2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)- Offseason FA and trade talk Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well then why don't we do this...Minnesota the year before Parise: .494 win% - with Parise .574

New Jersey (2009-10) before the Kovalchuk trade .648 Win%
New Jersey after the trade including playoffs .4375 Win%

While I don't agree with you about Kovalchuk causing the team to miss the playoffs, I absolutely do think that if we had Parise this year then we might make the playoffs. We may win a couple of those games during the 10 game losing streak.

Hell, 3 of those losses were in the shootout alone. Parise could have scored some shootout goals when the rest of the guys really couldn't.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My Hartford fan friend insists Pierre McGuire was actually a worse coach than Mac lol. His record wasn't anywhere near that bad (and he didn't have a team anywhere near that talented), but they did have a ton of off-ice issues and Pierre went on a Keenan-like power trip haha.

But no, just the evidence of 2011 is enough to show Mac was the worst coach in history for me. I mean what team has ever gone from absolute expansion-level performance to elite team of all time performance in a half-season?

That was a powerhouse of a team? We couldn't even ice a full lineup at a certain point of the year.

They were sure a powerhouse in the second half, or at least had a '76 Canadiens-like half season record-wise.

apice3*

Breaking news on Sportscenter. Research shows when a team adds 2 superstars, their win percentage goes up.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
My Hartford fan friend insists Pierre McGuire was actually a worse coach than Mac lol. His record wasn't anywhere near that bad (and he didn't have a team anywhere near that talented), but they did have a ton of off-ice issues and Pierre went on a Keenan-like power trip haha.

But no, just the evidence of 2011 is enough to show Mac was the worst coach in history.

2 pages worth of stuff on how much of a tool he is

http://articles.courant.com/1994-05-21/sports/9405210429_1_pierre-mcguire-whalers-general-manager-paul-holmgren

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why does every thread have to turn into Jim's private Kovy-Parise nonsense? Why, WHY, WHY!!! :banghead: Talk about beating a dead horse, this is dragging a decomposed horse's bones out of the ground and beating those.

Fer crying out loud, nobody's denying Parise helps a hockey team - in the regular season anyway. Sure doesn't help all that much in the playoffs. Nobody's saying he hurts a team the way you claim Kovy does though. How about the team's record this year with Kovy and without Kovy? Or the record two years ago with Kovy and without Parise? Or the fact the team never went anywhere in the playoffs until Kovy got here? That doesn't exactly help your case much.

Of course you'll just ignore those FACTS and just dissapear and go on spouting the same talking points a few weeks later when you can get more attention.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think if Parise came back a month before he did in 10-11 then maybe we complete an impossible comeback into a playoff spot. Then again maybe it would have been a non factor cause towards the end the team ran out of gas.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
They were sure a powerhouse in the second half, or at least had a '76 Canadiens-like half season record-wise.

lots of teams go on runs late in the year after falling flat. Happens for a myriad of reasons. That alone does not justify the term powerhouse, c'mon.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lots of teams go on runs late in the year after falling flat. Happens for a myriad of reasons. That alone does not justify the term powerhouse, c'mon.

The year before they won a division title and ostensibly improved on paper with having Kovy for a full season. The year after they went to the Stanley Cup Finals. 2011 they should at least have been a 100-point team again and they were playing on a 40-point level in the first half and a 115-point pace in the second half. If that isn't an indictment of a guy's coaching I don't know what is.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Breaking news on Sportscenter. Research shows when a team adds 2 superstars, their win percentage goes up.

Damn. Missed that segment. Glad to see ESPN continues to show they're an authority on hockey though. I'm glad we have that hard-hitting factual research to show us the facts.

Thank you for sharing this though. I think people in this thread did need that reality check.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think if Parise came back a month before he did in 10-11 then maybe we complete an impossible comeback into a playoff spot. Then again maybe it would have been a non factor cause towards the end the team ran out of gas.

Even with the second half they had they still finished twelve points out. They would have had to keep winning 95% of the games through March to have a chance.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Yea I don't understand how anyone could think that team was even close to being a "powerhouse" at any point before the year even started. We had old farts galore (Arnott, Rolston, Langenbrunner, White), along with 2 bad rookies on defense, and 2 crappy UFA signings. At the time I did think that team had a chance to do something after the Kovy contract tour de force ended but once I saw how dysfunctional that thing was, I had a feeling it would go down the toilet in a hurry. The injuries should sped up the flushing down the toilet process. The run with Lemaire was pretty insane but you have to remember we got pretty much got every break imaginable and we still barely finished .500 and like 8 pts. out of the 8 spot. Hell of a ride though. At least Tedenby looked like he had a pulse during that streak.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even with the second half they had they still finished twelve points out. They would have had to keep winning 95% of the games through March to have a chance.
Those two Ottawa games a week apart really killed it for me. I could see the team running out of gas in the two Islanders games a week apart. I was at both of them actually, and almost died when I saw Rolston in the shootout of the first game. Thought he was gonna try the slapshot again like usual, but he deked I think and won it!:laugh:

I saw flashes of the team dying out in those two games though. The one on the Island was a shootout win, and the win at home was the Salmela OT winner. Then the Ottawa loss was after that. Then we had another loss to them the next week in Ottawa with some backup goalie that no one had ever heard of before. They were even worse than us that season so that was a HUGE blow. Then we got shutout a few games later on there. We broke a team record for most minutes straight of being shutout.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Those two Ottawa games a week apart really killed it for me. I could see the team running out of gas in the two Islanders games a week apart. I was at both of them actually, and almost died when I saw Rolston in the shootout of the first game. Thought he was gonna try the slapshot again like usual, but he deked I think and won it!:laugh:

I saw flashes of the team dying out in those two games though. The one on the Island was a shootout win, and the win at home was the Salmela OT winner. Then the Ottawa loss was after that. Then we had another loss to them the next week in Ottawa with some backup goalie that no one had ever heard of before. They were even worse than us that season so that was a HUGE blow. Then we got shutout a few games later on there. We broke a team record for most minutes straight of being shutout.

Yea those Ottawa games were killers especially since they were on home ice. Erik Condra or some no name scored with like 3 minutes left in the 3rd during one of the game to win it. That was basically the end right there. We stopped scoring and went into a tailspin after that and got eliminated by Montreal when Parise "came back". That game was complete trainwreck.

apice3*

If he comes up again, it'll be to get me. After that, my guess is you'll never hear from him again.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yea those Ottawa games were killers especially since they were on home ice. Erik Condra or some no name scored with like 3 minutes left in the 3rd during one of the game to win it. That was basically the end right there. We stopped scoring and went into a tailspin after that and got eliminated by Montreal when Parise "came back". That game was complete trainwreck.

The shutout on retro night too. I really wanted to hear the retro Meadowlands horn too. :rant:

That was against the Caps though who were actually good.

Ottawa was good, but they were struggling that year too. It was kind of an off year for them before they hired Paul Maclean.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
ah shucks, Jim got you guys again

His 'fishing' would be more amusing if it had some basis in fact. I'm just tired of seeing the same ol' slanted and nonsensical arguments repeated ad nauseum for kicks bogging down every single thread.

apice3*

His 'fishing' would be more amusing if it had some basis in fact. I'm just tired of seeing the same ol' slanted and nonsensical arguments repeated ad nauseum for kicks bogging down every single thread.

What if I told you he'll keep doing it as long as he keeps getting bites? I don't blame him though. It's pretty funny.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What if I told you he'll keep doing it as long as he keeps getting bites? I don't blame him though. It's pretty funny.

If he didn't actually believe his own nonsense he wouldn't keep doing it either. Nobody continually posts stuff they don't believe just to get attention. And no it's not funny when it's the 923425th time, and trolling your own backyard.

Difference between trolling here and trolling the main board is you're not ticking off your 'own' fans there. Of course you're also more likely to get dinged for it there.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Why does every thread have to turn into Jim's private Kovy-Parise nonsense? Why, WHY, WHY!!! :banghead: Talk about beating a dead horse, this is dragging a decomposed horse's bones.

Nice rant...now go back and reread this thread to see who initiated the comparison between Parise and Kovalchuk.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Ilya Kovalchuk is a better player than Zach Parise. He is better point producer, is more talented, and is a better playoff performer. I wish that we could have both but I am glad that we have Kovy.

Sik02gt

Mar 4, 2013
Ilya Kovalchuk is a better player than Zach Parise. He is better point producer, is more talented, and is a better playoff performer. I wish that we could have both but I am glad that we have Kovy.

strongly agreed, it would be nice to have both players together.. but if it came to actually choosing much happier having kovy absolutely better all around player for sure

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If he didn't actually believe his own nonsense he wouldn't keep doing it either. Nobody continually posts stuff they don't believe just to get attention. And no it's not funny when it's the 923425th time, and trolling your own backyard.

Difference between trolling here and trolling the main board is you're not ticking off your 'own' fans there. Of course you're also more likely to get dinged for it there.

Oh make no mistake, I do honestly believe Kovalchuk is a terrible hockey player who is ruining the Devils organization... and make no mistake I do believe anyone 6'3'' 230lbs avoids body contact at all cost is a pos...and make no mistake I do believe that any player that constantly puts his team in difficult situations with bad decisions doesn't belong in New Jersey....

The fun part for me is you'll's denial of these facts and the the fact that you'll defend this sorry excuse of player no matter what....you guys can see Kovalchuk commit twice as many turnovers as anyone in the league and make an excuse for it.. we can have the worst pp in the league and you'll blame whoever the coach is running the pp...we can miss the playoffs for the first time 2 of 3 years in the last 20+ years and the reasons will be many but never the guy who can't score an even strength goalwhile playing 26 minutes a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad