2013-2014 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I definitely think he is ready for AHL hockey. He has had a very successful start.

My hang up is that if he is three years away from playing in the NHL, then I don't want him spending 3 years in Providence. I think it is bad for a players psyche to be cut three times. If he really is three years away, I'd much rather he play this year in Swedish-2, the following year in Swedish Elite or the AHL, and the 3rd year in the AHL.

If he is one or two years away, then he is much better off in the AHL this year. He will be a far better player at the start of next year because of it.

However, most good players taken in his general range require three years of development (Krejci, Parise, Couture, Marchand, Reilly Smith, Kreider, Turris, Strome etc.). I think there is a decent chance Pastrnak will be ready after 1 or 2 years (some players can do it) but it would still be exceptional.

Krejci spent just a year and a half in the AHL; I expect Pastrnak (who has better raw skills) to do about the same.

Another thing to consider about Pastrnak's development is not just that he has to get adjusted to the North American game, but to North America, period. I think some fans have no idea what a culture shock it is for European players, and how long it takes to adjust (some never do). Learning how to live here, bonding with his teammates, establishing relationships with the coaching staff, it all makes life easier down the road and will make him a better player in the long run.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Asking not suggesting as I don`t know DK, but would the presence of Sweeney taking on a more hands on role down there, and the presence of a Pandalfo be potential reasons for this?

It can not hurt. Pandolfo gives the group a forward's take and as a former Selke Finalist, two time Cup winner, and defensive player who played under a handful of HOF coaches and players, as well as a local boy who knows the Bruins and area well from my view looks like a great move.

Cassidy was a former number 1 pick and only injury cost him a promising career; Dean won a Calder and Stanley Cup and played at UNH. Sweeney played was an assistant captain and played over 1000 NHL games almost all with Boston.

It looks like a great coaching/teaching collection of talent both defensively and offensively and the team is loaded with prospects- maybe not according to the average HF arm chair poster but the Hockey News evaluation and the opinion given to me by someone who's got a good grasp of the topic.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Less wear and tear on the body overseas. Don't want young prospect risking injury prematurely. Pastrnak got knocked around and got knocked off his skates in last night's game and was ineffective. It was up in the air as to whether Pastrnak would play here or go back anyway.

I heard the same thing about last night. I also know Sweeney was in Sweden last week but not sure if it was to see prospects or related to Pastrnak.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Saw a report that he was looking in on Arnesson, among others.

yah, the person who told me, I asked about Arnasson and he told me yes. But I like to stir the pot;) and he could have inquired about Pasta as well

I'll also toss out there, hearing that Matt Lindblad is trending up and may be a guy along the lines of Kelly/Campbell who can be a player on that bottom 6 next year. Smart, somewhat tenacious, more quick than fast, but a guy to watch going forward. Does not have many points but they think that will come- working hard on his own end, getting better on the wall, killing penalties and should be ready to go in Boston next year;)

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Krejci spent just a year and a half in the AHL; I expect Pastrnak (who has better raw skills) to do about the same.

Another thing to consider about Pastrnak's development is not just that he has to get adjusted to the North American game, but to North America, period. I think some fans have no idea what a culture shock it is for European players, and how long it takes to adjust (some never do). Learning how to live here, bonding with his teammates, establishing relationships with the coaching staff, it all makes life easier down the road and will make him a better player in the long run.

Yeah, but Krejci had 2 post draft years in the QMJHL prior to his 1.5 years with Providence. So 3.5 post-draft development years before the NHL.

All things considered I'd rather him here. He's doing well, and there is no reason to believe he will not be ready for the NHL by at least the start of the 2016-2017 season.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Yeah, but Krejci had 2 post draft years in the QMJHL prior to his 1.5 years with Providence. So 3.5 post-draft development years before the NHL.

All things considered I'd rather him here. He's doing well, and there is no reason to believe he will not be ready for the NHL by at least the start of the 2016-2017 season.

Yes, I know (about Krejci). (Actually I probably know way too much about Krejci haha.) But I do think Pastrnak's progression will be a bit quicker.

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
Today's lines:

Spooner-Cunningham-Ferlin
Camara-Koko-Pasternak
Florek-Lindblad-Knight
Flick-Werek-Randell

Breen-Youds
Eminger-Casto
Cross-Simonelli

Subban

Will be interesting to see how Camara does on that line...

Florek stopped by Budaj early in the first. 0-0 early in the first.

Ice Caps going on a lengthy 5 on three late in the period...and they score. Nothing Subban could do. 1-0 Caps.

Spooner scores on a nice wrister on a PP, 1-1 early in the second. It's his first goal of the year, he has 5 points now in 5 games.

Bruins going on the PK (for the 5th time) late in the 2nd...and St. John's scores again. 2-1.

Pasta about to get a penalty shot....and Budaj stops him. Pasta with one too many moves.

Knight being very physical today, throwing the body around but not much in terms of scoring chances. Saw one wrister from him but no real quality shots yet.

Pasta ties it up midway thru the third. Nice hands around the net after a juicy rebound. His 3rd of the year and his 10th point I believe.

Going to OT...

Going to a shootout...

Koko and Spooner score, PBees win 3-2. Nice win on a better-than-average Sunday afternoon game. Another solid game from Subban as well.

Last edited:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Spooner just ripped a great shot through Budaj's 5 hole to tie it up, good build up but what a shot that was.

Last edited:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Pastrnak ties it up mid way through the 3rd. Collects a rebound and beats Budaj high. Couple great shifts from Koko. He's been electric in this 3rd period.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Yep, took most of the draws from what I saw. Great shot in the shootout to tie it, Koko shoots the winner. Pastrnak was shut down in his attempt.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Khokhlachev like a man amongst youth. Shootout goal for the winner was brilliant and subtle move.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Pastrnak had his shining moments. No ill effects from the beatdown Springfield dealt out.

I hear what you are saying about the wear and tear, but isn't that mitigated a bit by the acclimation to the North American game and ice, and also being able to directly oversee his development from 30 minutes away?

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
I hear what you are saying about the wear and tear, but isn't that mitigated a bit by the acclimation to the North American game and ice, and also being able to directly oversee his development from 30 minutes away?

Pastrnak's just 18, and wiry body, and would be safer in Swedish Tier 2 league. Of course, Springfield is a big team, and kind of scary, with several 220-230 lbs players throwing weight around.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Pastrnak's just 18, and wiry body, and would be safer in Swedish Tier 2 league. Of course, Springfield is a big team, and kind of scary, with several 220-230 lbs players throwing weight around.

No guarantee he plays tier 2 in sweden though correct? Vrana fiala Johansen all 2014 draft picks playing t1. With pastrnak fast start in the ahl I would be surprised if his shl team didn't start him with the big club

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
No guarantee he plays tier 2 in sweden though correct? Vrana fiala Johansen all 2014 draft picks playing t1. With pastrnak fast start in the ahl I would be surprised if his shl team didn't start him with the big club

That's not the way it works.

Sodertalje (Pasta's SWE team) is in the lower tier (the Allsvenskan) of the SHL, and there is no "big club". At the end of the SHL season, the bottom two teams from the upper tier play the top four teams from the lower tier in a round robin playoff. The Top two teams go to the upper tier, while the bottom four go down to the Allsvenskan. Under that system, Sodertalje could end up in the upper tier at the end of the season.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
That's not the way it works.

Sodertalje (Pasta's SWE team) is in the lower tier (the Allsvenskan) of the SHL, and there is no "big club". At the end of the SHL season, the bottom two teams from the upper tier play the top four teams from the lower tier in a round robin playoff. The Top two teams go to the upper tier, while the bottom four go down to the Allsvenskan. Under that system, Sodertalje could end up in the upper tier at the end of the season.

Couldn't they loan him? Isn't that common practice amongst teams in Europe?

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Pastrnak is fine, and will be fine in Providence. One rough game is by no means an accurate barometer. Kid has 10 points through 9 games and is leading all rookies in the league.

Nothing left for him overseas. His game needs to develop at the pro level, and under the watchful eyes of the Bruins' brass, which is what is happening in Providence. No better place for him right now.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Pastrnak is fine, and will be fine in Providence. One rough game is by no means an accurate barometer. Kid has 10 points through 9 games and is leading all rookies in the league.

Nothing left for him overseas. His game needs to develop at the pro level, and under the watchful eyes of the Bruins' brass, which is what is happening in Providence. No better place for him right now.

I agree. Plus I suspect there's a wink wink arrangement with him and his agent to call him up to the big club at some point this season so he camcolllect some nhl checks. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him up for good by christmas

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Couldn't they loan him? Isn't that common practice amongst teams in Europe?

You obviously aren't grasping the concept. Why on earth would Sodertalje lend Pastrnak to a team in the upper division when their goal is to make it to that tier at the end of the season?? That's why Soderberg stayed with Malmo for so long, to try to elevate them back into the upper division.

Are you following?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad