Speculation: 2013-2014 Hurricanes Trade Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
there are only two guys who 'seem' to fit (mostly) the criteria in those tweets. Ruutu and Semin.

IF it's Carolina...........and if there is anything to those tweets at all.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I wouldn't even necessarily say Semin fits that much being that he's extended for 4 more years at a higher pay level then Callahan's asking.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I wouldn't even necessarily say Semin fits that much being that he's extended for 4 more years at a higher pay level then Callahan's asking.

yes, the only tidbit was not a long contract. all others fit. (does this guy think Semin's contract is a long term?)

Semin nor Ruutu makes sense really but they are the only two on the Canes. Ruutu plus...? again, if this has anything to do with the Canes.

EDIT: all things considered, I can see them moving Semin for Callahan.
and Ruutu in a deal for him. I hope they don't dump Murphy in that though. anyway....yeah.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
this has been smelling like a Staal recruitment since the start. They talking to him is not tampering. Him saying he is going there creates the situation reported where Callahan's agent speaks with one team.

Ruutu for Callahan plus a conditional 2nd sounds like something that could happen. His under contract for 2 more seasons.

Its better than nothing but its not good. Not too much for a player they would get anyway.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
this has been smelling like a Staal recruitment since the start. They talking to him is not tampering. Him saying he is going there creates the situation reported where Callahan's agent speaks with one team.

Ruutu for Callahan plus a conditional 2nd sounds like something that could happen. His under contract for 2 more seasons.

Its better than nothing but its not good. Not too much for a player they would get anyway.

If by some miracle we were getting Callahan for Ruutu, I can almost guarantee we'd be giving the Rags a pick, not the other way. Rental or not.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but in regards to Esiason's tweet about involved players leaving the Olympics healthy, it's worth noting that Callahan played against Ruutu yesterday.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If by some miracle we were getting Callahan for Ruutu, I can almost guarantee we'd be giving the Rags a pick, not the other way. Rental or not.

that's what I meant. and considering this deal is based on the idea Callahan is going there anyway, the conditional pick is a pretty solid likely hood.

cost of living being what it is in NC, Callahan may end up signing for something less than his NY demands as well.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Bringing in Callahan as a way to lure Staal? Well, then you're getting really up there in salary with tons of deals to be signed. Probably looking at the end of either Skinner or Semin here in that case.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
ryan bayda and marc-andre gragnani for callahan is my best offer, take it or leave it

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
9423522f08ca63d2419455c39e6ba12d.png

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
Well in no world does Tuomo Ruutu have "enough" points at 16 in 52 games, so I think we can safely assume it's not him.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
if Boomer is trustworthy, as Rangers fans believe him to be, then there can only be Semin and Ruutu on the Hurricanes that fit most of, but not all of, the tweets. so, it's them or not the Canes that are involved in this deal. seems pretty straight forward.
I can see JR doing either but most likely nothing but a smaller type deal tbh. the Marc Staal bit has/is/will always be there until one day he plays with his brothers I suppose.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
It seems almost certain that it's St. Louis. I don't know why Rangers fans would be upset, and I don't know why Tampa would trade him, and I don't know why he'd want a trade, but that's where the clues are pointing. And he hasn't been ruled out, and Boomer has been ruling people out left and right.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
There is no way it is St. Louis....Callahan and Marty are on two different planets when it comes to hockey ability.

Ditto my above point regarding Callahan and Ruutu.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We don't really have anyone who fits the description. Semin for Callahan wouldn't shock me from jr's pov. Cally is much more his type of player. Would think they would want something different and I don't think we would give semin up for a rental.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I have been looking over rosters of teams in the Atlantic with the criteria that it was an eastern team but not a Metro team and the fact that it's supposedly a "reunion" kind of deal. Tried to think outside the box a bit and came up with Mason Raymond. Links to the head coach. Having a decent season. Would be "upsetting" on paper for the Rangers.

Or, thinking about it from the reverse angle.... a reunion of players that have played together internationally with Kessel and Callahan.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
We don't really have anyone who fits the description. Semin for Callahan wouldn't shock me from jr's pov. Cally is much more his type of player. Would think they would want something different and I don't think we would give semin up for a rental.

With as quickly as they gave up on Gaborik, I think they've learned their lesson about high skill but somewhat enigmatic forwards eating up a majority of their budget. That team got significantly better by parting with Gaborik, oddly enough. Semin would fit their culture less than he fits ours.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Surprised there hasn't been any mention here of St. Louis' supposed request for a trade. Talk about an instant injection of offense. Wonder what the cost would be.... Tampa probably needs defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad