Did any credible scouting outlet have misgivings about Lafreniere or Yakupov ?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
People still arguing he's a bust. You guys have some massive f***ing egos, get the f*** over yourselves. You can admit you're wrong. Anyone that watched the Rangers knows that all three players on the Trocheck line contributed and there were zero passengers. Does it help playing with good players? Does it help Rantenen to play with Nathan MacKinnon? Players playing with good players is literally what the sport is about.

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
Dude's he has 39 points in his last 41 games without any PP1 time. That's half the season. I know you REALLY want him to suck because you're a Devils fan but you have no credibility.
A lot of debs fan are already sold on him being a bust and will blindly continue to think so, despite the stats and play showing he has taken a clear step forward this year. Oh well.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
A lot of debs fan are already sold on him being a bust and will blindly continue to think so, despite the stats and play showing he has taken a clear step forward this year. Oh well.

Better point/game in the playoffs this year than jack had in his last playoff run. Without pp1 time.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Just shows development isnt linear. I know i thought he was a bust - but i dont watch the rangers much.

As for Yak, the Oilers head scout didnt want him. The kid couldn’t skate and was an overblown Bonafide bust.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I would not say "sold". I would say invested. They made the claims so they really want them to be true. People like to be right. I was wrong about Jack Hughes. I did not think he would be this good because I worried about size. I do not mind admitting when I'm wrong. It happens pretty often lol :D.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I heard Alain Chainey, who was a scout for the Ducks, say Yakupov was the worst interview he'd ever done.

It was in the La Poche Bleue podcast with Max Lapierre and Guillaume Latendresse

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Just shows development isnt linear. I know i thought he was a bust - but i dont watch the rangers much.

As for Yak, the Oilers head scout didnt want him. The kid couldn’t skate and was an overblown Bonafide bust.
I feel like skating was the only thing he could do, that dude could fly, He just couldn't do anything else at all

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Lafreniere was most compared to Huberdeau developmentally predraft at that time when Huberdeau was at the peak of his production. Huberdeau was a slow burn prospect, it took him a long time to get great.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
People still arguing he's a bust. You guys have some massive f***ing egos, get the f*** over yourselves. You can admit you're wrong. Anyone that watched the Rangers knows that all three players on the Trocheck line contributed and there were zero passengers. Does it help playing with good players? Does it help Rantenen to play with Nathan MacKinnon? Players playing with good players is literally what the sport is about.
He’s obviously not remotely comparable to Yakupov, but he’s still a pretty big disappointment to where he was expected to be.

He’d still go #3-6 in a redraft though.

I feel like skating was the only thing he could do, that dude could fly, He just couldn't do anything else at all
I think that was part of his problem was that his feet were always going a mile a minute in any single situation which would get him out of position and accomplishing nothing

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oilers scouts didn't want Yakupov. They voted against it 9-2

The scouts decision was veto'd by Darryl Katz and the Old Boys Club.
It's very common knowledge.

Bob McKenzie confirmed:
1715363491008.png

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
The funny thing is, he wasn't even that fast. He just darted around going balls to the wall regardless of what was going on around him. His top end speed wasn't very impressive.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He’s obviously not remotely comparable to Yakupov, but he’s still a pretty big disappointment to where he was expected to be.

He’d still go #3-6 in a redraft though.

I think that was part of his problem was that his feet were always going a mile a minute in any single situation which would get him out of position and accomplishing nothing

He's 22... The guy would be a PPG player with PP 1 time. As was, without PP 1 time he has 39 points in his last 41 games and had 57 points over the season (not counting playoffs where he's over a PPG) without Power Play 1 time. And If you were expecting McDavid point totals or Matthews goal totals maybe that's on you. This season not one Rangers fan is disappointed in him. And if you think that's homerism, that's not remotely the case with Kakko, and in previous seasons Laf was getting killed on our board. There's a first overall every year, you're not going to get Mario Lemieux every year.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
I remember seeing an analysis on ESPN, if they can be considered credible, that while Lafreniere was pretty good and not flawed, a few thought Quinton Blyfield would be better. It wasn’t until this year that Blyfield finally started to produce.

With Lafreniere he was criticized plenty during the exhibition season for playing poorly, playing too much softball over the summer. But now that fixed draft drawing is really paying off for the Rangers

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Oilers scouts didn't want Yakupov. They voted against it 9-2

The scouts decision was veto'd by Darryl Katz and the Old Boys Club.
It's very common knowledge.

Bob McKenzie confirmed:
View attachment 868383
What a sad story as a whole when you look back at the 2012 draft, especially 1-4 OV.

"We want Ryan Murray!!!"
"NO! You WILL take Nail Yakupov!"

Oof...cringe either way.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He's 22... The guy would be a PPG player with PP 1 time. As was, without PP 1 time he has 39 points in his last 41 games and had 57 points over the season (not counting playoffs where he's over a PPG) without Power Play 1 time. And If you were expecting McDavid point totals or Matthews goal totals maybe that's on you. This season not one Rangers fan is disappointed in him. And if you think that's homerism, that's not remotely the case with Kakko, and in previous seasons Laf was getting killed on our board. There's a first overall every year, you're not going to get Mario Lemieux every year.
He was expected to be a star player and in his 4th season his career high is 57pts and there are definitely two players clearly ahead of him in the draft, with an argument for a few others.

As I said he’s not a busy and he’s a good player. But he’s not what he was expected to be. Could that change? Sure could, but as of now I can guarantee if I went to the NYR board in 2020 and told you guys his career high after 4 seasons would be 57pts I would have been banned for trolling.
Also he’s not getting an extra 25pts with PP1 time lol. If you’re going to just give him magical points, you could just as easily take them away for playing with Panarin.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Pretty sure Brian Burke said his team had a "Do not draft under any circumstance" caveat for Yakupov.
he said that a few years after the draft and Yakupov was a bust. He means legit sources at the time of the draft.

He was also blasted for saying he would've picked Rielly over everyone else including Yakupov, even if the Leafs had the #1 pick that year.
but he has said that about nearly every first rounder he has ever taken

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He was expected to be a star player and in his 4th season his career high is 57pts and there are definitely two players clearly ahead of him in the draft, with an argument for a few others.

As I said he’s not a busy and he’s a good player. But he’s not what he was expected to be. Could that change? Sure could, but as of now I can guarantee if I went to the NYR board in 2020 and told you guys his career high after 4 seasons would be 57pts I would have been banned for trolling.
Also he’s not getting an extra 25pts with PP1 time lol. If you’re going to just give him magical points, you could just as easily take them away for playing with Panarin.

Are you taking away points from Rantanen for playing with MacKinnon? And look at the points everyone on PP 1 for the Rangers got, I believe they're in that range. If you don't want to award him "magical points" but don't want to adjust for the fact that he's been mostly getting his points at even strength are you not biasing the results in your favor?

Edit: I just checked from the forwards on PP1, Trocheck had the fewest with 24.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
Lafreniere isn't finished developing. Anyone who says otherwise frankly doesn't understand hockey. He has developed slowly, but he went to a deep team where he couldn't get huge ice time right away. He has improved every year and had his best year by far this season. Was jack Hughes a bust after 2 years? Then he broke out and people pretended they were right the whole time. Joe Thornton had 7 points as a rookie. Lecavalier had 28.

Yakupov looked good as a rookie then regressed every year. Not really the same ballpark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad