Speculation: 2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
Phoenix is scouting at the MIN/WPG game today. Do you guys happen to know if the Jets are scouting you?

No idea if they are scouting us, but it has been a few scouts attending our games. Any team looking for NHL defensemen or prospects SHOULD scout us. I know I sure would like to take Setoguchi of Winnipegs hands ;)

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Phoenix is scouting at the MIN/WPG game today. Do you guys happen to know if the Jets are scouting you?

Considering the last three teams the Jets have played, including Minnesota, are all teams we play in the next week and a half I wouldn't read much into the Yotes having scouts up there right now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Gormley will be a 22+min/gm NHL defenseman that's valuable to both the PP and PK.

Tom Wilson will be a more handsome version of Chris Neil.

1st pairing D for 4th line W doesn't work for me.

rt

May 13, 2004
No idea if they are scouting us, but it has been a few scouts attending our games. Any team looking for NHL defensemen or prospects SHOULD scout us. I know I sure would like to take Setoguchi of Winnipegs hands ;)

I tried to scout Seto the other day. Watched him against Chicago. He played ten minutes or less. I don't think he had a shift in the third. They give him Biznasty ice time.

rt

May 13, 2004
from my uderstanding is that his upside mimics Doan.

If Wilson has more than one 20 goal season, I will eat my hat.

I'd bet money that at the end of their NHL careers, Gormley will have the higher points per game percentage.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have to have Wilson. His physical game is awesome. He was an absolute beast in juniors. He's not slowing down in the NHL, either. Kid is a monster. That said, even with all of those physical gifts, and playing against boys, he was still never dominant offensively.

Chris Neil was a very unique and valuable player for Ottawa for years. I see Wilson as a clone.

Doan dominated juniors and it was obvious from the start that he was extraordinarily talented. Wilson is no Doan.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tom Wilson will be a more handsome version of Chris Neil.

Chris Neil is a very valuable player roster wise. I'd easily trade one of Brown or Lessio for Wilson, throw in a D like Schlemko.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
I tried to scout Seto the other day. Watched him against Chicago. He played ten minutes or less. I don't think he had a shift in the third. They give him Biznasty ice time.

Exactly. He has low value right now and should come cheap. And we all know what a pain in the ass he can be since his days with the sharks. I believe he would be a good triggerman playing RW with Ribs.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He would at least bring a different element to the bottom six. I wouldnt mind him at all.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Not technically roster talk but, Friedman on CBC just said Buffalo may ask permission to interview Treliving for their GM position.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not technically roster talk but, Friedman on CBC just said Buffalo may ask permission to interview Treliving for their GM position.

They hope he knows Maloney's secret sauce recipe. I'd be more worried about a team hiring away Playfair.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Just a random question for you guys since I don't visit this thread a lot (read it sometimes but don't really post).

Of our 9 defensemen on one-way contracts? Which do you guys think is most "expendable" so to speak? Not really sure how to put it any better than that way of saying it.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think we are still at the same place on that as 3 months ago. Klesla if you need the money freed up or Schlemko just on performance/potential.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

They hope he knows Maloney's secret sauce recipe. I'd be more worried about a team hiring away Playfair.

I like Treliving, but it would be cool to have an allegiance with another General Manager in the league. Maybe some lopsided trades in our favor from Buffalo, if Buffalo hires him :sarcasm:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
As a Jets and Coyotes fan I can say with certainty that Frolik is a better target than Setoguchi. Gooch gets 2nd line RW minutes with Kane while Frolik gets 3rd line RW minutes with Scheifele, but Frolik is more consistent with his production, is better defensively and is an incredibly smart and effective player. Gooch can be exciting to watch because he can really rip it, when he's feeling confident, but that isn't often enough. Frolik might be tougher to acquire though because he is a childhood friend of Ondrej Pavelec and Pav happens to be playing the best hockey of his career since Frolik was brought in.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
As a Jets and Coyotes fan I can say with certainty that Frolik is a better target than Setoguchi. Gooch gets 2nd line RW minutes with Kane while Frolik gets 3rd line RW minutes with Scheifele, but Frolik is more consistent with his production, is better defensively and is an incredibly smart and effective player. Gooch can be exciting to watch because he can really rip it, when he's feeling confident, but that isn't often enough. Frolik might be tougher to acquire though because he is a childhood friend of Ondrej Pavelec and Pav happens to be playing the best hockey of his career since Frolik was brought in.

Frolik did a great job on the PK as well for Chicago last season. Something we're not so good at this year. I probably prefer him to Gooch but I would welcome either depending on the price.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, although I've been a proponent of getting Seto, I'm warming up to trading for Frolik as well. He's quite a bit better in the defensive zone while still having offensive skill, even if he hasn't broken 10 goals since his back-to-back 20 goal seasons with Florida.

He's also due 1M less than Seto for this year.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

He's an enigma for sure but he can contribute to this team. I still contend they're gonna need a guy who can score in streaks and brings some abrasiveness to the table. If that's the best they can do though, it wouldn't be the worse thing.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If you want to free up money, Michalek @ $4mil.
I would prefer the 'Yotes to re-sign Klesla and Morris (for a hometown discount) and trade Z during the off-season.

I wouldn't trade Michalek at all. He settles things down on the back end and he's exactly what every team looks for in the playoffs.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Does anyone else like Connolly from Tampa? He just got sent down again and I think the time is ripe for us to get in and have a shot at getting him. Tampa has got other bodies ready for the show and Connolly looks to be the odd man out on offense while we've got Rundblad who looks to be the odd man out for us on defense.

I think the trade makes perfect sense, and especially since Connolly hasn't performed well yet in the NHL, it might just be a straight swap with little more than a 3rd or 4th round draft choice going with it...sorta of the reversal on Turris.

It's a body count in Tampa. Yzerman still talks in glowing terms about him. I really don't think they're gonna move him.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like an Erat trade is just a matter of time at this point, and assuming he'd want to play here, I think he'd be a great fit. He's still due another $2.65 million this year and then $2.25 next year, so they may need to clear some salary to fit him in the internal budget, but that's pretty good value if he can produce (and penciling him onto the Czech line, that seems like a given).

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I wouldn't trade Michalek at all. He settles things down on the back end and he's exactly what every team looks for in the playoffs.

actually that's the argument I use for keeping Klesla.
Sounds like an Erat trade is just a matter of time at this point, and assuming he'd want to play here, I think he'd be a great fit. He's still due another $2.65 million this year and then $2.25 next year, so they may need to clear some salary to fit him in the internal budget, but that's pretty good value if he can produce (and penciling him onto the Czech line, that seems like a given).
That $2.25 looks mighty enticing. It would go a long way in helping with re-signing Vrbata for next season.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm interested in Erat, but not interested in overpaying for a player that has no goals this season (not entirely his fault, based on TOI).

I'd try to center a deal around Dave Moss, rather than one of our D. With Moss, the Caps pick up an expiring contract and the Yotes take on another year of Erat. Not saying a 1-for-1 swap, but I'd try to make these the primary pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad