2013-2014 Columbus Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Are folks aware that Hartnell is one of the very few wingers out there who makes more than Umberger who also scored less than Umberger this year? I'm assuming the only way we get Hartnell is for Umberger, or if Hartnell is bought-out.

I'm not terribly concerned about what occurred during a short season. I'm not saying to get him, but Harnell was also coming off a 37 goal season (one of two 30 goal seasons and 60 point seasons). Something that RJ hasn't even come close to, at least goal wise - a little closer point wise.

I mentioned that Hartnell is kind of either hit or miss. However during his career he's been far more consistent during his time on the ice that a guy like RJ has, including this season. Even though RJ scored a few more points, Hartnell had the same number of goals in quite a few less games. At least Hartnell was on pace for a 20 goal season during an off year.

I'm not saying to go for him, I'm just not no where near as dismissive of him as others around here. When I look at Hartnell, there are a few things I can say. He's pretty good 5 on 5, he can help our PP, he's been pretty decent in the past on the kill, he's a pretty durable top six player, and he's scored quite a few GWG's.

Hartnell can be a bit of an enigma, he is fully capable of scoring 35+ goals next season and probably 30+ into his middle 30's. He probably won't play to that level, as he's not nearly consistent enough. Maybe playing on a team like the Jackets of last season would be good for him. He is actually fully capable of playing top line minutes and producing.

At any rate, there is almost no chance we get him or even try and get him. However, I would have no issue getting him at that salary and term. Like you pointed out, even though I don't agree necessarily with how you came to that conclusion or how to solve the issue, RJ would probably need to be elsewhere. I would feel far more comfortable with Hartnell on the wing with Johasen than RJ.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If the NYR buy out Richards, he would likely be a cheap get because he'd be making tons already, I'd love for us to snag him if he's cheap on a 1 year deal or 2 year deal.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If the NYR buy out Richards, he would likely be a cheap get because he'd be making tons already, I'd love for us to snag him if he's cheap on a 1 year deal or 2 year deal.

He may come "cheap" but I doubt he'll be easy. Let's not get silly. He may be producing like a second line player instead of a top line player, but there will still be a market for him.

He's probably not in line for another career ending contract, but he'll still get good money and there are teams that would be happy with his production for a longer contract that two years in the hopes they get the old Richards back.

I suppose it could happen if Richards wanted a specific location in an attempt to win a Cup and re-establish himself as an elite player. Only Richards can answer those questions, but there will be teams in the NHL that won't mind a 4 year 20+ million dollar (probably on the low end) deal.

This thought that he'll give himself away because he got 2/3's of his old contract is pretty much a pipe dream, if for no other reason than the NHLPA would be pretty annoyed if he signed significantly under value.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Clearly we're the logical location for Richards to end up. He would be a former Ranger and we're Columbus. Whether anybody wants it or not you should make your peace with it. Him coming here is inevitable.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Clearly we're the logical location for Richards to end up. He would be a former Ranger and we're Columbus. Whether anybody wants it or not you should make your peace with it. Him coming here is inevitable.

Sure seems to be the trend of late, but I'm not ready to call it fate or destiny yet. On a side note, an elite play making center would be nice.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Finnish media reported that Ilari Melart transferred to Blue Jackets!

Without translating the article, I'm not even sure I know what this means. Did we trade for his rights or something? I didn't see anything about him being a UFA and we signed him to a ELC or two-way contract.

Ok, so I translated it. A one-year contract. Got it.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
FWIW -> cbjprospects is checking into it...sounds to be more in just the rumor stage right now...his finnish contacts hope to have more later on...

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we do a deal with the Canadiens. Jarmo drafted Eller and I could see sending the King's first a for Eller. I would love to go after Patches but I figure you'll see Plekanec moved first. With all the RFAs the NYR has we may see also see a the final part to the CBJ-NYR trade saga.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
In the trade boards a Ranger fan was posting about potentially moving MDZ with a main purpose of getting a 1st due to the realization their prospect pool isn't loaded. I read a few comments and then just for fun i said maybe i'd offer LA's 1st and Nikitin to which another Ranger fan replied Nikitin only plays well with Tyutin and asked what would have to be added for both so i brought up the name Girardi. How would people feel if an offer ever based around this came around?
And yes i know its "another CBJ, NYR trade" but if it's something that can make sense who cares. I know we are likely to slow down as trade partners due to realignment but i'm bored and it's kind of interesting.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
In the trade boards a Ranger fan was posting about potentially moving MDZ with a main purpose of getting a 1st due to the realization their prospect pool isn't loaded. I read a few comments and then just for fun i said maybe i'd offer LA's 1st and Nikitin to which another Ranger fan replied Nikitin only plays well with Tyutin and asked what would have to be added for both so i brought up the name Girardi. How would people feel if an offer ever based around this came around?
And yes i know its "another CBJ, NYR trade" but if it's something that can make sense who cares. I know we are likely to slow down as trade partners due to realignment but i'm bored and it's kind of interesting.

Why do trade proposals have to involve so many players?

I think the correct thing to say to the Ranger fan is that the need for Nikitin-Tyutin to be paired is a myth, because Nikitin played better without Tyutin this year. That or I'd say "MDZ for a prospect? What are you, rebuilding?"

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we do a deal with the Canadiens. Jarmo drafted Eller and I could see sending the King's first a for Eller. I would love to go after Patches but I figure you'll see Plekanec moved first. With all the RFAs the NYR has we may see also see a the final part to the CBJ-NYR trade saga.

Canadiens won't have any cap trouble. They might buy out Kaberle, but we won't be seeing plum contracts like Eller or Pacioretty moved, unfortunately. I'd put Eller's value at way more than the Kings pick. The Habs might not even move him for the 14th overall.

The unfortunate thing with all of these buyouts is that the effect of the cap coming down is mostly mitigated; players you really want still aren't available, only older gambles like Richards and Kaberle. The lower cap will create much more parity in coming years but not in the next two years, as rich teams now have two years of buyout windows to get rid of their mistakes.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

My reply would simply have been that Nikitin started the year horrible playing with Tyutin. They were split up and he appeared to get back to playing like a #4 dman. His English is quite good and I don't buy the "plays better with Tyutin" issue. Anyway, I think this becomes too complicated and, personally, I think Tyutin would be the best player in that trade based on his play this season. Nikitin and a pick, I'm OK with that for a player like MDZ. Rangers....probably not.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I have a feeling JK is gonna work some of his magic this offseason.

NYR + LA's pick for established prospect/player?
14th pick + roster player for a young nhl ready prospect or maybe a top 7 pick(depending on our roster player)

Maybe...or maybe his magic will be worked in the draft. Jarmo's reputation was built around his eye for prospects.

Last edited:

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Maybe...or maybe his magic will be worked in the draft. Jarmo's reputation was built around his eye for prospects.

There's going to be a lot of cap strapped teams this offseason. I think those picks are going to turn into slightly overpaid players, that other teams don't necessarily want to get rid of, but need to in order to get under the cap.

Something along the lines of the Beauchemin for Fedorov trade. Just hope JK has a better grasp of our players and prospects, and the prospects available in the draft, than Douggie did.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
There's going to be a lot of cap strapped teams this offseason. I think those picks are going to turn into slightly overpaid players, that other teams don't necessarily want to get rid of, but need to in order to get under the cap.

Something along the lines of the Beauchemin for Fedorov trade. Just hope JK has a better grasp of our players and prospects, and the prospects available in the draft, than Douggie did.

That wouldn't take much.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here, the article that was just quoted indicated that they are going to be prepared to go in multiple different directions.

“We were talking a lot about those three picks, how we would entertain turning one of those picks or even more than one of those picks into something that makes sense for us long-term,” Kekalainen said. “A very bright prospect or a player very young in his career is maybe something that would work, and I’m sure a few other teams are thinking the same.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...cap-could-yield-high-returns-for-jackets.html

We can throw out what-ifs forever, but what is clear to me is that JD/JK expect ownership to buy off on a cap team and they are willing to make the team better in any number of ways. If there is something they can do, they aren't going to sit and wait for prospects to be drafted and developed.

Why can't we just accept what they say instead of letting our preferences cloud what they are actually saying? We have posters around here with dreams of grandeur with posters trying to keep them in check with what starts to amount as polar opposite.

What I love is that we don't know what is going to happen the next few months. There is no expectation of cap limitations, usage of draft picks, who we would trade for, who we would sign to a UFA contract, etc. They could offer sheet someone and it wouldn't surprise me, although I could start to question their sanity a bit. I could see them even talking with Gaborik and explaining they want cost certainty going to the FA period so that they know what they can spend long term.

Let's just enjoy being a team that is attempting to play in the big leagues. Let them do their job and we can critique the deals (or lack-there-of) as they occur.

They are a fairly transparent group, which is refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad