Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 10

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Lots of rumours out there... I think we get blown out of the water tonight by Tampa and a trade goes down tomorrow.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Lots of rumours out there... I think we get blown out of the water tonight by Tampa and a trade goes down tomorrow.

Nonis is extremely patient and doesn't do reactionary trades, very methodical and takes his time.

I forget who said it, but it was basically along the lines that you are more likely to get a trade done with Nonis when the team is winning than when the team is losing.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Think next season:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri -------
------ Bolland - Clarkson
McClement Holland Bodie/Orr

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner ----------
Gleason - Reilly

Bernier
------

One could argue guys off the Marlies could fill every spot except #2 RW

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Think next season:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri -------

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner ----------
Gleason - Reilly

Bernier
------

If Kadri is going to be a top 6 C he needs to improve his faceoff % ...by a lot , or show he can play wing and then add another C.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
lmao.....bolland sucks at faceoffs too? should we move him to wing as well?

probably

Currently the only C over 50% is the 4th line C and the only other one that has shown capable is Bozak. except for this year.

So that's 5 Cs on this roster with only the 4th line C being above 50%. that's ****

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
probably

Currently the only C over 50% is the 4th line C and the only other one that has shown capable is Bozak. except for this year.

So that's 5 Cs on this roster with only the 4th line C being above 50%. that's ****

people pay way to much attention to F/O%, sometimes it hits the ref, sometimes the wingers pick it up, as long as u have one guy u can count on at the end of the game to win a key draw ur fine (bozak).

its like people want kadri gone cause he cant win a faceoff... last time i checked faceoff percentage didn't deteremine wins/losses goals did

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Think next season:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri -------

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner ----------
Gleason - Reilly

Bernier
------

i dont see holland fitting in long term on the 4th line. i could see him being tried at wing if that was the only option or i could see nonis trying to make a trade including him or kadri to upgrade something.

for giggles though i think we would be just as competitive if we filled in your spots with marlies.

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-leivo
holland-bolland-clarkson
orr-mclemment-mclaren/smith/damigo/ashton/bodie/devane/broll

phaneuf-gunnarson
gardiner-gleason
rielly-percy/macwilliam/grenberg/franson (although i dont think he will be back)

i dont see why nonis would let both kulemin and raymond walk. i think we have more then enough cap space to get everone locked up unless nonis does something exciting and we need to make space for another $7 million player

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
people pay way to much attention to F/O%, sometimes it hits the ref, sometimes the wingers pick it up, as long as u have one guy u can count on at the end of the game to win a key draw ur fine (bozak).

its like people want kadri gone cause he cant win a faceoff... last time i checked faceoff percentage didn't deteremine wins/losses goals did
Doesn't faceoff wins lead to puck possession which leads to a chance of scoring? If you win more faceoffs, you get more puck possession and therefore an opportunity at more goals

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Would be interesting to compare the team faceoff percentages of the last few cup winners. They are probably all near or at the top of the league in their respective years. I could be wrong though.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Doesn't faceoff wins lead to puck possession which leads to a chance of scoring? If you win more faceoffs, you get more puck possession and therefore an opportunity at more goals

Was looking at the standings compared to team face off %. There are exceptions, i.e. Nash (good % , bottom of the standings) and Leafs

but overall if you look at is as a split, teams averaging 50% or higher in faceoffs averaged 8% more pts than teams in the bottom split.

I'm a big possession person so faceoff % is one thing I look at.

Someone brought up the point about being able to teach it. I just haven't seen any improvement that would suggest guys like Kadri, Bolland, Holland will all of a sudden make some big jump. Otherwise you have a C that can't win faceoffs or they move to the wing.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Would be interesting to compare the team faceoff percentages of the last few cup winners. They are probably all near or at the top of the league in their respective years. I could be wrong though.

last two winners were under 50% lol

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I would love to get both Foligno bros, both are really big and skilled... Nick is really skilled, watching him in colombus, hes way better then his ottawa days, guy has some serious talent. Marcus is a nice young player 2, terrific forechecker and down low player with good hands shot and grit. If we could somehow get both these guys our top 9 wingers would be amazing...Kessel, Jvr, LUpul, Clarkson, Foligno 1, foligno 2... i think that would be sweet but its kinda a pipe dream...Dont know how much value they have.

More of an off season move though.

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
I think we could realistically move out MOST of our pending FAs at the deadline and still legitimately compete for a playoff spot. I'd hang onto Bolland to play 3rd line C once he's healthy.

Suppose you were able to get picks for each of the assets listed below:

Raymond (2nd), Kulemin (2nd), McClement (2nd), Fraser (6th), Smith (7th?), Ranger (if he'll waive his NTC) (6th)

I'm sure we could turn that haul of picks into a 1st rounder and a useful player for the stretch drive.

If we were to make RFAs like Franson and Reimer available too, I think we could net even more.

It could be a very interesting few weeks before the deadline!

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I would love to get both Foligno bros, both are really big and skilled... Nick is really skilled, watching him in colombus, hes way better then his ottawa days, guy has some serious talent. Marcus is a nice young player 2, terrific forechecker and down low player with good hands shot and grit. If we could somehow get both these guys our top 9 wingers would be amazing...Kessel, Jvr, LUpul, Clarkson, Foligno 1, foligno 2... i think that would be sweet but its kinda a pipe dream...Dont know how much value they have.

More of an off season move though.

Best we could hope for probably is that we sign the other Rupert and they become similar players.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Thank you Nashville....you saved us.

Michael Del Zotto is not the answer to any problem we have. He's a problem that compounds our problems.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If Nonis was actually interested in acquiring Del Zotto, then I think you have to wonder what he's thinking this team is lacking. It is definitely not the offence.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Think next season:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri -------

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner ----------
Gleason - Reilly

Bernier
------

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Holland/Clarkson
Leivo-Bolland-Clarkson/Holland
Smith-McClement-Bodie

Phaneuf-Girardi
Gardiner-Gunnarsson
Gleason-Rielly

Bernier
Vet backup

Are my guesses. Holland is too good for the 4th line. Like to see him shifted to the wing on either the 2nd or 3rd. 4th line is a crapshoot only certain is McClement( if he signs)

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
If what Mckenzie saying is right then I think we might land Gagner (who I think isn't necessary to the team)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad