Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 10

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The emergence of Gleason has taken a lot of pressure off of acquiring another Dman.

Would like to see Franson, Raymond, Kulemin moved to bring in players that are a better fit.

I'd say start with Fraser to open up cap, then look to move the other guys. I still think we need some defensive defensemen, but as I expected for a long time, Gleason took pressure off the defense. I think Holzer/Ranger paired with Gleason would be good for the bottom line, and just one more top 4 right handed defensive defenseman would be perfect. That way we can also make Gunnarsson/Gardiner available for trade as well.

On forward, we only need a top 6 winger, and have a lot of firepower to get one. Other than that, we just need to acquire picks and prospects, and more importantly cap so that we can resign key players. Bolland will most likely have to take a pay cut unless he really turns it on, McClement can be resigned for another year and then Carrick will be ready to take over. Next season we may move Lupul for cap, but we will have replacements for him in some capacity. McKegg is starting to heat up, Leivo may or may not be ready, etc.

We essentially have a long list of players available and not many needs to be filled.

Needs: Top 6 winger, top 4 right handed defensive defenseman (preferably young), bottom pairing right handed (preferably) defensive defenseman if not satisfied with Ranger/Holzer.
Secondary needs: Top line center if we can get a reasonable price for one. Holland is able to make Kadri available though
Trade Bait: Kadri, Gunnarsson/Gardiner, Franson, Fraser, Brennan, Abbott, Raymond, Kulemin, Smith, Smithson, McLaren and Orr.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Thanks arm chair GM. I am not talking realistically, I am talking from an actual offer standpoint...

Thank you for the compliment again :) As for an actual offer standpoint, I already told you it's a lot and they'd probably not consider anything we have. Not realistically, and not even imaginary. I'm not going to give something really unrealistic...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I want older guys for the team ...
what about Whitney - he could work.

Older guys isn't a bad idea but you need to get rid of our star older guys for max return and replace them on the cheap for minimum assets or FAs but at the same time we have to mind the young guys we have that deserve a shot.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Older guys isn't a bad idea but you need to get rid of our star older guys for max return and replace them on the cheap for minimum assets or FAs but at the same time we have to mind the young guys we have that deserve a shot.

And we have quite a few. Devane, Holland, D'Amigo, Abbott, Kozun, Brennan, Ashton and a few others close to being ready to name them.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
They need left handed defensemen who play like Fraser, and just like how we are planning on adding upon our defense, despite having 8 defensemen on our roster.

no they don't they have 5 left handed Dmen all of whom are better then Fraser, were looking for Dmen because Fraser is terrible he plays the exact style we need yet he's so bad he can't play.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i guess that's the twist.
i really do want the younger guys to come up, but even Nonis has acknowledged we've got to bring in some better support. which in my mind = old guys. someone's gotta go i just don't know who yet

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Kozun won't be an NHL'er. Likely won't be with the organization past this year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
no they don't they have 5 left handed Dmen all of whom are better then Fraser, were looking for Dmen because Fraser is terrible he plays the exact style we need yet he's so bad he can't play.

But none of them are stay-at-home defensemen. Mark Stuart, Tobias Enstrom are both really good defensemen, Adam Pardy isn't better than Mark Fraser, Grant Clitsome is injured right now, and isn't the best defensively, and Keaton Ellerby, whose more inconsistent than Fraser. Plus, they're playing Byfuglien at RW more often, so they don't have very many hard hitters in the back end (Keaton Ellerby is the only one left).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Kozun won't be an NHL'er. Likely won't be with the organization past this year.

Even if he's the next version of Abbott, I'm happy. If he follows the exact same path as Abbott, and starts to get it all together in 2 years (when he's 25), then I can see him at least on spot duty, or playing for a team that has people under 6'0" playing of them.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Apparently the Habs turned down PA Parenteau for Rene Bourque. That sounds really, really awful if Bergevin did, but assuming he did, that means PA Parenteau can be had on the cheap. That's a guy we should be targeting - he's a solid top-6 who can replace either Kulemin or Clarkson on the 2RW spot, and allow us to move Kule for picks. Or we slot him on the left side and move Raymond.

Edit: nm...appears Colorado turned it down based on speculation.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
No, I'm saying if we trade Kadri, Holland would be the guy to replace him. I don't think Nonis will want Holland playing wing. He will want him at center. That's why I'm saying Abbott, Ashton or even Trevor Smith (Leivo should stay in the AHL) would replace Raymond, since they play wing, and Holland would play top line minutes in the AHL as a center.

Holland has nothing more to learn in the AHL. He belongs in the NHL and has shown that when given minutes with skill guys he can play that type of role. I see no reason Holland can't play wing for a period of time also if need be.

Most likely though I see Bolland benefitting from switching to the wing for rest of this season to lessen his responsibilities for backchecking, etc. because his skating ability won't be back to what it was till at least training camp.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Fraser can be added in too. I'm only up to trade Lupul next year or in the offseason though. I want to wait for one of Ashton, Leivo, McKegg, Abbott, Kozun, etc. to be able to take his spot, or else we'd have to acquire someone to replace him.

I'd like to see Fraser moved out but at best expect a late round pick for him. Although he might also be waiver wire material.

Moving him out would bump some AHLers like Brennan, Granberg, Holzer, Percy 1 spot higher in the depth chart and I'd rather give them a call up if we encounter injuries then play Fraser.

For this season I don't think any of our AHL Dmen are a downgrade on career AHLer Fraser who had a career year last year. However this year he didn't have the benefit of a half season of AHL games compared to other players and has had a skull + knee injury to deal with.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Why would LA?

He's getting paid 5.875 M$ a year till 2022. Lupul is 5.25 M$ till 2018. He's being played a lot less this year which could cause them to have him available for trade, not saying he is. We would have to add thou, not sure if it would take + Franson or + Gardiner but I think the basis would be there for a deal. Would I want to do it, of course, I don't think LA would be trading him thou.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Would you guys do a Lupul for Brown (LA) swap?

Personally, no. I think Brown's game will slow down very soon (it may have already, on pace for 29 points) due to his tough play in the past, I believe his body will catch up to him. That, coupled with a 8 year contract at 5.875m coming up which would bring him to the age of 37, I will pass.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
The Leafs need more secondary scoring, not less. Even with all of Lupul's injuries he has somehow outscored Brown since 2011-12 (99 points 180GP for Brown, 114 points 127GP for Lupul). Their production isn't close when Lupul is actually playing. Once upon a time that would seem like a nice deal but Brown's production has been closer to Clarkson's than Lupul's this year.

Bluejaysfan*

We have a worse version of Brown in Clarkson, no need to have another player that plays the same game when we lose a guy like Lupul for it. As bad as Lupul is playing right now, we know he will pick it up in the playoffs or in big games and he will get hot eventually. When he is on fire, his impact is similar to Kessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad