Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings Version II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
With Greene gone for the year and Mitchell banged up i would assume a shutdown or 2way D man.

Gunnarsson can play either role.

Gunnar for Bernier?

Yeah, Gunnar's a good candidate .. Holzer could be dealt too if Komi keeps showing he can play well under Carlyle

Young shutdown d-man for a young goalie type trade

Maybe MacA + Holzer for Bernier and a 3rd or something

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
I would luv to somehow get Kopitar...

LA has defensive needs and Richards, Carter, Stoll is a good 1,2,3 down the middle for them.

Suter traded Phanuef to us... So i cant see why he would want to retain him...

Kopitar is one of few players in the league i would offer Gardiner + for...

LA: Gardiner + Kulemin + MacA + Bozak + Scrivens

For

TOR: Kopitar + Bernier + cap dump (expiring contract)

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I would luv to somehow get Kopitar...

LA has defensive needs and Richards, Carter, Stoll is a good 1,2,3 down the middle for them.

Suter traded Phanuef to us... So i cant see why he would want to retain him...

Kopitar is one of few players in the league i would offer Gardiner + for...

LA: Gardiner + Kulemin + MacA + Bozak + Scrivens

For

TOR: Kopitar + Bernier + cap dump (expiring contract)

LOL. This was actually the worst trade proposal I have ever seen. :laugh:

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
Top 16 Centers in NHL 2011-2012 (points)

1. Malkin - Drafted top 5
2. Stamkos - Drafted top 5
3. Spezza - Drafted top 5
4. Tavares - Drafted top 5
5. Sedin - Drafted top 5
6. Thornton - Traded
7. Kopitar - Drafted First round (not top 5)
8. Staal - Drafted top 5
9. Seguin - Drafted top 5
10. Datsyuk - Drafted 6th round
11. Richards - Free Agent
12. Flippula - Drafted 3rd round
13. Couture - Drafted First round (not top 5)
14. Bergeron - Drafted 2nd round
15. Ribiero - Drafted 2nd round
16. Krejci - Drafted 2nd round

7/16 - Drafted top 5
3/16 - Drafted 2nd round
2/16 - Drafted 1st round (not top 5)
2/16 - Drafted out of 1st/2nd round
1/16 - Trade for
1/16 - Free Agent

Top 16 wingers in the NHL 2011-2012 (points):

1. Giroux - Drafted first round (not top 5)
2. Kovalchuk - Free Agent
3. Phil Kessel - Traded for
4. James Neal - Traded for
5. Patrick Elias - Drafted 2nd round
6. Marian Hossa - Free Agent
7. Ray Whitney - Free Agent
8. Gaborik - Free Agent
9. Eberle - Drafted first round (not top 5)
10. St. Louis - Undrafted Free Agent
11. Pomminville - Drafted 2nd round
12. Eriksson - Drafted 2nd round
13. Moulson - Free Agent
14. Sharp - Traded for
15. Parise - Drafted first round (not top 5)
16. Zetterberg - Drafted 7th round

6/16 - Free Agent
3/16 - Traded for
3/16 - Drafted 1st round (not top 5)
3/16 - Drafted 2nd round
1/16 - Drafted after 1st/2nd rounds

If you had to choose elite center or an elite winger, which would you choose. According to the situation above, an elite winger is so much easier to get through free agency or trade than a elite center.

Look at it this way...no matter how hard you want it, this current Leafs team will likely NEVER pick top 5 again. We were bad enough once, and we unfortunately traded that pick away. As of now, as much as some of you won't admit it, we aren't that bad, and management is not going to "blow it up" enough to get us there.

My point here is...if you can trade Kessel for a player that was drafted high with the potential to be a top line center, you do it 7 days a week. Wingers are (as shown above), sooo much easier to find, either in later 1sts, trades or free agency. Not to beat a dead horse, but had we not traded for Kessel, ended up with Seguin, we could have signed either Gaborik or Semin the last two off-seasons to easily replace what Kessel is doing for the team now.

Apr 1, 2010
Top 16 Centers in NHL 2011-2012 (points)

If you had to choose elite center or an elite winger, which would you choose. According to the situation above, an elite winger is so much easier to get through free agency or trade than a elite center.

Look at it this way...no matter how hard you want it, this current Leafs team will likely NEVER pick top 5 again. We were bad enough once, and we unfortunately traded that pick away. As of now, as much as some of you won't admit it, we aren't that bad, and management is not going to "blow it up" enough to get us there.

My point here is...if you can trade Kessel for a player that was drafted high with the potential to be a top line center, you do it 7 days a week. Wingers are (as shown above), sooo much easier to find, either in later 1sts, trades or free agency. Not to beat a dead horse, but had we not traded for Kessel, ended up with Seguin, we could have signed either Gaborik or Semin the last two off-seasons to easily replace what Kessel is doing for the team now.

Disagree with your lists.

Marleau was drafted a C #2 behind Thornton. Crosby, Toews, RNH, Backstrom Getzlaf should all be on there ahead of a few guys.

So that is 6 more #1C that should go in your top 5 draft picks.

Which goes to show you will not get a #1C through trade. Thornton was a huge exception.

So why not just get the draft pick? We aren't that good. A few pieces gone and we will fall even more.

I think it will be a lot easier to get a top 5 pick than it will be to trade for a #1C.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Disagree with your lists.

Marleau was drafted a C #2 behind Thornton. Crosby, Toews, RNH, Backstrom Getzlaf should all be on there ahead of a few guys.

So that is 6 more #1C that should go in your top 5 draft picks.

Which goes to show you will not get a #1C through trade. Thornton was a huge exception.

So why not just get the draft pick? We aren't that good. A few pieces gone and we will fall even more.

I think it will be a lot easier to get a top 5 pick than it will be to trade for a #1C.

So this leads right into the protection of top 5 picks.

This year is supposed to have quite a few centers selected early.

How much would the Leafs give up for a bonafide #1 center?

Too hard to come by to send away for depth.

Edmonton for example?

A top 5 picked center or Gagner?

I know which way I'd go.

Apr 1, 2010
So this leads right into the protection of top 5 picks.

This year is supposed to have quite a few centers selected early.

How much would the Leafs give up for a bonafide #1 center?

Too hard to come by to send away for depth.

Edmonton for example?

A top 5 picked center or Gagner?

I know which way I'd go.

Who the hell wants Gagne?

We will not get a bonafide #1C through trade. Kopitar, Toews, Malkin etc are not available.

We have to draft our #1C and with this year deep in centers the goal should be to have 2 top 10 picks. Not to scrape into the postseason and get hammered by Boston. We can do that next year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Who the hell wants Gagne?

We will not get a bonafide #1C through trade. Kopitar, Toews, Malkin etc are not available.

We have to draft our #1C and with this year deep in centers the goal should be to have 2 top 10 picks. Not to scrape into the postseason and get hammered by Boston. We can do that next year.

I completely agree.

That's why the only way I believe the Leafs get a top 5 pick is if they earn it.

They could always win the lottery from whatever position they end up in ... I guess that's based on luck. :laugh:

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
I completely agree.

That's why the only way I believe the Leafs get a top 5 pick is if they earn it.

They could always win the lottery from whatever position they end up in ... I guess that's based on luck. :laugh:

Which is personally why I would like to see us move Liles, Frason, and MacArthur sooner than later. Fawk the deadline. Even if it looks like a tank who cares, we have the "youth" that deserve shots at their spots.

DO IT MEOW!

Apr 1, 2010
I completely agree.

And with the new lottery system the 9th place team has a shot at #1.

So a team that is already ahead of us could get an elite center or futer stud D-man.

What we need to do is trade early and often. Trade with teams that are going to be fighting to get into the playoffs. If we have to add someting extra to get the 1st, then do it.

If all we have is 4 1st round picks for the 2013 draft I will be very happy.

Apr 1, 2010
Which is personally why I would like to see us move Liles, Frason, and MacArthur sooner than later. Fawk the deadline. Even if it looks like a tank who cares, we have the "youth" that deserve shots at their spots.

DO IT MEOW!

Yes.

The key is to make the deals before it gets too close to the deadline.

William Nylander*

I'd be willing to trade Morgan Reilly for a top 5 pick on draft day... And then we draft our #1 C

Apr 1, 2010
Please elaborate?

Why would you trade an obvious elite talent? Particularly when you don't have to.

We've got, non elite players and prospects we could move for picks, and then trade our way up to a top pick.

Having a 21yr old Rielly on the backend in 2 years is going to be Awesome.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Why would you trade an obvious elite talent? Particularly when you don't have to.

We've got, non elite players and prospects we could move for picks, and then trade our way up to a top pick.

Having a 21yr old Rielly on the backend in 2 years is going to be Awesome.

"Because! Haven't you heard all the hype about THIS year's draft class! I hear it's the deepest draft in a long time"

...said everyone every single year.

Trading Rielly for a pick is the stupid ass kind of thing that makes this team even more of a joke.

K19*

I'm still disappointed in the Lupul re-signing. We should be sellers not buyers. Way too rich for an injury-prone 29-year-old coming off a career year. He's likely a 25-25 guy in a normal year, assuming he's healthy. The re-signing to me suggests Nonis isn't any brighter than Burke.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Teams are going to be very reluctant to move 1st round picks in this draft. Scouting directors are salivating at the thought of this draft and what it could do for their franchises. Plus the draft lottery system has not even been agreed to. So teams will not move picks until they find out how the weighting and odds work. So longer it takes to figure that out the more unlikely teams trade away 1st rd picks this year

Apr 1, 2010
"Because! Haven't you heard all the hype about THIS year's draft class! I hear it's the deepest draft in a long time"

Trading Rielly for a pick is the stupid ass kind of thing that makes this team even more of a joke.
Trade Mac, Grabo, hell trade ****ing Gardiner, but why trade the most talented prospect the franchise has drafted since Damphousse. (Or Rask is you want to count goalies)

I'm still disappointed in the Lupul re-signing. We should be sellers not buyers. Way too rich for an injury-prone 29-year-old coming off a career year. He's likely a 25-25 guy in a normal year, assuming he's healthy. The re-signing to me suggests Nonis isn't any brighter than Burke.

IF Phanuef were gone. Say magically traded to EDM for their 1st + ??? , there is a good chance LUpul would be made Captain of this team.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Trade Mac, Grabo, hell trade ****ing Gardiner, but why trade the most talented prospect the franchise has drafted since Damphousse. (Or Rask is you want to count goalies)

I agree, but i think Grabo and Gards are certainly part of any solution in TO.

Stay the course, make smart draft picks and be patient. That's all that'll work...patience. Something not too many people around here actually display the will to do; despite all their talk.

Apr 1, 2010
I agree, but i think Grabo and Gards are certainly part of any solution in TO.

Stay the course, make smart draft picks and be patient. That's all that'll work...patience. Something not too many people around here actually display the will to do; despite all their talk.

I think in 2 years we could be a team to be taken seriously in the playoffs.

In 3 we could be considered dangerous.

But we need to start right now and get as many 1st round picks as we can. Without stripping away the core. Burke has left this team in pretty good shape going forward. We have Big bodies becoming NHL ready. We have lots of good NHL assets other teams want right now. That have replacements in the system already.

This is the perfect year for a total makeover while holding onto a solid core.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
wow watching the game tonight, who don't you trade? Reimer.....couldn't stop a beachball, Dion has a cannon of a shot, but won't shoot?????, Grabbo, looks like Blake 2.0 skates around like a NASCAR race, going in circles, Kadri....invisible, Kulemin?????, Franson?????, Lilies???????, Fraser????? blah blah blah............

William Nylander*

How else would you find the #1 C?

Which position do we have more quality in... Defense or centre? Sometimes you have to trade from an area of strength to fill a hole in the team

Apr 1, 2010
wow watching the game tonight, who don't you trade? Reimer.....couldn't stop a beachball, Dion has a cannon of a shot, but won't shoot?????, Grabbo, looks like Blake 2.0 skates around like a NASCAR race, going in circles, Kadri....invisible, Kulemin?????, Franson?????, Lilies???????, Fraser????? blah blah blah............

Teams want NHL players.

So anyone we have a replacement for in the system should be moved if an adequate return is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad