2013-2014 Columbus Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Just hope JK has a better grasp of our players and prospects, and the prospects available in the draft, than Douggie did.

I hope and pray as much.

The JD sanity check/srutinization mechanism I'm sure is in place, which should help.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here, the article that was just quoted indicated that they are going to be prepared to go in multiple different directions.

I'm just expressing an opinion. I don't have an agenda.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
...What I love is that we don't know what is going to happen the next few months....

Which, of course, makes it no different than any other day! I do share the optimism that most demonstrate in the competence of those charged with the decisions needed to improve the team, this offseason, so I'm looking forward to the discussions over the next few months much more than I might have in the past.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Which, of course, makes it no different than any other day! I do share the optimism that most demonstrate in the competence of those charged with the decisions needed to improve the team, this offseason, so I'm looking forward to the discussions over the next few months much more than I might have in the past.

Well that wasn't exactly the case in the past. I had a pretty good idea what Howson was going to do during most off seasons. Sure there might be a mild surprise on name, but things like cap spends, type of players being targeted in the UFA period, what players were were going to retain and what we were doing with the draft picks, what type of trades we were going to look for; those were all pretty predictable. Especially relative to now.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here, the article that was just quoted indicated that they are going to be prepared to go in multiple different directions.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...cap-could-yield-high-returns-for-jackets.html

We can throw out what-ifs forever, but what is clear to me is that JD/JK expect ownership to buy off on a cap team and they are willing to make the team better in any number of ways. If there is something they can do, they aren't going to sit and wait for prospects to be drafted and developed.

Why can't we just accept what they say instead of letting our preferences cloud what they are actually saying? We have posters around here with dreams of grandeur with posters trying to keep them in check with what starts to amount as polar opposite.

What I love is that we don't know what is going to happen the next few months. There is no expectation of cap limitations, usage of draft picks, who we would trade for, who we would sign to a UFA contract, etc. They could offer sheet someone and it wouldn't surprise me, although I could start to question their sanity a bit. I could see them even talking with Gaborik and explaining they want cost certainty going to the FA period so that they know what they can spend long term.

Let's just enjoy being a team that is attempting to play in the big leagues. Let them do their job and we can critique the deals (or lack-there-of) as they occur.

They are a fairly transparent group, which is refreshing.

I'm thinking management will move at least one first round pick perhaps two... I also think they will mix our future with draft picks, free agent signings and trades..

Sort of a cop out reply but a fine tuned mix of draft picks, FA signings and trades is the most likely outcome this summer... Our new management is not conservative, I truely believe thay want to contend for the SC finals, if so they must improve on a very good and well coached CBJ team...

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
On the FA front.

Any interest in Viktor Stalberg?

Fast, can play the forecheck, some scoring touch, doesn't appear CHI will be able to sign him.

Thoughts.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
On the FA front.

Fast, can play the forecheck, some scoring touch, doesn't appear CHI will be able to sign him.

Thoughts.
Zero career power play goals. Not sure he is needed if he can't help the PP. Is also in Quenneville's doghouse in the playoffs.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Not exactly known for his toughness, not sure he fits the new mold

Neither is Gaborik.

Stalberg's point total would put him fourth on the Jackets. A productive player that ought to be affordable and make a contribution without the expenditure of assets to acquire.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
On the FA front.

Thoughts.

Not much interest, in part because he fits the mold too well, except for being soft. By fitting too well, I mean once you have so many big forechecking wingers adding another gives diminishing returns. I think we'd get more value out of a scorer or a playmaker, hopefully one with more grit than Gaborik.

thebus2288*

Bickell. Perfect fit. Not very sexy, probably never gonna score 30 but could fit on any line(1a,1b,1c). Would add some legit toughness to Boll and Prout. Has a heavy shot and overall game, but my main love with him is his net presence. Would be great on the powerplay out front with a lot of our shots coming from the point. Would be good "protection" on a line with our smaller young guys, good on the cycle with guys like Dubinsky and Foligno, and I think could be a solid finisher with somebody like Anisimov. Only issues I see is that he might get a real big offer from somebody in the offseason, and the fact that we NEED to get rid of a certain forward contract before we bring in anybody other than a 4th liner just for the sake of bodies. Depth isn't always a plus.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I thought same of Viktor Fasth but he was ready right away... so who knows. IMO Raanta would make the right decision by picking Columbus. There is other teams trying to sign him too.

Per his Twitter he's made his decision, although he has not revealed it.

https://twitter.com/AnttiRaanta

Antti Raanta ‏@AnttiRaanta 2h

I've made my decision! #future #nytmökkeillään

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad