Speculation: 2013-2014 Trade Speculation (All Players) | Part IV | KCD ain't gonna cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This team needs to make a move up front. That's where I'm at with it. We aren't hard enough to play against. And Sid has struggled mightily at ES.

If we're looking for Sid's longterm winger, I think you're all kidding yourselves if you aren't willing to part with Despres. Maybe there's a miracle deal out there where we buy low and he works out, but I'm not seeing it.

Nisky gets you a 2nd at most. Orpik for Kule makes some sense. Beyond that, it's Despres as our trade piece this season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't really like saying this but I hope Dupuis continues to struggle so Shero and Bylsma understand that he is not an ideal solution for Sid's RW.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Is this like last year when everyone had us trading Maatta? Thank god Shero didn't do it, and I hope he does'nt do it with Depres either. If the trigger gets pulled, it's highly unlikely we get full value for Simon's ridiculous upside....

I don't like it. No sir I don't like it at all.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
The cap falling this year really handicaps us from making any moves. Shero will probably wait till after the olympics, what the injuries look like with guys like Bennett/Scuderi and see what's going on with Vokoun before he can decide if he has any cap space to do anything.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The cap falling this year really handicaps us from making any moves. Shero will probably wait till after the olympics, what the injuries look like with guys like Bennett/Scuderi and see what's going on with Vokoun before he can decide if he has any cap space to do anything.

When Scuds and Martin get healthy, we aren't going to have much of a choice. We aren't going to carry 9 d-men.

Is this like last year when everyone had us trading Maatta? Thank god Shero didn't do it, and I hope he does'nt do it with Depres either. If the trigger gets pulled, it's highly unlikely we get full value for Simon's ridiculous upside....

I don't like it. No sir I don't like it at all.

That's where I'm at. Right now, he hasn't played in the NHL enough to have much higher value than he did when we were speculating trades for forward prospects for him. He is playing better hockey than his trade value will bring back right now. Same with Maatta. This would be a bad time to trade either. A year from now both will be much more valuable than they are right now.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
This team needs to make a move up front. That's where I'm at with it. We aren't hard enough to play against. And Sid has struggled mightily at ES.

If we're looking for Sid's longterm winger, I think you're all kidding yourselves if you aren't willing to part with Despres. Maybe there's a miracle deal out there where we buy low and he works out, but I'm not seeing it.

Nisky gets you a 2nd at most. Orpik for Kule makes some sense. Beyond that, it's Despres as our trade piece this season.

Letang is the only guy that can get us a top line winger outside of free agency. Maybe Sutter + gets a decent winger with the right trading partner but thats not really a good option

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
For me, trading Simon Despres now is a complete and total admission of failure that the 'plan' (whatever it was) last summer did not work out.

Also, if we're looking for a winger we can build with, he's going to be expensive in terms of cap hit (either right away, or eventually). We need Despres more than guys like Orpik and/or Niskanen.

Lastly, he finally looks like a finished product. A building block. I wouldn't trade him now.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Not in favor of trading any D-prospects right now.

When healthy, theres in house options to give the top 6 different looks.
Bennett, Megna, Joe Vitale even.

Trading Orpik, Niskanen or bad contracts like Letang and to a lesser extent Dupuis?
I'm all for it.

If Fleury lays another egg in the playoffs, he becomes another a trade option as well.

This year, they should tough it out. I prefer finding bottom 6 help without moving any D-prospects and the coach smartening up and playing players in better positions.

Team doesn't win the Cup? Oh well, shed some salary and go after free agents. Move up in the draft to land high end winger prospects.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think Niskanen is going to be traded for a third liner. Orpik for Kulemin makes SOME sense, but I think the writing is on the wall for Niskanen.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
With the way that Vanek has performed according to Isles fans and others, would people want to trade for him at the deadline or go for it in FA.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
With the way that Vanek has performed according to Isles fans and others, would people want to trade for him at the deadline or go for it in FA.

Neither. Injuries seem to have slowed him down quite a bit.
With the money he's going to be asking for, not worth it.
And trying to land him at the deadline for a Cup run this year would cost too much.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Not in favor of trading any D-prospects right now.

When healthy, theres in house options to give the top 6 different looks.
Bennett, Megna, Joe Vitale even.

Trading Orpik, Niskanen or bad contracts like Letang and to a lesser extent Dupuis?
I'm all for it.

If Fleury lays another egg in the playoffs, he becomes another a trade option as well.

This year, they should tough it out. I prefer finding bottom 6 help without moving any D-prospects and the coach smartening up and playing players in better positions.

Team doesn't win the Cup? Oh well, shed some salary and go after free agents. Move up in the draft to land high end winger prospects.

Eventually you have to move D prospects. We have Letang, Pouliot, Maatta, Despres, Dumouilin, Harrington, Bort. That's 7 young Dmen right there. We won't have room for them all even if we trade away everyone over the age of 28. I'd be fine with trading one if it helped to get us back a good, young, top 6 option. I have a feeling Orpik and Niskanen just aren't going to get this team back much other than draft picks.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't want to pay a premium for another rental band aid.

I also have enough doubts about Vanek's game going forward that I wouldn't want to invest in him long-term. He already doesn't have the speed to keep up with Sid imo and it's only going to get worse since he's on the wrong side of 30.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Eventually you have to move D prospects. We have Letang, Pouliot, Maatta, Despres, Dumouilin, Harrington, Bort. That's 7 young Dmen right there. We won't have room for them all even if we trade away everyone over the age of 28. I'd be fine with trading one if it helped to get us back a good, young, top 6 option. I have a feeling Orpik and Niskanen just aren't going to get this team back much other than draft picks.

Out of those Maatta and Despres will be up next year. Bortuzzo =/= Dumolin and Harrington and Pouliot will need another season before coming up I'd guess. Can see this next year;

Martin-Scuderi
Despres-Letang
Maatta-Bortuzzo
Dumolin.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

I don't consider Letang a prospect.
I'd rather move Letang and keep a guy like Pouliot who could be the future PPQB here.

In terms of D-Prospects that could bring something back, the only ones that would probably do that are Maata, Despres, Pouliot and maybe Harrington. Those are the guys i don't want moved. Everyone else, i'm fine with if they get you something.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't want to pay a premium for another rental band aid.

I also have enough doubts about Vanek's game going forward that I wouldn't want to invest in him long-term. He already doesn't have the speed to keep up with Sid imo and it's only going to get worse since he's on the wrong side of 30.

Second time I've heard this. The guy is 29 years old, not 39. He will be 30 next month. As for his lack of speed? Guerin was slow yet him and Crosby were great together before he fell apart from old age.

penguins2946*

If we're going to trade for a rental band-aid, I'd want a natural RW coming back. We aren't going to take Kunitz off Crosby's line. There's not a lot of RW rentals, but there are a few:

Jagr
Hemsky
Setoguchi
Boyes
Stempniak
Gaborik
Bouchard

Gaborik is probably out of our price range, but the others are possible. Not much there.

Edit: Ryder is a possibility as well. He's signed for $3.5 million for next year as well though. I'd be quite okay with trading for him and have him play with Sid for the next 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Second time I've heard this. The guy is 29 years old, not 39. He will be 30 next month. As for his lack of speed? Guerin was slow yet him and Crosby were great together before he fell apart from old age.

Guerin was almost always a better skater than Vanek. I believe Billy G. even won fastest skater at the all star game in his prime. He obviously slowed down by the time he got here but I doubt he was ever Vanek slow except for maybe his final season here when we all wanted him gone anyway. Vanek has never been fleet of foot and that's just going to keep getting worse going forward. He's a risky signing for this team if the plan is to play him with Sid.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I don't consider Letang a prospect.
I'd rather move Letang and keep a guy like Pouliot who could be the future PPQB here.

In terms of D-Prospects that could bring something back, the only ones that would probably do that are Maata, Despres, Pouliot and maybe Harrington. Those are the guys i don't want moved. Everyone else, i'm fine with if they get you something.

I don't consider Letang one either, more making a point that we have a ton of young guys, and even if we slowly replace everyone older with our prospects, we're going to run out of room. And I didn't include people like Ruopp or Samuelsson who might surprise people as a good bottom pairing guy. This is a good problem though, we are simply loaded at D.

YeeYee

Mar 3, 2011
Illinois
Out of those Maatta and Despres will be up next year. Bortuzzo =/= Dumolin and Harrington and Pouliot will need another season before coming up I'd guess. Can see this next year;

Martin-Scuderi
Despres-Letang
Maatta-Bortuzzo
Dumolin.

next year Doumolin will be better off in WBS then in the press box, and him and Harrington will be first call ups.it really starts getting interesting next year, they cant let orpik and niskanen finish out the year hear, I suspect orpik to stay around for the cup run then to walk, maybe trade his rights for a pick in offseason. but niskanen has to be moved to get whatever we can out of him, no need to let them both walk without getting anything back. but its time to start moving some people this year. and what is done with Martin? if they resign him that's half the D signed long term with 3 spots for like 6 people that will be ready at that point. numbers just don't add up. after this year we cant trade letang, and scuderi has a NMC also I think. Its going to be a sad day when Bort gets put in waivers next year.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
If we're going to trade for a rental band-aid, I'd want a natural RW coming back. We aren't going to take Kunitz off Crosby's line. There's not a lot of RW rentals, but there are a few:

Jagr
Hemsky
Setoguchi
Boyes
Stempniak
Gaborik
Bouchard

Gaborik is probably out of our price range, but the others are possible. Not much there.

Edit: Ryder is a possibility as well. He's signed for $3.5 million for next year as well though. I'd be quite okay with trading for him and have him play with Sid for the next 2 years.

Bennett is better than pretty much every single one of those players you mentioned. The only exception would be Gaborik, and he wouldn't upgrade Sid's line enough that it would be worth it to make the deal.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For me, trading Simon Despres now is a complete and total admission of failure that the 'plan' (whatever it was) last summer did not work out.

Also, if we're looking for a winger we can build with, he's going to be expensive in terms of cap hit (either right away, or eventually). We need Despres more than guys like Orpik and/or Niskanen.

Lastly, he finally looks like a finished product. A building block. I wouldn't trade him now.

I'd be ok with trading him for a real long term solution. Right now, I don't think he has that kind of value. Basically, right now he has shown what he can become, but not for long enough to get the return I'd want if we trade him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Bennett is better than pretty much every single one of those players you mentioned. The only exception would be Gaborik, and he wouldn't upgrade Sid's line enough that it would be worth it to make the deal.

I disagree. I love Bennett, but he is not better than the majority of those players. He will be some day. That day isn't today. He's probably on par with most of those guys. Behind just as many as he's ahead of.

Keep in mind we can still use Bennett with Geno and Neal. Or put Kunitz with Geno and Bennett with Sid and the new guy or the new guy with Geno and Neal, depending on how they fit in. Either way, we should be looking for two forward upgrades to replace Dupuis and Jokinen. Bennett can't be both of them.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
if the Rossi article is at all accurate, this is all sort of moot, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig