Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: DousedInOil's Annual Rankings Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Putting up my predicted draft order of the 1st 30 picks just so I can compare and see how far out I am compared to others here.

1 Nathan MacKinnon
2 Seth Jones
3 Jonathan Drouin
4 Valery Nichushkin
5 Aleksander Barkov
6 Elias Lindholm
7 Sean Monahan
8 Darnell Nurse
9 Nikita Zadorov
10 Rasmus Ristolainen
11 Bo Horvat
12 Alexander Wennberg
13 Max Domi
14 Hunter Shinkaruk
15 Curtis Lazar
16 Ryan Pulock
17 Anthony Mantha
18 Adam Erne
19 Joshua Morrissey
20 Frederik Gauthier
21 Valentin Zykov
22 Andre Burakowsky
23 Samuel Morin
24 Kerby Rychel
25 Zachary Fucale
26 Mirco Mueller
27 Morgan Klimchuk
28 Robert Hägg
29 Madison Bowey
30 Nicolas Petan

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly, I'm happy with whoever we draft.

I'm leaning towards Lindholm personally, but I won't be upset and jump off a cliff with who they draft.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I really like the Darnell Nurse interview on the Oiler's web-site he seems like a guy who would bring a lot of the right kind of character into the Oiler's dressing room, on top of being a solid punishing defenseman. Watching the Monahan interview, it seemed like Stauffer and Gregor were heavily signalling our interest in him.

Does anyone know if we brought in Lindholm for an interview or the Katz house tour? I thought we were just trying to keep our interest in him quiet, but I got to say they've been so quiet on him even I am starting to believe that we're not interested in him. :dunno:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think I'd be a tad upset if we drafted Nurse, simply because on my list he isn't the BPA, I tend to think he won't be much of an offensive weapon in his career and he won't play for us until he's 21 or 22, so it doesn't help us in the near future. I'd take Ristolainen over him actually.

Monahan I'd jump up and down.
Lindholm I'd be excited for, same for Nichushkin

if we traded down, it would depend on what return we get.

Barkov and I'd pass out.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think I'd be a tad upset if we drafted Nurse, simply because on my list he isn't the BPA, I tend to think he won't be much of an offensive weapon in his career and he won't play for us until he's 21 or 22, so it doesn't help us in the near future. I'd take Ristolainen over him actually.

Monahan I'd jump up and down.
Lindholm I'd be excited for, same for Nichushkin

if we traded down, it would depend on what return we get.

Barkov and I'd pass out.

Pretty much everything you said. Someone on our trade proposal board posted a picture of a bunch of the draft eligible prospects. This is now a second picture with his peers where I look at him in the shoulders and think a more talented version of Colten Teubert. He's not going to be more than 205 lbs. At 6'5, that's a string bean. His game will not translate well to the NHL.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So how does TSN's draft day coverage work? They are obviously showing the whole 1st round. Are they showing the rest of the rounds too?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I heard they're going all day. So every round. Hopefully the coverage of rounds 2-7 are actually good.

I hope so too.

I remember a couple years ago when I was watching it on NHL.com, they just kept rehashing stories/analysis of the 1st round picks and didn't even have a ticker for picks that were happening.

I eventually just got fed up and ended up following the live updated list on their site.

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
I hope so too.

I remember a couple years ago when I was watching it on NHL.com, they just kept rehashing stories/analysis of the 1st round picks and didn't even have a ticker for picks that were happening.

I eventually just got fed up and ended up following the live updated list on their site.
That was my experience with NHL network's coverage too. Frustrating. Crazy they didn't see the need for at least a ticker. Pretty bad when live coverage of an event actually forces you to go online to find the results.

Nic

Apr 30, 2004
I kinda think we take Lindholm if Monahan is gone. He agrees that center is a priority. And Lindholm could turn out be great, Zetterberg-lite. I'm just worried he turns out to be Gagner 2.0.

Gagner is not a bad centre. Never less than 40 points in a season except for the last, but if my math is correct he was on pace for 65 points if it was an 82 game season. I know he's not great defensively and in no way is he an elite player, but I don't think any of us should be surprised if he gets more than 60 points next season and maybe more than 70 the next. I'm just not convinced he has hit his ceiling.

Sloth Slothersons*

Gagner is not a bad centre. Never less than 40 points in a season except for the last, but if my math is correct he was on pace for 65 points if it was an 82 game season. I know he's not great defensively and in no way is he an elite player, but I don't think any of us should be surprised if he gets more than 60 points next season and maybe more than 70 the next. I'm just not convinced he has hit his ceiling.

If he hits over 60 then maybe I'll change my tune. But for now I would prefer a center than can win draws, puck battles, play a little physical, and be a two-way force. Obviously great two-way centers aren't easy to find, that's why I'm hoping we can draft one.

My realistic preferences in order are:

Monahan
Lindholm
Nich/Nurse

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Pretty much everything you said. Someone on our trade proposal board posted a picture of a bunch of the draft eligible prospects. This is now a second picture with his peers where I look at him in the shoulders and think a more talented version of Colten Teubert. He's not going to be more than 205 lbs. At 6'5, that's a string bean. His game will not translate well to the NHL.

The reason Teubert isn't in the NHL is due to his lack of mobility. Nurse on the other hand, mobility is probably his best asset. I don't see how you can make that comparison just because they like to punish people.

Karsa Orlong

Knight of chains
May 6, 2012
Edmonton
The reason Teubert isn't in the NHL is due to his lack of mobility. Nurse on the other hand, mobility is probably his best asset. I don't see how you can make that comparison just because they like to punish people.

I am definitely not an advocate for Teubert, but the bolded is way off.

Teubert is an above average skater, one of his strengths actually. He has poor positioning, and makes poor decisions. This is why he will never make it IMO.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta

I disagree. Nurse's skating and length will be is a huge asset for him. Extremely tough to get separation from him and almost impossible to go wide on him at the ohl level. He took big steps forward from last year to the beginning of this year and the beginning of this year to the end of the year. The kid keeps doing nothing but improving and improving. Incredible ceiling on him and that's why I think he is worth the risk to take a dman early. Also seeing more lists with Nurse being the top prospect from the ohl over Monahan.

Seems to be a great character guy too. Sounds great in interviews, won the scholastic player of the year and was an assistant captain as a 17 year old for the greyhounds.

Watch him take another big step next year and he captains the Soo as an 18 year old and becomes the man on defense with Sproul and Miller leaving.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
At #7...
Would be happy with Nichuskin
Would be happy with Monahan
Would be elated with Lindholm
Would be ecstatic with Barkov
Would be ho-hum about Nurse
Would be ho-hum with Ristolainen
Would be mildly disappointed with Lazar/Hovart.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Stu MacGregor just said via 630 Ched that there's two options if Edmonton stays at 7.

There's the name at 7 or the name they have in 1-6 who could drop to them.

EDIT: Actually it's possible Edmonton has Monahan at 5, Nurse at 6, Nichushkin at 7 on their list.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
At #7...
Would be happy with Nichuskin
Would be happy with Monahan
Would be elated with Lindholm
Would be ecstatic with Barkov
Would be ho-hum about Nurse
Would be ho-hum with Ristolainen
Would be mildly disappointed with Lazar/Hovart.

I'd be happy with Nich, Monahan or Lindholm. No way Barkov falls to 7. I'd be disappointed with anyone else that shoul;d be picked around #7.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
If I had to predict Edmonton's top 12, it's as follows:

1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Drouin
4. Barkov
5. Monahan
6. Nurse
7. Nichushkin
8. Horvat
9. Lindholm