Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 10

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
trust me I'm as sick of saying this as many probably are of hearing it but...
Gagner faceoff %
46, 43, 47 the past 3 seasons

so that would make 6 Cs and counting with only 1 above 50%. Gagner does nothing Kadri can't already provide

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
No way we get Gagner imo. Nothing against him, but he's basically a 2/3 line C and we already have 3 of those in Bozak/Kadri/Bolland. Could even throw Holland in that group.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
But why?? What did Mackenzie say exactly??

Would it be too much to ask Carlyle to try Holland on Kadri's wing... Seriously!

He said that Edmonton is trying to move Hemsky, Gagner before the deadline and seeing how we're getting rumors about Gagner to the leafs (back from early season) I think we MIGHT trade Gagner.

This is just a hunch, so it might not be true, lol.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
What did BobMc say about us/Gagner?

It's old news, but he said that Oilers GM is trying to move Gagner, Hemsky before the deadline.

I'm just speculating that since Nonis had some interest for Gagner in the past, we might trade some assets for him. Like I said before I'm speculating so it's not 100% correct.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Franson + Reimer + Kadri
for
Gagner + Yak + Bryz

I don't know....I don't really like anything involving a trade with edmonton unless it involves RNH.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Franson + Reimer + Kadri
for
Gagner + Yak + Bryz

I don't know....I don't really like anything involving a trade with edmonton unless it involves RNH.

I don't think Edm does this trade because they value yakupov a lot more than the pieces were trading him for. He is a former first overall pick after all.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Now that Matt Greene is back off the IR, what do you think the Leafs could do in terms of a trade for him?

To Los Angeles:
D Cody Franson
F Mason Raymond

To Toronto:
D Matt Greene
2014 3rd round conditional pick (based on him signing in TO)

This solves a couple problems with having another PK guy and shutdown player that will compliment Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner.

Los Angeles needs scoring and Raymond could help out on that front. Leafs bring in Trevor Smith for that role at a league minimum contract or even Josh Leivo up from the Marlies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Now that Matt Greene is back off the IR, what do you think the Leafs could do in terms of a trade for him?

To Los Angeles:
D Cody Franson
F Mason Raymond

To Toronto:
D Matt Greene

This solves a couple problems with having another PK guy and shutdown player that will compliment Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner.

Los Angeles needs scoring and Raymond could help out on that front. Leafs bring in Trevor Smith for that role at a league minimum contract or even Josh Leivo up from the Marlies.

I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Smith has done really well for us when he was put in a scoring role. Put Leivo appears ready anyway.

Gleason - Rielly
Garidner - Greene

Pretty good bottom 4 D IMO

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I like Greene but the price seems too steep. The way I see it, Raymond can net us at least a 2nd and Franson a 2nd + B prospect. It's basically 2 2nd's + B prospect for Matt Greene which I think is an overpayment.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

To Los Angeles:
D Cody Franson
F Mason Raymond

To Toronto:
D Matt Greene

Trading for Matt Greene is a short-sighted move. He's a pending UFA who can walk at the end of the year.

Greene has also been the # 6/7 Dman in LA this season averaging less the 16 minutes a night. It begs the question is he a better player then Ranger or Franson who are both asked to do a lot more when in the lineup averaging close to 20 minutes a night or does he simply have an easier role on a better team?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
If what Mckenzie saying is right then I think we might land Gagner (who I think isn't necessary to the team)

Gagner doesn't really fit what we need but if we got him for next to nothing he could be an interesting project.

Gagner does have high upside and only two years left on his contract. He'd be a project but lets not forget we also got Lupul when we was at his lowest point in value in his career and it has worked out well for us.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
I wouldn't mind seeing the leafs go after Ales Hemsky. I personally think he could bring quite a bit more then he has shown in the last few season. Opens a door to move a forward and a dman for an upgrade on D.

Depending on the price tag I wouldn't mind something like this at all.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I wouldn't mind seeing the leafs go after Ales Hemsky. I personally think he could bring quite a bit more then he has shown in the last few season. Opens a door to move a forward and a dman for an upgrade on D.

Depending on the price tag I wouldn't mind something like this at all.

As a UFA on a cheap deal I'd take a risk on him similar to how we got CMac or Raymond.

But I wouldn't trade anything for him.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Weren't the Gagner rumours popping up at the same time as the Kadri rumours? I'd like to think that ship has sailed and Nonis moved on.

It'd be so pointless to acquire Gagner and I'd lose all faith in Nonis if he dealt someone like Kadri or Gardiner for him.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Trading for Matt Greene is a short-sighted move. He's a pending UFA who can walk at the end of the year.

Greene has also been the # 6/7 Dman in LA this season averaging less the 16 minutes a night. It begs the question is he a better player then Ranger or Franson who are both asked to do a lot more when in the lineup averaging close to 20 minutes a night or does he simply have an easier role on a better team?

That's a good point.

In my eyes, the reason that you are trading for someone like Greene is to solidify a spot in your bottom 4 for the next 3 years. It gives the team stability and an edge for the that time period. I would say he's an upgrade over both Ranger and Franson based on the fact that he's had more of a consistent production over the past couple years and also understands how to play a better role.

Giving up Raymond and Franson would be a bit of a high price for someone like Greene who is a free agent. But you have to take into consideration that, the Leafs will likely get a prospect or a pick for Raymond and that won't help the team within the next 3-4 years and is going to get paid more than 1 mill next season.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
That's a good point.

In my eyes, the reason that you are trading for someone like Greene is to solidify a spot in your bottom 4 for the next 3 years. It gives the team stability and an edge for the that time period. I would say he's an upgrade over both Ranger and Franson based on the fact that he's had more of a consistent production over the past couple years and also understands how to play a better role.

Giving up Raymond and Franson would be a bit of a high price for someone like Greene who is a free agent. But you have to take into consideration that, the Leafs will likely get a prospect or a pick for Raymond and that won't help the team within the next 3-4 years and is going to get paid more than 1 mill next season.

We aren't contenders yet so I don't think we should be trading for any pending UFAs who could walk for nothing.

I'd rather just trade Raymond for picks straight up once Bolland returns. Bolland can fill Raymonds spot for this year as a winger to lessen the skating responsibilities with Bolland due to coming off a major leg injury. I'd also keep Holland in the top 9 and actually give him more time then he has been getting.

That pick might never amount to anything but I view it as more ammo for Nonis to make another Bernier or Bolland type deal in the off-season. Or simply draft more players this off-season which means picks/prospects we can deal down the road when we are really close to being a contender and need that player or two to put us over the top.

Adding someone like Greene, Stralman, Robidas, Hainsey, Fayne, Gilbert, etc. on a 1 or in some cases 2 year max deal in the off-season if we've got the cap space I'm all for. I like the idea of heading into the season with too many bodies on the blueline then not enough.

Last edited:

mikebel111*

Del Zotto........Gagner?

I like Nonis, but what is he thinking here? Both guys are the exact opposite of what we need.

I like MDZ. And wouldnt have minded if we got him. But not for gardiner
But gagner? Nonis is confusing me here. And even with the MDZ thing, we need defence.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
We aren't contenders yet so I don't think we should be trading for any pending UFAs who could walk for nothing.

I'd rather just trade Raymond for picks straight up once Bolland returns. Bolland can fill Raymonds spot for this year as a winger to lessen the skating responsibilities with Bolland due to coming off a major leg injury. I'd also keep Holland in the top 9 and actually give him more time then he has been getting.

That pick might never amount to anything but I view it as more ammo for Nonis to make another Bernier or Bolland type deal in the off-season. Or simply draft more players this off-season which means picks/prospects we can deal down the road when we are really close to being a contender and need that player or two to put us over the top.

Adding someone like Greene, Stralman, Robidas, Hainsey, Fayne, Gilbert, etc. on a 1 or in some cases 2 year max deal in the off-season if we've got the cap space I'm all for. I like the idea of heading into the season with too many bodies on the blueline then not enough.

I think that Nonis is thinking that the Leafs will be contenders, sooner rather than later. Atleast, he's made gradual steps to put them in that situation. They've got a lot of young players and getting them surrounded by the right veterans is crucial to their development.

Getting Matt Greene would be beneficial for a couple reasons:

1. Not overpaying ($$ wise) for a guy that you will have to do so in free agency. ie. You aren't going to give Dan Girardi $5mill+ and regret it in year 2 or 3.

2. He's a leader and right handed shot.

3. Would greatfully improve the PK and physical aspect of the back end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad