Speculation: 2013-2014 Trade Speculation (All Players) | Part IV | KCD ain't gonna cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't want a rental either. But if we get a rental, I don't think Bennett even needs to be considered. Bennett should push one of Jussi and Duper out of the top 6 when he's healthy. The question for the rental is whether he could push the other out of the top 6. Bennett can play in either vacated top 6 spot, so position for the rental is somewhat flexible.

The problem is it's not a fair fight. Bennett will lose out to Dupuis and Jokinen because the man responsible for ice time will see to that.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The problem is it's not a fair fight. Bennett will lose out to Dupuis and Jokinen because the man responsible for ice time will see to that.

I get that and I agree. I'm talking about a team with some hypothetical coach that knows what he's doing.

Bennett was with Sid when he got hurt. There's some level of hope there. Not much, but a little.

penguins2946*

I'm guessing that a lot if people here were on board with Tangradi was a top-9 F and only wasn't producing because he wasn't playing in the top-9. Is that accurate?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Ok, anyone who knows my posts knows I am 100% for replacing duper on the 1st line with a legit offensive threat... and we absolutely need to move a defenseman, but with our cap position right now, and the fact we are looking at an overpayment for the kind of guy we want, Id rather them not loose a potential great asset, particularly for a rental. Make a trade for an asset that can be traded in the offseason, and when the cap rises either pursue a top 6 guy in FA or through a legit hockey trade. there are a handful of high risk high reward prospects that might be ready for this role in a year or two, so if we can limp through this year with a Bennett or megna contributing, that would be better than losing a Despres or Maatta for a rental. Move Orps or Nisky for a Pick or a legit 2nd/3rd tweener forward, a guy with some scoring potential but some grit too..

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm guessing that a lot if people here were on board with Tangradi was a top-9 F and only wasn't producing because he wasn't playing in the top-9. Is that accurate?

digging-a-hole-fig2.jpg

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't want a rental either. But if we get a rental, I don't think Bennett even needs to be considered. Bennett should push one of Jussi and Duper out of the top 6 when he's healthy. The question for the rental is whether he could push the other out of the top 6. Bennett can play in either vacated top 6 spot, so position for the rental is somewhat flexible.

Yeah that's fine for me, but I don't think that's what the original post I responded to was saying.

If you don't see the difference between Bennett and Tangradi, then any conversation with you about Bennett is pointless.

penguins2946*

If you don't see the difference between Bennett and Tangradi, then any conversation with you about Bennett is pointless.

The only way I'm comparing Bennett to Tangradi is that people complained about their misuse as a reason for a lack of their production. That is more true with Bennett than it is with Tangradi though.

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Other than Gaborik, which of those players do you think would fit better than Bennett on the first line?

Jagr is slow and fell apart at the end of 48 game season. I highly doubt he'll be able to keep up a strong level of play for 82 games and playoffs.

Hemsky has similar skills to Bennett except he's worse along the boards and less physical.

Seto has a better shot, but won't really help the whole "creating on their own" issue with Sid's wings. Plus Seto is known to be streaky and sometimes lazy, and Bennett is better defensively than he is.

I've never been high on Boyes, personally. He gets pushed off the puck way too easily and also struggles winning battles.

Stempniak there's an argument for, but he's incredibly inconsistent and I can see him frustrating us very quickly.

Bouchard has not looked good with the Islanders at all this season. His strengths are playmaking, and I don't really believe that he can do anything Bennett can't.

Ryder is old, I don't want to be locked in for another year of him, and one of his biggest criticisms is that he doesn't use his linemates well. He's not the best skater or playmaker either.

I'm not the biggest fan of Jagr, but he played 101 games last season, not only 48.

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
well that's just plain not true.

34 games for Kladno in Czech league (where he played a lot of minutes), 34 games for Dallas, 11 for Bruins in regular season and another 22 games in playoffs

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
I don't want to pay a premium for another rental band aid.

I also have enough doubts about Vanek's game going forward that I wouldn't want to invest in him long-term. He already doesn't have the speed to keep up with Sid imo and it's only going to get worse since he's on the wrong side of 30.

Very true. Although, I think that if Pascal Dupuis could get a few good years of stats with Sid, anyone can. We could attribute Vanek's struggling game in New York as exactly that, struggling on an Islanders team. However, I can't say I that I don't immediately agree with you when watching the Islanders play. I try to just envision players and how they would fit in on our roster.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Very true. Although, I think that if Pascal Dupuis could get a few good years of stats with Sid, anyone can. We could attribute Vanek's struggling game in New York as exactly that, struggling on an Islanders team. However, I can't say I that I don't immediately agree with you when watching the Islanders play. I try to just envision players and how they would fit in on our roster.

With any other coach, this would be true.

penguins2946*

You also gotta remember that Jagr is one of the best conditioned players in the NHL right now. I don't think it will be an issue with his wheels falling off. My concern would be that I'm not sure Sid and Jagr would mesh well.

I just don't think the Pens would even entertain trading for Jagr though, so it's a moot point. While he's one of the best options out there, he's not the best. I think the Pens would rather get a worse player than trade for Jagr because of everything.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Equating Tangradi to Bennett couldn't be more fatuous. Tangradi never showed ANYTHING good in the NHL. Bennett does so many skill things better than basically every forward on this team not numbered 87 or 71. He still is a bit rough around the edges and needs work, yes, but if you can't see Bennett's skill and smarts, you're blind. Injuries are by far the biggest thing handicapping his game right now. If he can get past them, he'll turn out.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm still a Tangradi fan, and still believe he can become a quality bottom sixer in the NHL...but yeah, it's apples to oranges comparing him to Beau Diddly Ice Time.

penguins2946*

Equating Tangradi to Bennett couldn't be more fatuous. Tangradi never showed ANYTHING good in the NHL. Bennett does so many skill things better than basically every forward on this team not numbered 87 or 71. He still is a bit rough around the edges and needs work, yes, but if you can't see Bennett's skill and smarts, you're blind. Injuries are by far the biggest thing handicapping his game right now. If he can get past them, he'll turn out.

The only way I'm comparing Bennett to Tangradi is that people complained about their misuse as a reason for a lack of their production. That is more true with Bennett than it is with Tangradi though.

I already addressed that.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'm not the biggest fan of Jagr, but he played 101 games last season, not only 48.

Regardless, he didn't score for the last 24 games he played. So he fell apart after 77. Doesn't make me feel any more confident in him being able to still perform in the playoffs, plus he's another year older.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
For the top-6 wingers produce regardless of ice time and linemates, someone tell me the story of James Neal on the Penguins pre-Malkin/Crosby. Thanks.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For the top-6 wingers produce regardless of ice time and linemates, someone tell me the story of James Neal on the Penguins pre-Malkin/Crosby. Thanks.

He got hit on the head on the plane ride here and completely forgot how to score for 2 months. Then his brain healed over the summer and he became a top 6 forward again. Duh.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
With the way that Vanek has performed according to Isles fans and others, would people want to trade for him at the deadline or go for it in FA.

Neither. He's either wearing down or going into operation shutdown on Long Island. Either is cause for concern at his expected price tag.

There were people saying he was a first line forward a week or so before being traded, but that was not a majority opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad