2013/2014 Minnesota Wild News and Notes - New Division and New Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Why do you act like 35 is so old? He hasn't been in the league and stressed that long. He just came off of surgery and has had 2 injuries where a player injured him. You act like Backstrom is Tim Thomas. He's not that old, and he is still a good goalie. $3.4M is a sweet spot for him on this team.

I can also argue that he would not have been injured last year if he wasn't playing as much. He played too many games in a row for any goalie in this league, which lead to a hernia.
Old or not (and Backstrom is old), but the 35yro contract rule is significant. If he retires, the Wild are still on the hook for the cap hit. That's what happens when a multi-year deal is signed when a player is 35+yrs old.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
So you refute my "terrible" argument with a strawman? That would be funny if it wasn't so forced.

While correlation doesn't always equal causation, when you've got statistics around it to back up the idea, it at least warrants discussion rather than being casually dismissed with a thinly veiled strawman.

I haven't "loved him" in years, so go ahead and project that feeling however you want. I've been critical of him for quite a while.

He did look good in Chicago, but I don't remember him looking anything better than acceptable in Toronto. And yet he's looked pretty bad in almost every other game he's played this year, and he has some of the worst stats in the league to show for it.

While we're at it, please remind me the last time a goalie tandem went deep in the playoffs? I guess you could try to argue Pittsburgh last year, but they got swept when it mattered.

I also just plain don't understand how you can think he's a "top-15" goalie, but you don't expect him to carry us in the playoffs? Seems like you're contradicting yourself quite a bit here. I wonder which other team with a "top-15" goalie would be OK with their backup splitting time with their starter in the playoffs?

Either you're not making your argument very effectively, or you've just got nothing to back up your point. You're not coming close to swaying me.

I did not use a straw man, at all. I simply pointed out that you completely ignored that Backs had a .918SV% in 2011-12. This isn't far off from your presented .920SV% stat.

He has barely played this year, so I don't think we should judge how good he is off of this year. That's just totally unfair. When I say he is 'top-15' I mean in starters, excluding the goalies on hot streaks and excluding the young goalies like Bernier that haven't played much.

Bottom line, the team has to show up. The goalie can't do everything. He has had bad luck this year, he hasn't fallen off as much as people think. He was good last year and his stats were good until the last few games, those games brought down his stats. It's also safe to say he had a nagging injury that he was playing with towards the season. We were also talking about the possibility of that here when he fell apart during playoff warmups.

You need to stop talking about playoffs, we have to get there before we can talk about that. We lost in the first round last year to the SC winner. We got to get there again, now, in a very tough conference and division. We need a goalie like Backs and a tandem to get there.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Top 15?? Have you even seen him play in any game other than that Chicago game? He'd be hard pressed to qualify for a backup job with play like he's had this year.

Read my post before this one.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Read my post before this one.

Previous seasons only get a goalie his next contract. And yeah, I figured he deserved another year or two after the way he played for us this year. But the goalie position is all about "what have you done for me lately?" and Backstrom in his few appearances has been horrid.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I'd agree that Backs has been subpar so far, but I wouldn't say that being subpar coming off surgery, then getting injury because he was crashed into, means he's finished.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Fire Yeo and hire Laviolette.
Trade Koivu for picks and sign a FA center right away to replace his production.
Buyout Bäckström next offseason and pay 7Mx5y for any of the UFA goalies who would want to actually come over.

Anyone see a problem with this?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Jeez, we are going to have a civil war here on the Wild boards really soon.

No point in arguing anymore really.

That's always been a problem with the Wild board and when they migrated over here, this board. No more dissenting opinions. If you have a criticism or an opinion that people don't want to hear and/or like, then your argument is invalid.

I remember for being bashed heavily for criticizing DR years before he was fired due to how terrible his drafting was. Fans said I was being negative or I didn't know what I was talking about or how DR brought in all these good free agents. Not to worry.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
That's always been a problem with the Wild board and when they migrated over here, this board. No more dissenting opinions. If you have a criticism or an opinion that people don't want to hear and/or like, then your argument is invalid.

I remember for being bashed heavily for criticizing DR years before he was fired due to how terrible his drafting was. Fans said I was being negative or I didn't know what I was talking about or how DR brought in all these good free agents. Not to worry.

I was talking about this board directly and the uproar about our goalie that isn't even playing right now :)

I've been around the official Wild boards, but never really posted there.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I was talking about this board directly and the uproar about our goalie that isn't even playing right now :)

I've been around the official Wild boards, but never really posted there.

What are these official boards ye speak of?

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
So Koivu is 20 points away from passing Gaborik as the highest scoring Wild player ever.

Decided to look up the list and holy cow is our list underwhelming.

Gaborik, Koivu, PMB, Brunette, Rolston, Burns, Walz, Dupuis, Filip Kuba, Kyle Brodziak?

Before Brodziak, Schultz was #10. Nick Schultz.

I realize we have a really young franchise on our hands here but dang.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
On the plus side, we have plenty of guys now that I can see going down in the history books as high scoring players for our team.

Parise, Suter, maybe guys like Pominville or Granlund, and so on.

So far with the Wild, Parise has played 71 games and has 58 points. He's almost halfway to being #10 already. And he's signed for the next bajillion years so that's a plus. Not sure if he can pass Koivu/Gaborik, but he only needs to average ~30 points a year for the rest of his contract to get to #3 all time. Definitely possible.

Pominville has played 37 games and has 26 points, good for 1/5th of the way there. Since he's signed for the next 5(?) years, I could see him passing guys like Kuba and Brodziak if not going even higher into the Rolston/Walz/Brunette range.

Suter is at 46 points in 71 games for the Wild. He needs to average ~15 points a year for the rest of his contract to pass Burns as the highest scoring defender for our franchise. That's reachable, right?

What's interesting to me is that Heater has ~80 points so far with the Wild. Granted that it is unlikely, but if he drops another ~40 points this season he can get into the #9-#10 range. That would be fun.

EDIT: Can't tell I'm a pessimist, can you? Pominville barely passing Kuba(#9 - 132 points) isn't "definitely possible" :shakehead: The guy would have to average 20 points a season for 5 years to pass him. If that is only "possible" this team should just pack it up and move to Quebec.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
So Koivu is 20 points away from passing Gaborik as the highest scoring Wild player ever.

Decided to look up the list and holy cow is our list underwhelming.

Gaborik, Koivu, PMB, Brunette, Rolston, Burns, Walz, Dupuis, Filip Kuba, Kyle Brodziak?

Before Brodziak, Schultz was #10. Nick Schultz.

I realize we have a really young franchise on our hands here but dang.

Well the #1 reason for that is this team has always had massive turnover when it comes to players in the first decade of its existence. Gaborik was the longest tenured player at what? 8 or 9 years?

Not going to set franchise records when players typically are coming here when past their prime, or in roles they would never fill on other teams, for 3-5 years and then they retire or leave.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Wild are number 5 power rankings on NHL . Avs fans complaining that were to high and ther to low.

Also Pierre McGuire talked about Brodin on radio yesterday saying he should have won the Calder.

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
This whole best scorers in Wild history thing is just sad considering we've been around for 13 years now. It just speaks volumes about how this team has never had a quality goal scorer outside of Gaborik and maybe a few people who were only here a year or two.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Wild are number 5 power rankings on NHL . Avs fans complaining that were to high and ther to low.

Also Pierre McGuire talked about Brodin on radio yesterday saying he should have won the Calder.

better yet we were #4 on TSNs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad