2013-2014 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I agree. Plus I suspect there's a wink wink arrangement with him and his agent to call him up to the big club at some point this season so he camcolllect some nhl checks. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him up for good by christmas

The B's will not call Pasta up for more than 9 games, as that would burn a year off his ELC.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The B's will not call Pasta up for more than 9 games, as that would burn a year off his ELC.

I would be shocked if they dont. Main reason krug signed with Boston was that psudo first year off his elc getting burned the last few games after signing essentially giving him a 2 year deal. Pastrnak sacrificing $$ I'm sweden to play in providence a full year doesnt make sense. I'm sure there's a deal to get that first year burned with his agent to keep him around for a playoff run

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I would be shocked if they dont. Main reason krug signed with Boston was that psudo first year off his elc getting burned the last few games after signing essentially giving him a 2 year deal. Pastrnak sacrificing $$ I'm sweden to play in providence a full year doesnt make sense. I'm sure there's a deal to get that first year burned with his agent to keep him around for a playoff run

I would be shocked if they do. Unless he's going to be a difference maker at the NHL level the B's are not going to burn a year off his ELC.

Also, how do you know what Pastrnak was making in Sweden? He's probably making around 75k in the AHL. Probably as much or more than he would have made in Sweden.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I would be shocked if they do. Unless he's going to be a difference maker at the NHL level the B's are not going to burn a year off his ELC.

Also, how do you know what Pastrnak was making in Sweden? He's probably making around 75k in the AHL. Probably as much or more than he would have made in Sweden.

Why not? Krug wasn't a difference maker his first year yet they burned his first year off elc. I think the reason pastrnak is here is an agreement with his agent that the first year would get burned regardless of play just in case he could help this year with the stretch run. Otherwise the agent uses his leverage and takes pastrnak back to Sweden. What's the benefit to play an entire year in the ahl essentially for nothing? If he can get one year closer to RFA then maybe he'll ride the bus but not for no reason at all besides "the good of the franchise." The business side of the NHL rears its ugly head in this case

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Wouldn't say apples and oranges. I'd say granny smiths and cortlands. But they both work in apple pie so we'll see at season end how many regular season games pastrnak plays.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Pastrnak learning to play against NHL sized players on NHL sized rinks is a good thing. He will get a look at some point this year IMO. Skill is undeniable.

They will release him for the WJC though right?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Wouldn't say apples and oranges. I'd say granny smiths and cortlands. But they both work in apple pie so we'll see at season end how many regular season games pastrnak plays.

What are you not getting? Part of Krug signing with Boston was him getting a game in the NHL and essentially getting himself to free agency a year quicker. The same has happened with other NCAA free agents (JT Brown, Folin, etc) in the past.

Pastrnak drafted, 1st round pick, like the other poster said, apples and oranges.

Still wondering if you figured out the whole SHL/Allsvenskan thing.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
What are you not getting? Part of Krug signing with Boston was him getting a game in the NHL and essentially getting himself to free agency a year quicker. The same has happened with other NCAA free agents (JT Brown, Folin, etc) in the past.

Pastrnak drafted, 1st round pick, like he said, apples and oranges.

So if he plays enough to burn a year you're wrong and I'm right? And vice versa if he doesn't? Because I think he absolutely gets this year burned. Fa signing..draft pick. Apples oranges Clementines watermelons. Whatever fruit you pick the end result is the same. Chiarelli is boring in that way.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

Pastrnak drafted, 1st round pick, like the other poster said, apples and oranges.

Still wondering if you figured out the whole SHL/Allsvenskan thing.

Is allsvenskan a Swedish breed of apple? Or is it an orange?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So if he plays enough to burn a year you're wrong and I'm right? And vice versa if he doesn't? Because I think he absolutely gets this year burned. Fa signing..draft pick. Apples oranges Clementines watermelons. Whatever fruit you pick the end result is the same. Chiarelli is boring in that way.

there's no guarantee, Pastrnak gets released for the WJC's, EITHER...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

It's not about being wrong or right. You are already wrong regardless of the eventual outcome because of your reasoning regarding Krug and Pastrnak, who despite your efforts to say otherwise, are completely different animals.

Is allsvenskan a Swedish breed of apple? Or is it an orange?

It's a Swedish expression that means "wasting your time trying to explain something" or "lost cause" depending on which translator you talk to.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock

Prepare to be shocked then, I guess …

There are exactly zero comparisons between Krug and Pastrnak in their contract situations and career paths in becoming professional athletes. Krug was older, more experienced (coming out of college), and had other offers on the table for his services. His deal was to allow him to make it to that bridge contract faster as an enticement to sign with the Bruins instead of the other teams with offers on the table.

What leverage does Pastrnak have? What rush is he in? Pretty sure he and his agent realize that the Bruins want to develop him correctly for both the benefit of the team and the player. That probably doesn't include any "handshake deals" for NHL playing time before he's ready so he can make an NHL paycheck. He's 18 with a bright future. The money will come.

Guessing any time he sees in Boston this season (if any) will be limited.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

There are exactly zero comparisons between Krug and Pastrnak in their contract situations and career paths in becoming professional athletes. Krug was older, more experienced (coming out of college), and had other offers on the table for his services. His deal was to allow him to make it to that bridge contract faster as an enticement to sign with the Bruins instead of the other teams with offers on the table.

What leverage does Pastrnak have? What rush is he in? Pretty sure he and his agent realize that the Bruins want to develop him correctly for both the benefit of the team and the player. That probably doesn't include any "handshake deals" for NHL playing time before he's ready so he can make an NHL paycheck. He's 18 with a bright future. The money will come.

W-A-S-T-I-N-G

Y-O-U-R

B-R-E-A-T-H...

Very well put though...:D

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NHL draft picks often go play where the teams that drafted them want them to play. This is why we so often see players who are committed to NCAA programs suddenly drop them and end up in Juniors (ie Sonny Milano)

Yes most Swedish players have ties to their home program and prefer to stay there while they develop, but Pastrnak is not Swedish.

Pastrnak wants to be an NHL player, and he wants to be one as quickly as he can, so he is doing everything the Bruins want him to do. The Bruins want him in Providence, so he is in Providence.

Is there a chance he gets called up? Sure anything is possible, and they may well reward him with a couple of games.

Is there a chance he plays 10 games at the NHL level? Times have gotten desperate and they have had issues at RW. So there is slight chance that they decide his potential offense is enough to make up for all the other deficiencies in his game, but that is an extreme desperation scenario

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
Just saw some highlights from Saturday's game in Springfield; great job by Chris Breen going after the Falcons' captain (Ryan Craig) after he ran into goalie Smith. Breen pounded him pretty good and made it look easy at the same time.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

I think there's more behind the scenes business deals then people realize. is there a real difference between pastrnak playing in sweden and playing in the AHL monetarily? probably not, but the one thing that is different is with pastrnak in the AHL he is available to the bruins this season if they need him. If he was in sweden he would not be available to be called up. If I'm an agent, I'm playing that hand. The bruins want him in the AHL in case they need him, he can either stay or go. Why not negotiate with the team to do what they want? The bruins want him in the AHL, the players agent wants him to be one year closer to a contract negotiation, so they leverage the bruins to get his first year burned this year in return for the flexibility of calling him up for a playoff run if they need him. Why as an agent would you just offer your player up to be in the AHL for a full year without any incentive coming back your way. Krug was a free agent signing so he had other options, yes. But even though pastrnak only had 1 option in the NHL circuit he could have easily gone to play in juniors, or overseas where he has been his whole life. Maybe I'm cynical but I can't believe there would be an agent who would let his guy play in the AHL a full year when he could leverage that commitment to shorten his time on an ELC. Thats not a good agent.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think there's more behind the scenes business deals then people realize. is there a real difference between pastrnak playing in sweden and playing in the AHL monetarily? probably not, but the one thing that is different is with pastrnak in the AHL he is available to the bruins this season if they need him. If he was in sweden he would not be available to be called up. If I'm an agent, I'm playing that hand. The bruins want him in the AHL in case they need him, he can either stay or go. Why not negotiate with the team to do what they want? The bruins want him in the AHL, the players agent wants him to be one year closer to a contract negotiation, so they leverage the bruins to get his first year burned this year in return for the flexibility of calling him up for a playoff run if they need him. Why as an agent would you just offer your player up to be in the AHL for a full year without any incentive coming back your way. Krug was a free agent signing so he had other options, yes. But even though pastrnak only had 1 option in the NHL circuit he could have easily gone to play in juniors, or overseas where he has been his whole life. Maybe I'm cynical but I can't believe there would be an agent who would let his guy play in the AHL a full year when he could leverage that commitment to shorten his time on an ELC. Thats not a good agent.

The quicker Pastrnak gets acclimated to North America and becomes a regular in the NHL, the better it is for both agent and client. I'm not sure it would be the smartest move for an agent to try to put the B's over a barrel right at the start of his client's career, before he has proven anything?

Big picture, not short term gratification.

member 96824

That was part of Krug's signing package.

"Sign here, we'll burn a year off your ELC and get you paid quicker"

B's have a rare opportunity to develop a guy under full control of the franchise for free. Unless things seriously get bad as far as injuries go on the wing, I'd be surprised if you see Pastrnak more than 9 games. It's not because he doesn't have the offensive talent, but because the work that's gotta go into the other parts of his game.

They aren't trying to lure Pastrnak into coming here, it's not like Krug's situation...he's already here. Signed, delivered, performing.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The quicker Pastrnak gets acclimated to North America and becomes a regular in the NHL, the better it is for both agent and client. I'm not sure it would be the smartest move for an agent to try to put the B's over a barrel right at the start of his client's career, before he has proven anything?

Big picture, not short term gratification.

Correct, he probably would need to spend at least a year in the AHL, whether that happens when he is 18 or 20.

So he is accelerating his NHL career by being in Providence now

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I agree. Plus I suspect there's a wink wink arrangement with him and his agent to call him up to the big club at some point this season so he camcolllect some nhl checks. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him up for good by christmas

I'm big on watching everything besides the stat plays and there is a lot of his game I think is sub par. He's my first round pick in a Fantasy League but he floats is leaning out of the defensive zone and needs to be a lot better on the wall, puck battles, and defensive zone coverage.

He's exciting but he's not even close to finished. Boston calls him up there goal of being a great 5 on 5 teàm is not good

LouisSleigher

Jul 6, 2013
SW Ohio
I'm confused-- how did playing just 2 NHL games burn a year for Krug, but Pastrnak can play as many as 9 without burning? Did the rule change?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I'm confused-- how did playing just 2 NHL games burn a year for Krug, but Pastrnak can play as many as 9 without burning? Did the rule change?

Krug was 20 when he signed his ELC

If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games — regular season or playoffs — the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad