Speculation: 2013-2014 Hurricanes Trade Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Surprised there hasn't been any mention here of St. Louis' supposed request for a trade. Talk about an instant injection of offense. Wonder what the cost would be.... Tampa probably needs defense.

Apparently Boomer is now saying that the proposed deal IS Callahan for St. Louis. I must say, I am quite surprised by this (if there is any truth to it and Boomer isn't just trolling everyone)

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Surprised there hasn't been any mention here of St. Louis' supposed request for a trade. Talk about an instant injection of offense. Wonder what the cost would be.... Tampa probably needs defense.

St. Louis never struck me as the petty type. He wants a trade from an organization he's won a cup at, is the captain of, and who gave him a shot when no one else would because the GM didn't pick him for his All-Star team? Get over yourself bud, you're from Canada and you're 37 years old. What makes it worse is he actually got on the team and was probably their worst forward.

I respect the hell out of everything he's done and couldn't think of a negative thing to say about him until basically this moment so it's not like this would ever change my overall opinion of him. Just a bit disappointing I guess. I wonder if the Vinny buyout also rubbed him the wrong way? This could be a culmination of TB turning into an a all Yzerman team (with one important exception).

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I can see his point of view though. I'm not sure I'd want to stick it out with my current NHL team if my own GM decided not to select me for the national team. That would be a pretty tough pill to swallow. However, of course, it's also Canada we're talking about here.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I can see his point of view though. I'm not sure I'd want to stick it out with my current NHL team if my own GM decided not to select me for the national team. That would be a pretty tough pill to swallow. However, of course, it's also Canada we're talking about here.

I'm not saying that I don't see where he's coming from. I'd be pissed too. Not enough to lower my paycheck (NYC has a tax on top of the state income tax, FL has no state income tax), and leave a second place team with one of the 5 best players in the world as my center (and I'm the beloved captain to boot). I thinks a lot for just his pride being hurt is all I'm getting at. If he's still pissed about the Vinny buyout and there are other underlying issues with management I think it would make a lot more sense.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Losing some respect for MSL if this is true tbh.

It's not like his snub was egregious, he SHOULD have been on the team, yes, but it wasn't a Semin/Ryan level snub.

Why leave a team you've played for for 12 years that was the team that believed in you to give you a shot when no one else did? Why leave a team that's given you a letter for quite some time? Why leave a fan base where you're universally adored? Why leave a team where you're going to spend the rest of your career feeding the best goal scorer in the world?

As far as I know, and I may be wrong, it's not as though Yzerman is the sole reason he didn't make the team. I still like MSL, but I thought he was better than this.

wolfofthesteppes

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Magic Theater
Agreed with CMP unless something else is going on it seems quite odd. Also, this would be another nail in the coffin of NHL participation in the Olympics if true.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Agreed with CMP unless something else is going on it seems quite odd. Also, this would be another nail in the coffin of NHL participation in the Olympics if true.

As I eluded to earlier, the Vinny buyout plus the increased youth on the team who all came up through the current coach might be getting to him. It's possible he feels like an outsider on his own team. I'm saying that's a possibility and that would be wild speculation at best. Just the Olympic snub couldn't be enough for him to demand a trade based on the MSL I've watched for 15 or so years. If it is, then yeah that's a ****** thing to do to the rest of the team and the fans.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
As I eluded to earlier, the Vinny buyout plus the increased youth on the team who all came up through the current coach might be getting to him. It's possible he feels like an outsider on his own team. I'm saying that's a possibility and that would be wild speculation at best. Just the Olympic snub couldn't be enough for him to demand a trade based on the MSL I've watched for 15 or so years. If it is, then yeah that's a ****** thing to do to the rest of the team and the fans.

I would also be very surprised if it was something as minor as the Olympic snub as that doesn't fit the mold (at least in my mind) of the guy.

Probably not a popular opinion among others, but if he did ask to be traded, I personally wouldn't look any worse on him no matter what the reason (same way I wasn't pissed at Whitney for not waiving his NTC). He puts a TON of work into preparing for every season and at this point in his life/career, if he's not happy where he is at (for whatever reason), then he should try to make a change. I might think differently if it was a guy that got a huge contract, then coasted, but that's not the case here.

We've seen the flipside with countless other NHL players as teams have no problem what-so-ever shipping a player out via trade or buyout if they feel said player is no longer part of the plan. They treat it as a business and move that player. I wouldn't feel any differently about St. Louis if he tried to do the same. Anyhow, will be interesting to see how this plays out. I honestly never thought I'd see St. Louis go anywhere.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Employees don't leave companies -- they leave bosses.

There is *nothing* as demotivating as feeling like your boss doesn't believe in you -- and it's true in every career. Even pro sports. Maybe especially pro sports.

I can see MSL's position here. He feels like he's given unquestioning loyalty to the Bolts, and now he feels like something's changed there. It happens.

--hank

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Except Yzerman was doing what any good manager does - solicit the opinions of the "lower management" as to what players should be taken. MSL was literally on zero lists presented to Yzerman.

There's a give and take that MSL *should* understand. Yes the last word was Yzerman's, but he wasn't the only guy in the room. AND not being picked initially certainly doesn't imply that Yzerman doesn't believe in him; it simply means that Yzerman et. al believed there were 13 better forwards from Canada.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm having a hard time believing any of it. I think is probably coming more out of ny than Tampa. I'd be surprised he said it all, and even if he did it was likely just blow up that is likely over. Only if he hates his coach would I believe this. He and Stamkos are great together, they're a team moving up and finally have a good goalie. He has no reason to leave unless it's the coach, and Yzerman has already said hell no to trading him.

This may be based purely in who sather is trying to reel in with Callahan. Larry Brooks has his fingerprints on some of this, and I have no respect for him. I've seen him read between the lines to create untruths before.

Yzerman seemed legitimately upset having to tell msl he didn't make it. Yzerman isn't the problem, and he won't voluntarily trade him.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Lol at the people saying they're disappointed in him or thought he was better. We don't know the whole story behind it or if any of its even true so why judge?

Reading comprehension is your friend!

Losing some respect for MSL if this is true tbh.

As far as I know, and I may be wrong, it's not as though Yzerman is the sole reason he didn't make the team. I still like MSL, but I thought he was better than this.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Except Yzerman was doing what any good manager does - solicit the opinions of the "lower management" as to what players should be taken. MSL was literally on zero lists presented to Yzerman.

There's a give and take that MSL *should* understand. Yes the last word was Yzerman's, but he wasn't the only guy in the room. AND not being picked initially certainly doesn't imply that Yzerman doesn't believe in him; it simply means that Yzerman et. al believed there were 13 better forwards from Canada.

Agreed.

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
To me, a GM has to be allowed to make what might seem like eccentric or sub-optimal picks. Otherwise, why even have a GM? Why not just do a vote with the media or something. It's like the difference between Godard and the Hollywood studio system, if you will, or Xi Jinping and the POTUS (JOKE).

So I agree that Yzerman did well in picking those whom he thought would make the best team. And it obviously gave results. Not like St. Louis lit it up during the tournament, either.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
So IF this is all true concerning Marty wanting a trade out of Tampa, is it reasonable to wonder if maybe Stevie Y extends an invite to Marty after Stamkos' prognosis in order to make Marty happy and keep him in Tampa?

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
so apart from Semin who isn't 100% but can still play, they seem to be a relatively healthy team. they have to win about 20 or so games, most on the road, down the stretch to make the playoffs.

Muller and the other coaches have had plenty of time to come up with a plan.

goal is o.k. if Ward comes through and the defense is good enough.

they need another center and a top six winger.

can Skinner manage to play with anyone else on this team effectively?

they have some assets they can move and some money they can spend.

during the next week and a half will Rutherford do something to help this group into the post-season??

*Crickets*....:crossfing

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
they have some assets they can move and some money they can spend.

during the next week and a half will Rutherford do something to help this group into the post-season??

The deadline is March 5th, so if I was GM, I'd wait until this road trip (or at least most of it) is over before making any move. This is a very tough road trip and if the Canes do poorly on it, their chances of making the playoffs will be slim and no way Rutherford should be buying in that case. If they do well on the trip, then JR can consider buying, but even then, I can't see him doing much other than maybe a 3C or scoring winger.

After a few busts, JR giving away assets/picks in trades, and the Jordan Staal trade, the Canes have very little depth and really need the picks/prospects for long term success, so I'm hoping he does NOT buy unless they have a true chance to make it.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
The deadline is March 5th, so if I was GM, I'd wait until this road trip (or at least most of it) is over before making any move. This is a very tough road trip and if the Canes do poorly on it, their chances of making the playoffs will be slim and no way Rutherford should be buying in that case. If they do well on the trip, then JR can consider buying, but even then, I can't see him doing much other than maybe a 3C or scoring winger.

After a few busts, JR giving away assets/picks in trades, and the Jordan Staal trade, the Canes have very little depth and really need the picks/prospects for long term success, so I'm hoping he does NOT buy unless they have a true chance to make it.

I guess, but some kind of plan must be formulated in any event you would think. there are many ways to look at it though. from a business pov I have no idea how the owners view everything nor how the books look. the "long term success" of the team is dependant on fan support but fan support seems to be pretty consistent regardless of whatever happens. therefore, I suppose, the vast majority or casual fans though disappointed, may be satisfied with just having an NHL hockey team. winning, being a bonus for everyone. not sure if that's a good way of looking at it "long term" however.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013

Sharks fan coming in peace (hoping to leave in one piece, too). Know you guys are on the bubble, not sure if you will be buyers or sellers. On the chance that you choose to use the TDL as an opportunity to build some depth in future, I come asking you about Sekera.

He was a great addition for you (think you won that one). Our Sharks have a gaping hole at LHD for our second pairing. Sekera would greatly improve our chances at the cup, but I understand if you don't want to move him in the slightest. My thought was to center a trade around:

Sekera for Kennedy (top 9 winger, 2.35 M cap) + Irwin (3rd pair roster LHD @ 1M) + 1st + ??

The above is a starting point. Irwin + Kennedy both have same contract length as Sekera, so they would fill some of the void for next year. Combined worth of the two is about what you paid for Sekera in the first place. Adding a 1st rnd pick and as yet undefined prospects/picks is my way of freely admitting Sekera is worth a lot.

If you look to be too far out of the race, will your GM admit it to restock? If so, what type of return do you need to make your team better, long-term? I assume you would want a nearly ready prospect or more picks in addition to the above, but I honestly don't know your needs. (Our off the table prospects are Mueller, Hertl and Nieto. Other than that, would consider most) What would it take, or is Sekera a non-starter?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I would hope Sekera would be a non-starter, given how well he's performed with Faulk.

jstaal

go canes go
Apr 14, 2009
mass
hmm

20-5 to make playoffs.... They are only 3 points out... 16-9... depending on what other teams do...

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I would hope Sekera would be a non-starter, given how well he's performed with Faulk.

This was our consensus over on the Sharks board, as well. But our need for a legit top 4left handed puck mover is having us grasp at straws (OK, having me grasp at them on behalf of my fellow fan). If anything changes in next seven days, holler.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Sharks fan coming in peace (hoping to leave in one piece, too). Know you guys are on the bubble, not sure if you will be buyers or sellers. On the chance that you choose to use the TDL as an opportunity to build some depth in future, I come asking you about Sekera.

The Canes defense is still weak and really, Sekera, Faulk and Hainsey (who is a UFA) are really the only top 4 guys they have. If Hainsey goes elsewhere in the offseason and the Canes trade Sekera, they are hosed. Especially with how well he's played so I doubt they'd even consider that traded. Yes, they didn't pay that much for him, but he's worth a heck of a lot more for the Canes than what they gave up.

Canes will not likely go into a full blown rebuild mode, especially with guys like the Staals, Ward, and Semin in the prime of their career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce