2013 Draft Thread (Part 3) #8, 16, 38, 52, 69, 129, 130, 140, 159, 189

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Hoppe with some more Devine quotes:
“I think some things have changed,†amateur scouting director Kevin Devine said this afternoon during a break at the NHL Scouting Combine inside the International Centre. “The fact we moved some defenseman (at) the trade deadline, around there, two or three kids that are entry-level contracts are up in Rochester. So I don’t think there’s any specific position. I think they’re all in play this year.â€

Devine added: “This year, with the exception of maybe goaltender, I think the first pick will come down to a defenseman or forward.â€
Devine said general manager Darcy Regier has “talked to everybody, all the teams that are out of the playoffs.â€

“Everybody knows we’ve got all kinds of picks, we’ve got assets,†Devine said. “There’s conversations going all the time. Nothing really will happen until we get close to the draft.â€
“I probably say this every year,†Devine said. “It’s the toughest draft ever. … With a lot of things in play, a lot of players are very close. It’s a deep draft. It probably goes into the low 20s where a team’s going to get a very good player. A player at 20 might be as good as a player at 11. The fact we need time to move up in the draft. We’ve got some assets to do that. We’re still digging on that.â€
“There’s still a lot of work to do, and we got an initial list to go,†Devine said. “If there’s asignificant difference in the player, then we’ll probably just go best available.â€

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
Devine on Erne and drafting chemistry:The fact that these two are friends and have played together, will that come into play when Buffalo picks? Director of amateur scouting Kevin Devine said, “I think it does, I don’t know what the percentage would be, but it’s something we definitely would think about. You take a guy like Armia, there’s a couple of real good Finns in the draft. He’s coming over this year so it would be nice to have somebody of that group. You can’t deny that if somebody has chemistry with somebody and they’re up in the draft, and we’ve got a player that’s already played with a guy, I think that does come into play.â€

So the next obvious question is, what kind of player is Erne? Devine said, “He’s a highly competitive kid, he’s got real good speed, he’s really thick, at times he’s very explosive. Once in a while you won’t notice him in a game, but most of the time he’s a goal scorer. He was probably the best player in the propect game in Halifax and he’s a first round player for sure.â€

Link: http://www.wgr550.com/Erne-thinks-hi...abres/16485922

Well obviously the only explanation for this is that Devine has been reading Jame's posts, I was told that's the only way you could believe Erne was a first rounder!

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Well obviously the only explanation for this is that Devine has been reading Jame's posts, I was told that's the only way you could believe Erne was a first rounder!
First round talent and someone selected in the 1st round are two different things.

Was hoping we would pick that elusive 4th position this year honestly. :huh:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I watched a video on the TSN site of Subban's combine workouts. He has effortless athleticism; that family is really genetically blessed.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
TSN - 2013 NHL Draft Combine Special. <45:30>

(Button's 1-14 mock has Nichushkin to us at eight)

More on the Buffalo combine, including dates and invites:
The best prospects will come to Buffalo on Sunday and Monday. Players who didn’t get an invitation to the NHL combine will visit Tuesday through Thursday. The event is closed to the public.

“We invited all the guys in the first round, but the top guys have to go other places or have other commitments,†Devine said, alluding to Seth Jones, Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin. “A lot of the top guys just finished playing, too. We’ve got more Europeans coming in this year, which is good.â€

Link: http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130531/SPORTS/130539820/1104

I've seen on Twitter that Jones won't attend, not surprising, but I am curious what Euros will attend.

Confirmed for Buffalo combine: Erne + Labbe + Monahan + Rychel + Santini + 70 or so others

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Craig Button seems to think that their will be shuffling in the top of the draft this year after speaking with teams

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
It will more than likely just mean Tampa Bay to #1 with Colorado to #3.

I don't see why Colorado does that. If they think Mackinnon is the BPA they take him @ 1 or they take Seth Jones because they need a franchise defender. They don't let the lightning and panthers determine who they'll take because they could lose out on Jones and Mackinnon that way. Honestly the only way I see them moving the pick is if they get some huge package for it that blows them away. Much like many around here are suggesting. I don't see it being very likely however.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I could see Colorado trying to smoke signals to Florida that they are trading down with Tampa.

Florida, concerned then that their division rival with jump past them and take their guy, offer Colorado a package to move from 2 to 1, thereby blocking the Lightning from moving up.

Colorado then accepts, contingent upon Colorado and Florida wanting different players (like the LA/Buffalo trade to pick Myers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA