Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings Version II

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
he Ottawa Senators could be without the services of centre Jason Spezza for at least two months and possibly longer. In a press conference Thursday morning at Scotiabank Place, general manager Bryan Murray said that the 29-year-old will have surgery for a herniated disc in Toronto on Friday

ottawa wants weiss
dont we want him too?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Bernier-Still-Hoping-to-Be-Traded

While all the focus is on the drama up in Vancouver, there’s another goaltender hoping to be traded in the very near future.

Following the Kings run to the Stanley Cup last spring, former first round pick Jonathan Bernier asked to be traded. GM Dean Lombardi spoke to several teams regarding Bernier, but the combination of not getting what he wanted along with Jonathan Quick’s back injury, led to the team putting a Bernier trade on the back burner.

For now Bernier is in a holding pattern, at least until Luongo gets moved. Sources close to Bernier tell me they believe he will eventually be traded but it’s unlikely to happen until after the Vancouver situation is resolved. Many believe Canucks GM Mike Gillis will trade Luongo sooner than later. Then again with the way Luongo is playing he might be better off keeping him for the time being.

With injuries to Matt Greene and Willie Mitchell word is Lombardi is searching for a top four D-man. He went after Wade Redden before the Blues snatched him up and you won’t find find too many teams willing to give up a top 4 D-man right now.

Los Angeles is almost exclusively relying on Drew Doughty and Rob Scuderi on a nightly basis.

Lombardi has indicated to Bernier’s camp that he will give him a chance to play elsewhere. There is a sentimental attachment here as Bernier was the first draft pick Lombardi made as Kings GM in 2006. Still with that said, Bernier is the Kings only real major asset they’re willing to part with.

The Toronto maple leafs are certainly an option should they fail to land Luongo in a trade. Lombardi has indicated privately there’s a specific player on the Maple Leafs roster he wants in return for Bernier. While he won’t reveal who the player is, it’s safe to suggest Toronto isn’t willing to part with him, at least for now.

Apr 1, 2010
he Ottawa Senators could be without the services of centre Jason Spezza for at least two months and possibly longer. In a press conference Thursday morning at Scotiabank Place, general manager Bryan Murray said that the 29-year-old will have surgery for a herniated disc in Toronto on Friday

ottawa wants weiss
dont we want him too
?

:laugh:NO:laugh:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Frattin - I laugh in their face
Gardiner - I laugh in their face even more
Kadri - I laugh in their face as much as possible

Reimer > Bernier

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

ottawa wants weiss
dont we want him too?

It's like when you get into the office in the morning and you find out that they're serving a free lunch that day for all employees, but it's something you don't really like that much, like it's just ok. Maybe a vegetarian pizza or something. Plus you already brought your own lunch. So like, yah I guess I want it - I'll show up and take it and nibble, and maybe save my lunch for tomorrow... but only if it's free.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Clarke MacArthur + 2nd, if the Kings don't like it they can **** off and we'll roll with Reimer, who has been solid.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Ugh, I think goaltenders are too volatile to predict. I haven't seen Bernier play, but the reviews don't appear very favourable. Plus, he's rather on the smaller side.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Ugh, I think goaltenders are too volatile to predict. I haven't seen Bernier play, but the reviews don't appear very favourable. Plus, he's rather on the smaller side.

Really? See I've heard the opposite - that he's legit 1A with some potential but will always be 2nd fiddle to Quick. Although small, he is extremely agile with very quick reflexes.

somewebsitesomewhere said:
Listed at 5’11” and 186 pounds, the scouting report on Bernier is that he is an athletic hybrid goalie with good post to post movement, and excellent puck handling skills. He is considered to have a high competitive level, and has admitted that having a drastic reduction in playing time has been difficult. His track record also suggests he may need a season or more to adjust to the role of being a number one goalie in the NHL, which is not uncommon.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Phaneuf I think is more important to keep out of the two, as his skill-set is harder to replace. Big physical D that can play on a top pair with a good shot. He's mis-cast as a #1 D, so we do need somebody better then him to pair him with. But he can still be a really strong piece on a good team if he's not used in the wrong role. We also don't have anybody in the pipeline with his skillset. Rielly/Gardiner, the only guys at the moment considered to have any kind of top pairing potential are both smooth skating intelligent guys, not hard hitting / big shot guys. Granted like you said, if it sounds like he doesn't want to stay, then we should trade him. If we retain part of his salary in a deal, I think his value would be quite high.

Agreed that Phaneuf probably more valueable to our team, but he is already overpaid, IMO, at 6.5 million. If he is looking for an improved contract, I'm not sure I would want to be paying him 7 million plus. That money could be better spent elsewhere. Really depends what he is looking for, contract-wise.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Agreed that Phaneuf probably more valueable to our team, but he is already overpaid, IMO, at 6.5 million. If he is looking for an improved contract, I'm not sure I would want to be paying him 7 million plus. That money could be better spent elsewhere. Really depends what he is looking for, contract-wise.

True. But I don't think he'd get a raise. If he hit free agency and was purely going after money, I still don't think he'd get a raise. Probably just a similar cap hit to what he has right now. He was much more highly regarded when he signed his last contract.

Carle got 5.5M and Garrison got 4.6M. He's got more value than those guys, but not a ton more value.

Granted, some teams sign ridiculous unexpected contracts (Wideman @ 5.3M for example, Redden contract, etc), so it is hard to say. But in free agency, I think he'd probably just get the equivalent of what he has now. So if he wanted to stay, I'd imagine it would be in the ~5.75-6.5 range. Edler signed longterm and his caphit is only 5M, granted that was a hometown disctount.

Kyle Doobas*

Maybe the Kings want Gunnarsson? I don't think they really have much of a need for more wingers, at least not nearly as much as they need help on the back end.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
I think Bernier would be a good option. IF Backstrom isn't available. F Lu...

Maybe if we agree to take Penner in the deal..

who knows he might be able to help out with Lupul out.

Bernier + Penner for Gunnarsson + 4th (Phx)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think Bernier would be a good option. IF Backstrom isn't available. F Lu...

Maybe if we agree to take Penner in the deal..

who knows he might be able to help out with Lupul out.

Bernier + Penner for Gunnarsson + 4th (Phx)

They need a top 4 d-man too, per that article

MacA + Franson(?) for Bernier + a 2nd/3rd

Leafs have a good amount of capable d-man that can be a #4 .. Which type is LA looking for? Shutdown, puckmover, 2-way?

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
They need a top 4 d-man too, per that article

MacA + Franson(?) for Bernier + a 2nd/3rd

Leafs have a good amount of capable d-man that can be a #4 .. Which type is LA looking for? Shutdown, puckmover, 2-way?

With Greene gone for the year and Mitchell banged up i would assume a shutdown or 2way D man.

Gunnarsson can play either role.

Gunnar for Bernier?

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Really? See I've heard the opposite - that he's legit 1A with some potential but will always be 2nd fiddle to Quick. Although small, he is extremely agile with very quick reflexes.

I like your idea better. That's the kind of situation I'd like to see the Leafs end up with. I've seen his numbers, gone on the King's board occasionally, and I didn't come away enthused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad