2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Lou was confusing this summer. I know he tried hard to get Parise... but he had no interest in Semin and let Poni go.... Poni got one year at 1.8 mil. I don't think Lou was going to have a problem matching that..

Poni just wasn't going to wait around. He's been sent from team to team over the past few years, he was going to jump at whoever showed the most interest. He never heard from Lou.
Other than some near-minimum contracts to the fourth liners, it wasn't til Lou officially threw down the ~$80 million offer that he started signing anyone else.

It was going to be a big contract, I think he wanted to be sure how much money he had to work with before doing anything else.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Really? A one year deal is a "big contract"?

I'd rather Lou give out more one year contracts to character questionable players than sign gritty "good guys" like Volchenkov to six year deals.
I'm not passing any judgment here, I'm pointing out a historical fact. Lou will acquire character-questionable players midseason when their impact in the locker-room is mitigated by the weight of past games and camaraderie, but he's obviously loathe to introduce them onto the white canvas of a new season.

And yes, $6M/year even for one year is a big contract.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He never heard from Lou.

Not true, Lou did talk to Poni's agent per TG.

It seems, to me, pretty obvious Poni wanted to go to WPG. He signed for less money than he seems to be worth and he did it very quickly, that was where he wanted to be.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Not true, Lou did talk to Poni's agent per TG.

It seems, to me, pretty obvious Poni wanted to go to WPG. He signed for less money than he seems to be worth and he did it very quickly, that was where he wanted to be.

A quote I read from Poni's side right after he signed was that he never heard anything from Lou except a brief statement of mutual interest.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Poni may have been on Lou's "to-do" after Parise signed somewhere... which I understand.... but once Henrique comes back if we had Poni I would be much happier with this lineup.

The problem I'm going to have is that I don't think we can beat the Flyers with the lineup from Saturday. Lou and DeBoer learned in the playoffs that you can't win big games with Janssen/Barch (Boulton) in the lineup.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not passing any judgment here, I'm pointing out a historical fact. Lou will acquire character-questionable players midseason when their impact in the locker-room is mitigated by the weight of past games and camaraderie, but he's obviously loathe to introduce them onto the white canvas of a new season.

He actually signed for 7m. Still hoping the hurricanes and him have a slow start so we can make a trade for him.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
A quote I read from Poni's side right after he signed was that he never heard anything from Lou except a brief statement of mutual interest.

Isn't that Poni hearing from Lou?

I don't know anyone who think Poni didn't sign at a contract that is a discount to his true value. The only reason a player does that is because he has a specific destination in mind and there is no competition to sign him.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
He's skating with the team, willing to wait it out for a little while before the Devils decide if they'll offer him a contract.

...with this team, we won't know til he signs or starts skating somewhere else. No idea.
If he's still skating with us, to me that means he'll be getting a contract, it's just a matter of when.

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
He probably went to Winnipeg for a year to increase his value, he has a much better chance of scoring bigger numbers there than most places.

He demonstrated a great value for us during the playoffs. He was part of key goals at big times (OT winner against PHI, OT winner agains NYR, etc).

He and Zach D.E.N.N.I.S.'d us. Separated entirely.

tumblr_m31rxjcfvt1qz83wno1_500.jpg

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
So far Matteau isn't sticking with the team? Thanks for the answers guys.

He's played well in the first game, which is impressive given his age and where he's at right now. Showed some good hockey sense and knows how to use his size. And he's probably still growing too. We just think after five games he'll be sent back to juniors to continue working on his game and so we won't burn off a year on his contract. We really like him though. So far it looks like he belongs.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Rinaldo was taken out of Sunday's game with a "lower body injury" - I'm more concerned over his availability. With the Flyers down 0-2 and the way he was running around game 5, I don't even want to know what kind of cutesy "energizing" tricks he intends to pull.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Rinaldo was taken out of Sunday's game with a "lower body injury" - I'm more concerned over his availability. With the Flyers down 0-2 and the way he was running around game 5, I don't even want to know what kind of cutesy "energizing" tricks he intends to pull.

I don't know how he's still in the league. He just goes around looking to injure people. He should have been suspended for his knee on knee to Zubrus in the playoffs.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

I'm trying to think of the last time Lou made a major offseason trade (not including Rolston/Hunter or the Malakhov dump, of course).

Arnott for Halischuk + 2nd is the only one I can think of since the lockout. Even then, Arnott was a known commodity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad