2013 Draft Thread (Part 3) #8, 16, 38, 52, 69, 129, 130, 140, 159, 189

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Kevin Devine on the Sabres Combine coming up:

About 75 total invites
- 30-40 of the NHL Combine invitees
- The rest are other prospects they are interested in. Should help with the later rounds.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
They interviewed the local kids: Sean Malone and Justin Bailey.
I would love to see who we are not going to sit down with.

Why? It will just be ammunition for the big whiners and complainers to say "Regier and co. won't even interview [player name]! ZOMG!!!!! Clueless organization :blah: :blah: :blah:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Why? It will just be ammunition for the big whiners and complainers to say "Regier and co. won't even interview [player name]! ZOMG!!!!! Clueless organization :blah: :blah: :blah:

I think it will tell us a bit more of where their heads are at.

And if we don't agree, then yeah they'll hear from the peanut gallery.:laugh:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Kevin Devine on the Sabres Combine coming up:

About 75 total invites
- 30-40 of the NHL Combine invitees
- The rest are other prospects they are interested in. Should help with the later rounds.

Forgot they started that...put those Pegula bucks to work!

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Well when I see the list I won't share it with anyone. ha ha

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
So, I've got these forwards grouped together on my draft board.
I'd love to hear how some you rank them and why.

Horvat
Shinkaruk
Wennburg

And does anyone else belong within this group?
Domi?
Zykov?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Well here's an interesting thought: would you trade down from 16 a few spots to pick up an extra pick and grab one of those 3 D-men you mentioned?
I'd consider it, as I don't think there's a large enough drop between 16 and 24 to not consider it. At worst, we can get a safe, character forward, plus another second-round pick, if we err in forecasting picks and miss out on the D (Morrissey, Santini). I also think McCoshen would be available closer to ~30.

For instance, Erne and Lazar aren't rushing me to the podium, as Carrier and de la Rose could be had later, possibly even Erne himself, if you're looking strictly at PFWs; and Lazar would wind up as a two-way, goal-scoring RW with our depth, so later you could draft Hartman or Compher in that same future role (alongside Larsson and Girgensons ideally). Pulock's skill-set is the one that would give me most pause passing on, as that offense and clapper is very difficult to replicate in this draft. I'd stay put for Wennberg and Horvat.

However, if you're asking me what's better for us: (A) Erne, for example, at 16; or (B) Morrissey/Santini + 2nd (idk, say de la Rose, Dickinson, Bailey) .. I'll take B every time.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
From NHL.com:

Gandler told NHL.com that Nichushkin and his other two Russian clients participating in the NHL Scouting Combine this week, left wing Pavel Buchnevich and center Bogdan Yakimov, will train together over the summer at Power Train Sports Institute in Manheim, Pa., under the guidance of Steve Saunders. The institute specializes in preparing college football players for the NFL Combine.

"Valeri's goal is not to just make the team, but to be one of the top players in the NHL in his first year, and that's why he's staying in North America the entire summer and going through a tremendous fitness routine," Gandler said.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=672471&navid=DL|NHL|home

If he's still there at 8 (which I doubt), and Lindholm is gone, I'm taking Nichuskin. I'd probably take him over Monahan at this point as well, and definitely over any of the defensemen. With the KHL threat gone, (coupled with the work ethic/desire referred to above), there is simply too much talent to pass up at #8. We can take a "safe" pick at 16.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Bakes responded to me on Twitter that he won't be divulging who's present at the Sabres Draft Combine. Perhaps one of you that's closer to Bakes can have a conversation with him post-combine, and then cite your unnamed sources within the organization. :naughty:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Mike Morreale ‏@mikemorrealeNHL 15m
First group to fitness tests on Fri (8:30am): Buchnevich, Drouin, Erne, Olofsson, C Petersen, Sanford, Tambellini, K Thompson, Wheaton.

Link: https://twitter.com/mikemorrealeNHL/status/340202413829021696

Mike Morreale ‏@mikemorrealeNHL 13m
Other notables for Fri testing: Jones 9:30; Nichushkin 11:30; MacKinnon/Fucale 1:30; Barkov 2:30

Link: https://twitter.com/mikemorrealeNHL/status/340202934191157248

Praying that some teams drop some of the Mem Cup guys who won't test out as well because they haven't been practicing them for weeks/months like many others.

I'd consider it, as I don't think there's a large enough drop between 16 and 24 to not consider it. At worst, we can get a safe, character forward, plus another second-round pick, if we err in forecasting picks and miss out on the D (Morrissey, Santini). I also think McCoshen would be available closer to ~30.

For instance, Erne and Lazar aren't rushing me to the podium, as Carrier and de la Rose could be had later, possibly even Erne himself, if you're looking strictly at PFWs; and Lazar would wind up as a two-way, goal-scoring RW with our depth, so later you could draft Hartman or Compher in that same future role (alongside Larsson and Girgensons ideally). Pulock's skill-set is the one that would give me most pause passing on, as that offense and clapper is very difficult to replicate in this draft. I'd stay put for Wennberg and Horvat.

However, if you're asking me what's better for us: (A) Erne, for example, at 16; or (B) Morrissey/Santini + 2nd (idk, say de la Rose, Dickinson, Bailey) .. I'll take B every time.

I'm with you on this. If a team is willing to throw a late-2nd at us to move down 5-8 spots, I think I'd do it--with the same caveat that you mentioned, specifically that I'm not doing it if Wennberg/Horvat/Zadorov/Shinkaruk/Pulock are still on the board. So many of the players who are going in that 15-20 range in some mocks are going in the 25-30 range in others. For instance, some people really like Kerby Rychel or Ryan Hartman at 16, but Rychel/Hartman may well be there at 21-25, too.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Kevin Snow ‏@kwsnow 12m

Defenseman Steven Santini is rising up a lot of draft boards; he spoke to 22 teams incl BUF. He'll be at Sabres combine next week

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

Horvat
Shinkaruk
Wennburg
For me, it's: Wennberg, Shinkaruk, Horvat .. Why? Wennberg plays a strong, all-around game (good skater, high IQ, goes into traffic, strong defensively, finishes checks) and has the size (strength will come) and defensive advantage over Shinkaruk (both have similar IQs); meanwhile, Horvat is a safe, two-way threat, which is solid, but leaves the other two prospects with higher ceilings IMO .. and FWIW, April consensus rankings had it: Shinkaruk, Horvat, Wennberg.

Domi?
Zykov?
Again, April consensus rankings had Erne, Domi, Lazar, Mantha and Gauthier following Shinkaruk and ahead of Horvat and Wennberg.

Praying that some teams drop some of the Mem Cup guys who won't test out as well because they haven't been practicing them for weeks/months like many others.
I'm hoping for Lindholm at 8 and Wennberg at 16 .. they're the slides I'm trying to convince myself could happen. :crossfing

I'm with you on this. If a team is willing to throw a late-2nd at us to move down 5-8 spots, I think I'd do it--with the same caveat that you mentioned, specifically that I'm not doing it if Wennberg/Horvat/Zadorov/Shinkaruk/Pulock are still on the board. So many of the players who are going in that 15-20 range in some mocks are going in the 25-30 range in others. For instance, some people really like Kerby Rychel or Ryan Hartman at 16, but Rychel/Hartman may well be there at 21-25, too.
Yep, it'll always come down to the BPA and how the draft fell, but I've considered it and can't really argue with those caveats. In fact, I looked at the possibilities last week and IIRC the teams after 16 with extra seconds were SJS, MTL and ANA.

Also, Hartman had his right arm all banged up half the year, so some may say 'imagine if he were healthy, he'd have x'. Personally, I think I have him ranked at 20 or 21.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa

Horvat
Shinkaruk
Wennburg

Domi?
Zykov?

Quickly, I would put them in the same order you listed them. I would include Domi and Lazar in that group.

Why that order?
Horvat is a winner, does everything well and is the ultimate competitor. Not sure what else to say. You name it, he does it. He should be a top 10 pick (and possibly our 8th).
Shinkaruk has the highest offensive ceiling of the 3 IMO, but gets beat by Horvat in every other facet of the game, except skating.
Wennburg does not have the intangibles that Horvat has and I like Horvat better offensively. It's not close for me. And I prefer Shinkaruk's offensive potential.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Devine on Erne and drafting chemistry:
The fact that these two are friends and have played together, will that come into play when Buffalo picks? Director of amateur scouting Kevin Devine said, “I think it does, I don’t know what the percentage would be, but it’s something we definitely would think about. You take a guy like Armia, there’s a couple of real good Finns in the draft. He’s coming over this year so it would be nice to have somebody of that group. You can’t deny that if somebody has chemistry with somebody and they’re up in the draft, and we’ve got a player that’s already played with a guy, I think that does come into play.”

So the next obvious question is, what kind of player is Erne? Devine said, “He’s a highly competitive kid, he’s got real good speed, he’s really thick, at times he’s very explosive. Once in a while you won’t notice him in a game, but most of the time he’s a goal scorer. He was probably the best player in the propect game in Halifax and he’s a first round player for sure.”

Link: http://www.wgr550.com/Erne-thinks-his-best-friend-will-help-the-Sabres/16485922

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad