2013 Draft Thread (Part 3) #8, 16, 38, 52, 69, 129, 130, 140, 159, 189

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't want to say "I don't care about projected offense" but for someone to have a touted defensive + skating + effort game at 18, they probably have the work ethic to transcend whatever people assume their scoring upside is.

To draw an analogy ( a bad one, but hey), he reminds me a bit of Bo Mikael Andersson: great speed and other parts to his game. If they think De La Rose's offense can develop, great, he's got qualities they could use. And if not, that's ok too. There are a lot of guys to like.

Grahn

Nov 9, 2011
i like all 3 players, just unsure if theyre the players I want at 16. doubt any last until 38....Hagg intrigues me the most outta those 3.

broken record but Jacob de La Rose is the Swede I really want at 38. It'll be interesting to see where he goes though, some think he rises into the 1st or possibly available at 35-45. Great size, outstanding skater, high intensity player, already gets it defensively and performed pretty well in a mens league at 17. love the upside, even if he doesnt hit the Backes comparisons, i could see a more physical Jannik Hansen type.

any other thoughts on de La Rose? havent heard many opinions on him yet.

I've kinda pictured him as a more likable kaleta

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
we lack guys like LaRose. A solid 3rd liner with strong defensive skills, good skating and a solid physical game? Also he's already playin against men with the age of 17/18.

Sign me up, I'd be glad if we take him at 38.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
we lack guys like LaRose. A solid 3rd liner with strong defensive skills, good skating and a solid physical game? Also he's already playin against men with the age of 17/18.

Sign me up, I'd be glad if we take him at 38.

I think we have several guys in the pipeline who can fit that mold, namely Kea and Catenacci (Girgensons/Larsson too, but their ceiling is higher). Sure you can never have too many...but you don't want to be in a position where you are forced to play them in the top 6 because all your skill guys suck (with the exception of for chemistry purposes). We need to take more chances on skill guys and hope some of them pan out.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The mod mock draft is up - http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=66762897#post66762897

Yes, I took RR before things got bandwagon-y. :biglaugh:

I have no idea why RR is so much more highly regarded on our board then every other one, while he is a very good prospect he just seems like a solid top 4 Dman to me, a guy who can get later on in the draft and not a great pick at #8, not bad either. I actually went back to rewatch world junior games to see what I was missing after the hype in this thread, he seems to do everything well but nothing at a level that makes me think that he is a franchise Dman like has been brought up, I think of him as a Zybnek Michalek type of NHL career, solid top 4 guy who plays #1 PK, 18-22 minute a night guy. A very good player but not a better prospect then EL/SM/VN/AB, I actually think it's a considerable gap after those top 7 players.

I am open to taking RR at #8 but I think the hype and expectations have gone alittle to far and exaggerated, Nikita Zadarov and/or Darnell Nurse both have as good if not better tool sets and could very well be selected higher and be better pro's.

I would have gone

8) Nichushkin
16) Horvat
38) Bowey
55) Wallmark

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
And i know VN slipping was before news that he'd likely be able to come over this year.

Can't really say much else but good job. RR and Zadorov? ONE of them is likely to be a top pairing guy.

Not familiar with either of the 2nd round picks -- a little scouting report, if you get time?

Exactly. Sabres shouldn't be afraid to take 2 players at the same position and double their chances of solidifying one top roster spot for the next decade.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I have no idea why RR is so much more highly regarded on our board then every other one, while he is a very good prospect he just seems like a solid top 4 Dman to me, a guy who can get later on in the draft and not a great pick at #8, not bad either. I actually went back to rewatch world junior games to see what I was missing after the hype in this thread, he seems to do everything well but nothing at a level that makes me think that he is a franchise Dman like has been brought up, I think of him as a Zybnek Michalek type of NHL career, solid top 4 guy who plays #1 PK, 18-22 minute a night guy. A very good player but not a better prospect then EL/SM/VN/AB, I actually think it's a considerable gap after those top 7 players.

I am open to taking RR at #8 but I think the hype and expectations have gone alittle to far and exaggerated, Nikita Zadarov and/or Darnell Nurse both have as good if not better tool sets and could very well be selected higher and be better pro's.

I would have gone

8) Nichushkin
16) Horvat
38) Bowey
55) Wallmark

Again, remember that when Chain was initially talking about the mod mock, there was SIGNIFICANT concern as to when/if VN would come over.

Lately, that concern has been more or less nuked away.

Back when Chain first made the pick, I didn't want Buffalo to touch VN with a 50 foot pole. Now, go right ahead if he slips.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Whats the 411 on this guy 38- Buffalo: William Carrier, LW, Cape Breton, QMJHL?

Haven't seen much talk of him in here.

He would've been a 1st rounder if he didn't get injured.

I think he's a steal at 38

power forward
total package of size, skating, skill

if you like Mantha or Erne, Carrier is in the same boat.

i think he's a borderline top 20 prospect. Good value in the 20-30 range. And a steal in the 2nd.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Whats the 411 on this guy 38- Buffalo: William Carrier, LW, Cape Breton, QMJHL?

Haven't seen much talk of him in here.

Breakout season in 11-12 with CB, his second full year in the Q, with 27g and 70 pts In 66 games...and the Eagles were atrocious that year. Smarts, hands, a good shot, thicker frame as he's pushing 200lbs at just over six feet.

Seems to have played poorly on the bigger stages for Canada. This past season, 40 pts in the first 24 games, then his linemate Alex Lavoie got dealt to the Oceanic, he scored about one or two points in the next 10+, and then sprained his ankle, which kept him out for the year.

Many reports compare him to Erik Cole, but I think he is more like a MaxPac in terms of speed/size down the forehand wing and a driving force towards the crease.

One of my favorite prospects, but a guy I see being taken late first or early second. He has a gorgeous stride and is sound in all zones, which to me, means he projects to at worst a third liner, and a surer thing to be in the league.

Him at 38 would be ideal IMO. A steal.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
If you want a different look at eligibles, McKeen's wrote a CHL Expanded Stats 2012-13 blog entry on Wednesday .. the .xls file is found HERE .. ie. the leaders in A1 (primary assists) were: Petan (47), Drouin (35), Monahan (32), MacKinnon (32), Shinkaruk (30); or the GmCloseGL (goals scored while game situation was tied, team ahead by a goal or behind by a goal) among recently discussed eligibles were: Drouin (19, most), Horvat (14), Mantha (13), Erne (12), Lazar (12), Baptiste (11), Monahan (10), Rychel (9), Poirier (9), Carrier (6); and so on...

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
As I said on the main board thread...

I'd be pretty upset if the board fell this way and we picked:

8) Ristolainen
16) Zadarov

over

8) Nichuskin
16) Horvat

I would much rather have the second pair.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
As I said on the main board thread...

I'd be pretty upset if the board fell this way and we picked:

8) Ristolainen
16) Zadarov

over

8) Nichuskin
16) Horvat

I would much rather have the second pair.

Keep in mind that Chain made these picks about a month ago, so while Nichuskin's willingness to come across the pond was very much in doubt and before Horvat's OHL playoff performance, etc.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Keep in mind that Chain made these picks about a month ago, so while Nichuskin's willingness to come across the pond was very much in doubt and before Horvat's OHL playoff performance, etc.

I don't like Nichushkin. *shrug* I imagine that since I don't, he's going to be the guy they take. :laugh: It was less about him coming over and more about what sort of player I think he become. Of those available at 8, I have issues with all of that cluster to one degree or another, so I went with Risto.

Zadarov is a possible top-10 pick for some. When he was still there at 16 with Gauthier and Domi gone, he was the BPA I had on my list. Horvat's hype wasn't yet to the level it is at (not unlike Maatta last year who despite the hype still didn't shift his position from where various sources had him ranked).

Like I said, people wouldn't be happy. :laugh:

The bigger debate I had was between Poirier and Baptiste with the second second rounder. It was basically a coin-flip. Carrier was easy since guys like Compher, Petan, McCarron, and Nastasiuk had all just gone.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
The bigger debate I had was between Poirier and Baptiste with the second second rounder. It was basically a coin-flip. Carrier was easy since guys like Compher, Petan, McCarron, and Nastasiuk had all just gone.

I saw that Baptiste was taken one or two picks after Poirier.
I don't know much about Poirier but I'm kinda on the Baptiste bandwagon. I was hoping to see him picked there.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I don't like Nichushkin. *shrug* I imagine that since I don't, he's going to be the guy they take. :laugh: It was less about him coming over and more about what sort of player I think he become. Of those available at 8, I have issues with all of that cluster to one degree or another, so I went with Risto.

Zadarov is a possible top-10 pick for some. When he was still there at 16 with Gauthier and Domi gone, he was the BPA I had on my list. Horvat's hype wasn't yet to the level it is at (not unlike Maatta last year who despite the hype still didn't shift his position from where various sources had him ranked).

Like I said, people wouldn't be happy. :laugh:

At the time, I probably would've went: Ristolainen, Wennberg, Carrier, Baptiste; then with the third, I'd be considering: Cehlarik, Dahlstrom, Downing, Fasching, Henriksson and Tambellini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad