Speculation: 2013-2014 Hurricanes Trade Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Yeah, trade the only pure scorer we haven't had in a looooong time since maybe shanahan and give props to the man who buries him in a third line and plays him 11 minutes in a must-win game.

I don't think rocky will ever be guilty of giving Muller props.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Dwyer is the epitome of zoom around fast and do nothing. but yeah, he doesn't hurt and is cheap enough I guess.

I realize who I'm quoting here, but....what? :huh: You realize there are necessary roles outside of high skill goal scorers, right?

Just got to your post about Skinner, don't think I need to reply any more.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
And even though Skinner hasn't scored much (with Lindholm), the two seemed to be developing some chemistry. If the Canes stink it up on this road trip, I'd like to see them call up Boychuk and put a 3rd line of Skinner-Lindholm-Boychuk out there and let them play. Would struggle a bit defensively, but let'm learn on the job and I think they could be effective offensively.

If by struggle defensively you mean be the worst defensive line I've ever seen....

Not that it would be a terrible idea if it's tank time. That would be a fun line to watch in the offensive zone.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If by struggle defensively you mean be the worst defensive line I've ever seen....

They'd be poor defensively fo sure, but don't know if I'd go that far. :laugh: Lindholm looks pretty responsible defensively and they'd be going against weaker competition.

Not that it would be a terrible idea if it's tank time. That would be a fun line to watch in the offensive zone.

Yeah, I was more suggesting it if it was clear they weren't going to make the playoffs. Not even tank time (as the Canes never do that), more just "we ain't gonna make it, so who cares" time. :laugh:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
They'd be poor defensively fo sure, but don't know if I'd go that far. :laugh: Lindholm looks pretty responsible defensively and they'd be going against weaker competition.

Yeah, I was more suggesting it if it was clear they weren't going to make the playoffs. Not even tank time (as the Canes never do that), more just "we ain't gonna make it, so who cares" time. :laugh:

At some point those two (Skinner/Lindholm) have to click. It's absolutely imperative to the long term success of this franchise.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Clearly the solution is to trade Ward and Tlusty for Duchene and Giguere. Salaries work out about the same.

It was a "no brainer" for the Colorado GM in NHL14, and it was so bad for Carolina, my GM reputation dropped. Therefore, it's (at the very least) a fair deal in real life.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Lindholm has definitely looked miles better than he did early in the season. I feel like he should have been in the AHL for the first half of the season, but now he's a solid third line option. Similar to Justin Faulk's rookie year. Dvorak on the other hand has shown his age, and just can't keep up anymore.

Skinner // Eric // Lindholm
Gerbe // Jordan // Semin
Tlusty // Nash // Ruutu
Bowman // Malhotra // Dwyer

If Ruutu or Skinner or Lindholm could play center, I'd stick those three together on the 3rd line. But the first two haven't been given the opportunity in that slot and the last has still been over his head in the middle.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Clearly the solution is to trade Ward and Tlusty for Duchene and Giguere. Salaries work out about the same.

It was a "no brainer" for the Colorado GM in NHL14, and it was so bad for Carolina, my GM reputation dropped. Therefore, it's (at the very least) a fair deal in real life.

You know, now I want to play NHL14 Be a GM again.

But then I'll get on there, rage at the low salary cap preventing me from building a solid contender, and then quit again.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I've literally never had an issue with the salary cap in NHL Be a GM Mode, and I've got a team with 5 stars for offense and 4.5 for D and goaltending.

You're just not doing it right...

My current roster:

Drouin (89 overall) - Mackinnon (88) - Kucherov (91)
Tarasenko (84) - Nugent-Hopkins (85) - Ryan (87)
Nieto (77) - Colborne (82) - Johansen (85)
M. Martin (78) - Monahan (79) - Ryder (80)
Shinkaruk (69)
Horvat (65)

Ekman-Larsson (86) - Jones (87)
Vlasic (84) - McBain (85 lol)
Forbort (77) - Greene (81)
Komisarek (76)

Quick (89)
Campbell (80)

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Unpopular opinion alert:

What's Anton Khudobin's trade value is right now?

Let me say first, that I would strongly prefer Khudobin to be re-signed and at least become the 1b option to Cam Ward. I'd love to see Ward's albatross of a contract moved so his cap hit could be better spent on a 3rd line C or scoring winger, but that's probably not at all possible. Trading Ward would require an equally ugly contract coming back, so I'd say that Wardo is the de-facto starter for the duration of his deal.

With that out of the way-Khudobin clearly has outplayed Ward this year, and he's certainly made his case for being a "1" goaltender. He'll certainly be looking for a significant raise from the $800k he's making now, and he's earned it. I'd imagine any new deal would be in the $3M a year range, and that's a price tag that I would not want to pay for the Anton plus Wardo's deal.

So unless JR is willing to shell out ~$9M combined for the goalie position next year, the team is at an impasse. If Khudobin were to be made available (in my opinion), he may be as hot a commodity as Miller. I also believe that Khudobin is in fact on the right side of 30yrs old as well.

So, in my hopes, JR has the conversation with Anton's agent in the very near future to see what his client is looking for next year. Based off of that and the unlikely prospect of trading Cam Ward, what kind of return do you think Khudobin could fetch if he were to be dangled as trade bait?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I've literally never had an issue with the salary cap in NHL Be a GM Mode, and I've got a team with 5 stars for offense and 4.5 for D and goaltending.

You're just not doing it right...

My current roster:

Drouin (89 overall) - Mackinnon (88) - Kucherov (91)
Tarasenko (84) - Nugent-Hopkins (85) - Ryan (87)
Nieto (77) - Colborne (82) - Johansen (85)
M. Martin (78) - Monahan (79) - Ryder (80)
Shinkaruk (69)
Horvat (65)

Ekman-Larsson (86) - Jones (87)
Vlasic (84) - McBain (85 lol)
Forbort (77) - Greene (81)
Komisarek (76)

Quick (89)
Campbell (80)

I'm in my third year and got this as the Canes:

Vanek//Eric//Semin
Skinner//Jordan//Lindholm
Stålberg//Pirri//Callahan
Bowman//Malhotra//Dwyer

Shattenkirk//Faulk
Fowler//Hainsey
Harrison//Bellemore

Khudobin
Nabokov

I got about 3.5m in cap space IIRC, though it's annoying because where the cap is now in year 3, is still less than it's projected to be next year by itself. Had to cut ties with Sekera because he wanted 6.2m or something ridiculous also LOL worthy, was that in my first draft, Ekblad fell to me at #15 :laugh:

And, FWIW, IMO anyway, toiling with a very bad and inaccurate cap is still better than playing with no cap.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The difference between Anton and Miller (aside from the obvious gap in talent) is that one is an upcoming UFA. JR would only attempt to trade Anton if he's asking for too much. We know that and other GMs know that. Why would other GMs trade for him if he's going to hit FA where they can attempt to sign him for free?

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I had a long post typed out, but accidentally closed the tab.:help:

Anyways, I was elaborating on how I always pick teams with tons of free cap space and build a defense where the #6 has to be at least an 82 overall. But I quit with my NHL13 Avs team and started a new one when it got to the point when everybody wanted at least $5M in free agency because the cap was up to something like $110M.

I also don't remember the exact lines, but Thomas Vanek ended up being on my third line as well. That's basically when I decided that I needed to quit on that team and start a new one. But I never got very far onto that new team because NHL14 came out.

Anyways...I was going to try to do something productive this afternoon, but instead I've watched House of Cards and now I'm going to play NHL. Homework can wait. :laugh:

Last edited:

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Our D is clearly a joke. I really like Sekera- Faulk pairing but that combo's one that's more close to the elite second pairing than to dominate first pairing force. Ron Hainsey is pretty solid but he's more #5 than #3... Bellemore belongs to the last pairing and nothing else. Murphy is not answer to anything.

Our offense is not that bad especially if Staals and Semin rebounds. They will. If we trade for anything, it must be a D.

You cannot expect great results even with great offensive core like Skinner, EStaal, JStaal and Semin if you dress couple of second pairing guys, one third pairing veteran and pylons... That's the problem.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I know this isn't an NHL14 thread, but I have one more thing to post.

The Rangers traded for St. Louis as the first trade of the 2013 draft, but it didn't involve Callahan.:laugh:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I know this isn't an NHL14 thread, but I have one more thing to post.

The Rangers traded for St. Louis as the first trade of the 2013 draft, but it didn't involve Callahan.:laugh:

The Flames traded their 1st and Brodie for Brodeur in my other game :laugh:

Also, to whoever designs the rosters for these games, please, for the love of all that's holy, take Chris Pronger out of your games. I think it's safe to say he's done. I always forget to remove him and then he always inevitably scores a hat trick every time I play the Flyers.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm more annoyed at Tlusty being listed as a center. The guy can't win faceoffs for **** in the game. It was one of the reasons why I traded him.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The Flames traded their 1st and Brodie for Brodeur in my other game :laugh:

Also, to whoever designs the rosters for these games, please, for the love of all that's holy, take Chris Pronger out of your games. I think it's safe to say he's done. I always forget to remove him and then he always inevitably scores a hat trick every time I play the Flyers.

Haha same with Savard.

I did a fantasy draft, that team didn't start with the Canes roster. But still, I've never had problems with the cap even when I start with the Canes.

The key is NEVER give a gap contract. If someone's got 4.5 stars for potential but is only at an 81 overall when it's time to give them a new contract, give them 8 years $5 million.

By the end of the contract they might have a 90 but be paid like a 3rd liner depending on where the cap is.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
My Dallas opening night roster is as follows:

Eriksson(86)-Benn(88)-Cole(84)
MacArthur(83)-Filppula(85)-Clowe(82)
Char(78)-Eakin(81)-Chiasson(78)
Roussel(77)-Fiddler(78)-Wandell(77)

McDonagh(88)-Daley(85)
Goligoski(83)-Robidas(84)
Dillon(80)-Oleksiak(79)

Lehtonen(86)
Bachman(75)

****** group of forwards, but I ran low of cap space after offer-sheeting McDonagh to a large contract. Something like 8 years, 7 million/year. Scrambled around and missed out on Roy (who would have been cheaper than Filppula) since I had to dump some middling contracts first.

However, I did land all of Mantha, Duclair, Rychel, and Zadorov in the draft.

EDIT: Hmm, it automatically named McDonagh captain. I would normally agree with this, but I'll have to change it to Benn. McDonagh can certainly have an A though, and Eriksson the other.

Last edited:

MD

Dec 1, 2009
NC
Thoughts on Kesler? I know we're probably not in on him, but damn hes one of my favorite players and it would be sick to see him on the team. Apparently Vancouver is asking for a 1st + Roster player + Prospect.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Thoughts on Kesler? I know we're probably not in on him, but damn hes one of my favorite players and it would be sick to see him on the team. Apparently Vancouver is asking for a 1st + Roster player + Prospect.

Where exactly would we put him in we were to acquire him? And how exactly would we afford to pay him?

MD

Dec 1, 2009
NC
I guess you both missed the part where i said we're probably not in on him. I was just wondering what kind of package we have to offer.

Edit: How can we afford him? He only makes $5M for the next two seasons. Find a way to move Ruutu for anything and boom theres your space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad