Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos Thread II

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I think if we were playing someone else, Rupp would sit and Granlund would play. Let's see what Rupp looks like. A rookie getting scratched isn't so bad. If he's scratched lots of games, that's not good. Like I said elsewhere, Stamkos got put in the press box when he struggled as a rookie...it's worked out well.

Fair enough. I suppose we have to see Rupper on the ice before judgement. I've tried to be as quiet as possible and comment as little as possible. All I know is his age and statistics. Plus I've seen his Winter Classic heroism including Jagr salute!

So if he's going to surprise, it can only be a positive surprise :naughty:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Will be interesting to see if Heatley continues this slide, if the Wild will consider a buyout or trade (and keep salary).

Would love to take a run at Getzlaf or Perry...add some experienced yet still young size and skill to the lineup.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
If, and it's almost an unreasonable if, this team could land Getzlaf, that could be the linchpin in making this team truly competitive. Add one decent winger, Coyle continues to impress, we would be solid and deep.

Ditch Heatley, Cullen's gone, man.... I hope Fletch can work some more magic this offseason.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong to bench Granlund. But timing is weird. Granlund played better when he was demoted to 4th line. He got the message. If he did fine with Konopka, why to change anything. 3rd/4th line that's fine.

I think he should bench Heater instead. I understand that he can't bench Cullen, because they don't have enough decent centers.

But yes, I have to trust Yeo. He's the coach and he must know better. It's only a bit weird decision IMO.

E: Oh, I must've understood something wrong earlier. I thought he would bench Granlund. But looks like 3rd/4th line?
Then I'm only worried about 2nd line. Bouchard will be very much alone there.

E2 Sorry, again. It's a decision between Seto/Granlund? Ok, over and out. :D

Don't you get me wrong:laugh: I'm not fond of the decision at this time either. MiG's suffering because the team's doing badly as a whole. It's not his fault though and like you said, he played so much better in Phoenix that I think it'd be justified as well as important to reward him for that and let him play, but it's easier to bench a rookie than a veteran.

It's not like MiG's going to complain or become a problem in the locker room. He's not like that. If anything, he's going to think he's not good enough to play even after his effort in the last game. That's not a good message to send a young player, so I sincerely hope someone will tell him it's not that simple.

I wouldn't mind seeing Heatley in the pressbox for one game for that matter, either. His effort level has been less than stellar lately. But I doubt that's going to happen. In fact I'd be even happier to get rid of both Seto and Cullen, get a good 2nd line C in return and give Granlund a chance as a winger in the top 6, but somehow I doubt that'll happen either.

If MiG sitting in the pressbox becomes a habit despite giving stellar performances while given a chance (any chance, not even a top 6 one), then I'm going to start asking a lot more questions about Yeo's methods. Right now I can only hope it's very temporary.

Last edited:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Big problem is that there are still more questions than answers (9 games played).

Parise-Koivu-¤¤¤
....///??? <- a mess
,,,###xxx <- another mess
4th line is ok/good.

If there are no more answers after games 10-12. Troubles.

Eagle Claw

Jan 25, 2013
Finland
getzshlaf has such a attitude problem at times that i wouldn't even sniff that way unless he's cheap and he's not

THEALLKNOWING*

Will be interesting to see if Heatley continues this slide, if the Wild will consider a buyout or trade (and keep salary).

Would love to take a run at Getzlaf or Perry...add some experienced yet still young size and skill to the lineup.

Certain players over time have crushed the Wild on their home ice. At least it seems that way at the games. First Sakic, then Iginla. Recent years, Perry. He I would like, big-time.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Iginla's a UFA too. Just saying.

With Granlund, Zucker, and Larsson...that's three average to below average sized guys who could be in our top six...as well as all three being rookies this year.

If Coyle truly is supposed to be the top line RW for Parise and Koivu long-term, they have to get some size on that second line down the road.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
According to Russo's tweets, Yeo is trying:

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Bouchard-Cullen-Heatley
Clutterbuck-Brodziak-Setoguchi/Granlund
Mitchell-Konopka-Setoguchu/Granlund

YESSSSSS! I absolutely love that top line. A right handed player with speed and net presence is exactly what they have been lacking. I 2nd still is a bit weird, if Brodziak was playing like his normal self I would rather see

Bouchard Brodziak Heatley

This would give the line a forechecker to go down in the corners and dig the puck out for Butch who could pass to Heater. Who knows lets try it out. I don't like scratching Granlund but hopefully it sends him a message. I just hope we aren't ruining the kids confidence

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
The Wild continue to struggle to score goals, yet people in this thread are calling for the team's 2nd highest goal scorer to be benched .... WTF is wrong with you people?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
The Wild continue to struggle to score goals, yet people in this thread are calling for the team's 2nd highest goal scorer to be benched .... WTF is wrong with you people?

We're losing, he's not scoring anymore, and neither is anyone else not named Parise.

Billy Mays Here*

Still would rather see Seto on that top line in order to jump start him but Coyle is good too. Guess we're gonna see if he's really capable of playing NHL top line minutes now.

hokijanari

Feb 4, 2013
IMO.

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Granlund-Brodziak-Heatley
PMB-Cullen-Setoguchi
Clutterbuck-Rupp/Konopka-Mitchell

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Gilbert
Stoner-Spurgeon
Falk

Bäckström
Harding

If Coyle doesn't adapt, send him to Houston and Setoguchi moves up to the 1st.

PRo0902

Oct 25, 2007
IMO.

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Granlund-Brodziak-Heatley
PMB-Cullen-Setoguchi
Clutterbuck-Rupp/Konopka-Mitchell

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Gilbert
Stoner-Spurgeon
Falk

Bäckström
Harding

If Coyle doesn't adapt, send him to Houston and Setoguchi moves up to the 1st.

I agree with these if Coyle can hold his own. The middle two lines would basically be 2/2A, with more ice time given to whoever is playing better in a given game. Heater and Brodziak played well together last year, so the hope would be that a reunion would give them both a spark.

hokijanari

Feb 4, 2013
I agree with these if Coyle can hold his own. The middle two lines would basically be 2/2A, with more ice time given to whoever is playing better in a given game. Heater and Brodziak played well together last year, so the hope would be that a reunion would give them both a spark.
That's exactly what I had in mind.

Minny91

Jan 25, 2013
I don't understand why we are not trying Seto on the 1st line. Historically he has produced when he plays with his teams marquee players.

I propose:

Parise-Koivu-Setoguchi
PMB-Granlund-Heatley
Clutterbuck-Cullen-Mitchell
Brodziak-Konopka-Rupp

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Gilbert
Stoner-Spurgeon
Falk

Bäckström
Harding

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't understand why we are not trying Seto on the 1st line. Historically he has produced when he plays with his teams marquee players.

I propose:

Parise-Koivu-Setoguchi
PMB-Granlund-Heatley
Clutterbuck-Cullen-Mitchell
Brodziak-Konopka-Rupp

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Gilbert
Stoner-Spurgeon
Falk

Bäckström
Harding

..and where would Coyle fit in?

Minny91

Jan 25, 2013
Reason being that I believe Coyle should be kept in a top 6 role any time he is playing in the NHL as it suits his game. But if we move Heater down a line and see if that clicks - we have 2 very capable scoring lines and can wait to bring Coyle up next year for full time duty once we have contracts coming off out hands

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Reason being that I believe Coyle should be kept in a top 6 role any time he is playing in the NHL as it suits his game. But if we move Heater down a line and see if that clicks - we have 2 very capable scoring lines and can wait to bring Coyle up next year for full time duty once we have contracts coming off out hands

Yes....and he is....didn't you hear that he's been moved to the top line?

"I think he'll fit in really well with us," said Parise. "And you get Butch with Heatley, he should be a good setup man for Heater."

Sounds like Parise has already moved on....:laugh:

Last edited:

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
If, and it's almost an unreasonable if, this team could land Getzlaf, that could be the linchpin in making this team truly competitive. Add one decent winger, Coyle continues to impress, we would be solid and deep.

Ditch Heatley, Cullen's gone, man.... I hope Fletch can work some more magic this offseason.

yeah that would be cool, I'm really hoping we could do work two years in a row in free agency.

parise-koivu-coyle
perry-granlund-zucker
clutter-brodz-pmb
mitchell-knopka-rupp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad