Not open for further replies.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
Kopitar for Phaneuf.

Okay, someone adds a 5th.

Scrivens for their back-up.

i would trade Phanuef in a nano second for Kopitar!!!

Kopitar would be Sundin 2.0 here!!!

I think it would be much more than Phanuef though...

Maybe:

TOR: Kopitar + Bernier
LA: Phanuef + MacA + Colborne + Blacker + Scrivens

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Never Ending rebuild with potential

Toronto is the worlds largest hockey market and has been in a continual rebuild for the last many many years. With new GM Nonis this team does not yet have the Nonis stamp and who knows what it will be.

Basis Start

Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($0.851m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Matt Frattin ($0.925m)
Mike Brown ($0.737m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($1.550m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Cody Franson ($1.200m)
GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($1.800m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.613m)
BUYOUTS
Darcy Tucker ($1.000m) / Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $46,249,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (15-man roster): $18,050,333

Trading Kessel frees up additional $5.4m=$23.5M to spend

Top Targets:

Goalie...Howard...Smith...Backstrom....budget $3.5-5M

Defence...Regher...Scuderi...Whitney...Murray...Leopold...Timonen...Hainsey...very thin picks

Forward...Perry...Getzlaf...Semin...Riberio...PMBouch...Morrow...Roy...Horton...Clowe...Penner...Weiss...Filpulla...Bozak...Gomez...Raymond...Clarkson...

If Suter and Parise get $7.5M cap hits so will Perry and Getzlaf

Kyle Doobas*

Remember that time the reigning Stanley Cup Champions traded their 1st line centre?

DaveT83*

I have faith in Nonis/Bell/Rogers that they will make the right decisions - to finally end the "Never-Ending ReTool" Which begins and ends with Trading Phil Kessel. Until that happens we will continue to toil away in obscurity/hockey purgatory.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
This.

I thought the point of this game was to score more goals, not give them to other teams.

1. Acquire young talent.
2. Allow that talent to mature to the point where you're getting 82 points out of a 25 year old.
3. Proceed to immediately trade that talent away.
4. Call it "progress."

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
I was watching a bit if Oil Change. Had to turn it off and go back to work. But it is sure difficult to be a Leaf fan. All those banners in the rafters with recent recognizable names and now a brand new set of young stars. Sheesh. Green with envy.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
1. Acquire young talent.
2. Allow that talent to mature to the point where you're getting 82 points out of a 25 year old.
4. Call it "progress."

Pretty much sums it up. People get mesmerized at the thought of a trade just for the sake of a trade.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
I was watching a bit if Oil Change. Had to turn it off and go back to work. But it is sure difficult to be a Leaf fan. All those banners in the rafters with recent recognizable names and now a brand new set of young stars. Sheesh. Green with envy.

Also with a CULTURE of losing that is harder to turn around than people think. Not even Pittsbugh and Chicago had as bad of a culture of losing as the current Oilers. You don't just flip the switch one day and become winners.

Apr 1, 2010
1. Acquire young talent.
4. Call it "progress."

5. Never make the playoffs?

There are trades to be made. And we should make a few to get some extra 1st round picks. Even if this team is in contention for a playoff spot come deadline we need to be sellers for one more year. We need a #1C and the ONLY way we are going to get one is by drafting him. This year is deep in good centers so try to grab 2 and hopefully one turns into the next Mats or Dougie.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
There are trades to be made. And we should make a few to get some extra 1st round picks. Even if this team is in contention for a playoff spot come deadline we need to be sellers for one more year. We need a #1C and the ONLY way we are going to get one is by drafting him. This year is deep in good centers so try to grab 2 and hopefully one turns into the next Mats or Dougie.

Yes, we need a C and yes drafting is likely the only route we'll get one from.

But that doesn't mean you trade our only star player for the chance at it; that's a lateral move. We should be hanging onto the positives of this team and draft with out (likely) top 5 pick.

Apr 1, 2010

But that doesn't mean you trade our only star player for the chance at it; that's a lateral move. We should be hanging onto the positives of this team and draft with out (likely) top 5 pick.

That's what I've been saying.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

I keep saying this over and over re Kessel.

There's no point in opening one hole to fill another.

The second we get a #1 centre we'll be saying "we need a scoring winger for him to pass to".... which coincidentally was the issue we had for the decade Sundin was here.

We need to have both to be successful.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I keep saying this over and over re Kessel.

There's no point in opening one hole to fill another.

The second we get a #1 centre we'll be saying "we need a scoring winger for him to pass to".... which coincidentally was the issue we had for the decade Sundin was here.

We need to have both to be successful.

Exactly. People need patience. People look at the teams that have a great young cast (ex.LAK). How did they do it? Year after year of keeping their own picks and making them count.

Saying: "We need to trade Kessel for picks, Phanuef for picks, Grabo for picks, Kulie for picks, MacA for picks" isn't being patient, it's just as impatient as what has gotten us in this mess.

We have some good pieces in place, some more patience and we'll have even more of these good pieces. That's how good teams are made.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I have faith in Nonis/Bell/Rogers that they will make the right decisions - to finally end the "Never-Ending ReTool" Which begins and ends with Trading Phil Kessel. Until that happens we will continue to toil away in obscurity/hockey purgatory.

Agree, maybe Nonis is happy quitely missing the playoffs in this shortened season, and jettison several players at the deadline. Like the waiver pick up today, if your going to lose hockey games, you might as well lose while punishing your opponents. Tough hockey would be a welcome change while implementing a proper rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad