Savard

Ruth
Goloubef
Delisle
Bass
Machacek

Killeen
Parlett

I'd bring back the bold. Let McElhinney and a UFA goalie come in and battle for the backup spot behind Bob. Let York have another year to see what he can do. If Prospal wants to come back he should.

Also, if Aucoin wants to retire we should let him get involved with hockey ops. He was really important to the room. But if he wants to come back and play, I think we have to bid farewell.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
Also, if Aucoin wants to retire we should let him get involved with hockey ops. He was really important to the room. But if he wants to come back and play, I think we have to bid farewell.

Would disagree on Aucoin. I would bring him back for another season. Defensive depth is huge. For evidence: I submit Savard's play against the Kings.

That would give the CBJ... Tyutin, Johnson, Wiz, Aucoin, Nikitin, Murray, Prout, Erixon. Its very rare the top 6 all play together during the season.

Games missed:
Tyutin - 0
Johnson - 4
Wiz - 18
Aucoin - 12
Nikitin - 10
That was 44 games in a 48 game season missed by the top 5.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Would disagree on Aucoin. I would bring him back for another season. Defensive depth is huge. For evidence: I submit Savard's play against the Kings.

That would give the CBJ... Tyutin, Johnson, Wiz, Aucoin, Nikitin, Murray, Prout, Erixon. Its very rare the top 6 all play together during the season.

Games missed:
Tyutin - 0
Johnson - 4
Wiz - 18
Aucoin - 12
Nikitin - 10
That was 44 games in a 48 game season missed by the top 5.

That's a good point. The only reason I said no to Aucoin was Murray coming in, and Goloubef's play.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
That's a good point. The only reason I said no to Aucoin was Murray coming in, and Goloubef's play.

With Murray missing a whole year on his development, I have to think he'll be in Springfield next year. Picking up a veteran defenseman would be a good idea, but I would like to see Goloubef get a chance.

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
That's a good list though I would like Aucoin back for depth. Also, I would only keep Leighton if A) He agrees to a contract under $1M and B) There's not any better potential backup goalies out there for a reasonable price.

zukezuchegno

Feb 5, 2013
That's a good list though I would like Aucoin back for depth. Also, I would only keep Leighton if A) He agrees to a contract under $1M and B) There's not any better potential backup goalies out there for a reasonable price.

could we see McElhinney on the roster next year?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
the biggest change IMO is Murray over Aucoin. Another guy gone is Leighton.

We need to re-sign Prospal (UFA), Arty, Bob, Cam and Gillies (all RFA) and we are fine.

We might even see one of our first round selections..

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

We need to re-sign Prospal (UFA), Arty, Bob, Cam and Gillies (all RFA) and we are fine.

Cam is already signed. I suspect that Gillies won't be. I think Comeau gets resigned over Gillies.

I think with the culture change, we can expect that no player will be granted a roster spot without earning it in training camp and beyond. No more of the Filatov crap we saw a few years ago.

If Murray dominates at camp, so be it, but I expect he'll start in Springfield. I don't see any of this year's draft picks making the team. Jenner has a good shot, and has the benefit of contributing to a Springfield playoff run to show his mettle.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

No 18 year olds on this version of the Jackets. Maybe in the Maclean era, but not in the JD/Jarmo era. Not a chance. Plus, the team is already too deep, IMO. Unless we win the draft lottery. ;) I figure I'll do a lineup, just so I can drool about it for 5 months.

XXXX-Anisimov-Gaborik
Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Prospal-Johansen-Letestu
Foligno-Jenner-Comeau
Boll/Mackenzie

Johnson-Tyutin
Wisniewski-Prout
Murray-Erixon
Goloubef

Bobrovsky
Richard Bachman?

Hoping we can either trade Nikitin+other pieces for a forward who can fit our pseudo '1st line', or pick up an FA. Also going to need a goalie to pick up spot starts.

This team is deep, guys and gals. I can't contain my excitement.

Edit: Something needs to be done about Umby.

yave1964

22 and counting
Mar 22, 2013
Lexington ohio
Congratulations on a great season from a Wings fan. I was (gulp) rooting hard for the Avalanche last night.
You guys are set to go, Murray is like a top five pick for next season, plus a generous amount of picks for this year. The talent level is as good as most teams. Glad we are not in the same division any more.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
NEEDS:
1. Top six winger
2. Backup goalie

INCOMING:
1. Ryan Murray

OUTGOING:
1. Colton Gilles
2. Michael Leighton

COULD GO EITHER WAY:
1. Adrian Aucoin
2. Vinny Prospal

HOW I SEE IT:
1. I think we'll use our top pick (#14?) on a forward. He'll start in Springfield, not on the big club.
2. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded one or both of our remaining 1st round picks - either by themselves or in a package - for a sniper. We only need one.
3. Boone Jenner will likely start in Springfield, but will be a top call-up.
4. One of our goalie prospects will be moved up to Springfield.
5. The CBJ will sign a journeyman goalie to be our backup. It would be great if Jarmo thought McElhinney could fill this role. So long Leighton, we hardly knew ye. Our kids are not NHL ready yet.
6. Comeau gets resigned, Gilles is gone.
7. Murray will likely start the year in Springfield, so it may be necessary to resign Aucoin.
8. Vinny looked slow during the last 2 weeks of the season. I wouldn't say his return is guaranteed, but he IS a spiritual leader (in the sporting sense of the phrase)

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
NEEDS:
1. Top six winger
2. Backup goalie

Devil's advocate:

Needs:
1. Two top line forwards
2. Backup goalie
3. Overall organ-I-zational depth

Incoming:
D Ryan Murray

Notable RFAs: C Artem Anisimov, C Colton Gillies, G Sergei Bobrovsky, C Ryan Johansen, G Allen York, D David Savard, D Cody Goloubef, F Cody Bass, F Spencer Machacek

Notable UFAs: LW Vinny Prospal, RW Blake Comeau, C Nick Drazenovic, D Adrian Aucoin, G Michael Leighton, G Curtis McIlhenny, C Ryan Russell, D Nick Holden

Outlook: As for the RFAs, I think it's pretty safe to assume that we'll be bringing back Anisimov, Bobrovsky, Johansen, York, Savard, and Goloubef. I'd truly be surprised if Cody Bass signed on for another year, he'll be looking for a better chance at an NHL job. As for the unrestricted guys, I would think that Prospal calls his own shot here. Comeau may be brought back (if the dollar amount works). Drazenovic is probably gone, as are Leighton and Russell. Aucoin is probably headed for retirement. McIlhenny will be brought back, but only in his current role. Holden will probably seek to sign with a team that wants to give him a realistic chance.

As it stands, the team has $46,831,309 spent towards an expected cap of $64,300,000. This gives us just under $20m to get back all of these players, plus spend on the UFA market. Ryan Murray's contract carries a cap hit of $3.525 million, which brings us down to essentially the $16m range. Bobrovsky will demand - deservedly - a contract in the $4-5 million range, comparable to some of the top young goalies in the league. Anisimov should be expected in the $3-4m range, and Johansen in the $2m range, shorter term. Add that all up, and worse case scenario, I think we can expect to have around $5m to spend on a UFA or via a trade (plus re-sign any NHL roster RFAs) ... really, hardly enough to expect to bring in a backup goalie, and two top line forwards. Our rebuild begins at the draft, for this reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
Devil's advocate:

Needs:
1. Two top line forwards
2. Backup goalie
3. Overall organ-I-zational depth

Incoming:
D Ryan Murray

Notable RFAs: C Artem Anisimov, C Colton Gillies, G Sergei Bobrovsky, C Ryan Johansen, G Allen York, D David Savard, D Cody Goloubef, F Cody Bass, F Spencer Machacek

Notable UFAs: LW Vinny Prospal, RW Blake Comeau, C Nick Drazenovic, D Adrian Aucoin, G Michael Leighton, G Curtis McIlhenny, C Ryan Russell, D Nick Holden

Outlook: As for the RFAs, I think it's pretty safe to assume that we'll be bringing back Anisimov, Bobrovsky, Johansen, York, Savard, and Goloubef. I'd truly be surprised if Cody Bass signed on for another year, he'll be looking for a better chance at an NHL job. As for the unrestricted guys, I would think that Prospal calls his own shot here. Comeau may be brought back (if the dollar amount works). Drazenovic is probably gone, as are Leighton and Russell. Aucoin is probably headed for retirement. McIlhenny will be brought back, but only in his current role. Holden will probably seek to sign with a team that wants to give him a realistic chance.

As it stands, the team has $46,831,309 spent towards an expected cap of $64,300,000. This gives us just under $20k to get back all of these players, plus spend on the UFA market. Ryan Murray's contract carries a cap hit of $3.525 million, which brings us down to essentially the $16m range. Bobrovsky will demand - deservedly - a contract in the $4-5 million range, comparable to some of the top young goalies in the league. Anisimov should be expected in the $3-4m range, and Johansen in the $2m range, shorter term. Add that all up, and worse case scenario, I think we can expect to have around $5m to spend on a UFA or via a trade (plus re-sign any NHL roster RFAs) ... really, hardly enough to expect to bring in a backup goalie, and two top line forwards. Our rebuild begins at the draft, for this reason.

SL- Interesting breakdown with cap figures to back it up....

Question: In your opinion is Elias Lindholm NHL ready? How does he compare to Gabriel Landeskog? He might be a guy we can target if we trade up to say 7 or 8? If he's still there....

I know these aren't Canadian guys but I still would like your thoughts.

I just think it's important to get somebody than give us some punch sooner than later.

I fear we can't keep winning these low scoring games with regularity in an 82 game season.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think we need TWO top six wingers right away. Get one now, acquire/rent another one when we become Cup contenders.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Other than watching the playoff games this is where we need to focus.. the future under Davisison and Kek... I think it's too early to set up lines but I do think Murray will make the team.. I want Prout in the starting line up too...

Our draft could be exciting if a deal is struck to trade for something that might impact our roster next season.. Based on the actions taken by this new management prior to the trade deadline they are not conservative.. Expect some action come draft day.

There are so many players I'm happy with on our current roster I find it hard to mention weak spots; next season should be fun not to mention the draft and summer leading up to it.

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
NEEDS:
1. Top six winger
2. Backup goalie

INCOMING:
1. Ryan Murray

OUTGOING:
1. Colton Gilles
2. Michael Leighton

COULD GO EITHER WAY:
1. Adrian Aucoin
2. Vinny Prospal

HOW I SEE IT:
1. I think we'll use our top pick (#14?) on a forward. He'll start in Springfield, not on the big club.
2. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded one or both of our remaining 1st round picks - either by themselves or in a package - for a sniper. We only need one.
3. Boone Jenner will likely start in Springfield, but will be a top call-up.
4. One of our goalie prospects will be moved up to Springfield.
5. The CBJ will sign a journeyman goalie to be our backup. It would be great if Jarmo thought McElhinney could fill this role. So long Leighton, we hardly knew ye. Our kids are not NHL ready yet.
6. Comeau gets resigned, Gilles is gone.
7. Murray will likely start the year in Springfield, so it may be necessary to resign Aucoin.
8. Vinny looked slow during the last 2 weeks of the season. I wouldn't say his return is guaranteed, but he IS a spiritual leader (in the sporting sense of the phrase)

I highly doubt that we spend our first pick on a kid old enough to play in Springfield

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I highly doubt that we spend our first pick on a kid old enough to play in Springfield

Good catch. :handclap:

My apologies. Let me try that again. He won't be someone who will help the big club this year. He'll play in Springfield (when eligible) before he plays in Columbus. The days of giving NHL jobs to kids based on their draft order are over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad