Post-Game Talk: 2013 NHL Entry Draft - The BoHo Era Begins

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
TBH I was apprehensive about Shinkaruk with the way he was falling,it really reminded me of the 09 draft and JS dropping down and how after four years of very uneven development,he's still a fringe NHLer.Also,someone on here posted that Shinkaruks interviews at the combine were'nt good so what was the problem? character issues? questionable attitude? bad breath? :D

I thought we might pass on him as well but by having that earlier pick and getting what looks to be a sure-fire NHLer in Horvat,we can take a bit of a risk on a faller like Shinkaruk who could be a real steal if he pans out.

Shinkaruks got great teeth though. Maybe its just jealousy.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I've been reading a lot on hfboards about Hunter Shink, and in typical fashion he's being knocked for being a ******, soft, arsehole, small, easy to push around etc etc..

but if you go back just before the draft this kid was talked about in no such manor and considered a very real offensive threat. Most mocks had him going a lot earlier then #24.

seems this is pick is another reason to just crap on the Canucks, but I couldn't be happier.
For weeks, it has been out there that he did not interview well. I posted in our draft thread about it when people would not even consider Shinkaruk within our range.

And in several rankings Shinkaruk was ranked in the early 20s.

-Hockey prospect had 24
-THN had him 23
-McKeens had him 22

And in their publications, they brought up the same playing concerns that are brought up now and the interview issues too. I don't see this as crapping on a prospect just because the Canucks drafted him.

Dado

TBH I was apprehensive about Shinkaruk with the way he was falling...

And that's appropriate. Doesn't necessarily mean it's bad to take him - all drafting is a crap shoot - but it does mean that a whole lot of somebody's see something we don't.

Only time will tell which perception is closer to the reality...

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
"My Dad's a dentist, my Sister is in her first year of University...my Mom, um... helps around the house."

:laugh:

I'll cut the kid some slack though; named Bo and raised in Alberta... he's bound to have a little chauvinistic red neckery rub off on him. :sarcasm:

Dado

Is anyone else a bit concerned over the fact that all of our best forward prospects are centres?

I'm a firm believer in building down the middle, so that part doesn't worry me.

Far easier to find a large, truculent winger than a large, truculent centre who isn't a bonehead.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
So the worst thing about Shinkaruk is that he comes off as cocky and rubs some people the wrong way. I can live with that, much better than having a really bad shot, skating issues, or other physical deficiencies.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Is anyone else a bit concerned over the fact that all of our best forward prospects are centres?
You can never have enough centers.

Better have to too many centers than wingers as it's easier to move said player from that role to other forward position (center -> winger) than the other way around.

Lundface*

Yeah, this draft has set us up for that perfectly. Horvat and Shinkaruk should be coming through right when the Sedins and Burrows retire. They both fill massive holes in our future planning. I really don't think we would have lucked in to a centre prospect like Horvat without giving up something of significant value.

Ignore the lines, but this is how old we will be in 3 years:

Booth(31)-Kesler(31)-Kassian(25)
Shinkaruk(21)-Horvat(21)-Burrows(35)
Sedin(35)-Sedin(35)-Jensen(23)
Higgins(33)-Gaunce(22)-Hansen(30)
Schroeder(25)

That's decent, and that assumes none of our later round picks make it. Ideally you want another top line forward, but you have another 3 drafts to get that.
If the twins are still around at 35, I would wager the would still be 2nd liners at worst. With their attitude, conditioning and work ethic its a good bet as well. Put them with a mature Kassian and it looks good to me.

Shinkaruk Kesler Kassian
Sedin Sedin Jensen
Jensen Horvat Burrows
Higgins Gaunce Hansen

Ideally if it's me though I want as much a mix of skill, size and sandpaper so I'd definately try

Shinkaruk Horvat Kesler - won't be fun playing against them
Sedin Sedin Kassian
Jensen Schroeder Burrows - If Gaunce develops well replace Schroeder, but I still have hope that Schroeder isn't done yet
Higgins Gaunce Hansen

Just for fun:) This is assuming Horvat/Shinkaruk either start right away in the NHL, or are there in the 2nd year.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hunter is winger.

Actually, both Gillis and Gilman keep referring to him as a C. Could he be a C long-term, in the mould of Kadri?

To me, it's important that this player is seen as a C/W by management, and in terms of development, than just a W.

StringerBell

Actually, both Gillis and Gilman keep referring to him as a C. Could he be a C long-term, in the mould of Kadri?

To me, it's important that this player is seen as a C/W by management, and in terms of development, than just a W.

Maybe I'm wrong, I was under the impression he played on Curtis Valk's wing the last two years. Why do you feel that's important for his development?

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
Does anybody else find it a tad weird that we drafted a guy named BO, and next we drafted a guy named HUNTER?

Something tells me that David Booth had a hand in this.

101112_booth.jpg

arsmaster*

I can see that. Not a full rebuild but perhaps a re-tooling, a re-defining of the core players perhaps.

Where have you been!? You and Tiranis, some of our more knowledgeable posters about the draft gone on draft day! What is this blasphemy?
Had to help family move, last second. Watched most of it on delay, so I had to stay away.

Although, stupidly checked my texts right around the 9th pick :cry:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Maybe I'm wrong, I was under the impression he played on Curtis Valk's wing the last two years. Why do you feel that's important for his development?

It would obviously make him more versatile if he could be developed at that position, and therefore more valuable. I know he's played the majority of his time at W, but he does show a similar capability at C. If he continues to do so, I would much rather they develop more to take advantage of the middle of the ice. Could only help him.

arsmaster*

I said at the time of the Shinkaruk pick that they should have taken Erne, simply due to how the game continues to be called. HS was the clear BPA though. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

The way the game is called, doesn't hurt Pat Kane.

When you are able to add a safer guy like Bo, it makes perfect sense to go all out on a offensive dynamo.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The way the game is called, doesn't hurt Pat Kane.

When you are able to add a safer guy like Bo, it makes perfect sense to go all out on a offensive dynamo.

The way the game is called actually does hurt Kane. He's able to still be effective, but not nearly to the level he should be, given a more level playing field.

I understand the logic behind getting a player like this to compliment Horvat, but why not go for another Horvat type here? If players like him are so coveted so as to be taken in the top10 of drafts, then why not continue to stock that type of player first? Guys like Klimchuk and Erne far more represent this direction than Shinkaruk does.

Again, he was the clear BPA at the time, so it's hard for me to slight the pick, and I'm more and more starting to think his centre capability played a role here, but I would have had no issue with the Canucks going with Erne or Zykov here than Shinkaruk, all things considered.

arsmaster*

The way the game is called actually does hurt Kane. He's able to still be effective, but not nearly to the level he should be, given a more level playing field.

I understand the logic behind getting a player like this to compliment Horvat, but why not go for another Horvat type here? If players like him are so coveted so as to be taken in the top10 of drafts, then why not continue to stock that type of player first? Guys like Klimchuk and Erne far more represent this direction than Shinkaruk does.

Again, he was the clear BPA at the time, so it's hard for me to slight the pick, and I'm more and more starting to think his centre capability played a role here, but I would have had no issue with the Canucks going with Erne or Zykov here than Shinkaruk, all things considered.

Klimchuk is pretty much the same side, it's a high upside offensive player selection, on a kid that has a non-stop motor and competes hard even at his size.

While I don't put a huge bank on the TSN comps, but they used Zach Parise, so it's not as if they've gone after a kid who is skilled but scared.

Hunter will go where ever he has to on the ice.

We all liked Erne and Zykov....I was hoping once Zykov fell passed 34 we would find some way to trade up for him, but like you said, Hunter was the BPA. Hard to complain.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Gillis did a lot of good for our future yesterday, as much as it sucks to lose Schneider we now have a legit future and shouldn't have to worry about what happens after the Sedins or how long till we are the Flames cause our cupboards are filling up very nicely now. I'm pretty excited about this team prospects now and we still have Ericksson, Lack and Cannata for future goalies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Klimchuk is pretty much the same side, it's a high upside offensive player selection, on a kid that has a non-stop motor and competes hard even at his size.

While I don't put a huge bank on the TSN comps, but they used Zach Parise, so it's not as if they've gone after a kid who is skilled but scared.

Hunter will go where ever he has to on the ice.

We all liked Erne and Zykov....I was hoping once Zykov fell passed 34 we would find some way to trade up for him, but like you said, Hunter was the BPA. Hard to complain.

Klimchuk is a 200ft player, Shinkaruk is not.

He was the BPA, which is why this is difficult to pursue. It was more about getting a Horvat type later on, in which case the traits of say Erne would be favoured over the more 1way talent of Shinkaruk.

Basically, draft like players instead of complimentary players. If they valued those traits so highly in Horvat to take him 9th overall, why didn't they do it again with a player like Klimchuk or Erne? I guess they gave thought to the Sedins' decline and say why not, take the scorer.

arsmaster*

Klimchuk is a 200ft player, Shinkaruk is not.

I'm going to say that it is not nearly that black and white.

I've watched plenty of Regina to see Klimchuk leave the zone early is search of offense. I think when your drawing Parise comps, you're probably not just a one trick pony.

I think Hunter being better offensively automatically makes some assume, he's worse defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad