2013-2014 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Screen_Shot_2014_03_02_at_2_09_41_PM.png

Knight is Boston's highest draft pick playing in Providence aside from Subban. I think a lot of us would like an explanation.

It's very surprising (and disappointing) that none of the journalists have pressed Chiarelli or Sweeney for an explanation.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Knight is Boston's highest draft pick playing in Providence aside from Subban. I think a lot of us would like an explanation.

It's very surprising (and disappointing) that none of the journalists have pressed Chiarelli or Sweeney for an explanation.

We might have to ask Haggs for help :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

do they have the same kind of fan forum prior to the season starting for season tix holders in Providence like they do in Boston?

roaddogg02316

Feb 23, 2004

The management in Providence could care less. They are more about people in the seats, than STH being happy. I was a holder til 2 years ago, but the prices kept going up even after multiple non playoff seasons in a row.
I've got plenty to gripe about that, but what's the point.
I haven't been in a couple years. I probably will try to this year. But even then I"ll just go get flex tickets on craigslist for cheap.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The management in Providence could care less. They are more about people in the seats, than STH being happy. I was a holder til 2 years ago, but the prices kept going up even after multiple non playoff seasons in a row.
I haven't been in a couple years. I probably will try to this year. But even then I"ll just go get flex tickets on craigslist for cheap.

Nevertheless, I don't see a point to a season ticket holder's fan forum with the coach, GM, etc, which I think was the question. The AHL is what it is. Literally every answer could be "As long as Boston doesn't make too many callups and we don't have a lot of injuries, we'll be fine" and there's not much more to say. I don't expect any AHL coach to say "Yeah this kid sucks and he's a total dick so expect to see him in the stands a lot" either, so the whole thing is moot. I just want to see hockey and ultimately I pay a lot less by staying a partial STH with enough comp flex tix, despite the increased amount of BS the sales people engage in.

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
Received a mailing today from the PBs marketing folks...they are asking fans to renew their "flex tix" packages for next year with no increase in cost. But the interesting thing is the "add-ons" to the package, which indicated there will be another "Black and Gold" game at the Dunk next year.

I'd like to tell them I still haven't used all my tix for THIS year...

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Maybe thats true with the mgmt but the owner couldn't be more of a pure hockey guy. Made tons of money with his company and spends a lot of his free time in hockey.

He bank rolled a team in my youth hockey league (20ish years ago) and was highly involved. Don't remember if he coached or not but he was at every game, totally invested.

He also owns a big rink complex in the western suburbs and lets some local teams have a few free hours each season.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Solid:shakehead

Ya know, I`m a Mooseheads season ticket holder and one evening I found myself sitting beside a scout for the Coyotes (yep, they have one:laugh:)

Real nice guy, we didn`t talk a ton as he was like Sheldon Cooper once the game was in progress, writing frantically on his IPad. In between periods we were talking about how important the draft and picks/prospects are since the introduction of the cap. Now, I will paraphrase here as this was 3 years ago but his statement went something like this

"you can`t turn a dog of a pick into a player, but you can sure turn a good player into a dog with improper development" why do I feel like this is the way they are handling Knight??

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Solid:shakehead

Ya know, I`m a Mooseheads season ticket holder and one evening I found myself sitting beside a scout for the Coyotes (yep, they have one:laugh:)

Real nice guy, we didn`t talk a ton as he was like Sheldon Cooper once the game was in progress, writing frantically on his IPad. In between periods we were talking about how important the draft and picks/prospects are since the introduction of the cap. Now, I will paraphrase here as this was 3 years ago but his statement went something like this

"you can`t turn a dog of a pick into a player, but you can sure turn a good player into a dog with improper development" why do I feel like this is the way they are handling Knight??

Except it doesn't make sense.

As I've noted, if you buy the premise that Knight is being abused, you also have to buy that Cassidy is a monster who's misusing a top draft pick for no reason, AND that Sweeney and Chiarelli are either fine with it or alarmingly ignorant. Even if you accept the first part of the premise, do you believe the second?
Or it could be that Knight struggled with a possibly career-crippling injury last season, and has suffered a few setbacks this season (the Providence Journal reported that he'd been hurt), and they're being ultra-conservative with him.

Just some food for thought. I have trouble with conspiracy theories.

Oh, and I went to the game Sunday. Boy did Koko look good. And whoever it was that called him "soft" is full of it. He sticks his nose in to battle with the best of them. And Spooner was making me smile with some of his Krejci-like moves. Looks like he learned a few things in Boston.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

As I've noted, if you buy the premise that Knight is being abused, you also have to buy that Cassidy is a monster who's misusing a top draft pick for no reason, AND that Sweeney and Chiarelli are either fine with it or alarmingly ignorant. Even if you accept the first part of the premise, do you believe the second?
Or it could be that Knight struggled with a possibly career-crippling injury last season, and has suffered a few setbacks this season (the Providence Journal reported that he'd been hurt), and they're being ultra-conservative with him.

Oh, and I went to the game Sunday. Boy did Koko look good. And whoever it was that called him "soft" is full of it. He sticks his nose in to battle with the best of them. And Spooner was making me smile with some of his Krejci-like moves. Looks like he learned a few things in Boston.

I should have made it clear too, I have NEVER seen a PB game and am not in any way close to seeing or being educated enough to know what`s going on. Kind of going on what a few here say about Knight and how he`s being handled, it "appears" from thousands of miles away that he`s not in the plans down there

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

What was your honest opinion on Knight's game on Sunday?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
why do I feel like this is the way they are handling Knight??

This is what i have a problem with... Why do you give importance to what some fans opinions are and ignore various reports from the media quoting Chia and Sweeney?

Then you have to ask yourself... Do this management would let an AHL coach destroy a top Prospect development ? Really?????

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I should have made it clear too, I have NEVER seen a PB game and am not in any way close to seeing or being educated enough to know what`s going on. Kind of going on what a few here say about Knight and how he`s being handled, it "appears" from thousands of miles away that he`s not in the plans down there

In all honesty, if I wasn't here and going to the games, I might think the same thing reading this thread. But that's because about 90% of the posts in the All Purpose Providence Bruins thread have become about this one guy. To quote Taylor Swift, it's exhausting. Meanwhile, Koko looks better every game and so does Griffith after being scratched a lot to start the year and I'm very excited about Malcolm Subban taking the mantle down the stretch which to me will be the biggest decision by the coaching staff going forward....but let's talk about this one guy every day and how everyone from Boston on down must hate him.

What was your honest opinion on Knight's game on Sunday?

What Artemis said. Oh, he also jawed at the ref on the way to the box. Love dat fire.

He was also out there with Robins a lot, and Bobby has a tendency to steal the spotlight.

Last edited:

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
As a regular watcher of P Bruins games on TV. I used remember some guys each game for doing something of notice. Jared Knight I have very few notes on like I usually have the line up in front and take notes on special things. A big plus followed by an explanation or vice verce. Knight has very few pluses or minuses. This could of course be a player who goes out and does his job without getting a Gordie Howe hattrick. But, as I know I see more good and bad things of players I like (Morrow, Camara), Spooner gets way to many pluses but, as of late I'm worried about him not scoring. He skates like the wind but has stopped scoring. Some players force you to notice and really like. Alex Khokhlachev, Seth Griffith have improved their game, especially skating so much since the start of the season, they are along with Malcolm Subban, Justin Florek almost always good. Too bad injuries put away Fraser, Johnson, Lindblad, Trotman and esp Morrow. PB really has the good make up. Two excellent goalies Svedberg I count as a veteran. Moore, Parlett and Warsofski also. Bobby Robins and Tyler Randell are two of the best fighters in the league. Robins is very much a good player but even as he's caught off guard and down, he'll throw rebound shots as a boxer (Cam Neely used to shoot pucks). He's done wonders for Camara. Maybe he could learn him to fight too, cause despite the all round improvement of AC, he can't fight! So many positive things from my point of view. Biggest concern is 1-Joe Morrow (rehab stage?), 2-Ryan Spooner (scoring drought), 3-Knight (a mystery, he can skate, check and shoot, seems ok, but isn't getting it done). Maybe he can figure it out or maybe he's been injured too badly early I don't have a clue. All this is just from my perspective after watching games, videos on TV so it should be considered.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
What I missed of importance. Some players force you to like their play. Even somebody you didn't like or noticed much of. They're probably the most improved, honestly

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What I missed of importance. Some players force you to like their play. Even somebody you didn't like or noticed much of. They're probably the most improved, honestly

Fantastic post and your comments on Knight were very well thought out. If you watch this weekend focus on him more so and tell me what you think.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
In all honesty, if I wasn't here and going to the games, I might think the same thing reading this thread. But that's because about 90% of the posts in the All Purpose Providence Bruins thread have become about this one guy. To quote Taylor Swift, it's exhausting. Meanwhile, Koko looks better every game and so does Griffith after being scratched a lot to start the year and I'm very excited about Malcolm Subban taking the mantle down the stretch which to me will be the biggest decision by the coaching staff going forward....but let's talk about this one guy every day and how everyone from Boston on down must hate him.

What Artemis said. Oh, he also jawed at the ref on the way to the box. Love dat fire.

He was also out there with Robins a lot, and Bobby has a tendency to steal the spotlight.

If you don't want to discuss Knight bring something else to the table. There are others that do (Alan Ryan and Malt come to mind) and I read their posts with as much interest as the others. I, for one, would like to know WTF the deal is with Knight? Did they waste a very high 2nd round pick or are they not developing him properly? I don't think anybody wants him handed a spot in the Top 6, but it would have been nice to see what he looked like with some decent offensive players to work with.

That's the part that concerns me the most, the lack of opportunity. I have watched enough prospects that were taken in the Top 3 or 4 rounds to know that the normal procedure is to give those guys enough rope to hang themselves. Some guys that were drafted higher than others, got more rope than they should have, even after it was apparent they should not be on the top lines.

Did Knight get this opportunity, I blinked and missed it?

Unlike Artemis, who apparently works in a magical land of sugar plums and fairies, I have been in the work place long enough to know that there can be dysfunction in any setting, professional sports or other. Personality conflicts exist everywhere. Just because it's the Bruins, doesn't mean that there are no communication issues or areas of improvement. Until Knight either "figures it out" or gets dealt/cut this talk will continue. Personally, I would like to see how Knight looks playing in the Top 6 under a different coach. Whether that's with the B's or with another team, doesn't matter at this point.

ps Any time you quote Taylor Swift in regards to hockey, you lose credibility, lol.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If you don't want to discuss Knight bring something else to the table. There are others that do (Alan Ryan and Malt come to mind) and I read their posts with as much interest as the others. I, for one, would like to know WTF the deal is with Knight? Did they waste a very high 2nd round pick or are they not developing him properly? I don't think anybody wants him handed a spot in the Top 6, but it would have been nice to see what he looked like with some decent offensive players to work with.

That's the part that concerns me the most, the lack of opportunity. I have watched enough prospects that were taken in the Top 3 or 4 rounds to know that the normal procedure is to give those guys enough rope to hang themselves. Some guys that were drafted higher than others, got more rope than they should have, even after it was apparent they should not be on the top lines.

Did Knight get this opportunity, I blinked and missed it?

Unlike Artemis, who apparently works in a magical land of sugar plums and fairies, I have been in the work place long enough to know that there can be dysfunction in any setting, professional sports or other. Personality conflicts exist everywhere. Just because it's the Bruins, doesn't mean that there are no communication issues or areas of improvement. Until Knight either "figures it out" or gets dealt/cut this talk will continue. Personally, I would like to see how Knight looks playing in the Top 6 under a different coach. Whether that's with the B's or with another team, doesn't matter at this point.

ps Any time you quote Taylor Swift in regards to hockey, you lose credibility, lol.

I`ll respond to you as soon as I snag a Bieber quote off the interwebz:sarcasm:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->