2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
While you never know how a 20 year old will turn out, these 3 players (who were pushed for by a large majority of the forum experts with nobody that I remember pushing for Miller) would not get you JT Miller today. Anything can happen in the future, but if a trade were to take today with Miller being exchanged for McNeil, Armia and Biggs, I'd be pretty mad about it.

People were high on Miller as well as Biggs way back when. The majority of people thought Biggs would top out as a 3rd line winger.

Both Armia and Biggs are still very young. I wouldn't write either of them off.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Regardless of how it happened, being 21 and already having had a serious knee surgery is worrisome. Him re-injuring it in December is not a positive sign.

Anyway some players are just built to break down. It wasn't just concussions with Lindros, it was knees, back, collapsed lung. Same with Sauer. Hip. Knee. Shoulder. And finally a concussion. Same with his brothers. Or Radek Martinek. Knee. Concussion. Back.

We'll see if he avoids the injury bug. He will need to if he wants to break into the NHL. Sometimes there are those guys that just can't. I have the same concern for Ryan Bourque.

Except the players you list had multiple injuries. McIlrath has had 1.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The WolfPack is a revolving door with no continuity. Advanced stats (as previously argued) are just a data point and not a way to judge a player and that is more true in a situation like the Pack where every game there are new factors out of the player's control that will impact his stats. At what point a player suited up for the Pack means everything; they were great early, putrid for a long while and now competitive. A rising tide lifts....

Where are the advanced stats?

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Except the players you list had multiple injuries. McIlrath has had 1.

Typically you have your first serious injury before you have a second.

Seriously though, to be fair a lot of games recently with knee and upper body problems.

Anyway, it's a concern of mine. Feel free to not worry about it until there is tangible proof that it is an area of concern. I will worry for the both of us.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Anyone who wants to trade Big Mac is insane. The kid is a giant playing with children.. He is punishing someone on every shift and has tons of ice to move on because no one goes near him.. In two yrs he is a rangers fan favorite mark my words

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Anyone who wants to trade Big Mac is insane. The kid is a giant playing with children.. He is punishing someone on every shift and has tons of ice to move on because no one goes near him.. In two yrs he is a rangers fan favorite mark my words

ive stayed away from this one as ive read nothing that warrants a response. its all been discussed ad nauseum before.

i will say this however, dylan brings something to this team that we do not currently have and something that is pretty unique to this organization. pure physicality and a "hit to hurt" type player. he demands respect from opposing forwards and tough guys. he is plain and simple, an intimidating force.

if you pound someone along the boards (legally) like he can or pound someones face in a tussle, that makes a difference. dylan can do that.

he has that part of the game down. its the quicker skating, solid decision making and defensive intuitiveness he needs to develop. if he does, hell be a solid top 6 guy and a nasty customer for years.

if he doesnt, hell be a fringe nhler who can do what any number of low round/free agent types can do.

and vlad tarasenko will continue to score 30 goals all the while.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah, I agree. When McI has filled out in another two years, he will be one of the most feared players on the ice, and not just for his fists. Plus, you keep asking where the intangibles Cally will be taking with him will come from in the future? McI is an ultra respectful player, extremely hard worker, humble and would kill for his team/teammates. I see him as a top four defensive dman, but his presence at all on a team will bring the things that Cally does even when he is relegated to third line wing. If McI is traded without good return there will be much *****ing when he is contributing all of that to some other NHL club and Ranger goalies are still being run over regularly.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
All of this assuming he learns to stop falling down.

Again, he's ours and I am truly, truly rooting for him to be the player you guys describe. He would be a presence that we've lacked for years and I'd be immensely thrilled to have him.

But as of right now I have very real concerns about certain aspects of his game. I hope he works them all out.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
If Mcilrath misses a few more games he'll be under 60 games played yet again, that worries me as far as his development goes.

On a positive note, Mcilrath was in the lineup last night and was +2 with a late game SH helper. Lindberg with player of the game last night with a goal and an assist in the 4-1 pack win. Oscar now has 6 goals in his last 7.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
ive stayed away from this one as ive read nothing that warrants a response. its all been discussed ad nauseum before.

i will say this however, dylan brings something to this team that we do not currently have and something that is pretty unique to this organization. pure physicality and a "hit to hurt" type player. he demands respect from opposing forwards and tough guys. he is plain and simple, an intimidating force.

if you pound someone along the boards (legally) like he can or pound someones face in a tussle, that makes a difference. dylan can do that.

he has that part of the game down. its the quicker skating, solid decision making and defensive intuitiveness he needs to develop. if he does, hell be a solid top 6 guy and a nasty customer for years.

if he doesnt, hell be a fringe nhler who can do what any number of low round/free agent types can do.

This is a very fair post, all points are totally accurate. The aggravating part for me now and back on draft day is the laziness and lack of forward thinking. The Blues had the guts (and depth) to move Rundblad for the extra 1st round puck. The Rangers are never in a position to make that kind of move. There should have been a means to pick McIlrath and Tarasenko in that draft. You'd have the best of both worlds. Even be in a spot to roll the dice with a Kuznetsov if Tarasenko was gone.

It comes down to the points that've been made in the trade threads. Pieces that may walk for nothing need to be moved for some level of future return. Extra picks turn into extra depth that can be moved or retained. It pays to have some extras spins at the wheel.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC

I know you love your Russians ODC, but Tarasenko shouldn't be the one you're crying over. Cam Fowler would be a whole lot more helpful than Vladdy.

That said, I'm rooting for 'Taker. Hopefully the kid becomes a huge intimidating presence on our blueline.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Didn't have the chance to watch the game last night, but will watch it now. Here are my notes:

FIRST PERIOD

GOAL: On the very first rush, Nash drives the puck into the offensive zone, almost loses it to the two defensemen, but Lindberg picks it up, shoots it, rebound, Kristo picks it up, takes it around the goalie and scores. Kristo from Lindberg and Nash.

While an NHL goalie would not normally give up a rebound like that, Kristo did a good job driving to the net and then displaying his soft hands.

MCI with a good defensive play.

Penalty on Beach. He didn't even touch the Phantom. Another Packer shoved a guy, but even that wasn't elbowing. The AHL refs are blind. Newbury shoots, Leneveu makes a good save, but can't control the rebound, goal. 1-1.

GOAL: Kristo with a good dump and chase, gets the puck behind the net, sends it to Lindberg who shoots, but is stopped. The play continues, however. Haley grabs the puck, goes around the net, passes it to Lindberg who's on the border of the crease and he scores. Lindberg showed good toughness driving to the net as he was tackled by two people as he was shooting. 2-1. Lindberg from Haley and Kristo.

Miller with a turnover trying to do too much with the puck. He flashed good speed, but his brain isn't NHL level yet.

Fast with a hit causes a turnover. Bourque gets the puck, passes to Miller who shoots, but it's stopped.

Penalty on Syvret. McIlrath levels a Phantom on the PK. Killed off.

I really hope we get Newbury back next year, particularly since Miller and probably at some point in midseason also Lindberg will be in New York a year from now. I don't think the team should be going with St. Croix as it's main (and only) offensive center and Noob would provide excellent leadership on and off the ice. The team's offense looked so much better with him.

Pack PP. Allen with a bad offensive zone turnover that led to a loooong breakaway for a Phanton, but a beautiful pad save by Lenevue, similar to Richter's save on Bure's penalty shot, but with the other leg.

Miller with good speed entering the opposing zone, pass to Bourque, but he fans on the shot.

Kristo with a smart hit that causes a bad pass and an interception by Lindberg.

Miller needs to get benched. He's not Kovalev, he needs to recognize it. He can't stickhandle so much that he causes turnovers and other problems for the team.

Fast with a good pass to Miller around the hash marks. He finally shot the puck instead of getting cute with it. Nice save in response, though.

END OF THE FIRST PERIOD

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Didn't have the chance to watch the game last night, but will watch it now. Here are my notes:

FIRST PERIOD

GOAL: On the very first rush, Nash drives the puck into the offensive zone, almost loses it to the two defensemen, but Lindberg picks it up, shoots it, rebound, Kristo picks it up, takes it around the goalie and scores. Kristo from Lindberg and Nash.

While an NHL goalie would not normally give up a rebound like that, Kristo did a good job driving to the net and then displaying his soft hands.

MCI with a good defensive play.

Penalty on Beach. He didn't even touch the Phantom. Another Packer shoved a guy, but even that wasn't elbowing. The AHL refs are blind. Newbury shoots, Leneveu makes a good save, but can't control the rebound, goal. 1-1.

GOAL: Kristo with a good dump and chase, gets the puck behind the net, sends it to Lindberg who shoots, but is stopped. The play continues, however. Haley grabs the puck, goes around the net, passes it to Lindberg who's on the border of the crease and he scores. Lindberg showed good toughness driving to the net as he was tackled by two people as he was shooting. 2-1. Lindberg from Haley and Kristo.

Miller with a turnover trying to do too much with the puck. He flashed good speed, but his brain isn't NHL level yet.

Fast with a hit causes a turnover. Bourque gets the puck, passes to Miller who shoots, but it's stopped.

Penalty on Syvret. McIlrath levels a Phantom on the PK. Killed off.

I really hope we get Newbury back next year, particularly since Miller and probably at some point in midseason also Lindberg will be in New York a year from now. I don't think the team should be going with St. Croix as it's main (and only) offensive center and Noob would provide excellent leadership on and off the ice. The team's offense looked so much better with him.

Pack PP. Allen with a bad offensive zone turnover that led to a loooong breakaway for a Phanton, but a beautiful pad save by Lenevue, similar to Richter's save on Bure's penalty shot, but with the other leg.

Miller with good speed entering the opposing zone, pass to Bourque, but he fans on the shot.

Kristo with a smart hit that causes a bad pass and an interception by Lindberg.

Miller needs to get benched. He's not Kovalev, he needs to recognize it. He can't stickhandle so much that he causes turnovers and other problems for the team.

Fast with a good pass to Miller around the hash marks. He finally shot the puck instead of getting cute with it. Nice save in response, though.

END OF THE FIRST PERIOD

imho this is the single biggest reason he's not on the rangers right now.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
SECOND PERIOD

Fast with good hustle along the offensive board, causing a turnover.

PENALTY: Penalty on Holmstrom, Pack PP. Kristo with a good pass to Syvret, but the shot is stopped. Pack can't settle in the offensive zone. Killed.

Lenevue with a good stop.

Penalty on Nash. Killed.

The second line (Haley-Lindberg-Kristo) is looking better than the first (Bourque-Miller-Fast) this game.

Powe is a good defensive player.

Lenevue with a good leg save.

GOAL: Fast once again displays his superior on-ice vision by finding Miller who lands a hard shot, rebound to Stamler right between the hash marks and he scores his first AHL goal! 3-1. Stamler from Miller and Fast.

Phans take a time out.

Hrivik with two smart offensive plays, but unfortunately neither Powe nor Beach is capable of doing anything with the puck. His stats would've been much better with more competent linemates.

PENALTY. Phan tripped Lindberg.

PP done when Allen screws up receiving a pass, causing a 2 on 1 where he tripped up Holmstrom. Not a good game by Allen.

GOAL: Powe with a huge high shot from above the faceoff circle. Didn't know Powe can shoot like this. It was actually a shorthanded goal on the very short PK that the Packers had. 4-1. Powe from Syvret and McIlrath.

Phans pulled their goalie.

Bourque with a nifty play with the puck off the boards and then creates a scoring chance.

PENALTY: Holding on the Phans. Miller tried to fake a slap shot only to pass, did it twice, neither time did it fool the defenders.

END OF SECOND PERIOD

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
THIRD PERIOD

Good offensive play and a good shot by Kristo, who had a good game.

3 on 2 for the Pack. Fast to Miller who deflects it, but no go.

Hensick with a good shot, and a second follow up shot on the rebound.

Beach sucks. Big time. BIG. He had a two on none with Vaive all alone in front of the empty net on the other side, but kept his head down and didn't see Vaive and just went around the net with the puck. He didn't even attempt to shoot. I don't think he realized there were no defenders.

Goaltender interference by Vaive. On the PK, Miller and Bourque had a 2 on 1, but Miller's pass was blocked.

Allen with a turnover trying to stickhandle. This is his worst game of the season.

Delay of game by Stamler who sent the puck over the boards.

Powe fought Holmstrom, but Holm won the fight.

Major on Powe.

Good save by Leneveu.

Noob takes a penalty so it's 4 on 4 in the middle of the major. Kristo and Hensick creates a couple of good chances while playing together.

Miller shoots from between the hash marks, but stopped.

GAME OVER

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
MY THREE STARS: Lindberg, Kristo, Lenevue.
Honorable Mention: Fast.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Question to those who watch Hartford regularly or at least semi-regularly (at least a quarter of the games):

If the Rangers trade Callahan (or need to recall a RW to replace an injured player), who would you choose:

1. J.T. Miller
Positives: has all the necessary ingridients - size, speed, shot, confidence.
Negatives: stickhandles too much, very young, is a better center than RW.

2. Jesper Fast
Positives: size, speed, shot, defense, intelligence, hard work, natural right wing.
Negatives: weaker than Miller, first year in North America.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Question to those who watch Hartford regularly or at least semi-regularly (at least a quarter of the games):

If the Rangers trade Callahan (or need to recall a RW to replace an injured player), who would you choose:

1. J.T. Miller

2. Jesper Fast
Positives: size, speed, shot, defense, intelligence, hard work, natural right wing.

You need to ask my opinion? :)

Clearly Fast.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

1. J.T. Miller

2. Jesper Fast

The continued suggestion by people who have clearly not watched the Wolfpack, or JT Miller ever perhaps, to call him up and play him at wing, is ridiculous. He has played all of his best hockey at center.

Not taking that in to account, Fast is still my choice. JT still thinks he can dangle and stick handle too much. Part of that might be the fact he is dominating most of his competition right now, but he needs to do more by doing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad