Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punxrocknyc19*

besides Myles Bell who is now considered an LW on hockeydb.com, who are the draftable overage players?? any surprise players like Ryan Callahan or Andrew Shaw type overages with NHL potential that can make the NHL within 1-2 years at most..

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Yeah, barring a miracle, next year is it here for MB. Talbot is an OK prospect who I like the style of, but that shouldn't stop us from shopping the European shores, particularly the SEL for another goaltender.
Are there any other goalies that can be picked up from the SEL or in Europe for that matter? I've heard Sebastian Idoff before as a possibility.

But he did and probably did for a reason. Can't really explain why Vancouver keeps attracting these elite G prospects, despite a talented pool in NHL, AHL and college levels.

Ericsson would've been perfect on a 2 yr ELC. His first season, he spends the year in the AHL while Biron and Hank share NHL duties. By year 2 of his ELC, Biron is most likely moved and he takes the backup spot.

Also look at the Bruins continuing to sign/trade for G prospects when they had Thomas/Rask tandem. They signed Niklas Svedberg, who was the best AHL goalie this year. They also traded for Anton Khudobin for AHL depth a year ago. B's also drafted Hutchinson, who is also a solid tender prospect in 2008.

The Rangers don't pursue high end G prospects for some reason. Henrik alone can't be used as an excuse when teams with bigger depth at G are signing these guys.
You do realize that Thomas is not in Boston anymore right? :laugh: I get exactly what you mean, though. After Rask and Khudobin, the Bruins have solid goaltending. Svedberg is a diamond in the rough.

besides Myles Bell who is now considered an LW on hockeydb.com, who are the draftable overage players?? any surprise players like Ryan Callahan or Andrew Shaw type overages with NHL potential that can make the NHL within 1-2 years at most..

JC Lipon is a solid choice, but I would much rather choose Bell.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
A guy I would love to snag in the late rounds is Andrew Copp, forward out of Michigan.

He's an overager, but he is so incredibly raw. He was an all-state HM QB for his high school football team, but lost his senior year to a broken collarbone. Played with the USNDTP (only home games) as a fourth liner/healthy scratch, so didn't garner much attention. Went to Michigan for hockey (lived in Ann Arbor his entire life), was a scratch for the first half of the season, then he scored 17 points in his last 20 games or something ridiculous. This was also on a defunct Michigan team.

He and Boo have good chemistry. He's a Callahan clone- he's a good skater, hits hard, hits often, extremely good defensively, is tough, has a knack for scoring dirty goals, and has great leadership abilities. Was voted an alternate captain of next year's Michigan team despite only really playing in the second half of the season last year as a freshman. Will be a sophomore Alternate Captain.

Has a ton of talent, and will be used in all roles next year at Michigan. Ideally could develop into that perfect 3rd/4th liner we are looking for (A la Nystrom, but much better).

He's better suited for wing, but as a small plus he's also pretty good in the circle, winning 54.5% of his FOs last year.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Copp is an interesting player, but remember, he's not making his way onto this team anytime soon, even if he is almost a year older than this draft class. This draft won't supply us with players that will help the immediate roster.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Copp is an interesting player, but remember, he's not making his way onto this team anytime soon, even if he is almost a year older than this draft class. This draft won't supply us with players that will help the immediate roster.

Oh absolutely. He'll be without a doubt a 4-year Michigan player and then probably a year or two in the A. I'm thinking in the 5th or 6th rounds, though, he's worth a shot.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Oh absolutely. He'll be without a doubt a 4-year Michigan player and then probably a year or two in the A. I'm thinking in the 5th or 6th rounds, though, he's worth a shot.

5th or 6th round sounds about right. Good spot to get a player like this, versatile, if not spectacular.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
5th or 6th round sounds about right. Good spot to get a player like this, versatile, if not spectacular.

Man I am hoping that they can add some later round picks this year if they don't add a 1st or 2nd. They need to get a few players from this draft. The more picks the better.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
A guy I would love to snag in the late rounds is Andrew Copp, forward out of Michigan.

He's an overager, but he is so incredibly raw. He was an all-state HM QB for his high school football team, but lost his senior year to a broken collarbone. Played with the USNDTP (only home games) as a fourth liner/healthy scratch, so didn't garner much attention. Went to Michigan for hockey (lived in Ann Arbor his entire life), was a scratch for the first half of the season, then he scored 17 points in his last 20 games or something ridiculous. This was also on a defunct Michigan team.

He and Boo have good chemistry. He's a Callahan clone- he's a good skater, hits hard, hits often, extremely good defensively, is tough, has a knack for scoring dirty goals, and has great leadership abilities. Was voted an alternate captain of next year's Michigan team despite only really playing in the second half of the season last year as a freshman. Will be a sophomore Alternate Captain.

Has a ton of talent, and will be used in all roles next year at Michigan. Ideally could develop into that perfect 3rd/4th liner we are looking for (A la Nystrom, but much better).

He's better suited for wing, but as a small plus he's also pretty good in the circle, winning 54.5% of his FOs last year.

You have me sold. I'm sure Rangers scouts got a good look at him scouting Boo this season. Definitely worth a risk in the later rounds.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Ugh, with no first or second rounder, I kind of just want to get the draft over with.

Having said that, 1) who are some of your favorite goalie prospects that can be had in the third round or later? I know it's hard to evaluate goalies, but we need goalie depth badly.

And 2) Do you guys think that Cam Talbot is ready to be Lundqvist's full-time backup? Maybe we can trade Biron?

Last edited:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Ugh, with no first or second rounder, I kind of just want to get the draft over with.

Having said that, who are some of your favorite goalie prospects that can be had in the third round?

Fucale and Comrie will probably be off the board by the time we pick. I'd look to the Rangers to look at Calvin Peterson out of Waterloo of the USHL and Juuse Saros out of Finland as my picks.

I have a feeling we'll see the Rangers use the Nashville and Columbus 3rd rounders to move up to the 45-50 overall territory. Guys taken in this range have first round talent. There's a lot of good players between 25-45 overall or so.

Jimmy Lodge, Justin Bailey, JT Compher, John Hayden, Connor Hurley. Big bodied kids that have room to grow. The US has been churning out some awesome players lately, take a flyer on one of them. This year the difference between picks 25-50 is going to come down to who made a good impression on a GM or scout. It really is a crapshoot this year.

EDIT: I'll let one of our resident Whalepack watchers answer the question about Talbot, but from what I've read he's the difference between winning and losing most nights. He's had to stand on his head a few games. I think Biron is the back up this coming season. Talbot will be ready for NHL back up duties in the 2014-15 season provided he doesn't take a major step back this season in Hartford.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
"I don't think it's as deep as I've been told by you guys," said Murray. "But in saying that I think the top end is good.

"The first couple of rounds are decent. At the top of the first round is very good. I think it's a decent draft. I find that we find out after a couple of years which draft was good and which draft wasn't good.

"We can talk all we want, but it plays out. Can a guy play (next year) at No. 17? Sure. Are we expecting that? No."

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/06/25...up-from-no-17-spot-at-nhl-draft-in-new-jersey

Tim Murray doesn't agree with some media sentiment about it being a great draft.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Having said that, 1) who are some of your favorite goalie prospects that can be had in the third round or later? I know it's hard to evaluate goalies, but we need goalie depth badly.

And 2) Do you guys think that Cam Talbot is ready to be Lundqvist's full-time backup? Maybe we can trade Biron?

I think if he were needed to back-up this season he could, but another season in the AHL will not hurt him.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
You can't tell how good a draft was until 4 or 5 years have gone by. All of this "it's so deep" or "it's very weak" only ever pertains to the top players and their projected ceilings. Fans like to make it seem as if it means that the 2nd and 3rd round will be teeming with future NHLers.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Cal Peterson, been talking him up for months. If we pick a goalie he's our guy, going to Notre Dame to play with Steven Fogarty.

I wouldn't trust Talbot to give him the backup job. He's got talent, but has to prove it at the highest level, and playing every once and awhile is a big adjustment.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/06/25...up-from-no-17-spot-at-nhl-draft-in-new-jersey

Tim Murray doesn't agree with some media sentiment about it being a great draft.

It's not great. It's deep, theres a difference.

I agree with Murray.

You would, when was the last time you said any draft was looking good before the fact?

Drafts like 2003 don't come around often, yet if the draft doesn't seem like it has top talent throughout it's a 'okay' draft.

You can't tell how good a draft was until 4 or 5 years have gone by. All of this "it's so deep" or "it's very weak" only ever pertains to the top players and their projected ceilings. Fans like to make it seem as if it means that the 2nd and 3rd round will be teeming with future NHLers.

Agreed.

I've watched the NHL draft closely for over 25 years, no one knows what to make of any said draft until years after it's taken place. High at the top there will be players, but throughout the rest of the rounds year in year out teams find good or great players.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I think it's an above average draft. Not a 2003 draft. Better than last year quite easily.

Yeah, the value from 20-60 is solid, if this draft pans out there could be many big league players, of varying levels of skill, but NHL talent nonetheless.

Again, too soon to know, but looking at some of these guys they have a good deal in common with the prospects that are making it in todays game.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Even without moving up, there's a fair chance that those 3 picks between 65 and 80 can result in 2 depth players.

They wont be game breakers by any stretch, but they should be guys who can push more expensive bottom 6/bottom pair players out in a few years, allowing us to spend the money on (hopefully good) top players. If we can get 2 'role players' out of current picks i'll consider it a good draft

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
How about thinking outside the box a bit...

Who were MZA linemates in Europe when he lit up that league as a playmaker?

Maybe they are already here on other teams, or too old. I have no idea but it's worth some consideration considering the lack of scoring

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah, the value from 20-60 is solid, if this draft pans out there could be many big league players, of varying levels of skill, but NHL talent nonetheless.

Again, too soon to know, but looking at some of these guys they have a good deal in common with the prospects that are making it in todays game.

I don't disagree. But thats why I agree with Murray. Some have been saying this is 2003 all over again. I don't see it. I see a solid draft, though.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Comrie, Saros, Sionas, Bartosak, Guigovaz, Gracnar, Hogberg, and Petersen would be the goalies I'd be happy in selecting. Gracnar IMO is a steal in the later rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad