Speculation: 2013-2014 Hurricanes Trade Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Nucks are looking for basically a younger replacement at center. Just for giggles, what would we think of kesler for jstaal? I'm not talking like its realistic, just hypothetically.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Who do you guys think is the next Seguin? Young player being badly utilized and could be available?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Not sure I see a point in doing that.

Depends what you think of jstaal so far. If you're not big into advanced stats you might be underwhelmed. I think kesler would be a more aggressive and noticeable offensive player without sacrificing defense. He's risky cause he's older and banged up. If you had to pick one for one game I'd have a hard time not taking kesler.

I'm not saying I'm even for this, just curious what others think.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'd rather trade Semin for Kesler than Jordan if we were to trade for him.

Then move Ward for a winger.

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
I wish we could find ourselves a Justin Williams situation... a good player that is out injured and his team wants a warm body now to make a playoff run and so said player becomes expendable. Not sure if there is a situation that fits that now, but I would love to upgrade this team so we can actually make the playoffs again this decade.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
there are ways but no, just keep dumpster diving and save the money. they don't need to spend $5 million on a guy of Kesler's caliber. team's just fine....

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I guess you both missed the part where i said we're probably not in on him. I was just wondering what kind of package we have to offer.

Edit: How can we afford him? He only makes $5M for the next two seasons. Find a way to move Ruutu for anything and boom theres your space.

Sorry, I closed HFBoards to watch Dexter. I didn't necessarily mean "afford" from a strict cap situation, but more of affording to spend that much more for a player that either results in A) one of he or the Staals not playing at center or B) a third line center making $5M or $6M depending on who you move.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Jeff Skinner, Jiri Tlusty and Viktor Rask

for

Roman Josi and Colin Wilson

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Jeff Skinner, Jiri Tlusty and Viktor Rask

for

Roman Josi and Colin Wilson

I won't weigh on the proposal other than to say that I have every confidence that in three or four years, Colin Wilson will be as respected as a guy like Callahan is now. Trotz is suffocating him in his system and a guy like Mike Fisher basically took his role. Talk about a significant upgrade for a third line center. He'd battle Jordan admirably and he's rumored to be on the block. Josi is probably as untouchable to them as Faulk is to us, especially on what will be a sweetheart of a deal in the near future.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
tumblr_llem3pJEWx1qi4v07o1_500.gif

EDIT: I don't actually think this is going to happen. I think we're going to like our group right onto their jetskis in April.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Hainsey will be the first and one of the few players traded. We don't need guys who fight like that on this team. Does not fit the pansy team image. He's not a Candy Cane like the rest of this roster. JR is a master at assembling a roster full of *******!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Hainsey will be the first and one of the few players traded. We don't need guys who fight like that on this team. Does not fit the pansy team image. He's not a Candy Cane like the rest of this roster. JR is a master at assembling a roster full of *******!

Hainsey was auditioning for his inevitable trade to the Bruins. He knew they wouldn't want him with the 12 PIMs he had on the season going into last night and they certainly weren't going to be impressed by his 2 fights in the last 4 years.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Thoughts on Kesler? I know we're probably not in on him, but damn hes one of my favorite players and it would be sick to see him on the team. Apparently Vancouver is asking for a 1st + Roster player + Prospect.

How the... what the...

Nucks are looking for basically a younger replacement at center. Just for giggles, what would we think of kesler for jstaal? I'm not talking like its realistic, just hypothetically.

If ever I needed a reason to be done with a team, trading anyone for Kesler would be it.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Decent player, zero respect for him. Carries himself like a piece of **** and dives more than '12 Skinner. Like I said with the Olympics, I liked that we had him, and I thought he was one of the more consistent players we had, but I wouldn't want him in Carolina out of principle. Since I'm not an actual GM, I can make irrational decisions like that :)

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Trade Ward IF you can find a taker. But no sane GM is going to take on that contract without the Canes retaining some of it.

And you HAVE to get Khudobin signed immediately. I think he wants to know he's the #1 going into a new contract.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Trade Ward IF you can find a taker. But no sane GM is going to take on that contract without the Canes retaining some of it.

And you HAVE to get Khudobin signed immediately. I think he wants to know he's the #1 going into a new contract.

I hear Calgary has tons of cap room, is unsettled in net, and their team president said as recently as 3 months ago Cam Ward should start for Team Canada. Ward for Backlund :sarcasm:

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I don't think the "return" is that huge of a deal. Trading Ward is more about unloading a terrible contract than anything. Khudobin is the better goalie, and can likely be signed for less than $3.5m per. Hal of what Ward makes. Getting something useful in return, is gravy. But getting rid of that entire contract without having to eat part of it, is crucial. And teams like Calgary aren't going to deal for Ward until after the season.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I don't think the "return" is that huge of a deal. Trading Ward is more about unloading a terrible contract than anything. Khudobin is the better goalie, and can likely be signed for less than $3.5m per. Hal of what Ward makes. Getting something useful in return, is gravy. But getting rid of that entire contract without having to eat part of it, is crucial. And teams like Calgary aren't going to deal for Ward until after the season.

I can't imagine anyone with aspirations of winning in the playoff would have any interest in Ward.

Blown Away

Apr 23, 2013
I think Canes would have to eat part of Ward's contract OR take someone else's bad deal coming back.

At this point it's probably in the best interests of Cam and the Canes to part ways. Ward gets a fresh start. The Canes get some cap space. Any useful assets obtained for Ward would be a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->