2013-2014 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
really? you picked one of the greatest games I have ever seen....just thinking of that game gives me chills

yessir, 21st birthday was game 2 at tampa with 5 of my buddies in the last row. and then celebrated at sissy ks with some karaoke (as one does on their 21st birthday)

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
AHL: Monarchs falter, fall 5-0 to Bruins

After a confidence boosting 5-2 win in their home opener over the Portland Pirates on Friday, the Manchester Monarchs were likely feeling good heading into Saturday’s match-up with the Providence Bruins. Once the teams stepped on the ice, the hometown Monarchs were knocked down a peg after a 5-0 drubbing by their division rivals.

Includes video highlights and analysis.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Got a video from game texted to me not shown in highlights (it IS a Monarch's site, lol), of Knight destroying a MAN d-man behind the net on a wrap around pass from his partner.

PRO looked pretty stacked in those highlights. Once Trotman or Morrow returns, the D will be stronger as well.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Was in my USA Hockey cert class until this afternoon, then watched the end of the Pats game and the race at Martinsville (my guy Newman finished 3rd)...didn't realize that Morrow had already been sent back down.

Not surprised because Trot and Bart looked serviceable as that 3rd pair. Morrow can go back down and play big minutes in PRO. No doubt we will see him back up in BOS at some point this year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

good points- love the frankness, you really dont get that from coaches but its all there in this article. Pastrnak certainly doesnt appear ready for prime time yet. Love the wide receiver route comment....I was at the Patriots game and because of where our seats are I can watch the WR's and see who is running and who is going thru motion.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
good points- love the frankness, you really dont get that from coaches but its all there in this article. Pastrnak certainly doesnt appear ready for prime time yet. Love the wide receiver route comment....I was at the Patriots game and because of where our seats are I can watch the WR's and see who is running and who is going thru motion.

cassidy certainly takes his share of crap, but one thing i enjoy is his complete honesty in player evaluations. not many guys will go on record with this type of descriptive analysis. this is a really good team, too. one of the best providence rosters in the past 20 years.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is what i have a problem with... Why do you give importance to what some fans opinions are and ignore various reports from the media quoting Chia and Sweeney?

Then you have to ask yourself... Do this management would let an AHL coach destroy a top Prospect development ? Really?????

I thought you got banned. Welcome back.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
PRO in SPR tonight against the Falcons and are up 2-1 after one period. Goals by Eminger and Camara (nice to see him back).

Really wanted to go tonight to see the young guys, but my son got dinged a bit on a hit from behind in his game, and just wanted to stay home tonight and watch the Big B's.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
PB's end up winning 3-1 (they added a 3rd period goal by Tommy Cross) over SPR. Have no idea how anybody played, but PRO got outshot 28-19 despite having 6 PP's (SPR had 5). Doesn't seem like they had a great night offensively?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
PB's end up winning 3-1 (they added a 3rd period goal by Tommy Cross) over SPR. Have no idea how anybody played, but PRO got outshot 28-19 despite having 6 PP's (SPR had 5). Doesn't seem like they had a great night offensively?

Conversed with a couple of folks who were there. Caron played one shift and was done. Solid all around game with a d core of Breen Cross Youns Casto Eminger and Simonelli allowed only a pp goal.
The golden boy played about 16 minutes and Breen got in a fight and did well. Cunningham got 'Kronwalled' and amazingly stayed in the game.

Caron will be classified my guess as upper body.

Cassidy starting to show signs he is getting it;) not completely but improving :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Conversed with a couple of folks who were there. Caron played one shift and was done. Solid all around game with a d core of Breen Cross Youns Casto Eminger and Simonelli allowed only a pp goal.
The golden boy played about 16 minutes and Breen got in a fight and did well. Cunningham got 'Kronwalled' and amazingly stayed in the game.

Caron will be classified my guess as upper body.

Cassidy starting to show signs he is getting it;) not completely but improving :laugh:

Asking not suggesting as I don`t know DK, but would the presence of Sweeney taking on a more hands on role down there, and the presence of a Pandalfo be potential reasons for this?

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010

Springfield dominated play territorially, and hit several posts. But the Providence goaltending was strong and they escaped with a win. Right now, sizewise, Pastrnak does not possess a NHL-level physical frame, and he is getting knocked around and off his skates, and returning to Sweden for a year could be a good career move for him.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Springfield dominated play territorially, and hit several posts. But the Providence goaltending was strong and they escaped with a win. Right now, sizewise, Pastrnak does not possess a NHL-level physical frame, and he is getting knocked around and off his skates, and returning to Sweden for a year could be a good career move for him.

Why would playing in Sweden be better? Please explain.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Why would playing in Sweden be better? Please explain.

Less wear and tear on the body overseas. Don't want young prospect risking injury prematurely. Pastrnak got knocked around and got knocked off his skates in last night's game and was ineffective. It was up in the air as to whether Pastrnak would play here or go back anyway.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Less wear and tear on the body overseas. Don't want young prospect risking injury prematurely. Pastrnak got knocked around and got knocked off his skates in last night's game and was ineffective. It was up in the air as to whether Pastrnak would play here or go back anyway.

He had an indifferent game last night, but he's been brilliant in others. He's a kid, and he's going to have his ups and downs; it's part of growing up and learning the game, and he's going to have to learn the North American style sooner or later. He'd been playing in a men's league in Sweden, and contrary to popular belief, they hit hard there too.

A player will improve only if he's tested and challenged. The next step is supposed to be hard, and IMHO the lessons Pastrnak is learning are invaluable. Not to mention that the Bruins can keep a close eye on him in Providence. In the end, he'll be a better player for it.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
He had an indifferent game last night, but he's been brilliant in others. He's a kid, and he's going to have his ups and downs; it's part of growing up and learning the game, and he's going to have to learn the North American style sooner or later. He'd been playing in a men's league in Sweden, and contrary to popular belief, they hit hard there too.

A player will improve only if he's tested and challenged. The next step is supposed to be hard, and IMHO the lessons Pastrnak is learning are invaluable. Not to mention that the Bruins can keep a close eye on him in Providence. In the end, he'll be a better player for it.

I definitely think he is ready for AHL hockey. He has had a very successful start.

My hang up is that if he is three years away from playing in the NHL, then I don't want him spending 3 years in Providence. I think it is bad for a players psyche to be cut three times. If he really is three years away, I'd much rather he play this year in Swedish-2, the following year in Swedish Elite or the AHL, and the 3rd year in the AHL.

If he is one or two years away, then he is much better off in the AHL this year. He will be a far better player at the start of next year because of it.

However, most good players taken in his general range require three years of development (Krejci, Parise, Couture, Marchand, Reilly Smith, Kreider, Turris, Strome etc.). I think there is a decent chance Pastrnak will be ready after 1 or 2 years (some players can do it) but it would still be exceptional.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
He had an indifferent game last night, but he's been brilliant in others. He's a kid, and he's going to have his ups and downs; it's part of growing up and learning the game, and he's going to have to learn the North American style sooner or later. He'd been playing in a men's league in Sweden, and contrary to popular belief, they hit hard there too. A player will improve only if he's tested and challenged. The next step is supposed to be hard, and IMHO the lessons Pastrnak is learning are invaluable. Not to mention that the Bruins can keep a close eye on him in Providence. In the end, he'll be a better player for it.

Pastrnak is 18 years, and, in my view, he's not physically developed enough for even the AHL season-long challenge. There's much bigger and more mature players on every team in the AHL, and they can play dirty too. He's been good, but not brilliant, and the opponents are now catching on to the fancy toe-drag moves. Another year in Sweden would not completely stall his development, and additional year of natural growth would improve his physique.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad