7th-10th. It took drastic moves to get us into the top 5 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad