Speculation: 2013-2014 Trade Speculation (All Players) | Part IV | KCD ain't gonna cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
What about Jamie Benn? Guy is locked down through 2017 and isn't outrageous in terms of cap hit (5.25). We've done business with Dallas before and they pretty much suck.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
What about Jamie Benn? Guy is locked down through 2017 and isn't outrageous in terms of cap hit (5.25). We've done business with Dallas before and they pretty much suck.

Niskanen and a 3rd for Jamie and Jordie?

penguins2946*

How do I put this lightly? There's no change in ****ing hell they move Benn. So yeah, not gonna happen.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
LOL. Niskanen and a 1st for Benn? Maybe throw in a prospect.

Benn-Crosby-Bennett
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis
Megna-Vitale-Adams

When healthy in the 2nd half and beyond?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Dallas has no reason whatsoever to move Benn. He and Seguin are the future of that franchise.

As for Jagr, even if he hadn't made an enemy of the Pens' organization, the Devils would ask for AT LEAST a first round pick in return for him. I don't think the Pens are in a position to give that up - they need to start drafting good forwards.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
if the Rossi article is at all accurate, this is all sort of moot, right?

Wasn't it all sort of moot BEFORE the Rossi article.

There are only 4 ways to leave the family:

1. Retirement
2. Asking out
3. Pricing yourself out
4. Being part of as big a no brainer trade as there possibly could be

Well, I suppose there technically is a 5th way . . . :sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Another Goligoski <-> Neal (Niskanen) or Whitney <-> Kunitz (Tangradi) type of trade would be awesome.

Joe Niewendyk no longer is a GM in the NHL OR Ray Shero no longer has the balls to trade one of his top four defensemen even if a younger guy is ready and able to step up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The problem is it's not a fair fight. Bennett will lose out to Dupuis and Jokinen because the man responsible for ice time will see to that.

Jags, Beau is 100X the better choice than Dupuis and 1000X the better choice than Jokinen for top six duty.

BUT, as I keep saying, to completely exploit the advantage of having Sid AND the Sid-Kunitz tandem RIGHT NOW, Sid needs the player Beau can be in 2-3 years (maybe 1 if ALL goes well) NOW.

On a properly constructed team (i.e., on where Sid has his Neal and Geno has his Kunitz and we eschew the Orpiks and Niskanens of this world for Despres and Maatta because, you know, it's not as if we haven't been drafting defensemen for ******* forever), Bennett is a third liner who is GROOMED for top six duty, playing primarily on a third line but also getting a fair number of shifts in the top six and even occasionally on the top PP. On a properly constructed team, Bennett is being GROOMED as Kunitz's replacement.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Jagr for the right price would be amazing...but only in the nostalgia realm. The only way I think a line would work with ol Jagsy is if you have a speedy winger on the other side and someone creative with some skill that could work with him. Thus,

Dupuis-Jokinen-Jagr

for the 3rd line could work if we could swing a couple more Top 6'ers.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Jokinen-Jagr
Megna-Vitale-Adams

But then again...Jagr-Malkin-Neal would be interesting to see.

Benn would be merely a pipe dream but I wonder if something around Letang + Despres + Bennett (or other d prospect) for Benn + Gogo would work. Obviously Gogo isn't working out for them and Gonchar is getting old. A replacement top pairing for their top tier winger on a good contract would be a worthy option to consider. On our end, we buy out Gogo.

Benn-Crosby-Winger/Kunitz
Kunitz/Winger-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis
Megna-Vitale-Adams

Martin-Orpik
Scuds-Maatta
Bortuzzo-Prospect

Obtaining Benn for a little chaos in the defense would be worth it to me.

Ryder. We had a chance to sign a much younger Ryder in 09 UFA and we passed. Can't imagine a regressed, older Ryder would appeal much to us to be honest.

After the Rossi article, true or not, here's were I'm at: there is no point in bringing in a Top 6 winger for Sid if prying Dupuis off that line is that difficult. Sad but its like watching a 18 yo kid made the mistake because he insists he's right. At this point, Sid's a big boy and if thats how he wants it, so be it. I just won't have any sympathy when he's 35-40 yo and he has 1 Cup to his name...much like Lemieux did.

Nothing is going to change unless one of the following happens:
1. Byslma is fired and the new coach comes in and has his way with the lines. In this event, Shero and in turn, Lemieux has to support the coach.
2. Dupuis plays so terrible it forces Sid, and in turn Bylsma, to accept a new RW.
3. Dupuis is part of a trade package that brings a winger back, ala Armstrong-Hossa trade. Sid has no option then. This situation I fear would never happen because as the franchise God for the next 15 years, Sid has too much influence on roster personnel. Can't say for sure but I'd bet my bottom dollar that if/when discussions come up about new Top 6 winger candidates/targets, the "Crosby likes Dupuis/they are friends" fact is brought up frequently and becomes a relatively major factor." This only changes with a coaching change, a major trade, or Shero/Lemieux (not Bylsma obviously) sitting down with Sid to all but force the change.

No point in targeting a winger for him if he doesn't. Thus, we need to focus on Malkin's Kunitz and a 3rd liner. I also think a major decision needs to be made on Sutter. In my eyes, he shouldn't be our 3C moving forward unless we bring in a kick ass, long term 3rd line winger. Our 3rd line is an absolute joke. It merely exists and only serves to not get scored on while Sid and Geno catch their breath. No person on that line can do anything themselves. When Staal was there, you could lean on him. When it was Cooke and Kennedy, you could lean on them if Staal when Staal was out. Right now, its a mess. Sutter is not the 3C we need if our winger situation doesn't improve. With that, I don't think he makes a good 4C either and I don't want to move Vitale. So that leads to another problem. Not gonna lie...Sutter+Dman+1st/2nd could bring back a nice Top 6 winger. I've highly advocated bringing Ott in as I believe he brings everything to the table to our 3rd line is missing. Mean, grit, faceoffs, some skill...pair him with Jokinen and Dupuis (Sutter+Dman+pick for a winger that sends Dupuis down) and you have a heck of a 3rd line.

My trade target list would be:
Ott
Kulemin (these two guys should be our top targets, IMHO)
Eberle (if you want a major trade)
Palmieri
Greening
Clifford
Kassian
Stewart
Tlusty if we could pull off a 1:1 with Sutter and bring in Ott
McGinn
McLeod
Nyquist (looooooong shot, but I love this guy and the way he plays...which is why he's a long shot)

But...again...none of this matters unless you get a coach that gets a clue first.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
if the Rossi article is at all accurate, this is all sort of moot, right?

Yep, except the Rossi article never said Dupers has played both the left side and right side with no issue, and Kunitz was already with Malkin and Neal as the best line in hockey the year before......

WHY IN THE ****...

They didn't discuss moving Dupuis to first line LW with Iginla as first line RW, Kunitz back with Malkin and Neal.

No issues there unless we have some real dopes in the Pens organization that couldn't have figured that one out. It's not ****ing rocket science.

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal (Best line in hockey the year before)
Cooke - Sutter - Morrow
Adams - Adams - Bylsma's lover Adams

Last edited:

darkbrew*

Is everyone in here high? Benn is not available in the least. We have to aim for a kunitz level option, someone who hasn't reached their full potential that can be had for a first+a good roster player like Orpik.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Is everyone in here high? Benn is not available in the least. We have to aim for a kunitz level option, someone who hasn't reached their full potential that can be had for a first+a good roster player like Orpik.

one person mentioned it. a few people made joke sarcastic responses. the first guy took them seriously.

we aren't getting Benn unless Sid or Geno is going the other way. Nobody else on our roster could even get them listening.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You know what would be the best way to maximize both Dupuis and Sutter?

Dupuis-Sutter-Jagr

I'd like our Cup chances if that turned into our third line. Jagr is playing with a Sutter clone right now in Zajac, and I do believe Jagr played very briefly in New York with Dupuis.

If this were to happen, nobody would have a problem with Dupuis anymore. Nobody would have a problem with Sutter anymore, and nobody would have any problems anymore with Jagr.

The Redemption Line?

Dare to dream.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
We're a Nisky trade and coaching change from having the best top 9 in the league:

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett/Trade
Bennett/Trade - Malkin - Neal
Jokinen/Menga - Sutter - Dupuis

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

LMFAO. Niewendyk or Milbury aren't the GM's there. They aren't trading Benn.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Dupuis-Sutter-Jagr

I'd like our Cup chances if that turned into our third line. Jagr is playing with a Sutter clone right now in Zajac, and I do believe Jagr played very briefly in New York with Dupuis.

If this were to happen, nobody would have a problem with Dupuis anymore. Nobody would have a problem with Sutter anymore, and nobody would have any problems anymore with Jagr.

The Redemption Line?

Dare to dream.

shawshank_redemption_4.jpg

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Dupuis-Sutter-Jagr

The Redemption Line?

Dare to dream.

I always thought that Jagr with Geno could've been really interesting in terms of puck possession and the give and go's, etc. I suspect that was the plan (with Neal to play with Sid and Kunitz), which is why Shero prioritized Tyler Kennedy in his budgeting. After all, if Jagr were targeted to play with Sid, then Shero would've gone to 3M.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We're a Nisky trade and coaching change from having the best top 9 in the league:

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett/Trade
Bennett/Trade - Malkin - Neal
Jokinen/Menga - Sutter - Dupuis

That wouldn't be the best top nine in the league. It would be the top nine with the two best players in the league.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
This team is ****ing soff. After the **** that happened to Orpik tonight, I don't give a **** who we have to trade. We need a Rick Tocchet type of player on this team.

Get Zack Kassian asap.

Here we go again. If that Islanders game didn't teach this organization **** maybe this will. ****ing sickening and I'm tired of our team being soff.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
This team is ****ing soff. After the **** that happened to Orpik tonight, I don't give a **** who we have to trade. We need a Rick Tocchet type of player on this team.

Get Zack Kassian asap.

Here we go again. If that Islanders game didn't teach this organization **** maybe this will. ****ing sickening and I'm tired of our team being soff.

Kassian is just hanging with Sestito on the 4th line so I'm sure Gillis would be open to a trade. It's just gonna look bad if the return isn't something decent based on the Hodgeson trade

If we could grab ott, Sutter for kassian makes a lot of sense for both teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad