Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos Thread II

hokijanari

Feb 4, 2013
Putting coyle on that top line could be even less balance than it was previously..at least he has the energy to grind out in the corners

The problem with the 2nd line this yr is that there have just been fast, skilled players but nobody to just go and plant themselves in the corner and get the puck. The line has just flown in...tried at the puck..and flown out

2nd line needs a big body that has energy to get and control the puck while the skilled guys get open
And that's why I suggested Brodziak there with Granlund. IMO, that would be an ideal duo. Granlund needs a big body, other than Konopka, who can create him room and finish it off. And I think Brodzy is the guy. Who's on the other wing doesn't really matter, maybe Heater or Seto. But Yeo, Granlund-Brodziak, make it happen!!

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
lol I think Granlund moving down is a mistake and not necessary. I hope we find out that's not happening.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I agree with some of you that it is a little perplexing that Coyle has been vaulted to the top line over the likes of Seto, Granlund and Butch.

He played a fine game in Phoenix, but it's not like he lit the world on fire, and he was certainly no Brodin;) I mean that btw...

I find it a little disheartening that Yeo challenges Granlund and Seto by placing them on the fourth line, they both step up and create more chances than almost any other line during that game, and now one of them is going to be scratched, after improving performance. That just does not sit right with me... Not when we have other players who need to step up just as much, and have not done so yet.

I don't know... Just my thoughts on it.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Sometimes watching a game from the pressbox is a good learning tool for a rookie. Plus you know that the Canucks will try to take as many liberties as possible with our rookies. SO I have no problem letting Granlund sit for a game or two.

Also, I think Yeo should start Kassian-Konopka-Rupp, and have them beat the holy hell out of the Canucks. I hate that team so bad.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I heard the guy who was having good chemistry with granlund in the AHL...

Is now in the NHL! But question remains: Why aren't they playing together in NHL?

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
He can't possibly be thinking of scratching Granlund?! Is Yeo too blind to see that he needs some more creativity on the ice instead of a bunch of meat-heads that can't do anything but skate in straight line and dump the puck to non-scoring areas?

And pleeaase start coaching in-game if things aren't working out. As it is now we'd be better off with a sack of potatoes behind the bench.:rant:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I heard the guy who was having good chemistry with granlund in the AHL...

Is now in the NHL! But question remains: Why aren't they playing together in NHL?

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have two rookies playing on the same line this early in the season...

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Not only lame but a bit unfair too. Granlund answered to the "message" as well as one could on the 4th line... Well, he didn't get any points but played a good game. There were much worse performers in that game, including Seto, Brodziak...
They won't scratch Brodz (even though he deserves a smack across the head), and they most likely are determined to keep Seto in the lineup with the hope of getting a few good games from him in order to "sell" him.

Honestly, the kid could use a different perspective for a couple games. And it's Vancouver. Don't trust those guys.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I'm not sure it's a good idea to have two rookies playing on the same line this early in the season...

I agree with this. Especially since one of them really is struggling in the d end quite a bit. Coyle is so new, he hasn't even had a chance to struggle in the d end yet.

It would be nice if Granlund was given a chance to excell playing a position that is NOT center. Some of his greatest success throughout his career so far has been on the wing.

Dude is small, kinda weak, not good at d, and not that fast. Why the **** does he keep getting stuck at center?!?! Play him on the bloody wing....

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Play whoever gets you more goals for than against on any line. It's not a video game where you start on the fourth line and work your way up.

It's also entirely possible the Wild are trying to showcase Setoguchi for a trade so he gets the nod over Granlund.

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Based on Yeo KFAN interview

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Bouchard - Cullen - Heatley
Mitchell - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Rupp - Konopka - Setoguchi

I see no problem with Granlund getting a game up in the press box, especially against a bigger team. Russo and others have agreed that it's not a bad thing for a rookie to get some games in the press box. Heck, Stamkos spent some time up there in his rookie year. I do agree that if it's for an extended period he should be sent down to Houston; perhaps playing wing on a line with Larsson and Zucker?

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Play whoever gets you more goals for than against on any line. It's not a video game where you start on the fourth line and work your way up.

It's also entirely possible the Wild are trying to showcase Setoguchi for a trade so he gets the nod over Granlund.

This is something that has been dawning on me as well. I get the feeling he really is being shopped, but we shall see...

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012
Based on Yeo KFAN interview

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Bouchard - Cullen - Heatley
Mitchell - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Rupp - Konopka - Setoguchi

I see no problem with Granlund getting a game up in the press box, especially against a bigger team. Russo and others have agreed that it's not a bad thing for a rookie to get some games in the press box. Heck, Stamkos spent some time up there in his rookie year. I do agree that if it's for an extended period he should be sent down to Houston; perhaps playing wing on a line with Larsson and Zucker?

Still, kind of a momentum killer for the kid considering his last game. Oh, and also, probably bothers him that Coyle gets a shot on the first line and he did not.

What happens if the Wild wins bigtime this game? Is Yeo going to send Granlund down to the AHL in that case? Would be a waste of tallent in my opinion.

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Jarick brought up another good point in the line combo thread. Perhaps Seto gets the nod because the Wild are showcasing him for a trade.

Not sure how much a guy can actually showcased if they end up playing fourth line minutes, but who knows.

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012
Jarick brought up another good point in the line combo thread. Perhaps Seto gets the nod because the Wild are showcasing him for a trade.

Not sure how much a guy can actually showcased if they end up playing fourth line minutes, but who knows.

For me it just seems like a rationel for most of not understanding why Seto > Granlund....

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Granlund should've been on Koivu's and Parise's wing from the start. It was the best position for him to to get acclimated to NHL hockey.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

They could be shopping Seto, but like you say, doing that while keeping him on the 4th line seems kind of pointless.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Hes getting scratched for one game as a rookie. Big deal guys. He played okay on the 4th line the other day. I think playing different positions and watching the game will help him realize what his game has been missing. We need results. It doesn't matter who "should" be in the lineup based on their name or reputation we need to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad