2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)- Offseason FA and trade talk Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

apice3*

Lovely day here at the Bassmasters. It appears the local fan favorite is going big today. Seems to be throwing back any bass he catches. If I didn't know any better, I'd think he was trying to catch a Great White.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lovely day here at the Bassmasters. It appears the local fan favorite is going big today. Seems to be throwing back any bass he catches. If I didn't know any better, I'd think he was trying to catch a Great White.

Only rednecks bass fish.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Oh make no mistake, I do honestly believe Kovalchuk is a terrible hockey player who is ruining the Devils organization... and make no mistake I do believe anyone 6'3'' 230lbs avoids body contact at all cost is a pos...and make no mistake I do believe that any player that constantly puts his team in difficult situations with bad decisions doesn't belong in New Jersey....

The fun part for me is you'll's denial of these facts and the the fact that you'll defend this sorry excuse of player no matter what....you guys can see Kovalchuk commit twice as many turnovers as anyone in the league and make an excuse for it.. we can have the worst pp in the league and you'll blame whoever the coach is running the pp...we can miss the playoffs for the first time 2 of 3 years in the last 20+ years and the reasons will be many but never the guy who can't score an even strength goalwhile playing 26 minutes a game.

Well whether you like him or not were kind of stuck with him for the next 8 years or whatever the insane contract was so there's really no point in arguing about him. He'll never be traded since the contract is an issue and once Brodeur and Elias retire were going to be poor in the marketable players department so they wouldn't move him anyway. Its up to Lou to actually build something around him to help him succeed, especially with how old half the roster is. So far he hasn't done a particularly great job. He'll have another crack it in a few weeks.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I bet Kovy has caught some pretty big fish before. And if not, he can definitely buy some with that contract of his (which is a bargain of a cap hit by the way)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I bet Kovy has caught some pretty big fish before. And if not, he can definitely buy some with that contract of his (which is a bargain of a cap hit by the way)

A bargin cap hit????? Real freakin bargain, it only cost 3 million in fines a 3rd pick and next years 1st... whattabagin!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oh wait... that's fishing, right? People say stupid **** and you're not supposed to answer or it's trolling... that's how it works, right?

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
A bargin cap hit????? Real freakin bargain, it only cost 3 million in fines a 3rd pick and next years 1st... whattabagin!

He's still one of the more talented goal scorers in the NHL at a lower cap hit than a number of forward who are far less productive. If you want to believe this team's financial problems are a real thing in regards to the freedom of hockey ops to build the team they would want to, then it IS a bargain to get a player of that caliber for less than "market value" on a yearly basis.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
He's still one of the more talented goal scorers in the NHL at a lower cap hit than a number of forward who are far less productive. If you want to believe this team's financial problems are a real thing in regards to the freedom of hockey ops to build the team they would want to, then it IS a bargain to get a player of that caliber for less than "market value" on a yearly basis.

I'm inclined to lean with the flymaster on this. His bargain caphit is a bargain if we spend to the cap. If we are unable because we are paying him $11mill a year then it makes no difference until the annual payouts decrease at which point Kovy will be in decline anyway.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I'm inclined to lean with the flymaster on this. His bargain caphit is a bargain if we spend to the cap. If we are unable because we are paying him $11mill a year then it makes no difference until the annual payouts decrease at which point Kovy will be in decline anyway.

But its purely speculative over as to the reason for not spending to the cap (be it believing the financial issues or otherwise). Is it because this team just doesn't spend to the cap/always tries to maintain some cap "flexibility" for deadline acquisitions if deemed necessary? Or is it because of the real dollars being spent on payroll for the season? That's something we couldn't quite say. But building on to that point, the first two years of the contract was paying out $6 mil in real dollars, which is DEFINITELY a bargain for his production.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Oh make no mistake, I do honestly believe Kovalchuk is a terrible hockey player who is ruining the Devils organization... and make no mistake I do believe anyone 6'3'' 230lbs avoids body contact at all cost is a pos...and make no mistake I do believe that any player that constantly puts his team in difficult situations with bad decisions doesn't belong in New Jersey....

The fun part for me is you'll's denial of these facts and the the fact that you'll defend this sorry excuse of player no matter what....you guys can see Kovalchuk commit twice as many turnovers as anyone in the league and make an excuse for it.. we can have the worst pp in the league and you'll blame whoever the coach is running the pp...we can miss the playoffs for the first time 2 of 3 years in the last 20+ years and the reasons will be many but never the guy who can't score an even strength goalwhile playing 26 minutes a game.

It's great that you have a set of beliefs that resemble no semblance of reasoning with any NHL coach, general manger, or owner. Kovalchuk is part of the NHL and takes hits on a constant basis and has the highest ice time of any forward league. Him not shelling out hits like nearly every superstar in the league is something that shouldn't be criticized by someone who never has come close to playing any professional sport or probably any type of sport for that matter. Unless of course you consider yourself a "POS".

It's like you attach yourselves to specificity and use no real method of reasoning by observing the whole picture. I don't know what facts anyone is denying besides the ones that lie in front of you. Kovalchuk does not commit twice as many turnovers, plays heavy ice time with a large amount of puck possession (meaning that everyone with this role commits more turnovers), the Devils powerplay is not the worst in the league and was only the worst when Kovalchuk was not in the lineup before NJD and when he was injured, we missed the last 2 out of 3 years because of coaching and injuries, and we won the Eastern Conference for the first time in 9 years since Kovalchuk entered. I know a run to the SCF is much more valueable than any of the 1st or 2nd round exits. Kovalchuk has not only led the entire team in goals since he joined the team but also in points. He's doing his job quite well considering that he's known to be a top 5 forward in the league.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So it's Kovy's fault Brick City/Chambers pulled out of ownership and VBK wound up with holes in his pocket...alrighty then. By that standard, Leipold should already be in Chapter 9 after the Parise and Suter deals.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

His contract is nowhere comparable to his production. If it makes you feel better to have a 6.66 cap hit while paying 11 million for a top 20 point producer who plays an incomplete game....feel free to fool yourself into believing you got a deal.

He wasn't in the top 75 in scoring and over 125 players had more points than he did this season but he was in the top 10 in pay...tell me about that bargain again?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So it's Kovy's fault Brick City/Chambers pulled out of ownership and VBK wound up with holes in his pocket...alrighty then. By that standard, Leipold should already be in Chapter 9 after the Parise and Suter deals.

Keep defending the faith my faithful jihadist.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
His contract is nowhere comparable to his production. If it makes you feel better to have a 6.66 cap hit while paying 11 million for a top 20 point producer who plays an incomplete game....feel free to fool yourself into believing you got a deal.

He wasn't in the top 75 in scoring and over 125 players had more points than he did this season but he was in the top 10 in pay...tell me about that bargain again?

The 2nd section is tremendous. Trying to put people on the same scale of overall point production despite a different number of games being played. You're ignoring a key aspect of the whole thing though....

#Injuries

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Kovy didn't have a good (cough) year...by year being thirty-five games or whatever it was. And even with that for all the talk of his idiosyncrascies and how he's supposedly bad for the team they were still a lot better with him than without him. When the guy has that kind of impact on the team in a poor - for him - year, there's no argument about whether he's an asset to the team or not.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The 2nd section is tremendous. Trying to put people on the same scale of overall point production despite a different number of games being played. You're ignoring a key aspect of the whole thing though....

#Injuries

#filterbygamesplayed

Not much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad