Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: "Lindholm Syndrome"

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I updated my rankings with CB's rankings incorporated.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=66987935&postcount=567

If mods want to use it in the first post of the next thread that would be A-OK by me.

Nice work DIO

I really hope that we have Theodore or Bowey available at 37......and Heatherington at Ana pick.

I like Theodore's offensive potential....Boweys all around and him being RH.

Bowey-Heatherinton would be quite a nice pairing in a few years (I actually like Heatherinton the best of all the dmen after Jones and Nurse).

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Nice work DIO

I really hope that we have Theodore or Bowey available at 37......and Heatherington at Ana pick.

I like Theodore's offensive potential....Boweys all around and him being RH.

Bowey-Heatherinton would be quite a nice pairing in a few years (I actually like Heatherinton the best of all the dmen after Jones and Nurse).

One of those picks will go towards Jarry IMO

However I'd be a fan of picking Bowey as well.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
One of those picks will go towards Jarry IMO

However I'd be a fan of picking Bowey as well.

I think so too but I hope they don't make the mistake of taking a goalie that early. A caller to Oilers Now (from Tampa) did research and since 1990 or 1999 their have been 33 goalies taken in the second round and only 9 have played more than 65 games in the NHL. And the caller said that the goalies that made up the 9 were names like A. Auld etc.

The numbers indicate taking a goalie that early is a mistake.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
NSH wouldn't do this but i would love a deal like:

To EDM: Wilson, Josi
To NSH: Gagner, 7th

We get a big nhl ready 2C and a top 4 dman

They get an offensive 1/2C and a top pick where they could draft Monahan/Lindholm/Nichushkin

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
NSH wouldn't do this but i would love a deal like:

To EDM: Wilson, Josi
To NSH: Gagner, 7th

We get a big nhl ready 2C and a top 4 dman

They get an offensive 1/2C and a top pick where they could draft Monahan/Lindholm/Nichushkin

i'm honestly not sure if this package is able to land Josi alone. the kid's not just top 4, he's just something else, nobody will remember Suter in NSH next year. i'd love Oilers to go all in on him though.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think so too but I hope they don't make the mistake of taking a goalie that early. A caller to Oilers Now (from Tampa) did research and since 1990 or 1999 their have been 33 goalies taken in the second round and only 9 have played more than 65 games in the NHL. And the caller said that the goalies that made up the 9 were names like A. Auld etc.

The numbers indicate taking a goalie that early is a mistake.

Drafting in the 90s is apples and oranges with today's drafting. When was the last time a first overall (or top 3 overall) was a bust. Even if it wasn't long ago, the 90s was full of first round busts. I'm sure if you ran the stats on skaters being successful from the 1st round in the 90s compared to now it would be night and day. And I think goalies would be the same.
I think I was someone post another stat the other day showing that 14-16 teams' starting goalies from last season were selected in the first 3 rounds of their drafts.

Last edited:

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
No doubt it's worth it, to us. But would you have traded Yakupov/Hall/RNH for 2 picks that resulted in the likes of Paajarvi + Burmistrov?

well, this year's 7th is a very strong pick itself as there are 7-8 players who are projected to be almost surefire successful NHLers; while next year's might still very well be top 10.
i'd even add another asset - heard Colorado is a bit thin on wings so Hemsky could be useful to them and also off our hands.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Drafting in the 90s is apples and oranges with today's drafting. When was the last time a first overall (or top 3 overall) was a bust. Even if it wasn't long ago, the 90s was full of first round busts. I'm sure if you ran the stats on skaters being successful from the 1st round in the 90s compared to now it would be night and day. And I think goalies would be the same.
I think I was someone post another stat the other day showing that 14-16 teams' starting goalies from last season were selected in the first 3 rounds of their drafts.

The guy did it from either 1990 or 1999 to 2008.

So it accounted for modern scouting.

Goaltending is a crapshoot. Even scouts say the same thing. Not worth spending a high draft pick on one. Waste of a pick.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
The guy did it from either 1990 or 1999 to 2008.

So it accounted for modern scouting.

Goaltending is a crapshoot. Even scouts say the same thing. Not worth spending a high draft pick on one. Waste of a pick.

I suppose it's a matter of what you consider a 'high' draft pick. I wonder what the success rate of skaters are in the mid to late second round and third round. I'd consider it a bit if a crapshoot for all positions looking at our recent draft history.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Does anyone else think that Monahan would be the perfect center for Hall? Or would someone else be a better fit? It would be nice to have a couple duos for each line and then rotate the other guys around.

Hall-Monahan
RNH-Eberle

I wonder if Carolina would move down 2 spots if we did something like:

To Canes:
7th overall
Sam Gagner

To Oilers:
5th Overall
Jamie McBain

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Does anyone else think that Monahan would be the perfect center for Hall? Or would someone else be a better fit? It would be nice to have a couple duos for each line and then rotate the other guys around.

Hall-Monahan
RNH-Eberle
????-Yak
PRV-Lander

Gagner-Yak till it works, dammit!

I feel that Monahan might work better for Yakupov, but it might just be me.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything

Hall-Monahan
RNH-Eberle

I wonder if Carolina would move down 2 spots if we did something like:

To Canes:
7th overall
Sam Gagner

To Oilers:
5th Overall
Jamie McBain

I would consider that a pretty significant overpay on the Oilers' behalf.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I love my Dub guys but two American kids in Ian McCoshen and Tommy Vannelli sound awfully interesting in that 2nd round.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Lets also hope Frankie Musil has another guy stashed away in Europe for us like Marincin or Gernat.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm hoping that we don't go off the board with our 2nd round pick this year again. This draft is too deep to pass up on someone who could have easily been a 1st rounder. I'm hoping for any of;

- Shea Theodore (likely a reach)
- Mike McCarron (brother is in our organization already, but again maybe a reach)
- Justin Bailey
- J.T Compher
- Madison Bowey
- Samuel Morin
- John Hayden

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I'm hoping that we don't go off the board with our 2nd round pick this year again. This draft is too deep to pass up on someone who could have easily been a 1st rounder. I'm hoping for any of;

- Mike McCarron (brother is in our organization already, but again maybe a reach)
- Justin Bailey
- J.T Compher
- Madison Bowey
- Samuel Morin
- John Hayden

I would glady use both 2nd rounders to trade up into the first and pick Compher.
McCarron might have the potential to be a great player (size is a big factor for him), but right now Compher is better in every aspect of the game. A Ryan Callahan/Dustin Brown type player. A guy who can lead your offense while constantly getting under the skin of your opponent.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

- Justin Bailey
- J.T Compher
- Madison Bowey
- Samuel Morin
- John Hayden

I like all 3 prospects but they are all right wingers. I wonder if they would be okay with taking two forwards and a goalie in the first two rounds.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

- Justin Bailey
- J.T Compher
- Madison Bowey
- Samuel Morin
- John Hayden

McCarron or Hayden out of that group.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

- Justin Bailey
- J.T Compher
- Madison Bowey
- Samuel Morin
- John Hayden

Good looking list. Despite his small size, I'd also throw Petan in with those guys. If you can use a 2nd round pick on the guy that lead the draft class in scoring, its not a bad idea

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It'll be interesting to see of the Oilers spend another draft going straight to coke machines after the first round.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It'll be interesting to see of the Oilers spend another draft going straight to coke machines after the first round.

I hope so. Even if we don't get the next Lucic, with our cap structure going forward, we're going to need guys with cheap contracts that can step into the bottom 6 and be physical. The draft is the best way to do that.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I want Tristan Jerry with our other second, even if its a bit of a reach, our goalie depth is not good at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino