Speculation: 2013-2014 Hurricanes Trade Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
The Canes defense is still weak and really, Sekera, Faulk and Hainsey (who is a UFA) are really the only top 4 guys they have. If Hainsey goes elsewhere in the offseason and the Canes trade Sekera, they are hosed. Especially with how well he's played so I doubt they'd even consider that traded. Yes, they didn't pay that much for him, but he's worth a heck of a lot more for the Canes than what they gave up.

Canes will not likely go into a full blown rebuild mode, especially with guys like the Staals, Ward, and Semin in the prime of their career.

Thanks for the reply and analysis. I appreciate the hospitality. Hope you make the play-offs!

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Sharks fan coming in peace (hoping to leave in one piece, too). Know you guys are on the bubble, not sure if you will be buyers or sellers. On the chance that you choose to use the TDL as an opportunity to build some depth in future, I come asking you about Sekera.

He was a great addition for you (think you won that one). Our Sharks have a gaping hole at LHD for our second pairing. Sekera would greatly improve our chances at the cup, but I understand if you don't want to move him in the slightest. My thought was to center a trade around:

Sekera for Kennedy (top 9 winger, 2.35 M cap) + Irwin (3rd pair roster LHD @ 1M) + 1st + ??

The above is a starting point. Irwin + Kennedy both have same contract length as Sekera, so they would fill some of the void for next year. Combined worth of the two is about what you paid for Sekera in the first place. Adding a 1st rnd pick and as yet undefined prospects/picks is my way of freely admitting Sekera is worth a lot.

If you look to be too far out of the race, will your GM admit it to restock? If so, what type of return do you need to make your team better, long-term? I assume you would want a nearly ready prospect or more picks in addition to the above, but I honestly don't know your needs. (Our off the table prospects are Mueller, Hertl and Nieto. Other than that, would consider most) What would it take, or is Sekera a non-starter?

As has been mentioned, the future of the season (and likely franchise) might hinge on this upcoming road trip. If things go well, Sekera is of course off the table, if things go poorly, fire sale and nearly everyone is available (hopefully). Sekera has easily been our 1D (can be 1-3 on most every other team) and has earned a solid extension next season (obv depending on if he keeps it up).

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Thanks for the reply and analysis. I appreciate the hospitality. Hope you make the play-offs!

LOL... my stupid brain read this as "I appreciate the hostility". Which I thought would have been a cool sentiment -- we've got some pretty impressively creative ways of expressing our hostility in these parts.

--hank

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
LOL... my stupid brain read this as "I appreciate the hostility". Which I thought would have been a cool sentiment -- we've got some pretty impressively creative ways of expressing our hostility in these parts.

--hank

That is too funny. Glad I could lighten up your day.... :laugh:

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
As has been mentioned, the future of the season (and likely franchise) might hinge on this upcoming road trip. If things go well, Sekera is of course off the table, if things go poorly, fire sale and nearly everyone is available (hopefully). Sekera has easily been our 1D (can be 1-3 on most every other team) and has earned a solid extension next season (obv depending on if he keeps it up).

OK, looks like you guys are visiting us at the SharkTank the day before the TDL. Lets get some beers after the game with our respective GMs and see if there is a deal to be made :handclap:

Seriously, good luck over the next stretch. Hope you win every game except the one here in San Jose.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Let's, for arguments sake, say that they come back from California healthy and unhappy with 0 points. So they're sellers. Who do they move? Who should they move? Options:

Ruutu - His value is only increasing, and his contract could be better spent elsewhere. Like re-signing the players whose contracts are up.

Tlusty - It seems like last year was an aberration, and he may only top out as a 20/20 guy, while playing with Staal. Maybe some team gets conned into overpaying for him.

Hainsey - Perfect rental for some playoff team. No experience, but he's been around the block, has had a solid year, a small cap hit, and won't hamstring any team who only wants him around for a run. Probably has great value.

Ward - Probably really needs a fresh start. Whether or not Khudobin is the guy, that contract is just massive. He'll probably not bring much at all, especially if Miller and maybe Reimer is on the move, but just freeing up the space will make a difference.

Gerbe - Might not have much value, but the tiny contract could bring in some bidders.

Malhotra - Unlikely, but you never know. Has SCF experience, and wears an A. Could be a solid character depth add for some team.

Harrison - Let's be honest, he really shouldn't be dressing with the way he's played this year. But some team might want him and his small contract.

Dwyer, Bowman, Nash, Dvorak, Komisarek, Bellemore - Probably have little to no value, and little to no interest in them.

Semin, Sekera, Liles, Skinner - Probably won't be moved.

Staals, Faulk - Very unlikely to be moved.

Dec 30, 2013
The deadline will be mere hours away.

We will be thinking "Well, at least JR didn't make any bad moves."

But then with not even an hour to spare, it is announced that The Carolina Hurricanes have traded their 2014 1st and 2015 2nd for an over-the-hill rental.

We will then miss the playoffs by one point.

The rental player will not re-sign with us.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
We could really use to resign hainsey, not trade him. He's more valuable than whatever he's worth in trade.

Hainsey's been an average to slightly above average defenseman on non playoff teams for 650+ NHL games. He is the definition of a non-winner. Forgive me if I fail to see the glaring need to re-sign him and not grab a decent pick or a player for him. Or did we not learn our lesson from Gleason and Ruutu?

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I'll eat my hat if we do anything notable at the trade deadline. It ain't over until it's over for JR.

That's who I feel. Why even wonder what's going to go down. Rutherford will do nothing of meaning. But I do predict we lose Malhotra, Gerbe, Hainsey and Khudobin to free agency, and get nothing in return...except to keep Ruutu and Ward.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hainsey's been an average to slightly above average defenseman on non playoff teams for 650+ NHL games. He is the definition of a non-winner. Forgive me if I fail to see the glaring need to re-sign him and not grab a decent pick or a player for him. Or did we not learn our lesson from Gleason and Ruutu?

I'm not trying to convince anyone better than he is, but he's a lot better than Gleason. He's a mobile, well sized, experienced d who has been a solidifying player. We don't have a replacement. He's better than everyone aside from sekera and Faulk. Across the league he might not be a stud, but he's been a pretty positive addition. You got two good defenseman coming this off season, one to replace him and another to improve what we have then fine. Otherwise I think we're nuts to let go of something we need and can't easily replace, especially for a second round pick we won't know about for three years.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
As Bleedgreen pointed out, replacement value is just as important as the assets coming back... at least if an organization is interested in ever making the playoffs regularly.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Idk what they're going to do, large, medium, small, nothing.....so many issues, but an complete overhaul? nah....

I think the organization would get a lot of traction from having Rutherford call a press conference, read a nice prepared speech and step down, assuming an ownership role and not be hovering around. it would buy them a lot of time. however, probably nothing will happen and Rutherford will blame the players. Muller and ? will probably be let go after the season.

not the big guns but for now:
Ruutu-tough one for me/keep
Tlusty-keep
Gerbe-keep
Dwyer-move
Nash-move
Bowman-move
Malhotra-keep
Dvorak-retire

Sek-air-a-keep
Hainsey-keep
Liles-keep
Bellmore-keep/move
Harrison-move

Ward (kind of a tough one too) but-move. ??Edmonton for Bryzgalov, Winnipeg for Pavelec??

Although I'd make huge moves :laugh:, realistically, for now they still just need a top six winger, a good center and another defenseman. and reliable goaltending. Not a "blow-up".

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
not the big guns but for now:
Ruutu-tough one for me/keep
Tlusty-keep
Gerbe-keep
Dwyer-move
Nash-move
Bowman-move
Malhotra-keep
Dvorak-retire

Sek-air-a-keep
Hainsey-keep
Liles-keep
Bellmore-keep/move
Harrison-move

Ward (kind of a tough one too) but-move. ??Edmonton for Bryzgalov, Winnipeg for Pavelec??

Although I'd make huge moves :laugh:, realistically, for now they still just need a top six winger, a good center and another defenseman. and reliable goaltending. Not a "blow-up".

Ruutu- keep, we need a player like him, shouldn't have let Jussi go
Tlusty-if the price is right
Gerbe-keep
Dwyer - keep, important @pk, but should be 4th liner thou
Nash-move
Bowman-move
Malhotra-keep
Dvorak-retire/move

Sek-air-a-keep
Hainsey-keep
Liles-keep
Bellmore-keep/move
Harrison-move
Ward - keep
We should move Rask if some prospect needs to go.

Today's the first time This season when I feel that we're not gonna make playoffs

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
absolutely agree about Jussi Jonister, and his contract was just fine, but it seems there were problems with Muller or Jussi wanted out or something. not Rutherford's style anyway, he likes his 'good old boys'. this team being built around Staal (grinder, ala mode) doesn't play a skill game but a priority 'should' be finding a guy for Semin IMO. mish mash of players with no sense of identity at all.

Dwyer is the epitome of zoom around fast and do nothing. but yeah, he doesn't hurt and is cheap enough I guess.

Rask? sure. not really interested in any prospect tbh besides Murphy, Lindholm and Tolchinsky maybe.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'm not trying to convince anyone better than he is, but he's a lot better than Gleason. He's a mobile, well sized, experienced d who has been a solidifying player. We don't have a replacement. He's better than everyone aside from sekera and Faulk. Across the league he might not be a stud, but he's been a pretty positive addition. You got two good defenseman coming this off season, one to replace him and another to improve what we have then fine. Otherwise I think we're nuts to let go of something we need and can't easily replace, especially for a second round pick we won't know about for three years.

Not letting go of something we needed and couldn't easily replace is how they wound up on the hook for Gleason and Ruutu. And we don't even know if Hainsey wants to stay. At this point in his career I think he'd rather go to a perennial playoff team as a #6 rather than roll the dice on missing the playoffs for the entirety of his career. Unless he REALLY enjoys golf.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Skinner?

I have no idea about the direction they want to go but I've waffled on Skinner for some time and think I'd be shopping the guy hard right now. he's a talented skater with a deceiving release but to me he's strictly a one man show who just doesn't mesh with anyone else. so he scored a bunch for a month at an unsustainable shooting percentage but if he's not scoring every game, what exactly does the guy contribute for almost $6 million a year?
last game he played under 11 minutes, 5 on the useless PP.

he's young and maybe another coach could straighten the kid out.
I can't stand his flopping around, throwing his stick into the rafters, looking at the ref, lazy line changing, puck hogging, cheating, crappy board work, defensive liability, refusing to take a hit to make a play, theatrical antics any longer.

he may bring a very good return from a team like LA for instance or Vancouver, that want more offence.
he is just one of those players I've come to dislike. trading his ass could be the key to improving this team quickly.

Skinner for Kesler and Mike Santorelli. there's your center and scoring winger. never happen.....discuss.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
IMO, trading Skinner would be about the dumbest thing Rutherford could do. The team can't score and has no skill, so trade a 21 yo who is the best scorer and one of the most skilled because he isn't a finished product at all of 21?

And since when is Santorelli considered a "scoring winger"? Yes, he's scored 10 goals this year, but he is 28 and has 43 career goals.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Yeah, trade the only pure scorer we haven't had in a looooong time since maybe shanahan and give props to the man who buries him in a third line and plays him 11 minutes in a must-win game.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Didn't we basically draft Lindholm with the hopes he would mesh well with Skinner? Let's let him develop before we make a call on Skinner. Skinner's never had a true playmaker to play with.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Didn't we basically draft Lindholm with the hopes he would mesh well with Skinner? Let's let him develop before we make a call on Skinner. Skinner's never had a true playmaker to play with.

And even though Skinner hasn't scored much (with Lindholm), the two seemed to be developing some chemistry. If the Canes stink it up on this road trip, I'd like to see them call up Boychuk and put a 3rd line of Skinner-Lindholm-Boychuk out there and let them play. Would struggle a bit defensively, but let'm learn on the job and I think they could be effective offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad