2013-2014 Columbus Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Richards still has a few seasons left but I'd rather trade our way into the Cup playoffs NOW with new players peaking or at their peak instead of wanning.... I say nyt....

For the right deal, sure. However as others have indicted, trading for those players does run the risk of depleting our prospect pool and/or trading valuable roster players. The front office already indicated they will be looking at the FA market, specifically because they think players will be bought out for cap concerns.

What we are looking for now doesn't go up on the trade block very often. Our best bet is to find a forward from a team that is desperate for defensive help, specifically a guy like Wiz or, less desirable, Tyutin. Nikitin simply wouldn't get much done.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
For the right deal, sure. However as others have indicted, trading for those players does run the risk of depleting our prospect pool and/or trading valuable roster players. The front office already indicated they will be looking at the FA market, specifically because they think players will be bought out for cap concerns.

What we are looking for now doesn't go up on the trade block very often. Our best bet is to find a forward from a team that is desperate for defensive help, specifically a guy like Wiz or, less desirable, Tyutin. Nikitin simply wouldn't get much done.

When I speak of trade I'm thinking draft picks.... (for the most part most of the time)..

I could care less if we draft anyone in the first round to be frank... Historically, first round Blue Jacket picks have had little if any impact on our playoff victories... If the CBJ do move players I’m hoping they are players not considered our current youth core for the future…, older guys perhaps.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
When I speak of trade I'm thinking draft picks.... (for the most part most of the time)

Probably not going to get 'er done.

Who is going to trade a potential or existing scoring forward for a middle and a late 1st round draft pick? The only shot you have is cap strapped teams, but those teams with they type of player we are looking for is very small. Someone else would give a better offer.

Is it possible? Sure. Would I count on it? No. Sure the Rangers would probably give us (or anybody) Richards for any draft pick, but that doesn't mean it would be smart (as an example already used).

I think your position on first round picks is a bit short sighted. If nothing else Jake, Brassard, and Moore have gotten us additional assets. I have no idea what you even mean, to be honest, since we've never even had a playoff victory.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This isn't the same jackets scouting staff that was in place the past. It will be interesting to see who we land. The newest hockeysfuture mock has us taking Lazar. I'd be more than happy with him, a player who broke both Stamkos AND Crosbys point and goal records in the 2011 winter games screams clutch. We need some more clutch kids with motors that don't stop.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Probably not going to get 'er done.

Who is going to trade a potential or existing scoring forward for a middle and a late 1st round draft pick? The only shot you have is cap strapped teams, but those teams with they type of player we are looking for is very small. Someone else would give a better offer.

Is it possible? Sure. Would I count on it? No. Sure the Rangers would probably give us (or anybody) Richards for any draft pick, but that doesn't mean it would be smart (as an example already used).

I think your position on first round picks is a bit short sighted. If nothing else Jake, Brassard, and Moore have gotten us additional assets. I have no idea what you even mean, to be honest, since we've never even had a playoff victory.

What is it now? 13 first round picks or more? Yes, we have gotten some assets from the players you mentioned but if the barometer of our first round picks is measured on the assets we get after trading them why wait.. ?

An unknown CBJ first round pick could very well be worth more than a known one… :laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This isn't the same jackets scouting staff that was in place the past. It will be interesting to see who we land. The newest hockeysfuture mock has us taking Lazar. I'd be more than happy with him, a player who broke both Stamkos AND Crosbys point and goal records in the 2011 winter games screams clutch. We need some more clutch kids with motors that don't stop.

Which mock were you talking about? This hockey writers mock (not any more professional than hockeysfuture, I know) has us going with Lazar, Klimchuk, and Hagg. Color me unimpressed by all 3.

What is it now? 13 first round picks or more? Yes, we have gotten some assets from the players you mentioned but if the barometer of our first round picks is measured on the assets we get after trading them why wait.. ?

An unknown CBJ first round pick could very well be worth more than a known one… :laugh:

That's an excellent point to show how weak player development has been in CBJ history, but we've got a whole league to learn from, and the lesson is that drafting and developing players works.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

No, people are just reluctant to trade a developed or close to ready asset for someone that isn't developed at all. That is why draft picks are generally currency to finalize a deal or trade deadline deal(s).

Draft picks only are rare for roster players, outside of trade deadline deals, beyond role players or "damaged" (performance decline, character issues, inflated contracts) players.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Richards still has a few seasons left but I'd rather trade our way into the Cup playoffs NOW with new players peaking or at their peak instead of wanning.... I say nyt....

This makes me cringe.

I understand your philosophy and it certainly has its merits, but I am dead set against it. Those draft picks can go a long way towards establishing this team as a competitive force for years to come. Yes they are not 100%, they never are, but 3 1st rounders in a deep class like this, is a very enviable position to be in.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
This makes me cringe.

I understand your philosophy and it certainly has its merits, but I am dead set against it. Those draft picks can go a long way towards establishing this team as a competitive force for years to come. Yes they are not 100%, they never are, but 3 1st rounders in a deep class like this, is a very enviable position to be in.

For the right deal, I would have no issue moving one. But, like you, I would like to use our picks to draft players. We are a bit thin on forward, at least on anything resembling top six and some of those that projects to top six (or not at all, high risk players) are projects (Tynan, maybe Zaar) and no where close to being ready. We really need to restock our forward depth with top six talent.

Next season outside of Jenner, our only other real option is JAM.

That Mayorov is still on our prospect list is amusing.

I would rather use some of our defensive depth to get another forward or use the FA pool (the latter is actually my preference).

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
For the right deal, I would have no issue moving one. But, like you, I would like to use our picks to draft players. We are a bit thin on forward, at least on anything resembling top six and some of those that projects to top six (or not at all, high risk players) are projects (Tynan, maybe Zaar) and no where close to being ready. We really need to restock our forward depth with top six talent.

Next season outside of Jenner, our only other real option is JAM.

That Mayorov is still on our prospect list is amusing.

I would rather use some of our defensive depth to get another forward or use the FA pool (the latter is actually my preference).

I agree, if we can get a premium return, those picks are in play.

Mayorov. :shakehead Yeah, we need to restock the shelves.

Zaar just turned 19. Would love to see more of him this season, maybe in the AHL...kid can shoot the puck. Another late round gem...why don't our 1st round picks work out?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Zaar just turned 19. Would love to see more of him this season, maybe in the AHL...kid can shoot the puck. Another late round gem.

Could very well be another gem. Not sure when they are going to concentrate on getting that ELC signed.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i have had this feeling that we're going to trade for Scott Hartnell...no basis for it...but more i think about him playing golf with Boll and company at Muirfield a couple weeks ago, the more I feel that was a wooing outing more than just friends playing golf...

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I agree, if we can get a premium return, those picks are in play.

Mayorov. :shakehead Yeah, we need to restock the shelves.

Zaar just turned 19. Would love to see more of him this season, maybe in the AHL...kid can shoot the puck. Another late round gem...why don't our 1st round picks work out?

I'm also a Zaar fan. Don't we have to wait until he's 20 for the AHL? (I hate that stupid rule)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
i have had this feeling that we're going to trade for Scott Hartnell...no basis for it...but more i think about him playing golf with Boll and company at Muirfield a couple weeks ago, the more I feel that was a wooing outing more than just friends playing golf...

Interesting player. Can be wildly inconsistent for a pretty substantial cap hit. Could be a target for a trade. Probably premature to discuss wooing since that might imply that the framework for a deal is done waiting on the playoffs to finish. They probably aren't going to woo out of the blue unless Hartnell already knows something, such as he's a buyout candidate or they mentioned they are going to shop him.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Interesting player. Can be wildly inconsistent for a pretty substantial cap hit. Could be a target for a trade. Probably premature to discuss wooing since that might imply that the framework for a deal is done waiting on the playoffs to finish. They probably aren't going to woo out of the blue unless Hartnell already knows something, such as he's a buyout candidate or they mentioned they are going to shop him.

true...a framework of a deal could be in place and boll and company may have shown him the town etc...could be absolutely nothing...could just be 4 guys that have played against each other hanging out...just something about it has stuck with me as odd though...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Stolen from the trade forum:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=66424611&postcount=1

According to two league sources, Alexander Burmistrov has no intention of re-signing with the Winnipeg Jets.
He is slated for restricted free agency. Burmistrov reportedly wanted to be dealt at the trade deadline and despite discussions with Ottawa, Buffalo and the New York Islanders, the Jets were unsuccessful in moving him. His agent, Mark Gandler, wouldn't say much about the matter, but he did say that "Alex is not going to sign in the KHL." Burmistrov hasn't been very productive in three seasons, with 23 goals and 35 assists in 194 career contests, but he's still just 21 years of age so it might be too early to label him as a bust.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/burmistrov-wants-out-of-winnipeg-208450711.html

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nhl/186943/hockey-headlines?r=1

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
saw that and was wondering about what it would take...and if we wanted him...would be an interesting move to make

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
true...a framework of a deal could be in place and boll and company may have shown him the town etc...could be absolutely nothing...could just be 4 guys that have played against each other hanging out...just something about it has stuck with me as odd though...

Let's not forget the Flyers are division rivals now. I can't see them trading him within the division. He is also 31 and has a 4.75 cap hit for 6 more seasons. We have more than enough guys signed long term like that. No way we take him on unless another long term salary goes somewhere else.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Let's not forget the Flyers are division rivals now. I can't see them trading him within the division. He is also 31 and has a 4.75 cap hit for 6 more seasons. We have more than enough guys signed long term like that. No way we take him on unless another long term salary goes somewhere else.

Are folks aware that Hartnell is one of the very few wingers out there who makes more than Umberger who also scored less than Umberger this year? I'm assuming the only way we get Hartnell is for Umberger, or if Hartnell is bought-out.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Are folks aware that Hartnell is one of the very few wingers out there who makes more than Umberger who also scored less than Umberger this year? I'm assuming the only way we get Hartnell is for Umberger, or if Hartnell is bought-out.

Of course Hartnell played in 32 games vs 48 for Umbie. Just sayin'. For a mill or so after a buyout maybe but other than that no thanks. I think I'd rather take a flyer on Comeau as our 13th forward.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I was headed there in a similar way. If Philly gets rid of Hartnell, it will be because they need to drop salary in the new cap environment. I can't see them buying him out unless they buyout Bryz too. There is no way Hartnell gets bought out and Bryz stays. Philly doesn't want or need Umberger back because they need to drop salary.

Basically, I don't see Hartnell getting bought out. Philly certainly will avoid trading him to a division rival. Hartnell is essentially a different version of Umberger. Good for 20-25 goals and that is about it. His 37 goals 2 years ago was because he was with Giroux on the ice. Both he and Giroux regressed this year without Jagr on the team. I don't see him ever replicating that production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad