2013/2014 Minnesota Wild News and Notes - New Division and New Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
From Russo:

Against Toronto, Parise scored the tying goal with 4:17 left and the shootout winner. Against Florida, Coyle scored the winning goal with 8:22 left. Against Winnipeg, Koivu scored both goals, including the winner with 3:12 left. And there was Koivu’s late winner Wednesday.

Only a matter of time before someone figures out how to stop the top line when we are tied or down by 1 going late into the 3rd :biglaugh:

tomthestone*

Because its like pissing in a forest fire. Still concerned about leadership and how this team responds during a losing streak but that's not an argument that I want to bring up.

Comment of the year. Finally, a Minnesota Wild team that can contend, and this guy won't be impressed until they start losing. And losing like winners.

...uhhh? What? You've outdone yourself this time. It's impressive beyond words how you find a way to make less and less sense with every post.

OpRedDawn*

He came off surgery and never really got into a groove. Hards played out of his mind and won the starter spot. As far as a "backup" to Harding, he's fine. Certainly better than our AHL goalies will do

tomthestone*

He came off surgery and never really got into a groove. Hards played out of his mind and won the starter spot. As far as a "backup" to Harding, he's fine. Certainly better than our AHL goalies will do

Backstrom should be fine as a backup, but he cannot be counted on to finish a game. Whether by injury or because he ends up swimming out there, the guy gets yanked out of contests at a ridiculous rate.

For the rest of this year Backstrom is fine, but he's going to be a serious buyout candidate at season's end if he doesn't show something over a decent stretch before the playoffs start.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
As far as the Suter - Norris talk, these are my thoughts and considering I posted it in the general board, I may as well transfer it here...

I don't watch enough of other teams to really comment on other candidates, but as a Wild fan I can speak about what I've seen from Suter over his short tenure with the Wild to this point.

If you're going to talk about Suter's game and bring up goals or points, you're pretty much missing the vast majority of what he provides. Put simply, he's not a huge offensive contributor so unless he's springing someone up the ice on an outlet or showing up on the score sheet of a pretty talented PP, he's not going to dictate a game offensively.

What Ryan Suter does give this Wild team is a player who is among the best I've seen in a while in terms of winning a battle, gaining possession, and turning up the ice in transition. Given how this game is currently played, these are vital traits. Add in his ability to lock down half the game and seemingly look no worse for the wear and I'd say he's pretty special.

That may or may not be worth the Norris in some people's eyes and as a fan, I have to say player trophies mean very little to me. I'm just thrilled to have this guy on the back end of my favorite team. I don't think Suter plays a flawless game and he'll certainly have moments where you'll scratch your head. But those tend to be few and far between and they seem to magnify themselves given how often he's actually on the the ice (in all situations) and how bad a miss-play/read may look in relation to what you're accustom to seeing from him.

As far as some of the Brodin comments. I would say he started off the year as good, if not better, than any player on this Wild team. He then took a puck to the face, sat out a bit with a broken cheekbone and then returned. Up until last night, I've thought since he came back he was a borderline liability. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as I'm sure playing with a broken face isn't all that easy. But now with the mask off, I'd like to see him get his game back to where it needs to be. And again, last night was a step in the right direction.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Why the doom and gloom about backs? He's been fine when healthy

equally astonishing, I agree with this guy right here. The doom and gloom is because Heatley and Koivu are scoring, Konopka isn't taking a million game killing penalties, and Yeo is winning, so gotta express that negative chi on someone.

tomthestone*

equally astonishing, I agree with this guy right here. The doom and gloom is because Heatley and Koivu are scoring, Konopka isn't taking a million game killing penalties, and Yeo is winning, so gotta express that negative chi on someone.

Not at all. That whole "they gotta blame somebody" theory is bogus. Backstrom is constantly floundering about the crease, trying to catch up to standard passes across the zone. Few, if any, goalies in Backy's pay grade struggle to stay square to the puck the way he does. Countless times the Wild chip away at a deficit or work like crazy to pull even, only to have 32 cough up something ugly and take the wind out of the team's sails. When he surrenders those types of bleeders at the X, everyone in the building can feel the letdown and it sounds the each and every Wild fan took a punch to the gut.

Don't get upset when I bump this series of posts as Backstrom's save percentage is still struggling to break .900 a month from now.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
You use words like 'constantly' and 'countless times' yet he has hardly gotten to play this year and hasn't been healthy. He carried the team last year. Not sure what you're basing that on.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Heatley has unblocked his meridians, allowing his scoring chi to flow once again.

tomthestone*

You use words like 'constantly' and 'countless times' yet he has hardly gotten to play this year and hasn't been healthy. He carried the team last year. Not sure what you're basing that on.

My harsh breakdown on Backstrom dates back to the latter half of last season. He definitely did get the team into the playoffs, but that has more to do with the Wild's complete lack of viable backup options. A lot of nights he was ineffective on short rest. There's no doubt Backy was starting to fade well before he pulled up lame, in warmups, without being contacted by anything. That had to be some sort of record.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
My harsh breakdown on Backstrom dates back to the latter half of last season. He definitely did get the team into the playoffs, but that has more to do with the Wild's complete lack of viable backup options. A lot of nights he was ineffective on short rest. There's no doubt Backy was starting to fade well before he pulled up lame, in warmups, without being contacted by anything. That had to be some sort of record.

You must have no knowledge of how hernias happen.

Backstrom was our best goalie last year, one of our best players and carried us to the playoffs. That's it, accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad