2013 Draft Thread (Part 3) #8, 16, 38, 52, 69, 129, 130, 140, 159, 189

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
mod mock comments

8 - Ristolainen - It's the pick I would've made. I've had him as high as #5 on my board (I've been doing more Lindholm homework this week, and he's back at #5, with Risto at #6 now). I think he's a sure thing to be a top 4 NHL defensemen. I think he's also NHL ready. He is definitely the definition of a Complete Package defensemen. He possess all the skills you look for in a true #1 defensemen. He is an excellent transition passer and also has the wheels to transition with the puck on his stick. He can QB a PP and has a blistering point shot. He's a physically punishing player in his own zone and a beast on the boards.... and he's a righty.

I'd say he has his brain fart d zone moments, and makes some questionable decisions, but he's in a men's league. He's a 17 year old playing against pros... it's to be expected.

The visual comparison... is Pronger. yea, yea... it's very doubtful he (or any other D man for that matter) will ever be as good as Pronger. But when you see the combination of fluidity and power.... it's the comparison you can't help but make.

16 - Zadarov - 2 Dmen??? I think it's a great route. It completely changes the complexion of our D Pipeline... it went from "nice"... to pretty ****ing beastly, in one round.

I think Zadarov is a big risk, big project defensemen... but this lotto ticket is too sweet to pass... I get a boner thinking about the absolutely unlikely event that our defense actually reaches all of it's potential. It's pants ******** awesome.
Zadarov-Myers
Pysyk-Ristoleinan
McNabb-McCabe

38 Carrier - I'm a big fan of this steal. I think he's most under the radar/underrated player in the draft right now. He'd be pushing into the top 10-15 if he didn't get injured and some how fall off everyone's map. I like him more than Mantha.

55 - Poirier - Definitely fits the bill as BPA. Is he a high end talent (offense) or is he just another second tier Q scorer who doesn't translate to the NHL? Buffalo can take the risk, their pipeline is solid. I like Baptiste a lot though.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I was fine with Ristolainen at 8 if the board broke that way, and Zadarov is a very good value at 16. If things panned out, the Sabres would have a very large, mobile blueline in a few years with Ristolainen, Myers, Zadorov, and McNabb (hopefully).

I would have picked Horvat at 16, even then, because I think he's going to be a tough minutes, possession beast who'll also consistently pot 20+ goals and 50+ pts, and be a guy who scores big goals for you. We are the worst possession team in the NHL right now, and looking down at the under-25 players in this organization, outside of maybe Girgensons and Larsson, I'm not sure what forwards in this organization can play tough minutes and drive possession.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I saw that Baptiste was taken one or two picks after Poirier.
I don't know much about Poirier but I'm kinda on the Baptiste bandwagon. I was hoping to see him picked there.

I like both guys a lot. Baptiste has wheels, frame, and finish -- just not yet to the level of the guys above him. I'm a big fan.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Zadorov and Ristolainen also would lessen the risk of them moving Myers or if Myers development path continues downward. I doubt it breaks that way and I doubt Regier would draft it out that way. But I'm not Darcy. :biglaugh: Some combination of Myers, Ristolainen, Zadorov, McNabb, McCabe in the future has a lot of appeal as they have size, skating (outside of Brady) and snarl. I want defensemen to defend, make it hell to get to the net, and move the puck swiftly and surely on the outlet. All of those guys have that to their game.

Poirier has... something... that reminds me of a lesser Giroux type of guy. Smaller guy, some moxy and offensive skill. :biglaugh: I'm probably wrong.

Carrier was an early season "A" lister. The Cole and Pacioretty comparables are there -- big man who can move and use his frame in dirty areas, something the Sabres pipeline is also lacking.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Some of the Scouting Combine blog entries: Complete list of NHL Scouting Combine invitees .. UNH D-man Pesce attracts attention at Combine .. Nichushkin looking to answer doubters at Combine .. Shinkaruk remains a confident leader .. Solid postseason could make Horvat a high pick .. Hartman persevered in unlucky season of injuries.

Worth noting from the above: 101 invitees .. Pesce got high praise from Central Scouting's David Gregory for his stick and body positioning .. Nichushkin's consistency is a concern; will train in PA at Power Train this summer per agent .. Hartman played with a torn labrum since December and his right arm is in a sling/brace at the combine.

Edit: Today is the fourth day of one-on-one interviews with invitees .. the fitness testing is Friday and Saturday .. next week are the personal visits to NHL facilities (ie. Rychel has visits scheduled with four NHL teams per The Windsor Star).

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Hoping some more info on who Darcy and the scouts like is revealed soon. We usually get a pretty decent read on who they like compared to how little information they leak about trade targets.

In the past we haven't shied away from picking the best offensive talent outside of the top picks (Armia, Ennis, even Zagrapan *ugh*) so you'd have to think if Lindholm and Nichuskin are taken that Shinkaruk could be a target.

I'm also curious if Regier and Devine are some of the many people who feel Barkov isn't that far off from Mackinnon in terms of potential.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I was fine with Ristolainen at 8 if the board broke that way, and Zadarov is a very good value at 16. If things panned out, the Sabres would have a very large, mobile blueline in a few years with Ristolainen, Myers, Zadorov, and McNabb (hopefully).

I would have picked Horvat at 16, even then, because I think he's going to be a tough minutes, possession beast who'll also consistently pot 20+ goals and 50+ pts, and be a guy who scores big goals for you. We are the worst possession team in the NHL right now, and looking down at the under-25 players in this organization, outside of maybe Girgensons and Larsson, I'm not sure what forwards in this organization can play tough minutes and drive possession.

The more you guys talk about Horvat the more he sounds like a Shane Doan 2.0. Not sure if that's accurate or not but that's my impression just from this board.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
The more you guys talk about Horvat the more he sounds like a Shane Doan 2.0. Not sure if that's accurate or not but that's my impression just from this board.

I see him as Ryan O'Reilly. I'm not huge on comparables but in terms of two-way skill, work ethic, and strength at similar age, they are pretty similar.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Some of the Scouting Combine blog entries: Complete list of NHL Scouting Combine invitees .. UNH D-man Pesce attracts attention at Combine .. Nichushkin looking to answer doubters at Combine .. Shinkaruk remains a confident leader .. Solid postseason could make Horvat a high pick .. Hartman persevered in unlucky season of injuries.

Worth noting from the above: 101 invitees .. Pesce got high praise from Central Scouting's David Gregory for his stick and body positioning .. Nichushkin's consistency is a concern; will train in PA at Power Train this summer per agent .. Hartman played with a torn labrum since December and his right arm is in a sling/brace at the combine.

Edit: Today is the fourth day of one-on-one interviews with invitees .. the fitness testing is Friday and Saturday .. next week are the personal visits to NHL facilities (ie. Rychel has visits scheduled with four NHL teams per The Windsor Star).

As a defenseman by trade, I have to say my piece here. A few notes:

I know I have a bias. I know my views on my two local defensemen are a bit...exaggerated due to knowing them so well.

But Steve Santini and Brett Pesce will be NHL defensemen for a long time.

Santini is Ryan McDonagh reincarnated, but with a little more natural offense, just as smart of a positional game (which McD is fantastic with), a bit less of the direct physicality, and as good of an active stick. He's already McD's size at 6'1, 210, and should add some weight and maybe an inch or two. He has progressed as a leader, on and off the ice, weight room, lockerroom, everywhere. He knows where to be in his own zone, when to be there, how to be there with effectiveness, and is in the top-3 in this entire draft class with regards to versatility and being able to be paired with any kind of partner (I'd put RR and Bigras in that convo ahead of him based on my research, ahead of Jones in that regard)

People might think it'd be a reach at 16 to take him, but if you can FF to four years from now, and then look back and ask yourself if you'd spend the 16th overall pick on a top-4, all situations defenseman with excellent smarts, ability to shut down top opponents and eat incredibly solid minutes a la McD, you'd sign up for it in a heartbeat. He won't make it out of the first round, that much I'm sure of.

Pesce went in to UNH and earned a top-4 spot....as a true freshman. He did this while playing at a thin 170lbs...just as good in the offensive zone as he is in the defensive zone, and while that article compares him to Krug in a sense, the comparison is incredibly off, because Pesce has a good 2.5 inches on Krug and is more physical/defensively sound. He's also incredible with body position and stick work.

As he continues at UNH, they'll beef him up, coach him up, and he'll probably go before Santini after this combine showing. But despite the final NA rankings, I would see Santini ahead of Pesce, personally. One of the best things I've been able to do is pick apart the brains of some of the boys I coach, including the goaltender of Santini at Applecore, who played with both of them. To hear about how they are in the room, with me not having coached either of them specifically.... gives you good insight. That's not why I have them high, though :)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I've seen Santini flying up draft boards, and the internet is full of McDonagh comparisons... but have people seen him much? I saw him at WJC, and he was solid. But that's all I saw.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I've seen Santini flying up draft boards, and the internet is full of McDonagh comparisons... but have people seen him much? I saw him at WJC, and he was solid. But that's all I saw.

DOMINATED at the U-18 Worlds, being named the tournament's top defenseman without registering a point. That screams, to me, that you're noticeably doing your job at the position...when you can get recognized for shutdown performance and positional discipline, amongst other things, in a tournament so focused on quantifiable production.

Looked good in Buffalo for the AA Prospects game.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
article from our local paper on Santini after the U18s:

http://www.lohud.com/article/20130504/SPORTS/305040115/Steven-Santini-has-all-tools-NHL-draft-nears

Any team looking for a defenseman capable of shutting down one side of the ice will take a good look at Santini during the NHL combine May 27-June 1 in Toronto.

He managed just 15 assists in 66 games for USA Hockey this season against USHL, college and international opponents, but was plus-15. At the world championships, Santini was plus-8 and the primary reason why USA Hockey gave up a tournament-low 22.7 shots per game.

Santini was constantly matched up against the opposition’s top-scoring line, which makes the numbers even more impressive and prompted NHL Network analyst Craig Button to compare him to Dan Girardi of the Rangers.

“He discourages the other team,” Granato said. “Steven is really good at running opponents into bad ice, and it’s all very simple to him. He is not a flashy player.”

I don't like the Girardi comparison as much as McD, though I'd obviously welcome either to our blueline.

I also think that there's something unheralded about the offensive side, which I expect to grow and blossom in college

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
DOMINATED at the U-18 Worlds, being named the tournament's top defenseman without registering a point. That screams, to me, that you're noticeably doing your job at the position...when you can get recognized for shutdown performance and positional discipline, amongst other things, in a tournament so focused on quantifiable production.

Looked good in Buffalo for the AA Prospects game.

hmmm i missed that

I'm generally skeptical of late season hype driving draft value when it's a player I haven't seen enough of

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Morrissey, McCoshen and Santini are defensemen I like but expect to go before 38 and doubt that we'll be looking at them at 16, so I haven't really brought them up for discussion of late .. Pesce and Vanelli could be D in the conversation at 38 though .. also, I think this is a re-post, but here's NYHJ's profile on Santini:
Draft outlook: First round, between No. 20 and No. 30

Scouting report: Hard-nosed, right-shooting defender is a smooth skater with fine footwork and the ability to change direction quickly. Has fine vision and natural instincts to play the position effectively. Superb gap control and aware of his positioning; makes open-ice hits and tough to beat along the walls. Intimidating presence who competes hard but is not dirty. Plays with his head up and makes on-target outlet passes in transition. Offensive game is a question mark; does not score many points and tends to be conservative. Has a powerful point shot, but needs to work on getting it off faster and improving the accuracy. Stellar character and leadership traits.

“Patrols the slot area and makes opposing forwards pay for every inch of real estate. Plays with good defensive awareness and an active stick. …Can contribute offensively with a heavy shot …” — Red Line Report, November 2012
“He’s a horse,” that Western Conference scout added. “He skates well and uses his size the way you want without taking bad penalties in the process. I think the only real question with him is what his ultimate upside is. But, every team in the league is looking for the kind of gritty competitor he is.”

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Morrissey, McCoshen and Santini are defensemen I like but expect to go before 38 and doubt that we'll be looking at them at 16, so I haven't really brought them up for discussion of late .. Pesce and Vanelli could be D in the conversation at 38 though .. also, I think this is a re-post, but here's NYHJ's profile on Santini:

Well here's an interesting thought: would you trade down from 16 a few spots to pick up an extra pick and grab one of those 3 D-men you mentioned?

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Ryan Kennedy ‏@THNRyanKennedy 33m

Hanging out at the draft combine today and it's funny: kids have all said different teams for toughest interview: OTT, BUF, MTL and SJ so far

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

SabresBills2013

Apr 29, 2013
Anyone know if they publish a list of who we interviewed at the combine anywhere? Would love to see who we sat down with.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I think 26CornerBlitz summed up my thoughts almost perfectly in the mock comments:

'Sabres pass on Nichushkin @ 8 and Horvat @ 16 to wind up two D. Can't see that happening.'

Only thing I would have added is 'it better not happen'.

The rest of the picks to me weren't bad, I would have prefered Bigras to Carrier and possibly Baptiste or Bailey to Poirier, but I'm really just nitpicking. If we got Zadarov as 16 I'd be escatatic (if Mr. Horvat is gone of course).

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Anyone know if they publish a list of who we interviewed at the combine anywhere? Would love to see who we sat down with.

They haven't in the past.

Last year we got some clues about prospects and different teams just from what was written or tweeted.

Edit: Kevin Devine interview up at Sabres.com. He states that they are interviewing 75 of the 100 prospects. They have 5 left. They interviewed the local kids: Sean Malone and Justin Bailey.
I would love to see who we are not going to sit down with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad