News Article: 2013-14 News & Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Just goes to show you that fans care about "advanced stats" crap, but players don't.

Players care about goals, assists and even the crappy +/- stat.

Its just that these stats are relatively new and most people are slow to adopt them.

They will soon care very much.

Just like in MoneyBall. The old school scouts could care less about advanced indicators (OB %) and were very resistant to change.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Just goes to show you that fans care about "advanced stats" crap, but players don't.

If his boss(es) is using it as part of his performance evaluation, it's something he should care about. Fishman goes to the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference every year, so I think it's safe to say they use these stats (or, as NBTW suggested, better ones) in some capacity.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
If his boss(es) is using it as part of his performance evaluation, it's something he should care about. Fishman goes to the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference every year, so I think it's safe to say they use these stats (or, as NBTW suggested, better ones) in some capacity.

He probably goes to rub elbows down the road with his Harvard boys.

2943877706_1e61cc6c16_b.jpg

He was wearing my Harvard tie!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I think NOTHING is "safe to say" at this point. You're suggesting execs are using stats to make key decisions but it seems the players have no clue what those are. Yep, sounds exactly like our Washington Capitals.

Call me crazy, but if you're evaluating your employees using certain metrics, shouldn't you, oh I don't know, brief your employees on what the metrics are? F'ng Poderous....

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Fishman is also the same guy that signed Jeff Schultz to that contract on the first offer so his analytic ability is pretty questionable. Players don't need to know the individual metrics to execute a clearly designed game plan informed by analytics. I think it's fair to say that Adam Oates completely disregards any sort of analytic bent in his dump and chase approach. If analytics are used within the organization I doubt it's a very prominent role and, if they are, they're probably a bastardized version that fits their kooky approach (touches and so forth).

Last edited:

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I think it would be a mistake for a coach to discuss Corsi or Fenwick with his players because the obvious conclusion would be "I should shoot more" since that's all those "advanced statistics" track. In reality the metrics mean "we should shoot more when I'm on the ice" but the only way for a single player to directly influence that stat is to shoot more himself.

In my opinion they are useless to correct behavior or improve performance. Yes, it is a predictor of success so you can look backwards and say "how did this player do relative to his +/- performance" or you can use it as a tool to say "I might like to try and acquire this player because he has a positive Corsi even though he doesn't take a lot of shots himself." But if you try and influence the stat you don't necessarily influence success. A bad shot is still a bad shot whether it increases your advanced stats or not but any player who is trying to improve his Corsi will just take more shots.

Switching topics - Kolzig just got named to DC Sports Hall of Fame. Does that mean we can't fire him? Or do we just have to wait a little while?

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
It's not like Fishman determined the terms of what the players are to be paid. The GM provides the parameters, the negotiator executes to the best deal he can under the guidelines given by his boss.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Grabs Likes Oates

“I like playing for Adam Oates,” Grabovski said. “He’s a completely different coach than I had before. He’s nice to players and spends time with players.

“You understand what he wants. Sometimes you don’t need to scream at people. He puts in your head what you need to do on the ice. He explains everything.

“You just need to come and work hard, not have somebody stand behind you and punch you in the back and say, ‘Let’s go, let’s go.’

‘”You just need to understand Adam Oates’ system. He’s not a guy who’s going to yell and scream at you.”

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It must be common to tune out a coach that yells all the time. So Grabo seems a good fit for Oates since he works hard without having to be begged. I was happy with Grabo and pretty much all the grinders that work hard. For Oates to work, a GM has to trade the players that refuse to put in an honest days work. Ain't happening here! So it's just far easy to try a new coach.

So Laich failed his physical. Is it possible to fail it on purpose? It would sure seem so. I find it odd that he looked his best in 2 years right before having to have surgery, and that he seemed to be pushing hard to come back even though we missed the loffs. I wonder if he and management can agree on the surgery he had this time around.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Grabs Likes Oates

“I like playing for Adam Oates,†Grabovski said. “He’s a completely different coach than I had before. He’s nice to players and spends time with players.

“You understand what he wants. Sometimes you don’t need to scream at people. He puts in your head what you need to do on the ice. He explains everything.

“You just need to come and work hard, not have somebody stand behind you and punch you in the back and say, ‘Let’s go, let’s go.’

‘â€You just need to understand Adam Oates’ system. He’s not a guy who’s going to yell and scream at you.â€

695.gif

Liberati0n*

What really sucks is Ted could read that and factor it into his decisions.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It must be common to tune out a coach that yells all the time. So Grabo seems a good fit for Oates since he works hard without having to be begged. I was happy with Grabo and pretty much all the grinders that work hard. For Oates to work, a GM has to trade the players that refuse to put in an honest days work. Ain't happening here! So it's just far easy to try a new coach.

So Laich failed his physical. Is it possible to fail it on purpose? It would sure seem so. I find it odd that he looked his best in 2 years right before having to have surgery, and that he seemed to be pushing hard to come back even though we missed the loffs. I wonder if he and management can agree on the surgery he had this time around.

Not a chance. Brooks Laich maybe a lot of things but he is NOT THAT GUY.

And really players may actually PREFER to get bought out and then double dip (Grabovski anyone??)

Laich loves the team. He just strikes me as that kinda guy who would change some random persons tire on way home after crushing game 7 defeat...

Darkproducer

Mar 25, 2008
Not a chance. Brooks Laich maybe a lot of things but he is NOT THAT GUY.

And really players may actually PREFER to get bought out and then double dip (Grabovski anyone??)

Laich loves the team. He just strikes me as that kinda guy who would change some random persons tire on way home after crushing game 7 defeat...

It's pretty bad when I stop caring if players "like" the team. You are not getting paid millions to like your team and your job. Put up some points, be a leader, stop yapping to the media, and be productive in your play and not in your words.

Don't fall into the trap of feeling sorry for Oates and GMGM. They are horrible at their current jobs.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It's pretty bad when I stop caring if players "like" the team. You are not getting paid millions to like your team and your job. Put up some points, be a leader, stop yapping to the media, and be productive in your play and not in your words.

Don't fall into the trap of feeling sorry for Oates and GMGM. They are horrible at their current jobs.

A healthy Brooks Laich is all those things. A very valuable player.

His health is in serious question.

Darkproducer

Mar 25, 2008
A healthy Brooks Laich is all those things. A very valuable player.

His health is in serious question.

Well, I hope they bring in new trainers and med staff and the whole 9 yards, otherwise every player with groin injuries will be LTIR every other month.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Grabs Likes Oates

“I like playing for Adam Oates,†Grabovski said. “He’s a completely different coach than I had before. He’s nice to players and spends time with players.

‘â€You just need to understand Adam Oates’ system. He’s not a guy who’s going to yell and scream at you.â€

Didn't Katie tweet a few days ago confirming that Ovi, Backy, and Carlson all want Oates to stay?

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Didn't Katie tweet a few days ago confirming that Ovi, Backy, and Carlson all want Oates to stay?

What else are they going to say when questioned about it? It would look horrible if they said anything else and they're not stupid.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
What else are they going to say when questioned about it? It would look horrible if they said anything else and they're not stupid.

Ovi will be killed for anything he says, you're right.

Hell, people even ride him for saying he wants Oates back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad