Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: "Lindholm Syndrome"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
How would you guys rank 4-8 in the draft (assuming Mac, Drouin and Jones are gone). I have 4th overall and 6th overall in a keeper league. So I'm looking at 2 of Barkov, Lindholm, Nichushkin and Monahan which is pretty exciting!

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
How would you guys rank 4-8 in the draft (assuming Mac, Drouin and Jones are gone). I have 4th overall and 6th overall in a keeper league. So I'm looking at 2 of Barkov, Lindholm, Nichushkin and Monahan which is pretty exciting!

Barkov, Nichushkin, Lindholm, Monahan. Also for a keeper league, it actually wouldn't surprise me if Jones is there at 4, just based on DMen being kind of a crapshoot. MacKinnon, Drouin and Barkov will all likely be 1st line players who can put up big points.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003

From an Oilers POV: Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, Nichushkin
From a fantasy hockey POV: Barkov, Lindholm, Nichushkin, Monahan

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Personally I think I'll be happy with whoever the Oilers pick at 7. I still have quite a bit of faith in their drafting, not so much their developing though. I wouldn't mind trading down either really, but Lazar flat out at 7 without trading down would be unfortunate.

So you'll be happy with whoever but Lazar at 7?

Ok, sure, no bias there.

:shakehead

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I'm expecting most to go Mac, Drouin, Barkov, so you'll probably land Jones at 4 (take him. He's the best d prospect to come along for a LONG time), and then Lindholm probably goes 5. If you don't care about the Russian factor, go for Nichushkin. If you do, take Monahan

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Yeah because it's so easy to watch Finnish Elaine league games in Edmonton. Maybe I'll just roll into Boston Pizza at 7 AM and see if they're playing one.

Do you have a computer? You can probably find archived games easily enough. His team might even have a Youtube channel...many options to view prospects if you really want to.

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
I agree the Oil need a centre, preferably one with size, but if Nichushkin is there at 7, I think they'd be nuts to pass on him. I'd take him, even over Monahan, the guy is a monster and he's got first line, first overall talent, first overall size, and he plays LW, which we are short one of. I don't think he'll slip to us, but if he does, I think the Oil would be crazy to pass on him.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
I agree the Oil need a centre, preferably one with size, but if Nichushkin is there at 7, I think they'd be nuts to pass on him. I'd take him, even over Monahan, the guy is a monster and he's got first line, first overall talent, first overall size, and he plays LW, which we are short one of. I don't think he'll slip to us, but if he does, I think the Oil would be crazy to pass on him.

Like Yakupov Nichushkin is best on the right wing.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Nichushkin isn't a sniper who depends a lot on one-timers or being set up to finish plays from the slot etc. He's a power forward, bull-his-way to the net type of player. That style doesn't really depend on skating in from the right/left and/or centre for that matter.

After watching him play, I think he could play either wing effectively. Whether he can play centre adequately of course depends on his faceoff and defensive abilities BUT saying that, there are plenty of centres (even 1st liners) around the league with average to mediocre faceoff skills their entire careers.

His defensive abilities are likely something that will need work... as is the case with basically every 18 year old player so expecting him to jump into a C role versus other top lines in his rookie year is asking a lot regardless.

Very few forward prospects at the age of 18 play C and excel defensively... Couturier being one of the few exceptions.

I personally have no illusions that it might be a rocky year or two with Nichushkin as he learns the NHL game... same with many, many other prospects. His ceiling is enormous though and his skillset and talent level is obvious. Drafting is always a risk/reward process when comparing various prospects and I think Nichushkin is worth the risk.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Barkov, Nichushkin, Lindholm, Monahan. Also for a keeper league, it actually wouldn't surprise me if Jones is there at 4, just based on DMen being kind of a crapshoot. MacKinnon, Drouin and Barkov will all likely be 1st line players who can put up big points.

From an Oilers POV: Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, Nichushkin
From a fantasy hockey POV: Barkov, Lindholm, Nichushkin, Monahan

I'm expecting most to go Mac, Drouin, Barkov, so you'll probably land Jones at 4 (take him. He's the best d prospect to come along for a LONG time), and then Lindholm probably goes 5. If you don't care about the Russian factor, go for Nichushkin. If you do, take Monahan

Thanks guys! I think Jones will go in the top 3, just a feeling I'm getting from talking to him a bit, as I was trying to trade up into the top 3. Your guys rankings are very similar to mine, so thats good to see. Really hoping I can snag Barkov, and then with the next Lindholm, if not than Nichushkin.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He has primarily played LW in the KHL. But honestly, he is capable of playing all 3 forward positions, playing some C in the subway super series and the WJC.

He definitely played wing at the WJC, I think played wing at the Subway series too. He is going to be a winger in the NHL.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I hate the 2003 draft comparisons because whenever I read them I can't help but think almost everybody ends up with a great player and we end up with a Pouliot. Call it hindsight or not, but in the context of that draft that might be our worst draft pick in the 21st century.

Yeah that one really hurt us. That was THE draft to clean up in and we came out of it with Pouliot, JFJ, and McDonald with our top 3 picks.

Even though LA came out of it with Brown, they had 3 picks in the 1st round that year, and used two of them on Brian Boyle and Jeff Tambellini.

Boyle is better than Pouliot and Tambellini could be argued to be = Pouliot, so that doesn't make me feel any better :(

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I just want whoever we draft to bring more of a complete game and high compete level. I know that drafting BPA here is a popular belief, but it is also very subjective. Could mean the player with the highest offensive ceiling, or the most complete game, the most likely to pan out, or even the one that fits the team the best. All this said, IMO this player that we will be drafting NEEDS to be a C, because I'm not sure that there will be another opportunity to get one and Gagner just doesn't seem like the ideal complement to RNH. Barkov would be ideal, but Monahan and Lindholm are both great options, and even "worst" case where we end up with Lazar, I'd be happy. We just need a solid 2 way centerman, doesn't need to be an offensive dynamo, just a solid guy that has good all around skills and can contribute ~50 points. I'd have to personally say no to Nichuhskin, despite the size I question the compete level.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Nichushkin isn't a sniper who depends a lot on one-timers or being set up to finish plays from the slot etc. He's a power forward, bull-his-way to the net type of player. That style doesn't really depend on skating in from the right/left and/or centre for that matter.

After watching him play, I think he could play either wing effectively. Whether he can play centre adequately of course depends on his faceoff and defensive abilities BUT saying that, there are plenty of centres (even 1st liners) around the league with average to mediocre faceoff skills their entire careers.

His defensive abilities are likely something that will need work... as is the case with basically every 18 year old player so expecting him to jump into a C role versus other top lines in his rookie year is asking a lot regardless.

Very few forward prospects at the age of 18 play C and excel defensively... Couturier being one of the few exceptions.

I personally have no illusions that it might be a rocky year or two with Nichushkin as he learns the NHL game... same with many, many other prospects. His ceiling is enormous though and his skillset and talent level is obvious. Drafting is always a risk/reward process when comparing various prospects and I think Nichushkin is worth the risk.

I don't see Nichushkin being a center in the NHL his strengths lead to him being a better winger than center, even trying to put him into the center position is like forcing a square peg into a round hole. We've had far too many experiments over the years trying to convert wingers to centers- either draft centers or trade for them. No more of this Hall/Smyth/Hemsky/Pisani/Penner/etc. to center crap.

For the Oilers future the most important aspect for a center to have is hockey sense first and foremost, if they don't have that I don't want them as a center on my team. While it has been debated in this thread before on what kind of hockey sense Nichushkin has, it's clearly not his bread and butter and it's not the reason why some scouts consider him a top 5 pick; the reason he is viewed that high is cause he is a tantalizing combination of imposing size with skating ability and good hands.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

I'd take Barkov with the 4th and Pulock with the 6th. Pulock IMO will put up more points then any other d man in the 1st round.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
He definitely played wing at the WJC, I think played wing at the Subway series too. He is going to be a winger in the NHL.

I don't disagree he will be a winger, just stating he played some C at both the WJC and the Subway series. I specifically recall when the inept Russian coach finally realized Yak and Khoklachev weren't clicking that Nichushkin got a couple shifts centring him. Also was 4 th line C in Subway series.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'll be very surprised, and disappointed, if Mact actually trots up to the podium and makes the pick at 7th. Trade for a player or trade down for a pick+player.

The Perfect Human*

I'll be very surprised, and disappointed, if Mact actually trots up to the podium and makes the pick at 7th. Trade for a player or trade down for a pick+player.

Bobby Mac has them trading the pick in his books.

nando2392

Apr 26, 2013
I'd take Barkov with the 4th and Pulock with the 6th. Pulock IMO will put up more points then any other d man in the 1st round.

I don't think Pulock will put up more points than Morrissey! IMHO I think Morrisseys offensive upside is beyond any of the other Dmen in this draft. If I was MacT I would seriously consider getting another pick and stealing him.

My trade proposal would be: edm 7th overall plus both our seconds for buffalos 8th overall and 16th, I would throw hamilton in that deal also. Draft Lazar/Hovart and Morrisey
http://jrhockeyrecruit.com/2012/12/josh-morrissey-scouting-report/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPbPsjFzIHk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
1st I can't see the Oilers trading the pick until they are on the clock. 2nd I can't see an opposing team acquiring the pick until they know who is on the board. Even if Phi is going to trade say Hartnell for our pick....they aren't going to do it until the first six picks are made and they know their guy is still available.

And if Monahan is available when we pick then I don't see us trading it since MacT have talked so highly of him. If he is gone....yeah I can see a trade. Remember Stu and MacT have said that they can't see Monahan being available at their pick

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
1st I can't see the Oilers trading the pick until they are on the clock. 2nd I can't see an opposing team acquiring the pick until they know who is on the board. Even if Phi is going to trade say Hartnell for our pick....they aren't going to do it until the first six picks are made and they know their guy is still available.

And if Monahan is available when we pick then I don't see us trading it since MacT have talked so highly of him. If he is gone....yeah I can see a trade. Remember Stu and MacT have said that they can't see Monahan being available at their pick

Might just be mis-direction and who they really want is Lindholm :)

Haven't watched many of these kids, but from everything I've read, the probability of getting a great prospect that would normally be a top 3 pick at 7 is quite high. I'm not sure I want to give that up for a coke machine to play in our bottom 6 (or whatever other grab bag of suck they come up with)

Any of Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, or Nichushkin sound like almost sure fire NHLers with a good chance to be very good ones to boot. I will be very disappointed to give that up for spare parts.

Personally really hoping to try to move up to grab Barkov as from what I've read I believe he could step in and contribute right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille