Speculation: 2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
They have a lot of players I'd be very interested in adding. Gaborik is probably a longshot despite reportedly being available, but Dubinsky, Foligno, Atkinson, Umberger and even Horton and Anisimov would all be terrific additions to the Coyotes. What worries me most, though, is their GM, who doesn't have a huge track record in that position but has a phenomenal reputation as a talent evaluator. To be frank, I'd much prefer Maloney deal with a less competent GM (and there are plenty).

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I disagree, we don't need a big D man. Who in our top 4 D would a bigger D man replace. Not the puck movers, Yandle and OEL, not DMO, he is physical, and not Z, great compliment to OEL and great shot blocker. At number 5, we have Klesla when he is healthy and now likely Stone at 6 with 6 goals. Our D men are fine, no glaring weakness. I think it is a team problem on D, not an individual talent problem. I also think it is more of a forward problem. Our forwards turn the puck over too much at the blue line or neutral zone and because of it, they don't get the forecheck going as much. I had rather see safer dump and chase play if they can't carry the puck in, rather then turnovers, get the forecheck going, have the other team with there backs turned, rely on turnovers to generate more chances. I also think the forwards are out of position sometimes when we break out of our own zone. It got better against Tampa Bay. The D do turn it over but sometimes it is the forward fault, D are left hanging. I just think it is a team D, break out/puck control/forecheck process that has pieces not working yet and we get sustained pressure against us. There have not been a ton of odd man rushes, that is not the problem.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
2nd for Vermette was a highway robbery, that's for sure.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
So Columbus isn't looking too hot.

I admittedly do not follow the team much, nor do I know the value on many of their players. But I know we have made some scandalous trades with them in the past and I wonder if some prospects and Schlemko could go a long way there. Thoughts?

Howson is no longer GM there, so unfortunately I don't think Maloney will be able to fleece the Jackets in the future, hehe. Also, their blueline is also a strength like ours, so I'm not sure if there's a trade to be made unless they decided to sell low on one of their veteran forwards.

Gabs of course would be a good get, but we can't afford his salary and it's all but assured that we're going to have to pony up at least a 1st for him.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Howson is no longer GM there, so unfortunately I don't think Maloney will be able to fleece the Jackets in the future, hehe. Also, their blueline is also a strength like ours, so I'm not sure if there's a trade to be made unless they decided to sell low on one of their veteran forwards.

Gabs of course would be a good get, but we can't afford his salary and it's all but assured that we're going to have to pony up at least a 1st for him.

Pretty much this. The Jackets have a lot of depth at defense, and Jarmo Kekalainen doesn't seem like a GM who will overpay to acquire talent.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think the Oilers are a good trading partner because we won't get fleeced, but they might. Look at the Barbs signing, the way over pay for Gordon, the Smid trade, now the Bryz signing...They have a few forwards I would like for the right price, Hemsky/Eberle, who knows what could be done...

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I think the Oilers are a good trading partner because we won't get fleeced, but they might. Look at the Barbs signing, the way over pay for Gordon, the Smid trade, now the Bryz signing...They have a few forwards I would like for the right price, Hemsky/Eberle, who knows what could be done...

Maloney probably won't want to trade assets to a division rival. Same goes for the Oilers.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
So on McLellan's weekly live chat, she indicated that there's no trade buzz right now.. Yotes are content in using every bit of their defensive depth for match-up purposes. PK and defensive lapses are just an issue of getting healthier and coaching/executing the system, not personnel.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I'm not surprised. Our blueline has also been perpetually injured and we're scoring plenty without that top 6 winger. Right now we're in a situation that's the exact opposite of what many of us expected to be in at the start of the season. GMDM is probably going to wait until the deadline to make any deals.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I disagree, we don't need a big D man. Who in our top 4 D would a bigger D man replace. Not the puck movers, Yandle and OEL, not DMO, he is physical, and not Z, great compliment to OEL and great shot blocker. At number 5, we have Klesla when he is healthy and now likely Stone at 6 with 6 goals. Our D men are fine, no glaring weakness. I think it is a team problem on D, not an individual talent problem. I also think it is more of a forward problem. Our forwards turn the puck over too much at the blue line or neutral zone and because of it, they don't get the forecheck going as much. I had rather see safer dump and chase play if they can't carry the puck in, rather then turnovers, get the forecheck going, have the other team with there backs turned, rely on turnovers to generate more chances. I also think the forwards are out of position sometimes when we break out of our own zone. It got better against Tampa Bay. The D do turn it over but sometimes it is the forward fault, D are left hanging. I just think it is a team D, break out/puck control/forecheck process that has pieces not working yet and we get sustained pressure against us. There have not been a ton of odd man rushes, that is not the problem.

With all due respect, I disagree regarding a physical D-man. Most of your other points are correct, though.

This is why I mentioned that Murphy moved into my top 6 - for the first time in a while, I saw a defenseman actually clear someone out from between the circles, rather than give little shoves that don't really take the man out of his position. It could be due to Klesla's, Michalek's, and Morris's injuries, but while we have stay-at-home D-men, we don't have the same levels of physicality that have been seen in previous seasons.

There have been a few odd man rushes against, but I think that sells the point that if it is not an odd-man rush that's causing this, then our 5-on-5 play is clearly lacking on the defensive end. As such, the need for a big body on the blue line has just as much to do with wearing down the opponent over the course of games, which we have had, IMO, less success with this season than in other years.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
2nd for Vermette was a highway robbery, that's for sure.

At the time he was overpaid and not playing particularly well. He brought some of that to Phoenix, but he has turned it around. We also plucked Klesla off of Columbus for a song and a dance. Makes me wish we plundered that franchise a bit more while it was still a joke. Brassard would have looked good in a Coyote jersey.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I didn't know where to post this so if it shouldn't be here feel free to remove it. Anyway I just wanted to say that OEL has become my favorite player not on the Flames (not including Iggy). You guys are so lucky to have him, I think he is a top 3 defenseman and will(at least should) win multiple Norris's. He is simply amazing to watch and I wanted to wish you guys the best this year and I plan on joining your fan base for the playoffs.

Also do you think Runblad will be moved for another scoring winger if so Calgary could be interested.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
With all due respect, I disagree regarding a physical D-man. Most of your other points are correct, though.

This is why I mentioned that Murphy moved into my top 6 - for the first time in a while, I saw a defenseman actually clear someone out from between the circles, rather than give little shoves that don't really take the man out of his position. It could be due to Klesla's, Michalek's, and Morris's injuries, but while we have stay-at-home D-men, we don't have the same levels of physicality that have been seen in previous seasons.

There have been a few odd man rushes against, but I think that sells the point that if it is not an odd-man rush that's causing this, then our 5-on-5 play is clearly lacking on the defensive end. As such, the need for a big body on the blue line has just as much to do with wearing down the opponent over the course of games, which we have had, IMO, less success with this season than in other years.

If we traded for a big physical top 4 D man, what would we give up to get one? A lot likely. And who would he replace DMO or Z? The game is getting so much faster now that the big punishing but slow D man is on the way out for guys that can skate and handle the puck. Look at DMO and his play now versus 3 years ago. He is 20 pounds lighter, so he is much quicker, but still tough in the corners. If we bring in the heavy D man at #5 or 6 on the depth chart, he will get less minutes, as will any of our young guys like Stone. How could he play with a Stone? Tip seems to like a PMD with the stay at home D pairing. In an ideal world, I see your point, just don't think there is a fit on the Coyotes...

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Would someone like Hal Gill and Summers/Gormley be able to carry the water? I'm sure Philly would give Gill away, but it's more about seeing if Summers can perform and having a back up plan in place.

Let's face it. In the last 6 years, Klesla has only played 60% of the games he's contracted for. What are the chances he actually contributes something for a Cup run? Because the odds of him actually dressing for a given game is 3 in 5. It's like hiring someone who's really good at what they do, but calls in twice a week every week. How do you rely on that?

I've wanted Klesla moved for a long time because you can't count on him, but at this point, I think they've decided to just take on the risk of his injuries and hope he stays healthy enough to play a few games here and there. With the depth on D, whether Klesla plays or not doesn't seem to be critical to competing in the West.

...and yet he played in the last 2 post seasons that the Coyotes qualified for. I have confidence in that Klesla will play in the playoffs and I don't care if he only plays in 3 out of 5 games during the regular season.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If we traded for a big physical top 4 D man, what would we give up to get one? A lot likely. And who would he replace DMO or Z? The game is getting so much faster now that the big punishing but slow D man is on the way out for guys that can skate and handle the puck. Look at DMO and his play now versus 3 years ago. He is 20 pounds lighter, so he is much quicker, but still tough in the corners. If we bring in the heavy D man at #5 or 6 on the depth chart, he will get less minutes, as will any of our young guys like Stone. How could he play with a Stone? Tip seems to like a PMD with the stay at home D pairing. In an ideal world, I see your point, just don't think there is a fit on the Coyotes...

Maybe Stone is the answer in a trade. He's been mentioned as a young Adrian Aucoin, so what is the arguable upside? 3/4 defenseman with some special teams ability and value? Maybe that's a spot that we are looking to upgrade and now have the option to work the lineups out.

I like Stone as a player very much, and actually feel that he is a bit underrated on offense, and a tad overrated on D. Klesla and Morris are players that I could see as being discussed as parts of deals, if we look to acquire a D-man as an upgrade. I don't know if we go for a deal with either involved.

Maybe this is just a wake-up call to look our defense up and down and get them to be more physical in the dirty areas in front of the crease. This is one facet that I think we need to improve upon defensively.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Acc. to Dreger, the Canes have made Jiri Tlusty + Tuomo Ruutu available on the trade block, hoping to get a Top 4 PMD. No interest in Ruutu, but Tlusty would be a great pick-up. Tlusty is not putting up good numbers this season so far, but he had 23 goals and 38 points last season, and is a very decent two-way player that would complete the Czech line. Also only making 1.7M this year.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Acc. to Dreger, the Canes have made Jiri Tlusty + Tuomo Ruutu available on the trade block, hoping to get a Top 4 PMD. No interest in Ruutu, but Tlusty would be a great pick-up. Tlusty is not putting up good numbers this season so far, but he had 23 goals and 38 points last season, and is a very decent two-way player that would complete the Czech line. Also only making 1.7M this year.

Wasn't aware Tlusty was so cheap. He's obviously a gamble, but one that might be worth taking.

EDIT: he's still RFA after this season, per capgeek. Interesting...

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Maybe Stone is the answer in a trade. He's been mentioned as a young Adrian Aucoin, so what is the arguable upside? 3/4 defenseman with some special teams ability and value? Maybe that's a spot that we are looking to upgrade and now have the option to work the lineups out.

I like Stone as a player very much, and actually feel that he is a bit underrated on offense, and a tad overrated on D. Klesla and Morris are players that I could see as being discussed as parts of deals, if we look to acquire a D-man as an upgrade. I don't know if we go for a deal with either involved.

Maybe this is just a wake-up call to look our defense up and down and get them to be more physical in the dirty areas in front of the crease. This is one facet that I think we need to improve upon defensively.
Feel exactly the same about Stone. His trade is value is extremely high right now and GMDM may net a strong top 6 forward in exchange. Sell high, buy low.....

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Wasn't aware Tlusty was so cheap. He's obviously a gamble, but one that might be worth taking.

EDIT: he's still RFA after this season, per capgeek. Interesting...

Canes HFers aren't too high on Rundblad. At least for discussions here, it probably will have to take Stone to get Tlusty.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tlusty isn't as proven as they think he is. I don't believe he carries the actual league wide value they think he does. He's going to bring that 23 goal shortened season to the negotiating table but may never come close to replicating that kind of pace ever again. While a decent defensive player for an offense first kind of guy, he's not exactly Lauri Korpikoski in that regard. There is a very, very good chance that he ends up something like. Boedker defensively and Korpikoski offensively for the duration. That's a valuable player, but not one I'm jumping up and down to sacrifice top assets for.

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
I'd rather ditch Rundblad over Stone.

Yeah, Stone is not gonna score 20+ goals per season but he is a physical two-way D with a scoring upside. Rundblad is a skilled offensive D, a role we already have two other players that are better, not that old(remember, Yandle is only 26 or 27) and both of them are at least equal in talent.

Morris, Michalek and Klesla are all on the wrong side of 30, we're gonna need to be able to replace them. Schlemko isn't going to be fit for a top 4 shutdown role so he is out. Gormley should probably be able to take that role but unless both him and Murphy(or Summers but I see him more as a bottom pairing guy) pan out great then we're going to have to get someone to fill that role.

While writing this post, however, I realize that if everything shape out well that in two years this could be one of the best, if not the best, defensive setups in the league:

OEL-Gormley
Yandle-Murphy
Stone-Summers
Morris

Trade away/Let walk:
Schlemko
Rundblad
Michalek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events