2013-2014 Columbus Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Jack Adams would be proud. Take an extremely young team that went on a tear down the latter 2/3 of a season, then make "bold moves" without having any real idea of exactly how good the team on the ice actually is.

Few in the 21st century even know of Jack Adams but "Trader Jack" doesn't have a Trophy named after him for nothing..... make the trade Jack!!! or hit the road..

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Jack Adams would be proud. Take an extremely young team that went on a tear down the latter 2/3 of a season, then make "bold moves" without having any real idea of exactly how good the team on the ice actually is.

Pretty sure the front office is aware they have already traded a lot of the expendable players in the Gaborik move and any other significant moves will start to cut into the real core.

JD and/or JK used the phrase and I tend to agree, they are probably looking more at moving currency over assets at this point. However to use everyone's favorite wet dream as an example, would they give up an Atkinson for a Ryan? How about Jenner? Not to imply that either team are interested in the players listed, but trying to illustrate the type of opportunities that might come up (young, cheap, top six for an expensive players when you have cap concerns).

This conversation is kind of silly in a way. They already told us what they are going to attempt to do, instead of the previous regime(s) that either believed their own nonsense or intentionally mislead us. An example would be telling us our they were happy with the defense after our playoff year. It appears we don't have to deal with that type blatant incompetence or lies in an ongoing basis. Everyone is saying the same thing "We weren't good enough". No one was satisfied with missing the playoffs by one point. They know they need to increase the scoring, they also know the type of player they are looking to add.

Of course we (majority or vocal minority of fans, not me or you personally) won't always agree with the players added (Gaborik) and they will make mistakes. However, I like the decisive attitude. Over time if they make too many mistakes they will be replaced. That is professional sports. Finally.

I finally feel like we are a professional franchise from top to bottom. Not pockets of professionalism. The Priest/Howson combo never gave me that feeling. Dougie and King gave it to me briefly, and even some of the players, until Dougie fired him and I started to realize the side show we had with Dougie.

Last edited:

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Anyone else think that Jagr would be worth pursuing this offseason? Or would he be a bit long in the tooth for your taste?

With JD on board, I think the org has the street cred to bring a guy like him in (or anyone else for that matter).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Anyone else think that Jagr would be worth pursuing this offseason? Or would he be a bit long in the tooth for your taste?

With JD on board, I think the org has the street cred to bring a guy like him in (or anyone else for that matter).

I love Jags. He's gotten kinda slow, but his stick/puck skills are still first-rate. I worry that he doesn't play with as much passion anymore.

From a practical standpoint, I guess I'd be OK with it if Gabby gets re-signed beyond next season. I'd prefer not to have two "scoring forward vets" coming off at the same time.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I finally feel like we are a professional franchise from top to bottom. Not pockets of professionalism. The Priest/Howson combo never gave me that feeling. Dougie and King gave it to me briefly, and even some of the players, until Dougie fired him and I started to realize the side show we had with Dougie.

Solid post all around, but I'm focusing on this bottom bit to say two things:

1) I stopped referring to the CBJ by the proper term -- organ-eye-zation -- a while back because I didn't feel they deserved it. That could change.
2) In an even bigger potential move, the reason my avatar has long included a bunny with a pancake on its head is because it symbolized the incomprehensible randomness, the pointless, directionless not incompetence but unexplainable-ness that permeated the CBJ. I could not figure out the organization not determine what kind of team we were going to have from one day to the next.
This, too, could change. In which case, I would be looking for a new avatar. After all this time...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

No idea what Jagr is looking for in a team, so I'll ignore that part of the discussion.

Not sure we need another stop gap if Prospal is willing to play. If our team was further along, I would be more open to it. Now if Prospal is going to retire, I have no objection to looking at it realizing that Jagr probably isn't going to have the same impact on the locker room.

Now, if we get into a position where trades and other UFA signings haven't improved us, then I don't mind a mid July signing if he is still available.

Ultimately I don't want to tie up that kind of cap space on that type of stop gap that might impact our ability to make another move.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
There's no such thing as season-to-season momentum. It's never been found in any sport, at any point in history.

True, momentum comes to a halt in the off season, but there is chemistry.

Chemistry suffers when you remove integral pieces. My definition of integral pieces may be broad:

Prospal
Letestu
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Foligno
Atkinson
Calvert
Johansen
McKenzie
Boll

Johnson
Tyutin
Prout
Erixon

I don't touch these guys, except to re-sign them.

That leaves only a few forwards and likewise defenseman to consider moving, and most of those guys are borderline integral as well. RJ had a bad start to the year, but he was solid down the stretch, and is a leader and core member of the team. Gaborik was so-so, but I don't see JK giving up so quickly on that one. Wiz and Nikitin, maybe you dangle those guys, but you better hope Murray is ready to crack the top 6 then.

I just don't see much movement happening, unless its shedding some salary and moving a draft pick to upgrade somewhere.

I prefer to see us use the draft picks to build up a sustainable prospect pool, rather than sell the future to make a short term run.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think this kinds of sums up my thoughts on potential off season moves.

http://mobile.bluejacketsxtra.com/w...e=Puck-Rakers+Blog&headtitle=Puck-Rakers+Blog

The team has grown a lot in the last couple of months. There's no question about it. It starts with the individuals in the room, and then the coaches, and then how they come together. I always admire that part of team sports, where a group can do so much. The whole is greater than the sum. I also want to realize that we have a lot work to do. I certainly don't want anybody to think we've arrived somewhere now. It's a good first step for us. That's the way we're going to look at it and approach it, go from there.

The whole is greater than the sum. We overachieved and the front office realizes that.

Another quote.

It's tough to win games 2-1 every night. It's going to be easier to win games if we score more goals.

He states there can be improvement in the room, but he also states he will be looking outside the room as well.

It can come from within the group, but we're going to look at all options to get better.

It's all spelled out for us and the message has been consistent. They are doing a great job of controlling the narrative.

The one thing that I did notice and it might be an oversight, but it was interesting that he wasn't near the top of JK's mind. He didn't mention Johansen in his list. It's things like that I look for and keep note of. I don't make this stuff up. I pay attention to moves, what people say, etc to form and build opinions. I try and make a distinction between my personal thoughts on a player, for example, and what the org seems to think about a player.

I do find it interesting, for example, that RJ has been called out a couple of times. He and I think it was Savard.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think this kinds of sums up my thoughts on potential off season moves.

http://mobile.bluejacketsxtra.com/w...e=Puck-Rakers+Blog&headtitle=Puck-Rakers+Blog

The whole is greater than the sum. We overachieved and the front office realizes that.

Another quote.

He states there can be improvement in the room, but he also states he will be looking outside the room as well.

It's all spelled out for us and the message has been consistent. They are doing a great job of controlling the narrative.

The one thing that I did notice and it might be an oversight, but it was interesting that he wasn't near the top of JK's mind. He didn't mention Johansen in his list. It's things like that I look for and keep note of. I don't make this stuff up. I pay attention to moves, what people say, etc to form and build opinions. I try and make a distinction between my personal thoughts on a player, for example, and what the org seems to think about a player.

I do find it interesting, for example, that RJ has been called out a couple of times. He and I think it was Savard.

Thank you blah for pointing this out. So many are in the mindset that we had a great record down the stretch, and next year we will be even better. I'm so glad that management is taking this for what it was, a hot streak, and a good start. Is Bob going to play at the level he did this season , next year ? Perhaps, but I wouldnt bank on it. And if he doesnt, then scoring becomes much more important. We cant depend on winning games 2 to 1 every night, and thats the truth. The front office still has alot of work to do with our forward group, and their goal is not to build just a team that squeaks in the playoffs, the goal is to build a cup contender. we are heavy on depth in our defensive core, and very thin with our forward group. I expect that to be adressed this offseason.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Few in the 21st century even know of Jack Adams but "Trader Jack" doesn't have a Trophy named after him for nothing..... make the trade Jack!!! or hit the road..

He took a team that had won three Cups in four years, gutted it because of some delusional belief that players who have success inherently lose their desire to continue success, and sent the team into a 42-year spiral that involved only flashes of contending.

As for the trophy being named after him, big deal. Everything of those days was self-serving for the powers-that-be.

"Do nothing be patient" right?? Those days are over now.

Does this team know what it has with Atkinson? Johansen? Calvert? The only guys who have truly peaked are a couple on the back end (Wisniewski, Tyutin) or up front (Umberger, Prospal).

I'm not saying "patience for the sake of patience". I'm saying that there are several players who have top line potential, and simply moving them to "be aggressive" could be a huge setback.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Thank you blah for pointing this out. So many are in the mindset that we had a great record down the stretch, and next year we will be even better.

Better than 19-5-5? Not likely.

Better than a ninth place conference finish? Yeah, I'm confident this is a playoff team.

Does this team know what it has with Atkinson? Johansen? Calvert? The only guys who have truly peaked are a couple on the back end (Wisniewski, Tyutin) or up front (Umberger, Prospal).

I'm not saying "patience for the sake of patience". I'm saying that there are several players who have top line potential, and simply moving them to "be aggressive" could be a huge setback.

Exactly. Add to that list, Jenner, Murray, Zaar, etc...and what ever we grab out of the first round this year. Don't sell the future to gamble on upgrades.

The last 20 regular season games is a pretty good predicter of the next season. This season was nothing like the year Mason/Nash led up to the playoffs. Those last 20 games were piss poor. Mason was solved, the writing was on the wall.

If JK can make some low risk upgrades, then great, but there is nothing wrong with using the draft picks and re-signing the guys we had last year IMO. Don't get over anxious and get burned...I'm starting to wonder if that Gaborik deal wasn't just that. Maybe the Rangers new something we didn't about his health.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I'm firmly convinced you and Nordique are ignoring the GM's own words simply to prop up the position you both think he should have.

I'm not arguing that we're not sure of the peak, but JK acknowledged he expects more from the players you listed and still wants to add. Those thoughts are acknowledged and yet they aren't giving them pause.

Bizarre concept. Come up with responsible expectations for growth, consider where you will be, and make decisions while considering contingencies in the event expectations aren't met.

Take charge of your own fate and don't live in fear. I've always hated that line of thinking, being worried that your decisions are the wrong ones and that you are going to make it worse. That is an ineffective leader.

This is the most important quote from JK and I think I'll see if I can actually have a signature and add it to it.

The whole is greater than the sum. I also want to realize that we have a lot work to do.

Those two sentences sums up last season and our direction. The whole was greater than the sum.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Maybe this is a Howson thing, but I don't want JK making moves just to put his own signature on this team. Howson made some boneheaded moves in hindsight, but he got it right his last 12 months here.

This is Howson's team, and its a very good team, a team I think has the potential to contend year in and out for the next 4-5 years based on its current roster supplemented with some sound drafting and development, and the occasional UFA stop gap addition. When I say contend, I mean beyond the 1st round of the playoffs.

If JK can upgrade that, then fantastic, but don't do so at the expense of the future prospect pool or at the risk of moving a guy that can contribute.

I hope Gaborik pans out, I've always liked his game, but I'm a little nervous tbh. If we have more of those type moves to look forward to this summer, I'd just as soon retain our youth and develop from within.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe this is a Howson thing, but I don't want a JK making moves just to put his own signature on this team.

Now how are we going to define this? If JD/JK have a plan for building the team, and a player transaction becomes available or they pursue a player transaction that fits with that plan, is the "making a move just to put their sown signature on the team"?

It's the "just" in your statement that's garbage, quite frankly. Jarmo was hired to do a job. I expect him to do it.

And, to pre-answer the questions, sure I'm good with it if, in order to execute the plan, no significant player movement takes place.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He took a team that had won three Cups in four years, gutted it because of some delusional belief that players who have success inherently lose their desire to continue success, and sent the team into a 42-year spiral that involved only flashes of contending.

FWIW, I think that belief is certainly true in most players. It seems logical to me that all players spend their career chasing the cup. Those lucky enough to win a cup are certainly a small percentage of players. The large portion of those who do win would inevitably be content with reaching their goal and may not have such a burning desire to win it again.

Only a rare breed of hockey player hates losing so much that they would want to win it year in and year out. Sidney Crosby appears to be that player. From what I hear Brandon Dubinsky hates losing. Those are the players we all want. The CBJ may finally have enough of them to make a difference, hence the play this season but those types of players are not exactly a dime a dozen in the NHL. That hunger and desire to turn 1 into 2 and so forth is a hard quality to find in people, not just in hockey.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Now how are we going to define this? If JD/JK have a plan for building the team, and a player transaction becomes available or they pursue a player transaction that fits with that plan, is the "making a move just to put their sown signature on the team"?

It's the "just" in your statement that's garbage, quite frankly. Jarmo was hired to do a job. I expect him to do it.

And, to pre-answer the questions, sure I'm good with it if, in order to execute the plan, no significant player movement takes place.

I was under the impression Jarmo's #1 qualification was his drafting history with STL and OTT... Havlat, Hossa, Emery, Pietrangelo, Oshie, Berglund, Perron, Backes. I'm not against moves, but as I said above, I would hate to see integral pieces to this team and its future moved:

Prospal
Letestu
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Foligno
Atkinson
Calvert
Johansen
McKenzie
Boll

Johnson
Tyutin
Prout
Erixon

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Maybe this is a Howson thing, but I don't want JK making moves just to put his own signature on this team.

Sweet, how we have the dreaded "I'm just a GM making moves to look super cool" argument. You must be paranoid about JD doing that as well, since there is someone that JK has to answer to that isn't named Priest that actually knows something about Hockey.

I hope Gaborik pans out, I've always liked his game, but I'm a little nervous tbh. If we have more of those type moves to look forward to this summer, I'd just as soon retain our youth and develop from within.

Since I didn't give a crap out 2 of the 3 pieces I didn't see it as a big deal. I'm not worried about it if Gaborik doesn't work out. Obviously I would prefer he does, but if he doesn't no big deal. Calculated move and I didn't rip Howson when get got Carter and I like Jake far more than Brassard.

The next move is the big deal.

An amazing amount of nervous individuals.

As a fan base we get what we asked for over the years and when we do get it, we get the people that won't even give them a chance. That is unless we consider a couple of months a chance. I mean he's resigned two players to excellent extensions, and brought us someone that could very well replace Nash's goal scoring for what was mostly depth. There wasn't a single current core player in that move other than maybe Dorse and we proved we could win without him.

After the trade we continued to win and there was no evidence of any problems in the room. After the Gaborik deal our team scoring did increase. We scored 3 or more goals in 8 of 12 games and a lot of that damage was on the road. Coincidence? Maybe. Teams keying on Gaborik? Maybe.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I was under the impression Jarmo's #1 qualification was his drafting history with STL and OTT... Havlat, Hossa, Emery, Pietrangelo, Oshie, Berglund, Perron, Backes. I'm not against moves, but as I said above, I would hate to see integral pieces to this team and its future moved:

Prospal
Letestu
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Foligno
Atkinson
Calvert
Johansen
McKenzie
Boll

Johnson
Tyutin
Prout
Erixon

OK, but what would give you the impression that JK is interested in making a move "just" to put his stamp on the team? Because we haven't defined what that means yet, and now we have to define what "integral to the team" means. Or, rather, determine from whose perspective we are supposed to view "integral."

So:
1) Can we figure out what you mean by "just to put his signature"? Because if it's a) a pointlessly shocking personnel move, I have to wonder why you think that's something he's interested in. And if it's b) a move made to further the plan for building the team moving forward, I ask again, isn't that his job?

2) Can we determine a perspective for "integral"? You may have a list, and I may have a list, and I'm pretty sure JK and JD have a list.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Prospal
Letestu
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Foligno
Atkinson
Calvert
Johansen
McKenzie
Boll

Johnson
Tyutin
Prout
Erixon

What I think is intriguing about the Jackets current roster is that there really aren't any untouchables on it, save Bob and perhaps JJ.

Other than Gaborik, there isn't a proven scorer and he's only signed for one more year.

Almost every player on the roster is a tradeable commodity without huge "seller's remorse" probability. I don't see any lurking superstars in the mix.

I'm of the belief that the whole was greater than the sum of the parts this past season and wouldn't be at all disappointed to see some of the pieces moved to improve the team's offensive capabilities. By, the same token, there is no need for wholesale changes. If the CBJ managment philosophy is going to be a combination of letting the current players grow, adding ready prospects in the organization, drafting, and occasionally signing a needed UFA, then I wouldn't have an problem with that.

I suspect that there will be a deal prior to draft day. I don't think it's reasonable to expect that the defensive performance of the 2013-14 Jackets will be as good as this past season, so the need to beef up the offense remains. It's going to be very interesting to see if management soldiers on with RJUmberger or bites the bullet via an amnesty buyout.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The whole is greater than the sum.

Having passed on the "there will be more guys taken late in the first round this year" comment (paraphrasing a bit) I'm going to channel my inner DSL and ask how can the whole be greater than the sum? Unless its the sum of 90% of the parts. :laugh::laugh:

I get the point but always looking for the cheap laugh.

ps I believe that was Blah quoting jarmo originally.

Last edited:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

Prospal
Letestu
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Foligno
Atkinson
Calvert
Johansen
McKenzie
Boll

Johnson
Tyutin
Prout
Erixon

The only player on my no movement list is Bobrovsky, and the only reason for that is because it takes the Blue Jackets a decade to find winning goalies... This no movement stuff reminds me of the same old argument used by many if not most to keep Rick Nash... As for JK, only Davidson knows why he was hired, when push comes to shove John Davidson is the guy who is running this team....

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Wow, you guys are seriously protective of Jarmo.

Robert, I have to respectfully disagree. I'd have 4 or 5 untouchables. I think I'm in the minority on that one.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Wow, you guys are seriously protective of Jarmo.

Robert, I have to respectfully disagree. I'd have 4 or 5 untouchables. I think I'm in the minority on that one.

I think you are right. A lot of people here probably have more than 4 or 5.

I'm with Robert in that Bob should be the only true untouchable at this point.

Not saying there should be a fire sale but all save Bob should be available for the right price.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Obviously no one is "untouchable". The "right" deal means anyone can be moved and the expectation is that you improve the team in some regard (long term, short term, position strenght etc.).

I love Bob too and given he played for a very long stretch, in a critical juncture, I would be hesistant to move him. I'm also hesitant to move a guy like Jack Johnson. Not because he's all world, but he seems to embody the path forward. Competitive, appears to love it, works hard, great contract and is an above average player. I have no idea what GM's think but they look at a hell of a lot more than we, as fans, do. I think anyone can be available at this point but moving Bob would be the most difficult right now.

When you have a goalie that appears to be willing and able to carry the load at a high level I think they become the most valuable asset you have. You only play one goalie in a game unlike the other positions that have 3 or 4 deep for each position. A #1 C may be most coveted but a #1 G may be the most important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad