2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
FIRST PERIOD

MCI ran over an Admiral like a train runs over a rabbit that can't move.

Miller blasts it instead of trying to stickhandle, which makes me very happy.

Pack playing well so far, controlling the play.

Miller with a good chance.

Allen with a risky that almost cost a turnover near Lenevue.

Fast with nice skating in the offensive zone, pass to MCI along the blue line, but as usual he has trouble stopping the puck there. Barely kept it in right on the blue line. Then a hard, straight shot.

On the same shift, Bourque makes some nice moves, pass to MCI who shoots it hard. Again stopped, but this time was better than the first.

Kristo skates the puck into the offensive zone along the right board, but gets pick-pocketed as he tried to move to the center.

Nice glove save by Lenevue.

Allen with a good defensive play one on one, using both his body and the stick to prevent the Admiral from getting in position to get a shot.

SECOND PERIOD

O'Donnell fights Kurtz. The Admiral landed more punches, while OD got the bigger throws. Then they wrestled and Kurtz won the wrestling match.

Hughes with a very nice slide to break up a 2 on 1. Later on the shift takes a good shot.

Kristo with a good defensive play.

A series of shots by the Ads, but Lenevue stops all of them.

Eminger with a very nice move from the blue line to the crease, but Lenevue stops him.

Packers keep on taking penalties in the second. Not good, but the PK and defense in general has been very good.

THIRD PERIOD

Fast with a good hustle to cause an offensive zone turnover.

Miller taking my advice and stickhandling less, shooting more.

Admirals announcers keep trash talking the Pack as a horrible team that absolutely must be defeated and how it's got bad player blah blah blah... but the Pack has looked like the better team tonight so far.

Almost a 2 on 1 for the Pack, but Powe butchered the puck.

Pack third line created a couple of chances with a nice tic-tac-toe.

Lenevue robbed the Ads.

Miller with a nice spin-o-rama to create a shot for himself.

Hughes stickhandles too much, causing a turnover.

Lenevue isn't facing a lot of shots, but keeps coming through when called to duty. Missiaen would've given up 4 goals by now.

Johnson with a good defensive play, but the puck doesn't leave the Pack zone, and the Ads score on a redirection right in front of Lenevue. 1-0.

Pack pulled Lenevue, but couldn't even set up on the 6-on-5.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
FIRST PERIOD

MCI ran over an Admiral like a train runs over a rabbit that can't move.

Miller blasts it instead of trying to stickhandle, which makes me very happy.

Pack playing well so far, controlling the play.

Miller with a good chance.

Allen with a risky that almost cost a turnover near Lenevue.

Fast with nice skating in the offensive zone, pass to MCI along the blue line, but as usual he has trouble stopping the puck there. Barely kept it in right on the blue line. Then a hard, straight shot.

On the same shift, Bourque makes some nice moves, pass to MCI who shoots it hard. Again stopped, but this time was better than the first.

Kristo skates the puck into the offensive zone along the right board, but gets pick-pocketed as he tried to move to the center.

Nice glove save by Lenevue.

Allen with a good defensive play one on one, using both his body and the stick to prevent the Admiral from getting in position to get a shot.

SECOND PERIOD

O'Donnell fights Kurtz. The Admiral landed more punches, while OD got the bigger throws. Then they wrestled and Kurtz won the wrestling match.

Hughes with a very nice slide to break up a 2 on 1. Later on the shift takes a good shot.

Kristo with a good defensive play.

A series of shots by the Ads, but Lenevue stops all of them.

Eminger with a very nice move from the blue line to the crease, but Lenevue stops him.

Packers keep on taking penalties in the second. Not good, but the PK and defense in general has been very good.

THIRD PERIOD

Fast with a good hustle to cause an offensive zone turnover.

Miller taking my advice and stickhandling less, shooting more.

Admirals announcers keep trash talking the Pack as a horrible team that absolutely must be defeated and how it's got bad player blah blah blah... but the Pack has looked like the better team tonight so far.

Almost a 2 on 1 for the Pack, but Powe butchered the puck.

Pack third line created a couple of chances with a nice tic-tac-toe.

Lenevue robbed the Ads.

Miller with a nice spin-o-rama to create a shot for himself.

Hughes stickhandles too much, causing a turnover.

Lenevue isn't facing a lot of shots, but keeps coming through when called to duty. Missiaen would've given up 4 goals by now.

Johnson with a good defensive play, but the puck doesn't leave the Pack zone, and the Ads score on a redirection right in front of Lenevue. 1-0.

Pack pulled Lenevue, but couldn't even set up on the 6-on-5.

Sounds like a boring game.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Sounds like a boring game.

It kinda was...I was at the game. On the bright side our defense looked alright and jt Miller was by far the best player on the ice. He made some unbelievable passes to set up one timers that of course were screwed up by powe. Gibson was incredible for Norfolk also.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
HFD up 1-0 after 1. Lindberg with a beautiful shot/pass to Haley in front, who scores with a nice between the legs redirection.

Lindberg was the best player on the ice. Grumet-Morris looking good. Kristo shot wide on a breakaway. Miller is dynamic, but he had one or two bad turnovers - he HAS to cut those out. McIlrath looking okay (but definitely not ready yet), Allen his usual smooth self and Fast showing excellent two-way play. Johnson with a couple of terrible plays.

Hrivik with a goal less than a minute into the second. Johnson sprung him with a gorgeous diagonal pass from inside his blueline, hit him in stride entering the Norfolk zone, Hrivik skated in behind the D, and sniped it from the bottom of the left circle far side over the goalie's left shoulder and under the crossbar. Very pretty.

(EDIT: apparently Johnson's pass was to Hensick who hit him with a touch pass at the offensive blue line. Took a second for the cameraman to catch up to the pass and it must've happened then.)

Pack dominating in the second - we must be a quarter of the way in and the Admirals don't have a shot. Kristo hits a post. Hrivik looking really good - this is the guy I remember from the last two seasons.

Norfolk finally gets their first shot about 8:30 into the period. Pack would be up 3-0 or even 4-0, but Gibson is very good.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Hensick makes it 3-0 on a delayed penalty.

Miller going down the right wing, Borque goes to the net, Fast skates in, smartly following in Borque's wake while Borque pushes the D back, Miller passes to Fast who makes one of the most gorgeous passes I've EVER seen (not exaggerating), receiving the puck and in one motion swinging it behind his back and ahead on the left wing to Hensick streaking towards the net, Hensick shoots from nearly the same spot that Hrivik did, Gibson has no chance. If the highlights are up later, I HIGHLY recommend that you check it out.

Admirals pull Gibson - not because he's been bad, but to try to change momentum.

Miller is just trying to do a little too much.

McIlrath with a couple of good plays: an Admiral splits the D, but McIlrath with the classic move to dive and knock it off his stick. Then, on the subsequent play, he does a good job intercepting the puck in the defensive zone and taking it from D to O, setting up at the right point. Then another nice play a few shifts later where Nash misses on a pinch and McIlrath plays the 2-on-1 well, both eliminating the pass and forcing the attacker to shoot high.

The whole team was buzzing, but Hrivik and Fast in particular were absolutely dominant in that period.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hensick makes it 3-0 on a delayed penalty.

Miller going down the left right wing, Borque goes to the net, Fast skates in, smartly following in Borque's wake while Borque pushes the D back, Miller passes to Fast who makes one of the most gorgeous passes I've EVER seen (not exaggerating), receiving the puck and in one motion swinging it behind his back and ahead on the left wing to Hensick streaking towards the net, Hensick shoots from nearly the same spot that Hrivik did, Gibson has no chance. If the highlights are up later, I HIGHLY recommend that you check it out.

Admirals pull Gibson - not because he's been bad, but to try to change momentum.

Miller is just trying to do a little too much.

McIlrath with a couple of good plays: an Admiral splits the D, but McIlrath with the classic move to dive and knock it off his stick. Then, on the subsequent play, he does a good job intercepting the puck in the defensive zone and taking it from D to O, setting up at the right point.

That's what I like to hear. Hope he can round his game out and earn a low spot on the Rangers next year.

Punxrocknyc19*

any chance JT Miller gets called up again after the olympics for a game or two to see where is he at in his development?? or it will take a few more injuries for him to get called up again this season??

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
any chance JT Miller gets called up again after the olympics for a game or two to see where is he at in his development?? or it will take a few more injuries for him to get called up again this season??

I hope not. Every time he's called up it's obvious that he isn't ready.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Maybe, I'm not sure.

Physically, he's by far the most ready. He's stronger and sturdier than any of the other (legitimate) candidates at forward, but there's a bit of a conundrum with him. He plays his best game at center, where he is truly dynamic. But, he tries to do too much, Johnny Malkin style, and doesn't have the same vision that Lindberg does.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Not much to report so far in the third.

Whoops - O'Donnell takes a tripping penalty. Yikes - Haley puts the puck out of play and now Norfolk has a 2-man advantage. Darrell Powe with a nice veteran move falling on the puck to kill a good 10 seconds. One man gets back, but the Admirals score on the remaining 5-4. Sweet pass from Smith-Pelley in the right corner to Gagne down from the left point alone in front. Dov had no chance. Now 3-1.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The Admirals are definitely gaining momentum from that PP goal. I have to say, Rakell is pretty good. Grumet-Morris having to make more and tougher saves.

The Pack are also starting to get odd man rushes as Norfolk takes chances to try and tie the game. Powe and Hensick on a 2-on-1, but our old friend Steve Eminger breaks it up.

Gah. Aaron Johnson takes a cross-checking penalty and the Admirals go on the PP again with a little less than half a period to go.

Pack kill off the PP. Good individual plays by Hughes, Miller and McIlrath - all very similar, taking the puck away from an Admiral in the left corner, with increasing degrees of physicality. Hughes was slick, cutting in between two players, lifting a stick and getting the puck; Miller bodied the Admiral and took the puck away; and in McIlrath's case, he simply pushed the Norfolk player off the puck and took it. (If only McIlrath didn't fall down so much, I'd be a lot more bullish on him.)

Last edited:

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
I saw the Nor-Ads earlier this year against Binghamton. Lots of familiar names from the bigs: Yonkman, Steckel, Exelby, Parent, Stortini, and now Eminger. Etem was the best player on the ice.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Admirals pull their goalie with about 1:45 left in the game - but the Pack wind up controlling play for most of the remaining time. Good defensive plays by Miller, Bourque, Fast and McIlrath throughout. At one point, it was almost humorous watching 3 smurf-sized Admirals try to get the puck from McIlrath against the boards. He kept the puck in his skates and fended them off with both arms for a good 7-8 seconds.

Pack win 3-1. They played well. My three stars would be Fast, Hrivik and McIlrath. Lindberg, Miller and Bourque also with good games, Miller's Johnny Malkin moments aside.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I saw the Nor-Ads earlier this year against Binghamton. Lots of familiar names from the bigs: Yonkman, Steckel, Exelby, Parent, Stortini, and now Eminger. Etem was the best player on the ice.

Etem was just promoted, so he didn't play this weekend. The Admirals' announcers were lamenting his absence during their third period PPs.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Dagoon-Yeah, McLirath had two very good games against a team that suffocates offenses. Very confident with the puck, good on the PK, and using his size and stick very well.

Fast with a nice no look pass to Hesnick for his goal.

Kristo has made some really nice defensive plays this weekend. Taking the puck away very Datsyuk-like.

Raekell looks very good. Smith-Pelly too. If the Rangers are forced to trade anyone, I'd love either back.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Very glad to hear Hrivik is picking it up again. I'm still high on him. He skates pretty well but his size, strength and puck control make him an effective wall player.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Dagoon-Yeah, McLirath had two very good games against a team that suffocates offenses. Very confident with the puck, good on the PK, and using his size and stick very well.

Fast with a nice no look pass to Hesnick for his goal.

Kristo has made some really nice defensive plays this weekend. Taking the puck away very Datsyuk-like.

Raekell looks very good. Smith-Pelly too. If the Rangers are forced to trade anyone, I'd love either back.

All true. The major weaknesses I saw when he was up earlier this year were:

1) Timing. He goes for the pinch or the hit and sometimes just times it poorly.
2) Forwards going around him on the outside on the rush.

Watching him this weekend, he's doing much better on the former. The latter is still very concerning to me. It happens too often, and when it does, he almost always loses his footing when he makes the turn to keep up with the forward going by. He made many more good plays than bad this weekend, absolutely - but he won't be able to play in the NHL until he gets better at that second weakness.

Kristo was good (better yesterday I thought, despite hitting a post and missing on a breakaway today), but you may have had him confused with Fast (27 and 29) on a couple of those defensive plays. Not saying that Kristo was bad defensively, but the Datsyuk-like defensive plays that really stood out (that I remember anyway) were by Fast - one yesterday and two today.

Agreed about Rakell and Smith-Kelly, although if I have to pick, I think I go Rakell. Laganiere impressed me as well.

Very glad to hear Hrivik is picking it up again. I'm still high on him. He skates pretty well but his size, strength and puck control make him an effective wall player.
His game today was vintage - dangerous with the puck, active, good on the walls, good defensively and the snipe was a goalscorer's shot under the crossbar, far side, against one of the best goaltending prospects around. I have no idea what's been going on for the last several months (although it may have something to do with the quality of his linemates as he's been moved to the 3rd line and the Pack's bottom six is craptastic outside of him) because I've only been catching a period here and there for the last couple of months prior to this weekend, but tonight's game in particular restored my faith.

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Just to clear up my own question from last night, apparently Hrivik takes faceoffs for his line, but still plays left wing once the faceoff is over. I didn't see the center kicked out, so I'm assuming this is actually a designed play.

When Boyle is on wing every now and again he'll take a faceoff. Especially if Moore is thrown out.

Regardless sometimes that is the play necessary. Good find!

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
GAME NOTES

Yesterday I wrote that Beach needs to be benched and tonight he was in favor of Stamler.

Allen with a couple of nice defensive plays. While he still makes an occasional rookie mistake, he's developed into Hartford's best two-way defenseman. While MCI may have higher potential, Allen is closer to making the NHL.

Fast with a nice burst of speed with the puck around the Ad goal.

An Admiral tried to hit MCI, but just bounced off of him and went down.

Nash having a good first period defensively with multiple good plays. Getting sent down and being forced to play defense is good for Rick's development.

Dov with a good blocker save.

Hensick had a breakaway, but couldn't score.

Stortini takes a penalty. Dov stops a clean breakaway and a partial rebound.

SCORE: Lindberg took away the puck along the boards, shot it towards the net, Haley redirected it. 1-0

Miller turns over the puck in his own zone leading to the Ads crashing Dov's net.

SCORE: Hrivik on a partial breakaway after a long pass across the neutral zone. He blasts it hard upstairs and it's 2-0. Johnson and Nash with assists.

Bourque hits the post.

O'Donnell with a good rush and then dump, chase and hit to bring the puck into the offensive zone.

Shoulder save by Dov on a 2 on 1.

DELAYED PENALTY GOAL: Miller brings the puck across the blue line, pass to Fast who makes a dazzling behind the back, no-look pass to Hensick who walk in on the goalie and scores. 3-0.

After the goal, the Ads decided to pull their goalie.

Hensick almost scored, but the Ad goalie reached back and stopped it.

OD takes a penalty. Then Haley takes a delay of game penalty for throwing the puck over. 5-on-3 power play for the Ads. MCI and Syvret worked together to get the puck and dump it out. Fast clears it. OD out. But Gagne scores on a slapper from the left. 3-1.

McIlrath with a good defensive play. But needs more confidence with the puck, particularly when clearing the defensive zone.

Bourque blocks a good Admiral shot.

Aaron Johnson takes a penalty cross checking an Admiral from behind. This is not what a team captain should be doing at this point of the game. Fast, Allen with good defensive plays (separately from each other) on the PK. MCI clears the zone. Johnson back without the Pack allowing a shot.

Fast playing well, but his linemates Miller and Bourque aren't creating offensive chances or using the ones he creates.

Ads pull their goalie. Bourque worked very, very hard and very effectively on his shift. Norfolk unable to score. Game over: 3-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad